: Motor Trend First Test - Infiniti M35H - A Hybrid you're not ashamed to drive.

CIWS
02-19-11, 10:06 AM
"With a total of 360 net horsepower between gasoline and electric propulsion systems, the M35h still achieves a combined fuel economy rating of 29 mpg (broken down as 32 city/27 highway)."

0-60 in 5.1 secs. 13.6-second quarter-mile run at a trap speed of 104.5 mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1102_2012_infiniti_m35h_test/index.html#ooid=U3eW4xMjojzWvBgqN70I2CHjsTjKp_Yp

V-Eight
02-19-11, 12:53 PM
Wow! That's pretty incredible.

The Raven
02-19-11, 02:27 PM
I'm very disappointed with this car. The M has always been one of my favorite premium sedans. After my mother's experiences with Infiniti, I would NEVER own one...but I have always really liked the M.

My problem? I HATE this one. It looks terrible compared to it's predecessors. It looks like the new Maxima, which I also hate. It has gone from a very handsome yet sporty looking car, to a very vanilla, corporate, almost Camry type look. I guess i'll just have to admire the older models now.

CIWS
02-19-11, 06:00 PM
My problem? I HATE this one. It looks terrible compared to it's predecessors. It looks like the new Maxima, which I also hate. It has gone from a very handsome yet sporty looking car, to a very vanilla, corporate, almost Camry type look. I guess i'll just have to admire the older models now.

The reason you think that (it looks like the Maxima) is because of the concept car that Infiniti built called Essence. Unlike a lot of car companies who build cool concept vehicles and then you never see anything even close to that again, Nissan chose to actually incorporate it into the follow on designs. The FX and Maxima were the first redesigns to come to market with it, but then new M has even more of the Essence design ques in it. As well as the redesigned 2011 Infiniti QX56.

This is Essence.

http://novarider.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/infiniti-essence-01.jpg

The new M

http://infinitiinthenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2011-infiniti-m.jpg

The FX

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200806/2009-infiniti-fx50-a_800x0w.jpg

The QX56

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachments/comparisons-reviews/29143d1274675187-2011-qx56-2011_infiniti_qx56_10_cd_gallery.jpg

I have to say when I first saw the new 2009 FX I didn't really care for the curvy look. Then when I saw the new Maxima I simply thought "it looks like the Infiniti" But the new M has even more of the Essence design and I did like it (obviously) But looks, design, etc is all a matter of individual taste and we all have our likes and dislikes. http://www.ciws.net/smiles/smile.gif

In any case what I'm more impressed with in the new 2012 hybrid is it's performance and the mileage it still maintains.

The Raven
02-19-11, 06:31 PM
All I can say is:

BEAUTIFUL:
http://apexautosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2007-infiniti-m451.jpg

BLAH:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J3_liDBfbvs/TGYFZcx3UVI/AAAAAAAAxvM/D8V0vClSGpU/s1600/2011-Infiniti-M35h-Exotic-Cars.jpg

That concept looks awesome, however I see only VERY MINOR similarities in the new M. Inifiniti needs a coupe/roadster that looks JUST LIKE that. Something to compete with the XLR and SL550.

Stingroo
02-19-11, 06:52 PM
The XLR is out of production.

And the new M looks very much like a modernized version of its predecessor. I can see how they're related very easily. Interesting numbers from a hybrid, but eh. I'm stubborn and would like a V8. M56 please.

V-Eight
02-19-11, 07:48 PM
The new QX56 still looks like an ugly whale though.

CIWS
02-19-11, 09:17 PM
And the new M looks very much like a modernized version of its predecessor. I can see how they're related very easily. Interesting numbers from a hybrid, but eh. I'm stubborn and would like a V8. M56 please.

Yeah although the upcoming hybrid has some decent stats, I don't think I'm ready to give up the V8 or it's sound, not yet anyway. Once gas hits 5.00 a gallon I may change my tune as most of my driving is in the city. But my M56 is still getting me between 17.5-18.5 in the city so far (but 30-32 would rock).

The new QX56 still looks like an ugly whale though.

Its looks hasn't grown on my yet, but inside, it's power, and tech is really nice.

CIWS
02-19-11, 09:22 PM
That concept looks awesome, however I see only VERY MINOR similarities in the new M. Inifiniti needs a coupe/roadster that looks JUST LIKE that. Something to compete with the XLR and SL550.

If they built the Essence its price tag would rival an SL550 or even beat it. Although it's a hot looking coupe, I don't think they have the base to pay those kind of prices yet. Although there is some rumor of an M Coupe to go in an IPL (Infiniti Performance Line), but that's still a lot of rumor.

Aron9000
02-19-11, 11:26 PM
^ I think Infiniti could charge 80-100k for a premium coupe. Nissan has a waiting list on the similarly priced GT-R.

