: Thumping sound under acceleration

epershica
02-18-11, 02:41 PM
I've got a prominent thumping sound under mid to hard acceleration. Has anyone else had this or know what this could be? differential bushing, motor mount, strut????? etc...etc...

Stepside
02-18-11, 08:04 PM
:yup: I get that same thump sound . . . up the side of my head . . under hard acceleration . . .
~ :rollingpin: my lovely bride does not like hard acceleration.

Seriously though, is the car wheel hopping or maybe something going on with T/C.

trhs75
02-18-11, 08:57 PM
Good point by stepside. Does it happen with the traction control off? I think they used to call it "axle tramp" when I was a kid. The suspension would wind up a little bit, then spring back, making the tire jump on the pavement if I recall correctly. Most of our members are more knowledgeable than I am, but this is a thought....

V-Guy
02-19-11, 09:40 AM
Is it just noise, or does the back of the car go bump, bump, bump? If the latter, it sounds like wheel hop.

CancerJCC
02-19-11, 12:13 PM
Is it just noise, or does the back of the car go bump, bump, bump? If the latter, it sounds like wheel hop.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5srqkATtOE

OP your description is way too vague for us internet mechanics to fix for you! haha Really though it could be wheelhop, motor mounts broke causing the dash and whole car to "slam" on each shift (my guess), or any number or combination of bushings...

epershica
02-22-11, 06:24 PM
It's not wheelhop...I know what that feels like. I probably should've said during moderate acceleration. It just started doing this about 2 months ago. At first I thought maybe it's because it's so cold outside...but now it's been 70-75 degrees and it's still doing it. Mostly in 1st thru 3rd gear when you can feel the car torque a little.

rand49er
02-22-11, 06:55 PM
Okay, no WH.

Next ques: Do you feel it in the shifter or steering wheel or your butt?

SoSueMe
02-22-11, 07:07 PM
a while back i was getting a thumping noise coming from underneath the car and it turned out to be the rear diff bushing..

CadzillaTN
02-22-11, 10:39 PM
That's my vote too. A thump on the bottom of the car under moderate load sounds like diff bushing. If only under hard acceleration I would suggest mounts but that's more of a slam or bang, and definitely comes from the engine bay.

My current bushing is only 2 months old and I've been able to hear it slowly get worse. They really do crap out quickly..

epershica
02-23-11, 10:10 AM
That sounds like my problem...If I get time I'll take a look today. Thanks for all the help everyone...I'll be sure and let you know if that's the problem.