: Unacceptable bad scrunching noise from front end

cpanddp
02-19-11, 01:10 PM
I know this has been discussed quite a bit here but has anyone actually gotten a resolution to this issue from GM? We just bought the car at end of December.

Bad scrunching noise (unacceptable) from front end when going over bumps in road or speed bumps at low speeds when cold out. Sounds like squeaky matress springs. 2010 SRX Turbo build date 01/10.

Took to dealer last week and they said bushings split on front mounts...they replaced both front strut mounts.

It's 28 degrees out today and still have same scrunching noise (urrer...urrer...urrer) as it bounces up and down over bump. No improvement.

Smokin' SRX
02-19-11, 01:24 PM
Welcome ! and sorry for your problem. See this elaborate thread, with the TSB mentioned, many good insights and suggested remedies! Cure seems available now. Best of luck! Stay on dealers tail. This CAN be resolved.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/215799-roaring-rubbing-sound-when-its-cold-3.html

SS

cpanddp
02-19-11, 01:45 PM
Thanks.

Will research this thread

cpanddp
02-19-11, 02:41 PM
Ok. I read through entire thread.

FYI - build date was 01/10

Here is what was written on my work order from dealer Cadillac of Mahwah
Invoice date 2-17-11
06CDZSUSP Suspension Tech: 122 Warranty
C/S A squeak from F/E over bumps
Bushings split on front mounts
Replace both front end strut mounts
Road tested steering wheel off center align toe
Parts
2 2099167 mount 7.395
2 11570951 bolt 7.800

According to this work order they replaced the defective part (2099167) as prior thread indicates fixes problem.

Guess what?...today it was 28 degress in am. Slowly went over speed bump in parking lot....
Daughter was in car with me..."Wow Dad that sounds terrible". Same exact scrunching noise as before (just as bad!)...."urrer...urrer...urrer" as front end bounces up and down over speed bump. Not sure how to describe other than sounds like badly worn out shocks on an old car or squeaky matress springs.

Unacceptable!!

Sad thing is with warmer weather coming this problem will become more difficult to reproduce / verify. Cadillac probably can't wait until warmer weather when the problem suddenly disappears...but most certainly it will be back next winter. And of course this problem will only show up in northern climate states as it is a cold weather issue (30 degrees or below). I am sure Cadillac engineers could put a vehicle in a cold room (20 degrees or colder) for a day then drive over a few speed bumps at low speed and reproduce the sound issue in a minute and figure out cause. I wouldn't doubt that they have already done this and are keenly aware of cause and resolution. The sound is really that horrible and obvious.

Did I say we love the car otherwise. Just a stunning design. And PS we are pleased with our experience / professionalism thus far of the staff at Cadillac of Mahwah so we have confidence they will get the problem resolved for us if a fix is available.

Other problems:
Sun shade binding up and won't open more than 1/4 way - dealer replaced sun shade assembly
Missing trim in front of mirror - replaced
Front heated seats would not turn on after pressing either left or right passanger heated seat button. Both wife and I tried numerous times.
- one time (thus far) intermittent issue - worked fine next day and since

TheCaptain
02-19-11, 02:52 PM
THIS! Is the exact noise mine was making.

Dealer replaced the upper strut mounts, cured part of it.
They replaced the front struts, more sound disappeared, but there was still a bit of squeaking left...

So the dealer has new front end bushings to replace, that are in, but i can't make it to the dealer until near the 3rd of march.
I just know that the strut change cut the sound just about in half.

TRMN8R1
02-19-11, 03:13 PM
I'll just share with all what the Service Dept Mgr told me about this last month. That Cadillac is aware of the problem with the front struts but don't have the solution in the way of redesigned struts yet. Just sayin' what I was told. I also have a rap or knock as if someone is tapping the underside with a rubber mallet but that noise is NOT coming from the front end. I spent one afternoon researching all threads that noted this or something like this on the forum back a couple weeks ago.

macklobell
02-19-11, 05:40 PM
Is this problem present in the 2011 SRX?

Nancy116
02-20-11, 03:04 AM
Cpanddp, if the problem is that easy to reproduce in cold weather, can't you take it to the dealer this week and ask the Service Manager to drive the car with you in it?

It's so frustrating to hear this type of problem -- the kind that you've seen reported by others on the Internet, but there doesn't seem to be acknowledgment of it from Cadillac. I had a similar issue with my '05 CTS (an ignition problem) -- I'd seen many reports of the same exact issue, but there was nothing apparently in Cadillac's database and I had major problems getting it fixed. It was actually never fixed satisfactorily, and it prevented me from getting another CTS when my lease was up. I am really hoping to get an SRX when my current lease is up, though, so I don't like hearing reports of squeaks or rattles -- that drives me crazy!

cpanddp
02-20-11, 10:11 AM
That would be plan. Reproduce condition / sound for service department and get it diagnosed & resolved while cold weather conditions still exist here in northeast.