Playdrv4me
02-20-11, 01:19 AM
The QX56 may be hideous, but so is its primary competition, the LX570. However, unlike the previous QX, the new one is simply a rebadged international market Nissan Patrol, an extremely capable SUV and one of the few that can give a Land Cruiser a run for it's money. Since for whatever reason we don't get the Nissan Patrol and never have, this is as close as we can get.

The Raven
02-20-11, 10:26 AM
^ I think Infiniti could charge 80-100k for a premium coupe. Nissan has a waiting list on the similarly priced GT-R.

And there you have it...put a body like that concept on the GT-R platform. Make it a convertible (or at least have a convertible option). Instant winner, minimal development cost.

CIWS
02-20-11, 10:32 AM
BTW, that shape of the new M gives it a lower coefficient of drag than a Corvette Z06. It might be hideous to some but it's got a purpose other than aesthetics.

96Fleetwood
02-20-11, 11:33 AM
Infiniti finally caught on with the M35h; 4 years after the Lexus GS450h came out (23 mpg combined and 0-60 in 5.4 secs).

My wife and I test drove a M56x last year and it was... amazing (420 hp, 0-60 in 4.8 secs). It will most likely replace our M35x in the next couple of years. Call it a poor man's BMW or glorified Maxima if you want, but IMO it is the best combo of technology and performance for the money when you buy them used (Thank you depreciation).

Playdrv4me
02-20-11, 04:54 PM
Infiniti finally caught on with the M35h; 4 years after the Lexus GS450h came out (23 mpg combined and 0-60 in 5.4 secs).

My wife and I test drove a M56x last year and it was... amazing (420 hp, 0-60 in 4.8 secs). It will most likely replace our M35x in the next couple of years. Call it a poor man's BMW or glorified Maxima if you want, but IMO it is the best combo of technology and performance for the money when you buy them used (Thank you depreciation).

Bingo (and I actually like the way your generation of M looks btw), DEPRECIATION is the reason I am somewhat excited about the prospects of a used QX56. The Land Cruiser/LX holds it value so absurdly well that they are NEVER within reach used. The QX however depreciates like a rock, and will give all the luxury of the Toyota and more at a fraction of the Land Cruiser's price within 3 to 4 years. They will be a *bargain*. So far as looks are concerned, I prefer ugly to bland.

thebigjimsho
02-20-11, 09:36 PM
I'm very disappointed with this car. The M has always been one of my favorite premium sedans. After my mother's experiences with Infiniti, I would NEVER own one...but I have always really liked the M.

That is bizarre. It is just the opposite. The last gen M was very boring and vanilla. The latest is far from it. Now, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the new M(looks much better from below the beltline) but it's certainly NOT vanilla...

Jesda
02-20-11, 10:29 PM
The current M isn't ugly, but it isn't a benchmark for style either. It has the stuff that counts though: A strong engine, a great chassis, and a beautiful interior.

Its not ugly at all, but it doesn't look purposeful. The design lacks strength and intent.

The Raven
02-21-11, 12:25 PM
It's not ugly. It's not anything. It blends in to the crowd, looks just like any regular toyota or nissan or honda econo-sedan out there. That's the problem. Premium cars need premium styling. They need to be eye-catching and distinctive. This is a big part of why Cadillac is able to compete with BMW and MB presently. They don't have the status level or reputation of the german automakers, but they have equivalent or even better styling. There are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they find the current CTS more eye-catching than the 5-series or E-class. NO ONE is going to be saying that about the Infiniti M. Most of them won't be able to tell it apart from a Camry.

CIWS
02-21-11, 02:39 PM
There are plenty of people out there who will tell you that they find the current CTS more eye-catching than the 5-series or E-class. NO ONE is going to be saying that about the Infiniti M. Most of them won't be able to tell it apart from a Camry.

I would disagree with you on this statement. Simply because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and different folks have different opinions about the styles they like and/or the ability to tell the difference between different models from certain auto makers. I can't tell you how many times I had people call my STS-V a CTS. I even had a guy at a stop light begin arguing with me that it was a CTS-V because he knew somebody who had one. I literly just said "Ok whatever dude" and rolled up my window. Thank goodness the light changed and I could move on.

The point is most folks don't know the difference between models by their looks if the automaker is using some of the same design cues in their line of cars. Be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, or Infiniti. Now if they have models that are noticeably different they do. Unless of course you're dealing with owners who examine all the little details and differences and know what they are looking for, but that certainly isn't the majority of people out there driving cars.

Again though, this wasn't intended to be a thread to get into the M's looks. It was about the performance the new hybrid was offering and still maintaining a respectable mileage rating.

The Raven
02-21-11, 04:04 PM
The point is most folks don't know the difference between models by their looks if the automaker is using some of the same design cues in their line of cars. Be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, or Infiniti. Now if they have models that are noticeably different they do. Unless of course you're dealing with owners who examine all the little details and differences and know what they are looking for, but that certainly isn't the majority of people out there driving cars.

