: Took my bone stock 2007 CTS-V to the track today

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 02:44 PM
First i wanted to say hi to everyone here, this is my first post....Was a mustang guy for about 10 years and have owned several mustangs but about 3 months ago i picked a black on black 2007 CTS-V and i have been loving it so far, the car is stock with 35k miles on it. Wasnt too sure what to expect, i been looking at magazine times but wanted to get a base line run myself before i get a couple things done to it. It was about 82 F and 15mph headwind, so not the best conditions but what can ya do:annoyed:
My best run was as follows
60'- 2.138
330- 5.727
1/8-8.615
mph 85.49
1/4-13.168
mph- 108.03

I did get a 2.009 60FT once but missed a gear :banghead: on that run, just as i figured out the launch points i had ran out of gas, so i didnt feel like driving back cause gas station was like 10 miles away....Would be intresting to see if i got it down to a 1.9 60FT even in this 80 degree weather and headwind i think i could have gotten a 12.9.
What have you guys ran in your stock 2004-2008 CTS-Vs? is this a pretty good time?
Lots of people came up to me to talk about the car, everyone kept saying how their so rare:cloud9:
Love this thing! i may go back next week if its cooler, i think this thing has 12s in it bone stock.

kevm14
02-20-11, 02:51 PM
That's either a fast car or a fast track. At the upper end of stock times.

verywhitedevil
02-20-11, 02:59 PM
those are good times for you first time out for sure

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 03:14 PM
That's either a fast car or a fast track. At the upper end of stock times.

really? i thought 13.1 was average haha...well i do drive the piss out of it, powershifting every gear, and i would say im a good driver. Whats average for a stock cts-v in that generation? I just started reading the Cadillac message boards a few days ago and havent really seen anyone post any times of their stock cars. I am a 10yr member on a mustang message board but im just now starting to peek around the Cadi boards lol

whisler151
02-20-11, 03:15 PM
That is one of the best stock times i've seen.

I have not taken it to the 1/4 mile but most are mid 13s. Check out dragtimes.com

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 03:34 PM
That is one of the best stock times i've seen.

I have not taken it to the 1/4 mile but most are mid 13s. Check out dragtimes.com

wow thats pretty cool haha, yeah it looks like 13.3 and up is the norm, so im really happy with my times now. Just wish i hadnt ran out of gas because towards the end i was starting to figure out the launch, riding the clutch out of the hole at about 3000rpms seemed to work the best and i got a 2.0 60FT on my last run, but the "low fuel " light had been on 3 runs at the time so i didnt want to risk it and went home...Whats the best time you've seen?

lilgCTS-V
02-20-11, 03:46 PM
very nice times!, this spring im takin my 06 bolt on v back to the track in high hopes for mids 12s with my new clutch setup

Houdini
02-20-11, 03:57 PM
I think I've seen two people post up 12s when they were stock (and they posted their timeslips). I think you have to be a super driver with the stars aligned to get in the 12s with a stock V1. I think your 13.1 is VERY good.

The 12s I saw were like 12.98 with sub 2.0 60s.

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 04:03 PM
I think I've seen two people post up 12s when they were stock (and they posted their timeslips). I think you have to be a super driver with the stars aligned to get in the 12s with a stock V1. I think your 13.1 is VERY good.

The 12s I saw were like 12.98 with sub 2.0 60s.
thats bad ass, now im almost tempted not to mod it and wait for cooler weather hahah...i kept launching it at about 2500 and feathering the clutch and kept getting 2.1 60FTs, a mustang guy suggested i launch higher and just ride the clutch, i did that and got a few 2.0 60FTs but messed up the shifts on those runs. I need one more trip to the track, i think i got the launch down a bit better and im pretty confident i can get a 12 sec slip, especially if its not 80 degrees out

liqidvenom
02-20-11, 04:32 PM
good runs, you can see some of the other people who have run their v1's here...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2010/1336075-cadillac-cts-v-section-1-4-mile-time-list.html

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=liqidvenom;2502993]good runs, you can see some of the other people who have run their v1's here...

Pretty sweet, i am so glad i got this car....and to think i was gonna get a H2 hummer instead :hide:

rand49er
02-20-11, 06:00 PM
You don't say anything about wheelhop. Were you able to avoid it by slipping the clutch?

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 06:43 PM
You don't say anything about wheelhop. Were you able to avoid it by slipping the clutch?

it wheelhopped like a bitch almost every run, but slipping the clutch at a higher rpm seemed to work better...Although i smelled clutch after one of the runs, so i dont know if its worth it:canttalk:

Mangtas83
02-20-11, 06:50 PM
also, do they make aftermarket shifters for this thing? im sure they do, but whats the favororite amongst you guys? My last car was a 04 mustang with a pro 5.0 shifter and its almost impossible to miss a gear with that, this shifter is so sloppy compared to that ( one of my 2 complaints about this car other than the handbreak release being so close to the hood latch). It just feels so unstable, i need to do something about that....I was powershifing on every run and missed 2nd and 4th several times, which those gears you should never miss with a descent shifter....