Just to clarify, this problem does not only occur when going over speed bumps but the condition / sound can be more easily reproduced by going over a speed bump when the car is cold in colder temperatures. The sound is extremely obvious and loud. It does also occur during normal driving when going over certain dips or bumps in road that cause the front end to bounce. Again it is a cold weather only related issue when outside temp is below 30 degrees and more prevalent in colder temps (20 and below) after car has sat in cold for some extended period. The condition / sound will disappear after you drive car for a while but will return after vehicle has sat in cold weather again for an extended period.

Will keep you posted as I try to get this resolved.

Smokin' SRX
02-21-11, 08:36 PM
Anybody shoot the front end bushings/shocks with some WD-40?? I think I would spend a whole can if I had this problem and they couldn't find it......... maybe do the front shocks from under the hood? (just don't hit the rubber drive belts!!)

Hate hearing this from such a hi-tech company as GM. My V8/V4 Fuel Management Yukon engine runs perfectly. As does it's AutoRide automatic suspension system. Isn't there a creative Service Mgr out there somewhere?
My heart goes out to you folks. This will be resolved eventually, but I know I'd be nutz! :rant2:

SS

TheCaptain
02-21-11, 09:47 PM
Yea SS, mine originally went in for a "lubing" of the front stabilizer bar, (of which Sube provided info). That fixed it for almost three days. There's something wrong with the material that they are using it sounds so awful when it gets cold!!

Smokin' SRX
02-21-11, 10:10 PM
Yes I recall that. Thought some wd -40 might penetrate better, longer.....................

Sure sounds like they used too hard a rubber compound. Must be only some production runs? Different part suppliers? Thx for the input again Capt Had to vent.

I still would try if only to get 3 more days of quiet........

SS

Nancy116
02-22-11, 02:58 AM
I really hate rattles, squeaking or noise of any kind. I remember when I test-drove an '08 CTS (the new model, after having an '05), there was a rattle. Finished the test-drive, went into the showroom and told the salesman I really had to re-think the CTS. He acted completely stunned -- "WHATTT? Because of that NOISE??!". Well, yeah...I had already had problems with the '05, and it wasn't a good sign that a brand-new model had to be repaired before it even got out of the lot. And I was not about to get stuck with a car that rattled. Yes, contrary to what the salesman thought, a tight ship is extremely important to me.

stevec5375
02-22-11, 09:20 AM
I really hate rattles, squeaking or noise of any kind. I remember when I test-drove an '08 CTS (the new model, after having an '05), there was a rattle. Finished the test-drive, went into the showroom and told the salesman I really had to re-think the CTS. He acted completely stunned -- "WHATTT? Because of that NOISE??!". Well, yeah...I had already had problems with the '05, and it wasn't a good sign that a brand-new model had to be repaired before it even got out of the lot. And I was not about to get stuck with a car that rattled. Yes, contrary to what the salesman thought, a tight ship is extremely important to me.

Nancy, I could not agree more. I have a rattle coming from the back area of my SRX that is very annoying. I try to ignore it but it's still there. I can only imagine the dealer trying to fix it and making it worse. It is more pronounced when it's cold. Furthermore, I don't understand why any salesman would expect a customer to pay big $$ for a CADILLAC and have to put up with it rattling going down the road.

Smokin' SRX
02-22-11, 11:23 PM
Capt let us know when you get those bushings changed. Hoping...

Macklobell yes, some members here say they have the problem with 2011. I gotta believe at least some are legit posters.

Nancy116, you and Steve are spot on. What did that salesmen expect?? Where do they get some of these guys? I woulda asked him if he would buy a new TV with a crackling speaker noise......

SS

TRMN8R1
02-24-11, 10:25 AM
Mine IS a 2011 and I'm experiencing some of the same noise issues..........

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 10:58 AM
TRMN8R1 You are certainly legit with an avatar like that!! Sorry the 2011's still have similar problem It must be the supplier parts box, they use those production runs, as so many have NO problem. Both Dealers and owners are frustrated. This has to be resolved.........we already lost at least one member (to a Ford Edge), others to CTS's, after a year of frustration. Can't say I blame him. I have total confidence in GM to solve..............hopefully soon............

SS

TRMN8R1
02-24-11, 11:37 AM
Funny, I just got the JD Powers Vehicle Quality survey in the mail yesterday, and started completing it today. I've detailed the issues that I and many others on this forum are experiencing. Don't really know where these things go tho......................:\

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 12:16 PM
Wow. Maybe copy Cadillac Customer Service with the filled out form? Don't unfairly blast the Dealer if they have reasonably tried to fix it. They are not the designers and will be harshly penalized if you report them.

Good luck.

