: FINALLY, it's fixed

wcryan
02-16-11, 09:14 PM
I put up a couple threads about my "hanging throttle" that I would get which was almost impossible to drive with.

The only way that I could stop this problem was to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and it would go away for 100-200 miles

I was finally fed up to the top with it, and drove it for a little bit before I took my car in to the dealership the next day. On my way home the night before the check engine light comes on. I said "great". not only this stupid hanging throttle, but now a check engine light.

Took it in and they fixed the Clutch Positioning Sensor. Got the car back, and wallaaaa. It was fixed. I think my problem was I kept resetting the battery too fast and the code never got a chance to pop up, which in case never made the check engine light come on.

I was just confused because before I had this worked on 5000mi prior to it happening now for the same reason.

Is this a part I can have replaced? Can these go bad? I dont want to have this happen again and again

Thanks,
Ryan

rand49er
02-16-11, 10:41 PM
Sorry I didn't follow your post real well, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

Oh, btw, it's not "wallaaaa" ... it's voila, I believe.

wcryan
02-17-11, 04:21 AM
hahaha. You tried helping me before on this matter. To get down to the point. The clutch positioning sensor was making my hanging throttle. The only way to fix it was to reset the car by disconnecting the battery. I kept doing that, and there was no time for the check engine light to come on.

PISNUOFF
02-17-11, 12:18 PM
Oh, btw, it's not "wallaaaa" ... it's voila, I believe.

Hahahahhahaha. Randy, I think you are the only person that could get away with saying this.

Ryan - I'm glad it's finally fixed.

rand49er
02-17-11, 01:48 PM
Hahahahhahaha. Randy, I think you are the only person that could get away with saying this.

Ryan - I'm glad it's finally fixed.Au contraire ... I bow down to the great, the one-and-only, the true master at correcting the English language: tbjs. :worship:

Wait a minute ... that's French!

Chris0nllyn
02-17-11, 05:18 PM
So, can anyone tell me how the clutch positioning sensor ties into the throttle?

Just wondering

rand49er
02-17-11, 06:25 PM
So, can anyone tell me how the clutch positioning sensor ties into the throttle?

Just wonderingHey, you're getting back on the subject!

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, but that "wallaaaa" hijacked my brain there for a moment.

Yeah, how does that work ... anyway? The only connection I know of is the human body ... you know, up the from the clutch pedal into the left leg, thru the nether regions, then down the right leg to the gas pedal. Is there another connection?

But, Ryan ... however it worked, glad you're back on the road.

Chris0nllyn
02-17-11, 07:05 PM
Hey, you're getting back on the subject!

:lol: Thats crazy talk...

Only thing I can think of, is that switch is for the cruise control. Ya know, when you push the clutch in while in cruise, it cuts cruise off. I guess if that switch is bad, it could make your throttle stick...

Just a hypothesis

rand49er
02-17-11, 10:08 PM
... Just a hypothesisWell, it's sure better than mine!

PISNUOFF
02-18-11, 09:53 AM
There is programming in the PCM that shuts off fuel when you push in the clutch. It is called clutch fuel cutoff, much the same as decel fuel cutoff. I'm sure it has something to do with the effects of this.

kevm14
02-18-11, 10:11 AM
I should check that with my cheapo scantool. These cars hit DFCO on clutch-in and the revs STILL drop that slowly? Man these flywheels are great...

wcryan
02-18-11, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I really dont know how it worked, but it obviously had something to do with it because now it is gone.
There was three symptoms that would occur when I had this hanging throttle issue. This might help you guys figure it out
- The hanging throttle/RPM's (when trying to switch to next gear, you have to wait 1-2 seconds before the RPM's come down to match ur next gear)
- When downshifting from say; 3rd to 2nd. Usually ur RPM's hang for a second so you can match ur downshift. As soon as you would engage the clutch in third to switch down to second, RPM's drop dramatically fast down to idle, thus making the RPM's have to climb all the way back up
- When getting on it, and shifting in considerably high RPM's. It almost seemed like the car was dying for a split second after each shift into a gear. Like it had no fuel and there was no responsiveness through the throttle, but then a split second later it would come back alive and you would go back into your acceleration. Then next shift, the same thing happens

