: Looking for a good gas cap

ripemdry
02-20-11, 01:41 AM
My 2001 Catera died and was told I need a new gas cap. Tried a few aftermarket ones and still no good. Anybody have a spare factory cap laying around that they would sell? I've tried the local junk yards with no luck.

hgqguy
02-20-11, 12:18 PM
The gas cap is not going to make the car die. The aftermarket cap is fine, I have an autozone one on my 2000 for over a year. Your car has some other problem.

ripemdry
02-20-11, 01:24 PM
The gas cap is not going to make the car die. The aftermarket cap is fine, I have an autozone one on my 2000 for over a year. Your car has some other problem.

I was thinking the same thing mechanic was telling me to try that first maybe I should just find another mechanic! Thank you for the response.

hgqguy
02-20-11, 01:28 PM
does it not start at all? or stahlling?? or what?

ripemdry
02-20-11, 02:43 PM
It does not start at all anymore. It just cranks.

hgqguy
02-20-11, 05:50 PM
[I]f its a fuel issue then prolly the fuel pump. your gonna have to take it in.. i cant belive a mechanic said it was a gas cap.. i would NEVER go back to him!! I recomend taking it to a saab/saturn mechanic. call around and find out who is familiar with the 3.0v6 from gm.. saab 95, saturn l300 and catera.

Fleetwood70
02-21-11, 12:03 AM
i cant belive a mechanic said it was a gas cap.. i would NEVER go back to him!!
Gas caps have vents, and can be plugged with dirt or other stuff, as the fuel level drops it creates vacuum in tank and the pump can't suck anymore fuel.
But if the car doesn't start after opening the cap and letting the air in then sure the cap is not a problem.

ripemdry
02-22-11, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the responses I am going to look for a new mechanic. I just wish I had more space and time to work on the car myself.

ThatCoolDude
02-26-11, 04:59 AM
The gas cap is just providing a seal if your tried many then I would most definitely start looking for another mechanic. Fuel system has a lot of components to it I've supplied a pic.