: 2006 V Won't Start

LunchboxGTI
02-17-11, 05:03 AM
Hello everyone,
After a great drive in the hills last week, I pulled into a gas station to fill up and the V wouldn't turn over when it came time to leave. When I turn the key, the lights come on and the radio plays indicating that the battery is working, but nothing happens in terms of starting the engine. A tow truck arrived and we were able to push start it. When I got home, the same thing happened.

My friend and I figured it was the starter and replaced it. While the car was up on Jack stands with the new starter, it fired right up. As soon as we let the car down, it wouldn't start again.

I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else and if so, what fixed it? Thank you so much, any help is appreciated!

Houdini
02-17-11, 06:40 AM
Check your cables on the battery to see if they are corroded on the inside. They could just be loose too. You might also swap the starter relay for another relay under the hood (there are at least two relays that are the same in the under the hood electrical box so it won't hurt to swap them and try). It could also be clutch switch going bad. What did the wiring harness connector look like that is plugged in to the starter? Usually they get burned up and crack.

Slithering_Joe
02-17-11, 08:32 AM
+1 on what Houdini suggests. I went through this myself not too long ago. The catalytic converter bakes the starter turn-on lead connector and the starter itself. Initially, my connector fell apart and then later the solenoid lead inside the starter broke. In your case since you replaced the starter already and assuming all others things have been looked at, it sounds like the harness could be cooked causing an open circuit.

My cooked connector:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%202005%20CTS-V/IMG_0665.jpg
(Note the infamous leaking motor mounts)

New replacement connector: (ACDelco #PT170)
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%202005%20CTS-V/IMG_0666.jpg

New starter along with heat shielding on the harness connector and starter body:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z130/Slithering_Joe/My%202005%20CTS-V/IMG_0739.jpg
(new motor mounts too)

D3l7a3ch0
02-17-11, 09:15 AM
I think it's a switch

nmaier2201
02-17-11, 10:17 AM
I think the primary suspect is the starter wire connector as well, to help test this though you could run a jumper wire from the battery to the starter wire in the fuse bock... momentarily just to see if it carries current to the starter and it attempts to turnover. if it does not your cable.connector is broken. (I want to say it's the big purple wire in the fuse block... but don't quote me on that... and it could be different between 04/05 and 06/07. If it DOES attempt to turnover you might have another problem.

I did this on my car when it became a brick... like yours. My car had power but wouldn't start either... when I applied power directly to the starter wire in the block my starter jumped to life...... what ended up happening is one of the main wiring harness wire that runs under the radiator got hit by a rock or something and took a bite out of the shielding on the wire... which corroded and broke... so my car's computer thought it was being stolen and shut itself down... disabled itself. SWEET! Had to get a tech2 to re-enable it again.. even after the wiring harness was repaired.

I doubt this is your problem... but hey, if it is....then maybe I saved you some time.

This

Castro
02-17-11, 10:40 AM
There have been a rash of these recently including mine which turned out to be a fried connector to the starter, mine was replaced along with the sloenoid, no need to change the starter itself. The heat sheilding seems like a great idea wish I'd thought of that a couple weeks ago.

LunchboxGTI
02-18-11, 08:16 PM
Thanks a ton everybody! I'm waiting for this bad weather to pass, then I can finally get under the car.

D3l7a3ch0
02-19-11, 01:55 AM
I think it's a switch because your problem qualifies as intermittent and I'm also experiencing a switch issue myself.

My cruise control is acting up and I suspect a clutch switch. My switch list in your case would be: clutch(neutral safety) switch, ignition switch, and any other possible switches even a drive seat sensor switch.

The corroded wires can be investigated with an ohm meter, a starter wire should have continuity with no problems... Very low ohms of resistance. Multimeters that can test for it have the omega sign.

I hope it's something simple. Where are you? Shot in the dark, but if you're in San Antonio/Austin/Dallas I'd be willing to come by and troubleshoot it Monday.

LunchboxGTI
02-27-11, 02:32 PM
Thank You everyone. So far I have replaced the starter and spliced in the connector (PT170) and still have the same issue. Time to check the clutch switch. Would this need replacing or a change in position? Thank you all again for being a great help with this!!

LunchboxGTI
02-27-11, 02:34 PM
I think it's a switch because your problem qualifies as intermittent and I'm also experiencing a switch issue myself.

My cruise control is acting up and I suspect a clutch switch. My switch list in your case would be: clutch(neutral safety) switch, ignition switch, and any other possible switches even a drive seat sensor switch.

The corroded wires can be investigated with an ohm meter, a starter wire should have continuity with no problems... Very low ohms of resistance. Multimeters that can test for it have the omega sign.

I hope it's something simple. Where are you? Shot in the dark, but if you're in San Antonio/Austin/Dallas I'd be willing to come by and troubleshoot it Monday.

Thank You for the offer! I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. We had storms recently that brought snow for the first time in decades. Finally some sunny days to work on the V!

D3l7a3ch0
02-28-11, 11:16 AM
Yah, np. I used to live in Novato