Hope this might help a little bit

kevm14
02-18-11, 08:48 PM
- When getting on it, and shifting in considerably high RPM's. It almost seemed like the car was dying for a split second after each shift into a gear. Like it had no fuel and there was no responsiveness through the throttle, but then a split second later it would come back alive and you would go back into your acceleration. Then next shift, the same thing happens

Whoa. This got my attention. My car has done this multiple times, usually on the 2-3 or 3-4, at high rpms. No stability control, just a momentary loss of power. I wonder if that's a sign that the clutch switch is on its way out. Very interesting. Does the rev limiter or throttle work differently with clutch in vs out? If it thought the clutch was still disengaged, maybe it wouldn't allow actual WOT until it saw the clutch switch close (or open...whatever). I'll see if I can find anything in HP Tuners.

wcryan
02-18-11, 10:01 PM
I SPOKE TOO FAST F*CK............ It's back again, and I am taking my car in and not picking it up until they fix it. Kevm14, did tuning ur car help at all? This is the only time I dont want to drive my car; and its sad cause I always love driving it.

I'm gonna try and get a video

Does anyone know if the clutch positioning sensor can go out?!?!?!

CadzillaTN
02-19-11, 02:04 AM
Do you still have the muffler delete?

wcryan
02-19-11, 03:10 AM
Yeah, still have it...... did u get the same issue with urs?

kevm14
02-19-11, 09:48 AM
I haven't tuned my car yet because I haven't purchased HP Tuners. I just downloaded the demo and have been familiarizing myself with an LS6 CTS-V stock cal. I didn't see anything about a clutch switch/throttle control interaction. The TAC module doesn't take any input directly for clutch position so it's either hard coded in the PCM, or the issue is caused by something else, like torque management.

CancerJCC
02-19-11, 12:09 PM
OP is your car stock?

If not there are various tables within HP Tuners that allow for adjustment of the "hanging throttle" and "hunting throttle" (revs dip and raise then find the target idle speed). They are the throttle follower and throttle cracker tables and can be a PITA to work with.

As for the clutch in DFCO that Brian was talking about I have been playing around with this table myself. It cuts fuel for a moment when you clutch in but seems to be less beneficial for my 18lb. flywheel and the added drag the blower places on the motor. (It seems to cause a slight lag when shifting into the next gear). But I digress that is my situation and not yours! :) Hopefully though it makes some sense for you of what could be happening.

CadzillaTN
02-19-11, 12:17 PM
Yeah, still have it...... did u get the same issue with urs?

Yeah, I had that lofty hanging throttle when I had them off. Could have been a complete coincidence or a placebo effect when I had them welded back in, but the issue seemed to go away. I probably had my car in for work around that time so it could have been something else..

wcryan
02-19-11, 04:02 PM
We'll if it doesnt throw a code this time, hopefully a tune will help it

as for mods just a K&N CAI, muffler delete, and short shifter

wcryan
02-19-11, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I had that lofty hanging throttle when I had them off. Could have been a complete coincidence or a placebo effect when I had them welded back in, but the issue seemed to go away. I probably had my car in for work around that time so it could have been something else..

Also, what kinda work did u have it in for?

CancerJCC
02-21-11, 02:47 PM
We'll if it doesnt throw a code this time, hopefully a tune will help it

as for mods just a K&N CAI, muffler delete, and short shifter

A tune, or lack thereof, with these mods shouldn't matter. In other words a tune isn't going to fix your issue, it must be something else.

CadzillaTN
02-21-11, 03:14 PM
Also, what kinda work did u have it in for?

All kinds of stuff, I can't remember now..

I thought about it again, and it's possible I never had a true hanging throttle where it sits at a certain rpm and won't come down. With the mufflers off, I may have just experienced a greater audible perception of the car's already slow return down the rpm band due to the massive fw... Eh, I can't remember. Hope you get it worked out.

wcryan
02-22-11, 05:28 AM
im gonna have them replace the clutch positioning sensor and I hope that works..... if it even is replacable. Darkman chime in here, haha

Houdini
02-22-11, 08:57 AM
Not sure if this attachment will help you or not....

wcryan
02-23-11, 05:00 AM
I guess ill have them order a new one..... cause it's gettign rediculous now