: Always check over the work that a shop does on your car...

perfect
02-20-11, 11:55 AM
And don't let wires touch your headers for too long. :banghead:

Last Fall I took my car to MC Racing in Lenexa, KS to have them install my Kooks headers on my 05V. I only went to them because they agreed to do the install at a flat rate ($400 for the install) instead of paying an hourly shop rate that could have made my bill skyrocket because of installation complications.

So I've had the headers on my car now for almost 6 months. I haven't been driving much in the last few winter months. I have been throwing CEL's related to 02 sensors for quite a while and finally was able to throw my car up on my mechanic-buddy's lift.

Here's what we found:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/delussional77/CTS-VHeadersBurned1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/delussional77/CTS-VHeadersBurned.jpg

They left the pre-cat 02 cables and clip rest directly on the headers and they hare melted and burned to hell!

They made no attempt to zip-tie them or move them away from the headers as best we could tell. It took my mechanic buddy literally all of 5 minutes and 4 zip-ties to move the cables completely out of the way.

Not only am I posting this to serve as caution for people who have shops do their work, but I'm also hoping that somebody can tell me which part #'s I need to order for the replacement cables.

I need the driver and passenger side pre-cat 02's and cables as well as the wire bundle that attaches to the pre-cat 02's clip and goes up into the engine bay.

PISNUOFF
02-20-11, 12:47 PM
Those are part of the entire engine wire harness. You will most likely have to find the connectors and splice them in. I don't like the idea of splicing O2 wires, but that may be your only viable option.

I feel your pain. I had a dealership leave my driveshaft CV bolts loose then refuse to make it right.

perfect
02-20-11, 02:52 PM
When I followed the wires up into the engine they "appeared" to attached to another clip inside of the engine bay. I'm still hoping that they are replaceable. Otherwise...splicing is my only option...

mberisha
02-20-11, 02:58 PM
Damn bro....sux...gald you finally were able to figure out what the issue was.....

BTW...heard you guys got dumped on with snow...I take it the V has been in the stable for quite awhile....

slow98cobra
02-20-11, 03:34 PM
That sucks man... I thought MC would have done a better job than that. I haven't had any experience with MC. I've dealt with SuperTune in the KC area and I wasn't happy with the results on the work on my '03 cobra.

PISNUOFF
02-20-11, 05:08 PM
When I followed the wires up into the engine they "appeared" to attached to another clip inside of the engine bay. I'm still hoping that they are replaceable. Otherwise...splicing is my only option...

I just replaced my motor. Sorry, you'll be splicing.

ewill3rd
02-20-11, 07:52 PM
Those could be the extension harnesses that come with the headers.
You might be okay if you can get a fresh set from whoever you bought the headers from and replace that O2 sensor.
The stock connections are way too high up on the back of the engine to be in that area where they could be damaged.

PISNUOFF
02-20-11, 08:26 PM
Didn't think of that. Good call Bill. You don't even need the extensions, I'm not using them.

perfect
02-20-11, 11:31 PM
Those could be the extension harnesses that come with the headers.
You might be okay if you can get a fresh set from whoever you bought the headers from and replace that O2 sensor.
The stock connections are way too high up on the back of the engine to be in that area where they could be damaged.

Excellent! That's exactly what it looked like under the car. The melted wires on the driver side definitely visibly clipped into something.

I'll get in touch with Kooks or Paschal (who sold me the headers) and see what they can do for me.

ctsv154
02-21-11, 12:12 AM
You dont need the extensions. Like others have said, they plug in just fine without them.

perfect
02-21-11, 12:17 AM
Can anyone recommend me some pre-cat 02's with cables that I can use that will still mount up in the engine bay without the use of extensions?

Since the pre-cat 02 cables are all melted, I figure I should just replace them.

Thanks guys!

CancerJCC
02-21-11, 02:25 PM
I use rockauto.com for my o2 sensor needs. Make sure you stick with ACDelco's though and not the cheaper ones. Some guys have had problems using other brands (still throwing codes)

ctsv154
02-22-11, 10:38 AM
I bought some Bosch sensors from local parts store and they have been great! Not a single issue in the last 2 years.

perfect
02-22-11, 10:52 AM
Thanks 154 and JCC...

Any ideas where I can pick up the 02 extensions? I'm pretty sure that they came with my Kooks headers.

ctsv154
02-22-11, 08:37 PM
You can get them off ebay or buy from kooks but in all honesty, you dont need them. They just get in the way!

CancerJCC
02-22-11, 11:50 PM
Thanks 154 and JCC...

Any ideas where I can pick up the 02 extensions? I'm pretty sure that they came with my Kooks headers.

You can get them off ebay or buy from kooks but in all honesty, you dont need them. They just get in the way!

Lol not sure how many more times you can say it Bobby....

OP YOU DON'T NEED THEM!!! :) Really it is only adding another connection to fail and droop on the headers and melt.

ctsv154
02-23-11, 08:33 AM
lol I was beginning to think it was just me!

ewill3rd
02-23-11, 09:35 AM
I often do not install them just for this reason.
If the OE cables from the sensors are long enough (and they usually are) I just connect them back to the stock connectors at the back of the block.