: Subwoofer Install 2010 SRX

Max405
02-16-11, 02:59 PM
Hey everyone,
I bought my SRX around Thanksgiving and I am loving it. What a wonderful cruising car it is. I get more compliments on it than I get on my 911, believe it or not. I had a minor gripe about The Stereo system though. It was just lacking in bottom end. I went to my local Zippos car stereo in Central New Jersey and they fixed the problem. They added a JLAudio sealed truck wedge with a 10" W1v2 subwoofer and a JLAudio 600/1 HD amp. The Sub box fits into the storage bin that is beneath the subfloor in the cargo area. The amp fits neatly in a recessed area just in front of the bin. The installer set the box in and had to cut a small amount of the styrofoam tray. The sub fires downward. The whole system is tucked away and you cant see it. The door closes perfectly. So the only cargo area lost was the the hidden storage area, that I didnt use anyway.

So how does it sound? Unreal! I was concerned that I would be wasting money on a bass addition to a system that has preset Bose equalization as a limiter. If you are interested in a similar upgrade, you will be shocked by the amount of bass that can be generated by the Bose system. The amp is barely working and the Tone Bass setting on the headunit is set to 2 or 3. The amount of bass generated is perfect for me using this setting. You feel the bass drum in the bottom of your seat. And, if you want to blow out the windows, I guess you need to set the tone bass to 7 or 8 and turn the amp up 1/2 way. Thats how powerful the system is.

The Stock Bose stereo is now true audiophile quality after the upgrade. I love the JLAudio components, they are truely 1st rate. I was told, if you dont want to cut the tray in the storage bin, JL has an 8" ported box that would sound just as good. Anthony at Zippos is a great guy and will flip over backwards to help you.

I hope that helps you folks who were wondering if the stock stereo can be improved. It can, and for very little money using the components I listed.

Sincerely, Joe D.

Gormerica
02-16-11, 10:17 PM
WOW, Joe that sounds awesome!!! Actually sounds very stealth and sleek looking do you have any pictures ????

THX!!!!

Hey everyone,
I bought my SRX around Thanksgiving and I am loving it. What a wonderful cruising car it is. I get more compliments on it than I get on my 911, believe it or not. I had a minor gripe about The Stereo system though. It was just lacking in bottom end. I went to my local Zippos car stereo in Central New Jersey and they fixed the problem. They added a JLAudio sealed truck wedge with a 10" W1v2 subwoofer and a JLAudio 600/1 HD amp. The Sub box fits into the storage bin that is beneath the subfloor in the cargo area. The amp fits neatly in a recessed area just in front of the bin. The installer set the box in and had to cut a small amount of the styrofoam tray. The sub fires downward. The whole system is tucked away and you cant see it. The door closes perfectly. So the only cargo area lost was the the hidden storage area, that I didnt use anyway.

So how does it sound? Unreal! I was concerned that I would be wasting money on a bass addition to a system that has preset Bose equalization as a limiter. If you are interested in a similar upgrade, you will be shocked by the amount of bass that can be generated by the Bose system. The amp is barely working and the Tone Bass setting on the headunit is set to 2 or 3. The amount of bass generated is perfect for me using this setting. You feel the bass drum in the bottom of your seat. And, if you want to blow out the windows, I guess you need to set the tone bass to 7 or 8 and turn the amp up 1/2 way. Thats how powerful the system is.

The Stock Bose stereo is now true audiophile quality after the upgrade. I love the JLAudio components, they are truely 1st rate. I was told, if you dont want to cut the tray in the storage bin, JL has an 8" ported box that would sound just as good. Anthony at Zippos is a great guy and will flip over backwards to help you.

I hope that helps you folks who were wondering if the stock stereo can be improved. It can, and for very little money using the components I listed.

Sincerely, Joe D.