Houdini
02-20-11, 06:57 PM
Get Pisnuoff's (Brian's) custom short shifter along with uuc shifter bushings:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/192900-custom-short-shifter-ordering-process.html

His custom shifter is awesome, doesn't transmit any additional noise like some of the aftermarket ones can, has the shortest throw, and a great price. Well worth the wait.

wcryan
02-20-11, 07:49 PM
agree with the above post, and you cant beat the price

wcryan
02-20-11, 07:50 PM
hope this doesnt double post, didnt come up

but I agree wiht the above post, and you cant beat the price

rand49er
02-20-11, 09:34 PM
Wait a minute. You did a 13.168 sec 1/4 mile with a stock shifter?!!

This is indeed a record!

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 12:18 AM
Wait a minute. You did a 13.168 sec 1/4 mile with a stock shifter?!!

This is indeed a record!

haha when i say bone stock i mean bone stock :yup:
I was wondering if i'm the only one not happy with the stock shifter, i never missed gears in my stang, but i never had a mustang with the stock shifter either...That was usually the first thing replaced, this shifter definitely needs to go:tisk:

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 07:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/mangtas21/imagejpeg_2.jpg
here is the slip

kevm14
02-21-11, 08:25 AM
I expected all of these cars to trap 108-109 stock, not just a few factory freaks. Most are in the 105 range stock.

V-Guy
02-21-11, 09:13 AM
I have a KaTech short throw shifter in my V and I love it - although I hear nothing but great things about Brian's custom shifter - so you certainly couldn't go wrong there. I also have the Gforce anti-hop axles, and I am a huge fan of those - makes a huge difference in eliminating the wheel hop, which is also minimizing the potential damage that hard launches cause to our differentials. (Before I installed the axles, every time I experienced that "thump, thump, thump" of wheel hop, I had the mental image of someone smacking my diff three times with a sledge hammer.)

Aurora40
02-21-11, 10:10 AM
For what it's worth, my car has a UUC shifter. I have a friend with the stock shifter in an '05. It feels much more precise than his. That said, it still does not feel like a good shifter does. For example, the shifter in my ZF6-equipped C4 is worlds better in terms of slop and smoothness of engagement. I suspect the T56 just isn't as "nice". Though I've never driven a non CTS-V with the T56 to confirm it isn't just Caddies where it's not so great.

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 10:20 AM
I expected all of these cars to trap 108-109 stock, not just a few factory freaks. Most are in the 105 range stock.
i was mostly trapping 106-107 powershifting and 105 if i shifted regularly...Then i turned on "competitive driving mode" and trapped 102, im guessing that was probably like leaving the TC on or something...still havent figured out what the benefit of that setting is....

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 10:25 AM

no offense but most cadillac drivers dont know how to drive, people at the track watching my runs thought my car was an automatic because of how hard i shift this thing, im a mustang guy so driving the piss out of my cars is in my nature...This car would trap 109 if not 110 if there was no headwind and in the 60 degree range.

Houdini
02-21-11, 10:36 AM
I'd suggest you get axles before you beat on it like that again; however, it's good to know your 07 diff is holding up to that abuse.

Mangtas83
02-21-11, 10:39 AM
I'd suggest you get axles before you beat on it like that again; however, it's good to know your 07 diff is holding up to that abuse.
are they really that weak that i should be worried on street tires? I would think cutting 2.1 and 2.0 60FTs would mean my diff is safe lol

V-Guy
02-21-11, 11:47 AM
There are a lot of stories here about guys' diffs exploding while accellerating hard enough to cause wheel hop. Since you said the car was hopping like crazy, its safe to say that you were putting a lot of strain on the diff. I agree with Houdini - it's great to hear that your diff stood up to the strain, but if you plan to do high-RPM launches very often, the anti-hop axles would be a really good idea.

But hey, I don't mean to be negative. The real point is that you had a great day at the track - and your times are fantastic - expecially for a stock V with a stock shifter - and in those conditions. Great work!!

Guy

Mangtas83
02-24-11, 06:40 AM
Thanks everyone, glad to hear i did good for what this car is capable of. If it cools off one more time before it heats up here in Tampa i'm going to make 1 more trip to the track stock, i really think i can get 12s

RADEoN
02-24-11, 01:33 PM
i am so glad i got pisnuoff's custom shifter, easily the best mod i've done to my car, and that includes straight pipes, hollow cats, k&n intake, and LS7 clutch setup.

DRod
02-24-11, 04:16 PM
Great time! I just picked up an '07, and I've been looking for a thread with 1/4-mile times. Kinda surprised there isn't one actually. The 2009+ guys have one.