SS

TRMN8R1
02-24-11, 01:29 PM
Agreed, they didn't build and design the car and they are dependent on GM to support the car's issues with the right solutions (if they exist).

dsy@cox.net
02-24-11, 01:38 PM
I had tried on several occassions to get my 2010 SRX Performance 3.0 diagnosed and repaired since Dec 09, two sets of replacement struts later and several calls and letters to GM/Cadillac, finally gave up and purchased something different. I love Cadillac and my other car (2008 CTS in Thunder Grey) but my SRX was messed up (front struts) since day 1. No other problems but it should ride like a Cadillac in my opinion and it DID NOT! I am not bashing the SRX, it is beautiful, but why pay $46K+ for something that rides so rough with all kinds of strut noises. Enough was Enough for me. Good Luck!

SWATBOY
02-24-11, 02:04 PM
I had the same problems. On my 2010 SRX, all my motor mounts and struts (front and rear) were defective and have been replaced. Problem was solved.

Smokin' SRX
02-24-11, 11:19 PM
Good news. Why can't that be done for the others with noisy front ends???? DSY was totally frustrated with the noise. (ride is a different matter and very subjective so I won't comment ) Others take heart and keep up the good effort, GM! Fix 'em all!

SS

PS...................Mine is still perfect at 5K miles. Go figure.............

jpcork40
02-27-11, 10:41 AM
I had the same issue. Dealer replaced the strut mounts and noise has disappeared. It did take 2 trips to the dealer for them to "hear" the noise. It took about 6 weeks for the parts to come in and a few hours to replace them.

dselmeyer
02-28-11, 09:35 AM
So far our 2010 SRX has been in the dealer twice for the suspension noise, strange noise from the power steering when turning right/left and now twice for the gas tank noise. The gas tank sounds like a water tank is being carried in the rear of the vehicle it's so bad!

According to the 1st dealer, Gm is redesigning the gas tank but it's not due out till late 2011. I have also opened a case with the BBB along with the attorney general. GM customer care has called asking what needs to be done to be a satisfactory fix, I said fix the problems or buy the car back. Waiting till end of 2011 for a new gas tank is totally unacceptable to me!

stevec5375
02-28-11, 12:29 PM
The amount of time taken to address issues with the 2010 model is excessive. The car started selling on dealer lots in 2009 and here we are in 2011 and these problems still exist! Even the new models are coming out with problems that were on the original model. I don't understand why these things have been allowed to fester for so long.

TheCaptain
03-01-11, 01:55 PM
The amount of time taken to address issues with the 2010 model is excessive. The car started selling on dealer lots in 2009 and here we are in 2011 and these problems still exist! Even the new models are coming out with problems that were on the original model. I don't understand why these things have been allowed to fester for so long.

Very true. :yup:

Dean5101
03-04-11, 03:26 PM
Is this problem present in the 2011 SRX?

I have a 2011 SRX Performance AWD and the sound is happening in mine. I'm contacting my salesman again.

TO2FST
03-04-11, 04:03 PM
Mine's going in for the 2nd time for this issue on Monday

stevec5375
03-04-11, 05:58 PM
Mine's going in for the 2nd time for this issue on Monday

Hi! Would you mind updating your profile with you car info? When you say that yours is going in for the 2nd time, we don't know what you have. Is it 2010 or 2011? If it's the 2011 model, it shows us that yet another SRX beyond the first year has not had old issues addressed. Thanks!

TO2FST
03-05-11, 09:53 AM
Its a 2010 2.8T

ndcts1
03-06-11, 08:54 PM
Has anyone had issues with a noisy center console? Mine makes an annoying squeaking sound. Something to do with the plastice latch I want to think.

pscharfg
05-10-11, 12:48 PM
Captain, were you able to get your problem resolved? My 2010 SRX has exactly the same symptoms accept mine also exhibits this in the rear. I wonder if it is the motor mounts and struts as was the case for SWATBOY.

TheCaptain
05-11-11, 02:57 PM
Mostly, yes. It still has an audible squeak when the temp goes below -10*C. So next winter it'll be getting looked at again.

PJ1520
05-13-11, 10:48 AM
Mostly, yes. It still has an audible squeak when the temp goes below -10*C. So next winter it'll be getting looked at again.

Captain.......I have to get out my Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion chart. :D Must be really aggravating for you in reverse on this forum, though.

PJ

TheCaptain
05-13-11, 11:21 AM
Eh, just a bit. Most of the people older then me around here still haven't fully converted to metric, so i have to work around it pretty much daily. :D

pscharfg
05-19-11, 07:57 AM

Do you think the cold caused the problem?

cheryl89
01-23-14, 03:47 PM
Was there a fix to this problem.. having same problem with my 2010 Srx .put on new struts and still having exact same issue.. makes squeezing noise like old mattress springs when going over a bump and only when its cold...

----------

Was there a fix to this problem.. having same problem with my 2010 Srx .put on new struts and still having exact same issue.. makes squeezing noise like old mattress springs when going over a bump and only when its cold...

TRARON
01-23-14, 05:01 PM
Had the same problem last year dealer replaced Stabilizer Shaft Insulator Part # 22741853. Seems to be ok for the past year.

Also replaced Strut Mounts this month for squeaking when turning wheels Part # 22918669. Seems ok for now.