Smokin' SRX
02-16-11, 11:10 PM
Welcome MAX405 and thx for that input. Some here have noticed the lack of hutspah with the bass on our radios. We can be a picky group, LOL

Would ya give us a ballpark $$ ? Any idea on the 8" , since you admit the one you got is an earthquake machine..... :-)

As Gormerica says, pix would be fantastic, if ya get the chance. But thx for this!

SS

ps...........ya got a 2010 or 11 ? Model? Performance, lux, Premium...

Max405
02-20-11, 07:20 AM
WOW, Joe that sounds awesome!!! Actually sounds very stealth and sleek looking do you have any pictures ????

THX!!!!

Hi, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys on this. I went away for a couple of days. I will post pics.
Thanks, Joe D.

Max405
02-20-11, 07:33 AM
Welcome MAX405 and thx for that input. Some here have noticed the lack of hutspah with the bass on our radios. We can be a picky group, LOL

Would ya give us a ballpark $$ ? Any idea on the 8" , since you admit the one you got is an earthquake machine..... :-)

As Gormerica says, pix would be fantastic, if ya get the chance. But thx for this!

SS

ps...........ya got a 2010 or 11 ? Model? Performance, lux, Premium...

Hi, I think the price for the amp is $400. The 10" sub is $199. Plus whatever your local shop will charge for the install. It took my guy 3 hours. You can definitely get a cheaper amp. This thing is WAAAYYY overkill. From what i understand, the 8" is not cheaper than the 10". It is the latest and greatest and not discounted yet. I think it is $239.
The 10" fits like a glove. My installer had to cut the tub. He gave me the piece that he cut just in case I wanted to restore it back.

I have a 2010 model, 3liter Premium. There is not a single thing that I am not completely satisfied about this car. Some reviewers complain about the power. I realize its not a "V" but it has plenty of power. Cadillac did a great job on this car. No doubt. Its a keeper.

Joe D.

GMJim
02-20-11, 08:17 AM
I have a 2010 model, 3liter Premium. There is not a single thing that I am not completely satisfied about this car. Some reviewers complain about the power. I realize its not a "V" but it has plenty of power. Cadillac did a great job on this car. No doubt. Its a keeper.

Joe D.

Joe, please find SOMETHING to bitch about. You will not last long on this forum with a perfect car.
I own the only other perfect one.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Max405
02-20-11, 10:06 AM
Joe, please find SOMETHING to bitch about. You will not last long on this forum with a perfect car.
I own the only other perfect one.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That was funny. OK, I do have something. The mats. I am surprised they put such crappy mats in a car like this. I immediately ripped them out and put in a set of Lloyd mats. Much nicer.

Aside from that, I am thrilled.

Thanks, Joe D.

Max405
02-20-11, 10:25 AM
Here are the pictures.
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/max405/030.jpg
Here is the JL Audio 10" W1v2 sub.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/max405/034.jpg
Here is what it looks like in the basement

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/max405/026.jpg
Here is the amp

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/max405/033.jpg
To prove that the door closes. All nice and tidy..

Just a small update. When I am carrying luggage back there, I flip the box upside down, close the door and have the sub fire downwards. When I dont have anything back there, this is how I prefer the setup. Fire up, with the door open. The bass is deep, but very well defined. There is a volume knob located in the front of the vehicle that controls the gain on amp. You absolutely NEED this. The reason is, some songs have an over abundance of bass. Some have very little bass. You need to be able to tweak the bass. The remote knob is perfect. You can tune the perfect amount of bass at the convenient turn of a knob. Nice...

I hope this helps.

Joe D.

kw5829998
02-20-11, 12:14 PM
They did a nice job on the install.
If you have the sub firing up do you notice much of a difference with the door up or down?
Do you not have a spare tire in there? How deep is the box?

KevinOpp
02-20-11, 08:28 PM
i've been looking for months to upgrade the Bose system, but my local (excellent) audio guy said that GM never released the adapter that is necessary to gain access to the system. more than anything, i'm looking to install an amp. do you know anything about the adapter?

Max405
02-21-11, 10:38 AM
They did a nice job on the install.
If you have the sub firing up do you notice much of a difference with the door up or down?
Do you not have a spare tire in there? How deep is the box?

