: is it bad to wash your car too often ?

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 11:31 AM
just wondering there is a full service wash near me they charge 32 dollars a month after taxes for the mid grade wash wich is what i get for unlimited washes i includes under body flush foam wax and rain z services

i go every other day
i figure why not use it
but is it bad to wash that often ?

i like a clean car i like to keep all my things clean dont want to roll in a dirty car and only wash ones a month

but am i better of taking the thing ones a week for a exterior wash at 8 dollars

or am i getting a good deal and do i have to worry about to much washing
doing anyting bad to the paint or body ?

gary88
02-16-11, 11:57 AM
YES

Automatic car washes will eat away your clear coat, and if it isn't touchless of course it will swirl the hell out of your paint.

Wash it by hand once or twice a week if you want the best results.

drewsdeville
02-16-11, 12:34 PM
YES

Automatic car washes will eat away your clear coat

"eat" away? :confused:

EcSTSatic
02-16-11, 12:43 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/automatic-car-wash-tips/

STSS
02-16-11, 02:51 PM
Neither of my Cadillac's have gone through an auto car wash since I bought them....

RightTurn
02-16-11, 03:53 PM
Oh good grief.

Florian
02-16-11, 03:56 PM
seriously.....dude, you need a hobby.

F

Koooop
02-16-11, 04:08 PM
Car washing is a good hobby.

STSS
02-16-11, 04:12 PM
:yeah: I also consider it exercise....

Tripod
02-16-11, 04:23 PM
Its only bad when the dogs in the bed of the pickup start choking on the foamy blue stuff that looks like bubble gum

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 05:03 PM
it is touchles and soft cloth dry
id never take my car threw one of those older washes that was not touchless

YES

Automatic car washes will eat away your clear coat, and if it isn't touchless of course it will swirl the hell out of your paint.

Wash it by hand once or twice a week if you want the best results.

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 05:04 PM
Neither of my Cadillac's have gone through an auto car wash since I bought them....
so in the winter time what do you do
go to a hand detail shop or do you go out in the winter and wash it
see in the summer i always go to hand washes i see down in cleveland i know a few that do a really decent inside and outside job for 14 dollars
but in the winter they arent opened

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 05:06 PM
seriously.....dude, you need a hobby.

F

i have hobbys i like to built radio control car kits well i used to like to
i also spend time with my dog at the park ones a day if im in town
i sit on the PC and play games when i have time
i hunt for work when i have time

but i cant be to active at times consider im 31 i have had colon cancer 3 times since i was 8 when they first found it
i have fragle bones that can break if not carfull have had 5 broken bones in 31 years

so i dont have alot of options i can do

STSS
02-16-11, 05:13 PM
so in the winter time what do you do
go to a hand detail shop or do you go out in the winter and wash it
see in the summer i always go to hand washes i see down in cleveland i know a few that do a really decent inside and outside job for 14 dollars
but in the winter they arent opened

I continue to hand wash my cars (I now have a garage that stays about 45F)

Before I had a garage, I either washed the cars outside in the freezing cold (warmish water) or I took my cars to the local pressure wash stall with a bucket full of soapy water and a few sponges (those thick rubber gloves help if the stall is open on both ends....)

gary88
02-16-11, 05:34 PM
ONR is a great wash that you can use indoors during the winter.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

thebigjimsho
02-16-11, 07:32 PM
it is touchles and soft cloth dry
id never take my car threw one of those older washes that was not touchless
Is there such a thing as touchless with soft cloth dry? That's awful.

The point of touchless is not to touch your car. Then it gets touched by towels? I don't care how good a touchless is, it will never get out all contaminants. And then drying it with cloths amplifies scratches left by the contaminants. Nevermind touchless car washes needs to use very aggressive soaps to get off grime without touching. It's far from harmless.

Spend the money on getting your car fully detailed. Wash, clay bar, polish and then at least 1 coat of wax. Then, take it through a automatic wash WITH brushes to get it fully clean without the harsh soaps of a touchless. If you can't wash it yourself, use a sealant every 6 months. Or a wax every 3.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 08:30 PM
I wash my van 3 times a day. I've got one of those "unlimited washes for $19.95 a month" and I'm really getting my money's worth. :sneaky:

Submariner409
02-16-11, 08:46 PM
deleted............

