: Long time listener first time caller...with a clutch question.

AmigoBB
02-18-11, 02:37 PM
Save for a few choice thread replies, this is my first time posting a question.

Let me begin by saying how much of a help all of the information in this forum has been since purchasing my 07 in Feb of 09 with 9,000 miles on it (currently 49,000).

My dealer (Legends Cadillac-Scottsdale AZ) states that the clutch in my V has a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. I asked him to take a peek when I dropped my car off this morning to have the center channel speaker in the dash replaced. I have noticed some light slippage when I get high into the RPMs. I do acknowledge that this just may be misplaced paranoia about the slippage but when my service advisor told me about the clutch warranty I was speechless. What of my 100,000 mile warranty now?

I'm interested to hear what you all have to say.

Sinsurly,

AmigoBB

mstrjon32
02-18-11, 02:39 PM
I think most manufacturers consider the clutch disk to be a wear item. I can't blame them, it's easy for an unskilled or uninformed driver to destroy a clutch pretty quickly.

AmigoBB
02-18-11, 02:44 PM
I think most manufacturers consider the clutch disk to be a wear item. I can't blame them, it's easy for an unskilled or uninformed driver to destroy a clutch pretty quickly.

Like I said in my post, it is probably nothing, but I do love being called an unskilled and uninformed driver. I thanked everyone for being so helpful, I withdraw my thanks from this guy.

repenttokyo
02-18-11, 02:47 PM
Like I said in my post, it is probably nothing, but I do love being called an unskilled and uninformed driver. I thanked everyone for being so helpful, I withdraw my thanks from this guy.

no one was calling you unskilled.

if you are going to be a jerk to people on this board, maybe you should "hang up the phone" and go back to just listening. or try posting here: http://www.psychforums.com/asperger-syndrome/

aggie1979
02-18-11, 02:52 PM
no one was calling you unskilled.

if you are going to be a jerk to people on this board, maybe you should "hang up the phone" and go back to just listening. or try posting here: http://www.psychforums.com/asperger-syndrome/

you beat me to the post, repenttokyo...lol.

AmigoBB, he wasn't calling you an unskilled or uniformed driver.

mstrjon32
02-18-11, 03:00 PM
Yikes...yeah I didn't mean you destroyed it, you seemed to be asking why the clutch warranty was only 12K miles.

You're not an unskilled driver, but you may be a touch thin-skinned! :duck:

rand49er
02-18-11, 03:15 PM
Whoa, did this thread go downhill fast.

Uh ... getting back to the topic at hand, +1 for the clutch being a wear item.

If you want to check your clutch (it shouldn't be bad at 49k miles, maybe 149k but not yet), get on the expressway in sixth gear at about 70 mph. Push in the clutch, give the motor a little gas (3k-4k RPM), and let the clutch out normally. If the clutch grabs (and RPM drops), your clutch is still okay. If the motor RPM only gradually comes down (i.e. slips), then your paranoia is well founded.

Okay, I'm getting out of here :hide:.

PISNUOFF
02-18-11, 04:29 PM
I didn't even think there was a 12,000 mile warranty on the clutch.

Stepside
02-18-11, 08:12 PM
Go to another Dealer for an opinion. Does not sound right to me. Clutch is part of the 100k powertrain warranty on '07.

EdmundGTP
02-18-11, 09:21 PM
Go to another Dealer for an opinion. Does not sound right to me. Clutch is part of the 100k powertrain warranty on '07.

Everything I've ever read about the powertrain and bumper to bumper warranties states that the warranties do NOT cover "wear items" and the clutch is most certainly considered a wear item.