: How do you change the interior front dome bulbs in a 2010 SRX?

Gormerica
02-16-11, 08:54 PM
Help!!! Im digging the Captains SRX and everyones pictures.

I want to order the white bulbs for interior but cannot figure out how to change them ? I dont want to pry down the console ?

Basically how do you get to the bulbs?

THX!

Smokin' SRX
02-16-11, 11:52 PM
The clear plastic covers/lens pry off. gently! I use a sharp blade screwdriver or my pocket knife. Grab the bulb within........

SS

Gormerica
02-18-11, 12:09 AM
THANK YOU SmokinSRX!!!! This worked perfect!!! YOU DA MAN!! Ordered all new bulbs on v-leds per TheCaptains pictures and posts. (Thank you! and Thx Captain!)

kw5829998
02-18-11, 02:24 PM
The clear plastic covers/lens pry off. gently! I use a sharp blade screwdriver or my pocket knife. Grab the bulb within........

SS

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Got the cover/lens off but do I just grab the bulb and pull it straight out? I tried gently as it's a small bulb and hard to grip. Tried wiggling it too just they seem to be in there pretty good.

What about the rear passenger lights? How do you get the cover off? One side is the push in and the other side is the light part. Which side do you start to pry off? Worried about breaking it!!!

TheCaptain
02-18-11, 03:19 PM
If you check out my SRXMods thread, i have pics of the plastic covers, which essentially shows you how to pull them out.

Smokin' SRX
02-19-11, 12:41 PM
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Got the cover/lens off but do I just grab the bulb and pull it straight out? I tried gently as it's a small bulb and hard to grip. Tried wiggling it too just they seem to be in there pretty good.

What about the rear passenger lights? How do you get the cover off? One side is the push in and the other side is the light part. Which side do you start to pry off? Worried about breaking it!!!

I just pulled/wiggled the bulbs out. Yes, tight fit. Take a look with a flashlite at the bulbs, with dome lights off, for a good idea of angle/position to pull on it. In rear I haven't looked at in a while (still stock bulbs in mine) but I don't recall any problem opening them from either end......slowly. Maybe I got lucky? If immovable, of course, go to other end. Go slow, you'll be OK.

The Capts pix/thread are very good! See here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/194669-srxmods-very-pic-heavy.html

kw5829998
02-20-11, 02:52 AM
Thanks Smokin' SRX for an informative post.
Yes I've seen the pictures many times but it didn't answer my questions - hence my post.

TheCaptain
02-21-11, 07:48 PM
See this pic? It is the rear push cover for the light. The one stick end is the push end which you pry out first. The end with the two grabbers has to slide/yank out after the front is out, hence why it has the little square thingy's on the back of it.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/SRX%20Mods/IMG_3849.jpg

kw5829998
02-21-11, 09:41 PM
OK, thanks.

2011_SRX
02-25-11, 01:36 AM

I used monofilament fishing line to remove the bulbs. I tied a hangman's loop and pushed it over the bulb as far back as it would go (to the flat part of the bulb). Apply steady pressure on the monofilament and the bulb will pop out. I advise pulling steady and not tugging because you may break something. I tried several bulb removers first and could not grip the bulbs in the over head console and rear lamps over the doors.

kw5829998
02-25-11, 02:11 AM
Good idea :thumbsup:
I'll do the same.

Gormerica
02-26-11, 07:48 AM
THANKS AGAIN CAPTAIN, got my lights from vleds.com yesterday, got the dome lights installed easy while I was sitting in the car with the doors closed, however how do you change the lights under the dash I have to have the door open to do this and the lights are on, and VERY VERY HOT. Did you either remove a battery cable or remove a fuse to change the rest of the bulbs so they are NOT on or how did u do it?????

THX!!!!!

TheCaptain
03-01-11, 03:01 PM
Gloves buddy, little hand gloves, like mechanix gloves. Let the doors close and cool the light. Have the cover off so you're ready to rip the light out.
Then once the doors have been closed for awhile, fling the doors open and quickly rip out as many incandescent's as you can. (foot well, and door spot lights)

jpcork40
03-01-11, 09:35 PM
Next question: I pushed to hard changing the front overhead bulbs which pushed the socket up and away from the overhead console. How do I drop the console down (or get to this area easily)so I can snap the socket into whatever was holding it?

TheCaptain
03-02-11, 02:33 PM
Small screwdriver, and lightly flex and pull the centre overhead console down. Everything is held in by clips, but i missed a picture of this when it was out...

jpcork40
03-03-11, 06:38 PM
I will give it a try when my wife is not around, it's her car.............