Submariner409
02-16-11, 08:49 PM
......deleted

drewsdeville
02-16-11, 08:51 PM
I wash my van 3 times a day.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/ror_big.jpg

(Assuming you aren't serious...)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 09:06 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/20/ror_big.jpg

(Assuming you aren't serious...)

I am serious. Here it is today at the car wash. Very clean for 252k miles and 11 years. Since I drive down a lot of rural dirt roads, it gets dirty very quickly and I've convinced my boss to pay for my car wash pass because a clean van makes us look better in front of our clients.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/242853043.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1297909344&Signature=FdH%2F70z4ojmM3lzCOHGWtShxx40%3D

drewsdeville
02-16-11, 09:13 PM
Damn, 3 car washes a day...that's dedication.

I feel like a slob in this thread. I haven't washed my car since last year, though I keep the interior spotless.

Jesda
02-16-11, 09:18 PM
Definitely a good idea to look clean and presentable for a sales job.

I used to love hand washing and detailing my own cars, but I don't find joy in it anymore for whatever reason. Except for the soft-top Saab, I take them through the automatic wash with nasty brushes every month or two.

drewsdeville
02-16-11, 09:22 PM
I used to love hand washing and detailing my own cars, but I don't find joy in it anymore for whatever reason. Except for the soft-top Saab, I take them through the automatic wash with nasty brushes every month or two.

Ditto. even 5 years ago or so, I used to love spending some free time on the weekends polishing my cars up. Hell, I had my '95 looking near showroom new at one point, even under the hood:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7361/76491300.jpg

At some point, I just completely stopped caring. I don't even care to use an automatic anymore.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 09:25 PM
I wash my Regal about once a week at work after I punch out. I run it through the touchless wash & dry, then finish hand drying it. I might drive 150-200 miles a week in the Regal, but 900-1200 a week in the Astro.

hueterm
02-16-11, 09:32 PM
I might wash and wax the ETC once a year by hand. The others...no way.

The Concours's rear window outer weather seals are kind of loose, so I only use the spray gun so I can avoid direct impact w/the strongest part of the stream. The wagons I only use a spray gun, as I don't want to mess up the hand touchup work on the vinyl woodgrain.

I will run the ETC and the EXT through automatics, though.

EChas3
02-16-11, 09:48 PM
I hate carwash wax on the windsheild. When I do use a carwash, underbody flush is the only option I find worthwhile.

I always towel dry using high quality microfiber towels. It only takes a few minutes more to get all the sills: all doors, underhood and trunk. Black gets dirty fast but looks great when clean.

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 09:51 PM
ONR is a great wash that you can use indoors during the winter.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

omg ppl are comming out with eveyring and anything now they have wash that is a no rinse just a rub on lol what is nex t

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 10:00 PM
Is there such a thing as touchless with soft cloth dry? That's awful.

The point of touchless is not to touch your car. Then it gets touched by towels? I don't care how good a touchless is, it will never get out all contaminants. And then drying it with cloths amplifies scratches left by the contaminants. Nevermind touchless car washes needs to use very aggressive soaps to get off grime without touching. It's far from harmless.

Spend the money on getting your car fully detailed. Wash, clay bar, polish and then at least 1 coat of wax. Then, take it through a automatic wash WITH brushes to get it fully clean without the harsh soaps of a touchless. If you can't wash it yourself, use a sealant every 6 months. Or a wax every 3.

what kind of sealant is good
i problaby wont worry about getting a sealant or anything not right now cause if things go as planned then im going to have the car repainted dealership told me that if i just want the same color and everything there body shop would do it for me for 1900 that includes pain supplies labor sand blasting the hood to have it taken care of from the rust where the grill meets the hood from what i hear thats a common problem
and also there is one little rust spot starting under the passenger side door
so they do that also
then they will take the few little dings out nothing really bad just a few like a from a shopping cars or something that you cant even notice unless you feel it
that also includes the door jams they said they will get to everything they can that is not on the outside as long as they dont have to be taking panels out and all total price is 1900 plus taxes
aslongs as its the same color so that what im planning on

so all this is good to know also
guess ones i get it repainted in the summer if things go the way i want them to over the next few months
then ill problaby never take it threw a car wash ever again unless its a hand wash
the body shop delaership guy went to school with my brother thats why he says hes giving me a good deal on it said normaly he would charge someone like 3000 for that
but since hes also gona do it on his own time a little he also said he will do his best to make the body look like it just came off the show room floor new he said no taping off and painting said he will take parts off take moldings off on the outside he wont be taping anything off so thats good

