: Android Phone Integration?

Doctechx
02-17-11, 03:19 AM
I have searched, and can't seem to find anything on this specific to 03-07 CTS(V). Has anyone successfully integrated an Android based phone into the stereo? I'm thinking there has to be a way to utilize the XM connection to at least connect via RCA and control media selection through the phone. I would be happy with at least that, but it would be great if someone would make an integration unit that works similar to the Ipod integration units. Ultimately, I would like to have one cord connecting to the micro USB on my phone that will charge the phone, and allow media navigation through the head unit. Perhaps one of the Ipod integration units could be modified, although I recognize that the tech is considerably different. It seems like the competition Android has put on the Iphone in the last couple of years would spur some third party development for car stereo integration devices, but I can't seem to find any designed for Android. Technically, since most Android phones are basically acting as a usb flash / mass storage device, I guess I am really looking for a usb flash integration device that allows for usb connection to a head unit that does not have native usb support. Probably a long shot...

CancerJCC
02-17-11, 04:54 PM
Best you are going to get is doing the AUX in mod. I previously had an iphone and the SPEC VETTE unit. Long story short the "integration" is weak at best...

AG'S-V
02-18-11, 12:43 PM
I bought an iPod plug to 3.5mm converter to try to use my EVO with my SPEC VETTE unit...no workie :(

CancerJCC
02-18-11, 12:56 PM
I bought an iPod plug to 3.5mm converter to try to use my EVO with my SPEC VETTE unit...no workie :(

Check you manual if I remember correctly you need to swap a jumper or two to "enable" the aux input...

Doctechx
02-18-11, 01:04 PM
Check you manual if I remember correctly you need to swap a jumper or two to "enable" the aux input...

I thought the SPEC products already had dual Ipod and AUX connections. Why the need for an Ipod to 3.5mm converter. Were you thinking that would allow display/control of the AUX device via the head unit? To my knowledge, AUX signals don't carry tag information, so that would not work.

CancerJCC
02-19-11, 12:24 PM
I thought the SPEC products already had dual Ipod and AUX connections. Why the need for an Ipod to 3.5mm converter. Were you thinking that would allow display/control of the AUX device via the head unit? To my knowledge, AUX signals don't carry tag information, so that would not work.

No he was I guess... You are right they already have an AUX in for any device but it is only that and not going to interface in anyway with the HU. I was only remembering that to "enable" the AUX in you needed to mess with the switches or something. Of course I could be way of base and that is why I said check the owners manual out.

stixx
02-19-11, 01:38 PM
Did the same thing with my droid. I have the USA SPEC iPod adapter and simply connected an RCA cord for the Android. The only "issue" is that it does not charge the Android directly. But for music, it works great.

AG'S-V
02-22-11, 11:07 PM
<-- confused

I use it normally with my ipod...so you're saying it could work with the 3.5mm converter cord?

edit...now I see after re-reading, our radios have an actual aux?

CancerJCC
02-22-11, 11:38 PM
No AUX in stock on our V's. There is the AUX in "mod" that you can do though. The SPEC VETTE not only works for iphone/ipods but also provides your standard 3.5mm AUX in as well.

Make sense?

Doctechx
02-22-11, 11:55 PM
No AUX in stock on our V's. There is the AUX in "mod" that you can do though. The SPEC VETTE not only works for iphone/ipods but also provides your standard 3.5mm AUX in as well.

Make sense?

^^^This is what I was referring to. I couldn't figure out why the Ipod plug to 3.5mm converter was needed when the SPEC has both. At this point, I think I am going to just complete the AUX mod using the XM feed that is outlined in the FAQ. It's the cheapest way to go; I will be able to use Ipod or any other MP3 device / phone; I don't subscribe to XM; and from what I have heard navigating Ipod music via the head unit is not an enjoyable experience anyway. I do have a question about the mod. The FAQ instructions indicate that there is very little wire to work with. Is there enough to install quick connects on both ends of the cut wire, so the XM could be quickly re-engaged if desired?

jnrandall
02-23-11, 01:24 PM
After having one of the earlier ipod jack mods done to my ride several years ago, I did the Aux mod in the FAQ last Fall. I now listen to Pandora Radio with my 3.5mm connection to my Nexus One. Works flawlessly. I rarely listen to the iPod now.

AG'S-V
02-23-11, 01:31 PM
OH

Duh

Damn, why didn't I realize that before!

CancerJCC
02-23-11, 02:57 PM
The FAQ instructions indicate that there is very little wire to work with. Is there enough to install quick connects on both ends of the cut wire, so the XM could be quickly re-engaged if desired?

Absolutely. I don't really know why it says that at all. Of course there isn't going to be 20 feet so you can splice in your living room but there is certainly more than most cars I have dealt with. Or maybe the space is just so much bigger, you don't have to reach into a single DIN "hole" to splice wires.

Good luck with the splice. I know I tried about every combination of wiring and still didn't get every speaker working as some have claimed. Although I am maintaining my XM subscription and just using channel 0 as my AUX input channel (no audio there). Oh well it works fine for my needs.

JimmyH
02-24-11, 07:36 PM
Another option is the Parrot music kit. Not only do you get aux input and ipod input, but you get stereo bluetooth and bluetooth speakerphone. You can even have both at the same time if your phone supports it.