LouieG
10-21-13, 09:22 PM
I have a 2010 SRX AWD. The front map lights work, however, the courtesy lights on the same don't work. All other courtesy lights work. I had a problem with water leaking into cabin. My Cadillsc dealer fixed ( they said drain holes from moon roof were plugged) After, I noticed that visor vanity mirror lights were inop. Took back to dealer for fix with wiring or wiring harness. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-22-13, 01:44 PM
I have a 2010 SRX AWD. The front map lights work, however, the courtesy lights on the same don't work. All other courtesy lights work. I had a problem with water leaking into cabin. My Cadillsc dealer fixed ( they said drain holes from moon roof were plugged) After, I noticed that visor vanity mirror lights were inop. Took back to dealer for fix with wiring or wiring harness. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hello LouieG,

Are you going to contact your dealer for your current courtesy light issue? If you would like assistance throughout this process, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

'12CTSman
10-22-13, 04:07 PM
On the overhead console in the middle there is a rocker switch to control the interior lights. Press in at top to turn lights off. Press at bottom to turn lights for constant on. The middle position is for lights to come on with door opening. You can also leave a door or the liftgate open and all interior lights will go off in 10 minutes. My '13 Premium has LEDs under the dash along with the OEM courtesy lights and under the rear seats there are LEDs. I also have LED lighted front door sills. I am still in the process of changing all the OEM to LEDs. TheCaptain's pics and instructions are priceless.

LouieG
10-24-13, 09:21 PM
Hello LouieG,

Are you going to contact your dealer for your current courtesy light issue? If you would like assistance throughout this process, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Laura,
Thank you!
Yes, I would appreciate your help. How do I communicate with you. Dealer is LaFontaine in Highland, MI. I presently own two Cadillacs and have owned many morein the past!

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-24-13, 09:53 PM
Laura,
Thank you!
Yes, I would appreciate your help. How do I communicate with you. Dealer is LaFontaine in Highland, MI. I presently own two Cadillacs and have owned many morein the past!

Hello LouieG,

Thank you for your continued patronage of our products! You can click on our name and there should be an option to private message us. I think there is a certain number of posts you must make before you can private message though. If you are unable to private message us, you can also reach out to us at socialmedia@gm.com. Just be sure to include “ATTN LAURA” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to her. We hope to hear from you soon!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

adamjeeps
02-04-14, 01:56 PM
You can take a small flat blade screwdriver (eyeglass size) and push on the back of the bulbs to remove them. There is just enough room to pry them out this way. And it makes it much easier to turn off the lights on the roof console switch so the lights are not too hot. Use a flashlight to see what you are working on, if needed. You will be seeing spots if you stare at the stock and led replacement bulbs for too long! Make sure to test them before putting it all back, especially the front foot-well lights, that takes some contortionist qualities.

In my opinion, a new Cadillac should have led interior bulbs as standard equipment!

adamjeeps
02-14-14, 03:51 PM
Another tip for the lights behind the rear door grab handles if you can't remove the lens covers: Flip off all your lights at the main overhead switch. Remove the handles by popping off the bolt covers and each bolt. Pull out the handles, they are stuck in there with tabs, just pull straight out while jiggling a little. Now, you can pull down the light assembly. From the backside, take your small flat blade and push the lens cover tabs down and out. They will come out about 3/4 of the way. Then, work the cover off by pulling and rotating it down from the front side. The lights can now be removed. I used needle-nose pliers to grip them and pull straight out. Now, push the button on the light and make sure your new led works before reassembling everything!

ccclarke
02-16-14, 10:37 AM
A quick and easy way to safely remove the 194 wedge tail bulbs is to place a slightly oversized piece of heat shrink over them, heat it up and gently pull the bulb out. It's a lot less risky than using needle nose pliers (especially when if the bulb breaks and you're left with a mess to extract from the socket.)

CC

adamjeeps
02-16-14, 03:05 PM
That is a good tip. I was really careful not to squeeze too hard, but with my luck I'm surprised I didn't break one.

Finally got all the interior, vanity, license plate, and puddle courtesy lamp bulbs changed over. It's pretty cool they are all the same 194 bulb, compared to the MKT that is 3 different bulbs for the dome, license plate, and cargo areas, and possibly a fourth for the puddle lamps in the exterior mirrors. Still need to buy those!

fgauer
02-21-14, 05:39 PM
Just replaced my map and dome lights with blue LEDs this afternoon. Thanks for all the tips on this forum thread. The new lights look FANTASTIC!