Ok maybe I was getting too specific. I thought that in this company, that would be the better way to make my point. Most people I know, even those who couldn't care less about cars, can identify a premium car brand. They can see a 3 or 5 series roll by and tell me "oh that's a BMW", and same for Cadillac and MB. I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.

I'm fine with the technology and what they've achieved mechanically here, but it's an incomplete achievement since while they've leaped forward in technology, they've fallen back in styling.

That and Hybrid's, even powerful ones, don't interest me in the least. From an engineer's perspective, we are basically looking at a slight evolution of the same thing that rail locomotives have been running on for decades.

orconn
02-21-11, 04:33 PM
Ok maybe I was getting too specific. I thought that in this company, that would be the better way to make my point. Most people I know, even those who couldn't care less about cars, can identify a premium car brand. They can see a 3 or 5 series roll by and tell me "oh that's a BMW", and same for Cadillac and MB. I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.

I'm fine with the technology and what they've achieved mechanically here, but it's an incomplete achievement since while they've leaped forward in technology, they've fallen back in styling.

That and Hybrid's, even powerful ones, don't interest me in the least. From an engineer's perspective, we are basically looking at a slight evolution of the same thing that rail locomotives have been running on for decades.

Hadn't thought of it that way, but quite true!

CIWS
02-21-11, 05:08 PM

Well you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but others disagree and like the styling in the new M. Especially a lot of the owners of the previous model M.

I bet you real money that NONE of those same non-car people could tell me that the new M is an Infiniti. I bet you that I will get alot of "oh that's a Toyota, or maybe a Honda?" Type responses.

I'll take that bet. :yup: Just make sure they're not in Japan, since there is no Infiniti there. http://www.ciws.net/smiles/wink.gif

No technology with automobiles started out at the peak of design. The first ones had about 3HP. It takes time to improve and I'm glad to see it moving forward as one of many solutions to help reduce our increasing need for oil. Although I would like to see many alternatives out there advance forward as well and consider the hybrid as temporary alternative.

Jesda
02-21-11, 07:51 PM
http://apexautosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2007-infiniti-m451.jpg

While I'm not a fan of any M's styling except 03-04, I prefer the current body to this Altima-like one that preceded it. This one looked too Nissan corporate. The current one at least tries to carve out its own identity.

The 05 M was supposed to take after the Fuga concept but lost all the details that made it look interesting like the two strips of silver trim that flowed over the roof.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/tokyo/0310_2004_nissan_fuga_photo_gallery/photo_02.html

CIWS
03-09-11, 05:51 PM
Looks like InsideLine got one and tested its performance.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/03/il-track-tested-2012-infiniti-m35h-hybrid.html

V8 power with four-cylinder efficiency. It's the alchemy of the driving world. Nobody likes paying $4/gallon for gas, but for some of us, the cost of losing our performance cars is greater than the price of fuel.
And that's where the 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid comes in. On one hand, it's a refined sedan with a world-class interior; on the other hand it's a competent sport sedan with 369 combined horsepower; and on the third hand, it returns a Versa-like 27 mpg city and 32 mpg highway. That's a lot of hands to keep track of.
On paper, it should be the best of all worlds. For $53,000, it better be. And while fuel economy will vary based on driving habits, we were more concerned with the promise of V8 performance. So how does the 2012 Infiniti M35h do when fuel economy is ignored in favor of flat-footed fun?

Test Results:
0-30 (sec): 2.2 (2.3 with TC on)
0-45 (sec): 3.6 (3.7 with TC on)
0-60 (sec): 5.2 (5.4 with TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9 (5.0 with TC on)
0-75 (sec): 7.6 (7.8 with TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 13.5 @ 102.9 (13.6 @ 102.8 with TC on)

Braking
30-0 (ft): 30
60-0 (ft): 119

Handling
Slalom (mph): 63.7 (61.6 with TC on)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.84 (0.78 with TC on)
Sound
Db @ Idle: 42.5
Db @ Full Throttle: 76.4
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.4

Acceleration: Holy crap! This car is fast. (All accel runs in Sport.) I could feel the torque immediately from launch and it maintains it throughout the run. Upshifts are quick and smooth. Turning off traction control only works up to a point and it intervenes with too much wheelspin. For the best run, I "woke up" the engine prior to releasing the brake.

Braking: Very effective brakes, especially from 30-0. Distances grew shorter for the later stops, but then the brakes began pulling to the right. Overall, very good performance aside from the pulling/drifting.

Handling: Skid pad: With ESC off, this car has good balance between understeer and oversteer where the rear steps out slightly just before the front understeers. Good setup with ESC on: a combo of throttle and brakes limits speed and disallows the rear from slipping at all. Either way, the steering is springy and only slightly informative. Slalom: ESC off, just as on the skid pad, the rear slides just enough for confident rotation but now the steering remains effective to catch it. Very good balance and precision in transition. With ESC on, corrections occurred before the rear could rotate, but returned control to driver readily.

Playdrv4me
03-09-11, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't buy a new one, but it sure will make a great used car buy.