: Do people still overpay for P71's?

drewsdeville
02-18-11, 05:51 PM
I haven't done this in a few years now, but I ran into an interesting opportunity and I'm considering purchasing a vehicle to fix up and resell.

My cousin is selling her black 1999 Ford Crown Vic PI (pushbar, spotlight, even authentic holes in the dashboard) for "significantly less" than the $750 she's thinking about asking for it. 175k miles.

Last time I saw it, which was last year, it was looking quite...aged. Bubbling paint on all of the wheelwells, cracked windshield, wipers that don't park, bent trunk lid, and Ford's signature yellowed headlights. She got it stuck on the shoulder of the street at the last family function and noticed that she had a one-tire-fire going. The car IS equipped with the Trac Lock rear end, but the clutches must be shot.

There are probably other minor repairs that she isn't aware of, perhaps fluid leaks and such.

I'm thinking about picking it up, fixing the wipers, hitting the rust with a DA and touching it up with a spray can, perhaps picking up a junkyard trunk lid, leaving the windshield and rear end alone, clean it up best as I can, then try to sell it for profit.

I know for a while there, some nut-cases were willing to pay outrageous prices for Vics in less than stellar condition. Is this really still the case? My local craigslist shows a number of similar mileage/condition (after repairs) that seem priced too high ($1800+), but I don't know if they are actually selling at those prices or not.

Worth the risk?

ben.gators
02-18-11, 06:01 PM
Because of your knowledge of Ford Panther platform, I am sure you can repair it. But is it worth it? At the end you will have an old high millage rusty Ford with couple of holes here and there... Yes, you are not going to spend a lot of money for the car and even for repairs and parts since you will do it yourself and probably you can find the parts from junk yards... But what about the time and energy? The listed price in CL is not the amount of money buyers pay for the car, specially if the car is one of those high millage rusty cars... I personally never ever pay more than 1000$ for such a car, even if it is good running condition. So I am very skeptical about the amount of money you may earn...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-18-11, 06:17 PM
do it, fix it up to get it in decent running condition.

then take it to the hood with a big 4 sale sign on it. its tax time, someone is looking for their next DONK. guarantee youll profit

Playdrv4me
02-18-11, 06:22 PM
Well, I'll say this much... It's got to at least be worth more than an Impala in similar condition. He he he...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lamxuvnoeN1qa1zwr.jpg

drewsdeville
02-18-11, 06:57 PM
do it, fix it up to get it in decent running condition.

then take it to the hood with a big 4 sale sign on it. its tax time, someone is looking for their next DONK. guarantee youll profit

Living near Milwaukee, this is actually a really good point that I forgot to consider. If there's any large market left for these cars, it's those guys. They still snatch them up, even rough examples, slap some "bling" on it and proudly cruise.

It'll probably be a few weeks yet until she finds a suitable replacement (supposedly, she's looking for a retired Charger), so I have time to scope things out in the meantime. There's a bit of panther talk on these boards sometimes, just wondering if someone knows if these things still trade hands easily. While I visit crownvic.net regularly, I feel that I'd find less subjective responses elsewhere. Besides, the enthusiasts are generally a poor gauge...they are the ones willing to pay above-average money.

If I get it, pics will come.

Stingroo
02-18-11, 07:41 PM
They sell like hotcakes here in FL. When I was looking I couldn't find one to save my damn soul. It was insane.

Also, Ian: Fail. Just... fail.

Playdrv4me
02-18-11, 07:55 PM
I came across them routinely in Tampa. Not something *I* would drive, but if I had wanted one, there was no shortage. Here in TX there's a dealer on I-35 that has regular used cars on one side of his lot, and five rows of retired P71s on the other side. I'm sure he sells every last one because most of what you can get at the price-point of a well used retired P71 is FWD garbage.

ben.gators
02-18-11, 08:05 PM
They sell like hotcakes here in FL. When I was looking I couldn't find one to save my damn soul. It was insane.

Also, Ian: Fail. Just... fail.

oh yeah, for some reason in Florida there are some people that love to drive cop's cars...I have no idea why! :hmm: Chevy Impala and Ford Crown Interceptor have a very good market in Florida!!!!

Stingroo
02-18-11, 08:07 PM
The Impalas have a huge enthusiast market. So do the Caprices. There's a lot of aftermarket support for them, whether you want show or go. Thank the Camaro and Corvette for that.

As for the P71, thank the Mustang. There's performance parts all over for either car, but they (at one time) were cheap and plentiful too, so the donk guys got a hold of them, and there you have it. New used markets emerge.

ben.gators
02-18-11, 08:15 PM
^
Well, I am not even speaking about 94-96 Impalas, I can understand why people love those cars and I myself really love them too... The strange point was about for example eight generation Impalas (1998-2005). I can remember those impalas were even priced higher than Buick Regal!!!

Stingroo
02-18-11, 08:20 PM
I actually sort of like the exterior styling of those cars, especially in SS trim. I wouldn't actively hunt for one, but still.

Aron9000
02-19-11, 12:50 AM
Drew, keep in mind that you need to unload this car within the next month or so before gas gets back up to $4.00 a gallon. A V8 whale of a car is a hard sell when gas prices are jacked up. Although this Crown Vic should be an easier sell thanks to all the donk guys rather than some used up SUV or van.

Playdrv4me
02-19-11, 06:25 AM
Drew, keep in mind that you need to unload this car within the next month or so before gas gets back up to $4.00 a gallon. A V8 whale of a car is a hard sell when gas prices are jacked up. Although this Crown Vic should be an easier sell thanks to all the donk guys rather than some used up SUV or van.

A decent point, but I think the market of buyers who would pick this car up would probably have fuel efficiency at the bottom of their list. Not to mention that for a big V8 car the fuel economy is far from terrible anyway.