So, now I've got a new goal. I definitely wondered whether or not these were capable of 12.9x times bone stock. And now I know. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 05:41 PM
And I used to be impressed with my 13.5 on RS-A tires. Damn. That's an excellent time.

I agree with the others, you don't want to make a habit of runs like that in this car.

tweeter81
02-24-11, 05:42 PM
There is a reason that there isn't a 1/4 Mile time thread. Research, wheelhop and stock rear diff problems.

Drive your car however you want to and have fun with it, but these cars are terrible drag cars, and most people never run decent (or even respectable) times (without dropping HUGE amounts of money on the car) and/or break diffs on the track sometimes. Either way, those situations are to be avoided. Do yourself a favor and try an HPDE on a road course, and you will never go back to drag racing. Just my two cents. I will shut up now and let this thread go on.

Disclaimer: This post isn't for the old CTS-V crowd, this is targeted at the new guys who haven't been around these cars or forums for that long who might not have a clue about the vast amount of documented diff problems/drag strip breakdowns/wheelhop carnage. Just trying to help out. :)

JimmyH
02-24-11, 05:58 PM
well, if you think about it, you really don't want to drag race any car alot that was not built for it. I have seen plenty of drivetrains break at the track.

tweeter81
02-24-11, 06:52 PM
well, if you think about it, you really don't want to drag race any car alot that was not built for it. I have seen plenty of drivetrains break at the track.

Exactly, and our cars happen to be even more prone to breakage at the track than the average sports/luxury/high horsepower car. I don't like it and I'm not proud of it, but thems the facts.

DWF0551
02-25-11, 11:30 AM
Wow great times, my very first 1/4 mile run, 1st car after rain delay, fresh VHT on the track, dumped the clutch at 3k rpm and snapped dr side axle it didn't even get a chance to wheel hop. I welded another pipe to the bottom of the stock shifter and moved the control rod down to shorten the throw, I like it. I believe your missing 2nd and 4th gears may be related to clutch hydraulic fluid contamination. Use a turkey baster and suck the fluid out of the clutch reservoir and put in fresh, pump the clutch due this many times. I do it over a number of days. Both these upgrades have threads about them. Welcome.

JimmyH
02-25-11, 01:45 PM
dumped the clutch at 3k rpm and snapped dr side axle

I was at the track once, saw two cars, right in a row, do that. A Mustang, and a Cutlass, I think.

DRod
02-25-11, 02:54 PM
There is a reason that there isn't a 1/4 Mile time thread. Research, wheelhop and stock rear diff problems.

I hear you loud & clear. I used to own a Grand Prix GTP. Same situation. Diff made of styrofoam. Transmission made of butter. But it was fun to run down the track. Regardless, I'll be taking you up on the road course suggestion. THAT will be a blast!

tweeter81
02-25-11, 06:36 PM
I hear you loud & clear. I used to own a Grand Prix GTP. Same situation. Diff made of styrofoam. Transmission made of butter. But it was fun to run down the track. Regardless, I'll be taking you up on the road course suggestion. THAT will be a blast!

Good man, good man! You won't regret it. The weird thing about our cars is even though they don't like the drag strip, they run better and better the harder you flog them on the track. When we actually use the car for the purpose that the GM designers envisioned for it, it is plain to see how great the chasis, suspension, and motor is. I haven't reached the limits of what my V can do yet (maybe never will), but the harder I drive her, the better she performs and the more fun I have.

PISNUOFF
02-26-11, 08:20 AM
are they really that weak that i should be worried on street tires? I would think cutting 2.1 and 2.0 60FTs would mean my diff is safe lol

Your '07 diff will be fine. I beat the living dog snot out of mine for years with over 400 rwHp without having any diff problems. I twisted off a stub shaft in it once and it still hasn't broken. I also drive through the wheel hop All the time. I now have over 1500 miles of flogging it with over 500 rwHp and it's not giving me any issues. I've also make about 40 passes down the 1/4 with quite a few 60' just under 2.0.

I've also done about 18 road course track days and they are a ton more fun than the 1/4. A ton more expensive also.

Keep driving it how you want, I seriously don't think you'll have any diff problem.

Mangtas83
04-30-11, 09:24 AM
How hard is it installing a shifter on this car? In my Mustang the shifter cover that popped off and it was real simple, doesnt look like the shifter boot pops off on this car, does it have to be done from under the car?

Mangtas83
09-08-12, 01:45 PM
got cutouts and air filter now...when it cools off shooting for a 12.9!

carlson_mn
09-08-12, 10:51 PM
sub'd to see massive gains due to the air filter mod! jk. good luck though.

Mangtas83
09-10-12, 01:04 AM
sub'd to see massive gains due to the air filter mod! jk. good luck though.hahaha i just want a 12.9 damnit :D
My last 3 mustangs and now this car, all in the 13s i'm ready for a 12 sec slip :o