Firing up with the door open creates better definition in the bass. Firing down limits the bass to just deep bass you can feel. Like I said, it will fire up with the door open. When I close the door, I'll flip it upside down.
No spare tire.
The box is around 10" deep or so on one side and 5" on the other. Its a wedge.

Joe D.

Max405
02-21-11, 11:09 AM
i've been looking for months to upgrade the Bose system, but my local (excellent) audio guy said that GM never released the adapter that is necessary to gain access to the system. more than anything, i'm looking to install an amp. do you know anything about the adapter?
The bass speaker is self powered. So you dont need an adapter. The installer will disconnect the Bose bass speaker and connect a new amp and real subwoofer. No need for an adapter.

If you want to disconnect the entire system and all bose related equalization/processing I think you do that with a JL "clean sweep". I felt no need to do that. The mid to high frequencies are fine in a Bose system. I left mine as it was.

JD

KevinOpp
02-21-11, 04:57 PM
The bass speaker is self powered. So you dont need an adapter. The installer will disconnect the Bose bass speaker and connect a new amp and real subwoofer. No need for an adapter.

If you want to disconnect the entire system and all bose related equalization/processing I think you do that with a JL "clean sweep". I felt no need to do that. The mid to high frequencies are fine in a Bose system. I left mine as it was.

JD

then as i understand this, the amp is only powering the subwofer, correct? i'm looking for an amp that will boost power to all 10 speakers.

Max405
02-21-11, 05:45 PM
then as i understand this, the amp is only powering the subwofer, correct? i'm looking for an amp that will boost power to all 10 speakers.
The amp that you can add is only going to power the sub.
Be careful with adding an amp that will add power to ALL speakers. You may have to replace speakers at some point.

There are speaker replacements that would make the stock system operate more efficiently, thereby improving sound. JL makes component speakers that take more power and give off a brighter sound with more pop. Look into that before looking to adding an amp to boost the entire system.

JD

KevinOpp
02-21-11, 07:20 PM
yes, i would replace everything if i could, but the adapter harness is just not made that will allow this to happen. the integration of the nav system audio, satellite radio, cellular service, etc. makes it apparently impossible to just tap in and add an amp or equalizer to the system.

i'm very glad you got the bass worked out for your vehicle, but there have been other threads in this forum of people wanting to change a lot more than that and it's apparently not going to be possible; GM has stated that they were not producing the harness to allow it. so when i originally read your post, i thought something might have changed.

nice setup, though!

wcben
05-23-11, 11:11 AM
Hi all, I work for JL Audio as an Area Sales Director and, in tech support.

MAX, great to hear that you're happy with your 10W1v2 and the XD600/1 it's a pretty straightforward combination. Very cool that the enclosure fits down in that well for you, the CP-108W3v3 (the 8" enclosure I'm sure they were referring to), will fit even better as it's not wedge shaped.

As far as amplifying the rest of the speakers in the vehicle, it can be done but, as mentioned, it would be best to replace all of the factory speakers at that time. To do that, you would need the CL-441DSP (the Cleansweep®) and, the CL-SSi (the signal summing interface), if you want to keep fading, you'll need two CL-SSi's. From there, you'll be able to use any amplifier (or amplifiers)! The difficult part would be trying to retain the factory speakers (they aren't really top quality speakers anyway) and the equalization that is done in the factory electronics is to address the quality of the speakers and the acoustics in the car. so, ultimately, you would need to replicate the factory equalization and crossovers (really allot of work for not allot of benefit). You'd be much better off replacing those factory speakers with better quality aftermarket ones!

You won't find a plug and play harness to do all of this, it requires hard-wireing, it's not really difficult but we do suggest that if someone isn't really familiar with audio systems and, higher level installation that they refer to a qualified pro.

Anyone that has questions on how the system works please call us at: 954-443-1100, ask for tech support, we'll be happy to get you headed in the right direction!