Oh5V
02-26-11, 04:30 PM
i just installed an aftermarket radio in addition the the OEM system, now I got USB and bluetooth, and all still runs through the Bose amp, but sounds better than before.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/0610101730-00.jpg

stixx
02-26-11, 04:53 PM
Looks nice. What did the install run you?

i just installed an aftermarket radio in addition the the OEM system, now I got USB and bluetooth, and all still runs through the Bose amp, but sounds better than before.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/CTS-V/0610101730-00.jpg

JD03Cobra
02-27-11, 10:14 AM
Another option is the Parrot music kit. Not only do you get aux input and ipod input, but you get stereo bluetooth and bluetooth speakerphone. You can even have both at the same time if your phone supports it.

This is exactly what I'm going to get! It's all about blue tooth audio for me.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_333MKI9200/Parrot-MKi9200.html?tp=8395

JimmyH
02-27-11, 07:43 PM
Here is my write up on how to install the Parrot. It's for the CTS, but it would be almost identical for the CTS with nav and the V.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/148992-parrot-mk6100-install-bluetooth-handsfree-music.html?highlight=parrot

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/137104-how-install-parrot-bluetooth-cts-bose.html?highlight=parrot

Doctechx
03-01-11, 05:41 PM
Well, I finally decided to just go with the cheap XM splice as outlined in the FAQ. All seemed to go well. I get sound from all speakers, and no problems with any device so far. However, immediately after the job I started getting a service airbag message in the DIC and light on the dash. I have also noticed that the passenger airbag doesn't activate (per the mirror indicator) when I have a passenger. Are there airbag related wires that I messed up in the back of the head unit, or is it more likely that I dislodged something while stuffing the cord up on the side of the center console?

JimmyH
03-01-11, 06:57 PM
I never had that problem in the CTS. I did encounter airbag system warnings while installing speakerphones in a Rogue and recent Maxima. So I would guess you tripped one of the sensors. In the case of the Nissans, all they had to do was go to the dealer, and it took them 2 minutes to plug in their data tool and reset all the sensors.

DrSpeed
03-01-11, 08:42 PM
You guys have a good phone mount made up for the interior?

JimmyH
03-01-11, 09:01 PM
I always get mine from proclipusa.com. Their stuff is rugged and high quality. You pay out the nose for it, but they are worth it.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp?sectionpath=144&processor=asp&asp_processor=product&pageid=8901&sectionid=144&countryid=0&isadmin=0&pagecategoryid=14172&ppagecategoryid=13872&action=proclipcategorysearch&wizard=&step=&siteid=&parent_category=2&v_pcat=12914&v_cat=12956&p_year=2004

CancerJCC
03-01-11, 11:53 PM
I always get mine from proclipusa.com. Their stuff is rugged and high quality. You pay out the nose for it, but they are worth it.

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.asp?sectionpath=144&processor=asp&asp_processor=product&pageid=8901&sectionid=144&countryid=0&isadmin=0&pagecategoryid=14172&ppagecategoryid=13872&action=proclipcategorysearch&wizard=&step=&siteid=&parent_category=2&v_pcat=12914&v_cat=12956&p_year=2004

Yeah I had them for my iphone but considering I only keep a phone 2 years at most the price is a bit rich. I won't argue with the quality though!

JimmyH
03-01-11, 11:56 PM
Between the mount and the device holder, $100 every time you change a phone that often does seem a waste.

DrSpeed
03-02-11, 12:49 AM
I saw that too...If you guys think they are solid, I'll order a setup.

CancerJCC
03-02-11, 02:50 PM
I saw that too...If you guys think they are solid, I'll order a setup.

Between the mount and the device holder, $100 every time you change a phone that often does seem a waste.

They are absolutely solid setups. Like JimmyH and I are saying though $100 every time you switch a $400-500 phone is kinda crazy when you really think about it. Then after you have upgraded the ebay re-sale value is next to nothing because everybody else has upgraded! ;)

Currently for my Droid X I am using an Arkon mount http://www.arkon.com/Windshield_Mount.php. For $20 something shipped it is a quality universal piece. The "legs" can be moved both from side to side and also moved from one side of the mount to the other. Hard to explain but the quality is excellent and it comes with more than one configuration. I read good reviews on it and have been extremely satisfied with it.

JimmyH
03-03-11, 04:15 PM
they are so expensive, I still have old ones laying around from previous phones and cars. I can't bring myself to throw them away. I still have the console mount for the CTS.

7YRITCH
03-07-11, 06:51 PM
Hello, saw the post where you had installed an aftermarket unit to get bluetooth / usb in your V. Could you give some of the details of the install, perhaps a few up close pictures, and the unit you used etc? I would appreciate it. At first glance, I think I want to duplicate your setup.

Thanks for your time. Best Regards,

Carey

JimmyH
03-07-11, 08:50 PM
Hello, saw the post where you had installed an aftermarket unit to get bluetooth / usb in your V. Could you give some of the details of the install, perhaps a few up close pictures, and the unit you used etc? I would appreciate it. At first glance, I think I want to duplicate your setup.

Thanks for your time. Best Regards,

Carey

If you are talking to me, it was above in post 18 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/222392-android-phone-integration-2.html#post2510842). Any kit from Parrot will work with my writeup. Any full speakerphone bluetooth kit will work and install pretty much the same way. Only the newest parrot kit, the mk9100 I think, will give you ipod input.