DouglasJRizzo
02-19-11, 07:46 AM
The P71 is a restricted item, just as the taxi version is. It's also quite long lived, so 175k on it isn't too bad. I've seen them with 400k+. Worth the risk? I'd say yes. I picked up a gorgeous 2009 P71 with but 60k on the clock for $10k. Worth every nickle.

Sevillian273
02-19-11, 09:55 AM
All the people I see driving those things look like they belong in the BACK seat.

orconn
02-19-11, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Sevillian, that's where they learned what "fine" cars they were!

Playdrv4me
02-19-11, 02:43 PM
The P71 is a restricted item, just as the taxi version is. It's also quite long lived, so 175k on it isn't too bad.

I'm looking to dump the Expedition since our truck was recovered, and a TC is HIGH on my list for this very reason. The damn things are practically indestructible.

drewsdeville
02-19-11, 10:51 PM
There's no way this one will make it to the aforementioned 400k. She's quite crispy underneath already. It's really not worth much as it is, and a few corrosion related issues is all it will take to turn the car into a money pit.

Some winter weather with road salt will send even the best of the automotive industry straight to the junkyard whether it runs well or not. Unfortunately, while the panther platform is solid in many ways, corrosion resistance over time is definitely one of it's weaker points. I witness it quite frequently. In fact, I think I started a thread on here last fall containing pictures of a '95 Grand Marquis with a rusted and collapsed frame at 100k miles. Ran great, even the paint was real clean, but it ended up going to the crusher.

ben.gators
02-19-11, 11:47 PM
All the people I see driving those things look like they belong in the BACK seat.
:histeric:
You directly said it...:lildevil: This is so true in Florida! And the same people drive Dodge Charger in Florida too! When I was in Florida by observing Chargers and their drivers I used to think that Charger is the fleet car for gangs! :D But it is totally different in Arizona! Here Charger is mostly driven by very classy gentlemen and ladies...

Jesda
02-20-11, 03:22 AM
Just get an electric scooter with flame stickers.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-21-11, 10:38 AM
just so you know, people with similar automotive tastes dont always lead similar lifestyles or make similar decisions. Case in point, not everyone who drives a cadillac is an old person or mafioso

Stingroo
02-21-11, 12:01 PM
Yeah. That's a juuuust little ridiculous to assume guys.

Jesda
02-21-11, 07:55 PM
Cadillacs are popular among the elderly and with guidos and thugs in NJ/NY/FL. Likewise, Hondas are popular with annoying kids with flat-billed baseball caps.

So its not THAT far from the truth.

Sevillian273
02-21-11, 08:08 PM
Thank you sir. The reason I say that is simply because every single person that I've ever seen driving a Crown Vic P.I. other than the cops themselves has been a 'questionable' looking/acting individual and 75% of them, when I happen to see them, are sporting big rims, a sideways hat, bumping a trunk full of subs, and tailgating the hell out of everyone. Seriously. Every single one Ive seen has been this way. Of course it doesnt mean that everyone who buys one of those is like that. Its just my observation. I've probably not even noticed the normal folks driving them because they dont stand out.

I would enjoy a low-mile, un-abused P-71 for a FAIR price...

orconn
02-21-11, 08:11 PM
"Flat billed baseball caps" are those the ones worn with the bill facing backward? Fill me in, I want to be hip to these fashion trends?

Jesda
02-21-11, 08:59 PM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/scumbag-steve-81.jpg?w=499&h=503
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/scumbag-steve-51.jpg?w=499&h=503
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgea19jCyF1qc7h8lo2_500.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
02-22-11, 02:46 AM
Thank you sir. The reason I say that is simply because every single person that I've ever seen driving a Crown Vic P.I. other than the cops themselves has been a 'questionable' looking/acting individual and 75% of them, when I happen to see them, are sporting big rims, a sideways hat, bumping a trunk full of subs, and tailgating the hell out of everyone. Seriously. Every single one Ive seen has been this way. Of course it doesnt mean that everyone who buys one of those is like that. Its just my observation. I've probably not even noticed the normal folks driving them because they dont stand out.

I would enjoy a low-mile, un-abused P-71 for a FAIR price...

Explain how a person in their car can look or act questionable. Im assuming you havent met talked or otherwise interacted with them if they are passersby in a car...

Unless of course you mean black...

Sent from my Dell Streak

Sevillian273
02-22-11, 04:58 AM
White. Every time.

Music blasting. Trunk buzzing.

Weaving in and out of lanes. Tailgating

Riding with his head way down in the corner of the seat which is always leaned back to the nearly flat position.

One hand high up on the wheel, the other out the window, bouncing to the music.

Much more than a 'passerby'. You find this behavior on the road to be normal and safe? Would it be unreasonable to judge this person by these actions alone, and seaparate yourself from him by a few car-lengths? I dont think so.

Really has nothing to do with the car itself. Its the actions of the driver. Just happens that that 100% of drivers of auctioned off police cruisers, that I've seen, act this way.

DouglasJRizzo
02-24-11, 08:13 AM
Around these parts most of the auctioned off P71's go to livery/cab companies. I've seen them with 3-400k on the clock and still in service. Ditto for the old Caprice, although by now, most of those have passed on.

Stingroo
02-24-11, 08:26 AM
In FL some of the auctions are a joke - they aren't even auctions anymore. It's kind of upsetting.

orconn
02-24-11, 11:16 AM
In FL some of the auctions are a joke - they aren't even auctions anymore. It's kind of upsetting.

How so?

Stingroo
02-25-11, 12:30 AM
Many of them are just sales. Fixed prices. Makes it much harder to get good deals on the cars.

Sevillian273
02-25-11, 12:32 AM
What do they usually go for and at what mileage are they de-commissioned?