: The strangest car ride you have ever had.

orconn
02-20-11, 09:05 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday, a friend of mine and I were walking up Main Street in Moorestown, New Jersey around 6:30 on a Saturday morning. It was a very foggy, cool morning and we were on our way to our high school to meet up with friends. The year was 1958. As we walked along on the sidewalk we sense a presence looming out of the fog in the roadway alongside us. It was early quiet in its' approach and really only made a sound when the brakes squealed as stopped beside us.

The door opened and the man driving ask us if we would like a ride. There on this foggy morning sat a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost Doctor's Coupe. We accepted the ride which as for the length of the business district of the town. The driver dropped us off at the street leading down to our school and silently motored off into the fog.

I never saw the Rolls again, and I don't think we exchanged names, just a guy off on a Saturday morning drive in his Edwardian Rolls who decided to give a couple of high school kids a ride. Little did he know that at least I was a car buff the ride he offered was one I would remember for the rest of my life!

drewsdeville
02-20-11, 09:21 PM
Strangest ride? Does strangest DRIVE count? I was parting out/scrapping a 1977 Dodge Powerwagon. Torch cut all of the body off, minus the structural sections of the cab to sell for scrap. The driveline was spoken for, so I drove it 5 miles away to the guy - only a frame, fuel tank, driveline, engine, firewall, bench seat and steering wheel with some makeshift tail lights zip tied to the rear framerails so that it looked like I at least attempted to be legal. Looked hilarious.

One of my relatives has pictures somewhere of me doing donuts across the street from the house before I left. If not, it's still sitting where I parked it with a tarp over the engine. I'll snap a shot.

ThumperPup
02-20-11, 09:59 PM
I ran off from school was about maybe in 3rd grade i think not sure of the age because i was held back 1 year
princible came after me drove beside me walking for about 20 minutes i was like nope im not going back not for nothing
she said after about 20 minutes of driving next to me really slow and convinsing me to get in that she would let me sit on her lap and stear why she worked the gas peddle i was skinny back then and tinny was afte rthe first time i ever got sick from my cancer
drove back to the school only took about 2 minutes because we where going faster then my walking lol
pulled in to the parking lot cops where there because they reported a run away mom and dad where there panaking only lived 5 blocks from the school
and they all looked and no one said anything about me being a co driver with stearing the car
they just where amazed she got me to come back no one had ever been able to do that

that is when they found out i had a love for cars

orconn
09-05-14, 09:32 PM
Anybody have any stories to add to this thread?

delerium75
09-06-14, 02:59 AM
I think it was sometime in my sophomore year of college...'94-'95 and I was on my way back to MSU after spending the weekend home, which was about a 100 mile drive and split between I-75 and I-69. Sophomore year I had the old '87 Taurus LX hand-me-down from my folks. Somewhere after getting onto I-69, I see some dude trying to hitch a ride...he had to whole '90s hippie thing going on and was probably in his late 20s...skinny, long messy hair, big backpack, cargo shorts (it was still warm), beard, etc. I thought, "Eh, what harm could come of this???"

So I picked him up and he was grateful for the ride. Found out he was on his way to Chicago. He was also "Man... Dude... Yeah man..." kinda guy so it was a little entertaining just listening to him talk. Then he starts talking about weed and extolling the virtues of all the plant can do besides get people high (I was well versed in its properties those days) so I'm all "Hell yeah, I know it!" "I'm Chris [that's me] by the way" and he says "Chief Wannadube." I say, "What?" "Chief Wannadube," he repeats with a smile. "Say that again? Seriously?!" He was serious alright. He even broke out his license and there it was, plain as day...I was giving Chief Wannadube a ride in the old family Taurus. Needless to say, it was an interesting ride with very interesting conversation the whole way. I more than half expected him to spark one up at any moment the whole drive.

Since he was on his way to Chicago and knowing he'd need to get onto I-94 to do so, I continued on 69 far longer than I needed to...I went about 40 miles out of my way and got him to I-94 and let him off at the first exit where I could turn around and go back so he'd have a straight shot there. I spent the entire drive on the way back to E. Lansing (and off and on the next couple days) thinking about that whole experience. It was so weird and random and neat and a tiny bit scary at all once. I've had a number "WTF?" moments in my life and that's certainly top three for sure. One of the others involves a ride to the movie theater for a midnight showing of "Pink Floyd--The Wall" around that same time frame and I'll just say that much and nothing else. :yup:

BlueAngel#07
09-06-14, 02:15 PM
Old friend of mines 1964 comet. Me and a friend got together with owner of this classic, and after a beer and some deliberation he decided we were going to go for a ride in the (old Comet). We all pile into the car and take off. We go to a park where there's a gathering, and a guy with a 69 Grand Prix. The debate about whose car is fastest takes place. He decides he's going to open it up, (it is was a pretty fast car) what he didn't tell anyone is that it didn't have springs in the car. Instead he had put 2x4's where the springs are SUPPOSED TO GO and we're not anchored in any fashion!
As we got going like the devil one of the 2x4's decided it didn't wanna come with us. Noises that I didn't know a car could make sparks and I think a good box full of parts shot out from underneath. Looked awesome, and no one could stop laughing long enough to care.

Kad4Life
09-06-14, 09:37 PM
Anybody have any stories to add to this thread?

Think I'd have to plead the fifth amendment on that subj .
It was during the sixties .

rodnok01
09-06-14, 09:42 PM
Think I'd have to plead the fifth amendment on that subj .

Need to research some Statutes of limitations myself before posting.

Aron9000
09-07-14, 08:32 AM
At my grandpa's funeral, riding in the big black Fleetwood limo going back to the church after the graveside service. It was July and about 100 degrees that day. The A/C in the limo couldn't keep up, it was stinkin hot in the car, hot in the church, all of us had melted. Grandma and my two aunts were in the back, talking about their hot flashes, cackling like a bunch of hens. I was about 13 at the time, my sister who was like 8 or 9 was asking them what a hot flash was. Oh god get me out of here!!!!

The-Dullahan
09-07-14, 12:32 PM
I rode in a Chrysler once. That was strange.

Cashr22
09-07-14, 05:02 PM
Was it a PT loser?

orconn
09-07-14, 05:20 PM
Yeah, he was carry his deceased pet Boa to the pet cemetery.

Hoosier Daddy
09-07-14, 11:06 PM
Old friend of mines 1964 comet. Me and a friend got together with owner of this classic, and after a beer and some deliberation he decided we were going to go for a ride in the (old Comet). We all pile into the car and take off. We go to a park where there's a gathering, and a guy with a 69 Grand Prix. The debate about whose car is fastest takes place. He decides he's going to open it up, (it is was a pretty fast car) what he didn't tell anyone is that it didn't have springs in the car. Instead he had put 2x4's where the springs are SUPPOSED TO GO and we're not anchored in any fashion!
As we got going like the devil one of the 2x4's decided it didn't wanna come with us. Noises that I didn't know a car could make sparks and I think a good box full of parts shot out from underneath. Looked awesome, and no one could stop laughing long enough to care.
I may know him. I had a friend in high school who jacked up the rear of his car with sections of broom handles which of course were not that strong. If he hit a bump one or both would snap and he would have to stop to replace them from a large stash in the trunk. I stopped riding with him after he added a DIY padded dash. I had no idea he didn't believe in glue until he slammed on the brakes and I threw out my arms to stop myself. My hands compressed the very thick padding and the business end of a very large sheet metal screw appeared right where my forehead would have hit. But I guess the padding would have kept me from bruising my face or denting his dash.