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 10:01 PM
......deleted

am i missing something sub what did you delet ?

gary88
02-16-11, 10:02 PM
Personally I love washing/detailing my car, put some music on and I can go on for hours. Heck I even ate dinner in the garage once in between claying/waxing.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 10:19 PM
A few friends of mine are that way too Gary. My buddy Brandon still has his first car, a 86k mile black/tan leather 1996 Caprice Classic with the LT1 that's completely stock and in as close to new condition as you'll ever find. He only takes it out of storage once a year for the Carcraft Summer Nationals, but he takes two days off work before the show so he can spend 12-18 hours washing and waxing it, along with completely cleaning the interior and conditioning the leather. The amount of time he spends on it is just mind boggling. If he allows me to ride in it for the 12 mile drive from his house to the Carcraft Summer Nationals, I'm not allowed to touch anything except for the door handle and seatbelt.

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 10:21 PM
i know i also want to get it cleaned up under the hood come spring was thinking of going to a detail shop asking them to do the used car dealrhsip clean type thing but then i think isnt it bad dont they power wash that or steam clean unde rthe hood and all and thats nto good ?

i just know that there is alot of dirt up under there wish i had thout about it whyll the engine was out i would have asked the mechanic if i could come to the shop ad work on scrubing the engine compartment down and getting it all cleaned up

but is steam clening good i know a few places use that in there detail shops but i know not to power wash

Destroyer
02-16-11, 10:22 PM
A few friends of mine are that way too Gary. My buddy Brandon still has his first car, a 86k mile black/tan leather 1996 Caprice Classic with the LT1 that's completely stock and in as close to new condition as you'll ever find. He only takes it out of storage once a year for the Carcraft Summer Nationals, but he takes two days off work before the show so he can spend 12-18 hours washing and waxing it, along with completely cleaning the interior and conditioning the leather. The amount of time he spends on it is just mind boggling. If he allows me to ride in it for the 12 mile drive from his house to the Carcraft Summer Nationals, I'm not allowed to touch anything except for the door handle and seatbelt.That is just excessive! :cookoo::lildevil:

hueterm
02-16-11, 10:26 PM
How does it not deteriorate from sitting for a year?

Koooop
02-16-11, 10:27 PM
I drag a towel across the V in the morning to get the dew off her. Does that count as a wash? Sometimes I breaks out the squeegee and really clean 'er up reel nice like.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 10:34 PM
That is just excessive! :cookoo::lildevil:

Tell me about it. His dad lets him detail all his cars ('66 Chevelle SS427 COPO Convertible, '70 GS455 Stage1 Convertible, 70 442 W30 Hardtop).

How does it not deteriorate from sitting for a year?

It's under a cover, in a big fancy insulated and heated pole barn on a friend's farm.

gdwriter
02-16-11, 11:11 PM
Personally I love washing/detailing my car, put some music on and I can go on for hours. Heck I even ate dinner in the garage once in between claying/waxing.In the spring and summer, I will often spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon washing and detailing my car (I will usually do clay bar, cleaner wax, and two coats of carnuba wax, plus wheel wax and the start of spring and end of summer). I'll put Hoover out on a tie-down in the front yard, and put on some music. I get a lot of satisfaction from seeing my car gleaming in the driveway. Last summer, I got pretty anal and was cleaning the bugs off the front bumper and mirrors every day (I drive through farm country back and forth to work).

In the winter, if there are going to be a string of dry days, I will run Sabrina through the car wash just to get the grime off. But even when she's dirty on the outside, I keep the interior clean. I cannot stand a dirty, cluttered interior.

A couple of winters ago, I didn't wash Cruella from December to April; by March, the filth was so bad that even a couple of trips through the car wash wouldn't have gotten her clean. Driving down a muddy road twice a week to my golf class made it even worse. When I finally did wash and detail her, it was a full weekend project.

Before:

http://www.gdwriter.com/DSC02181.jpg

http://www.gdwriter.com/DSC02187.jpg

After:

http://www.gdwriter.com/DSC02233.jpg

http://www.gdwriter.com/DSC02235.jpg

A few friends of mine are that way too Gary. My buddy Brandon still has his first car, a 86k mile black/tan leather 1996 Caprice Classic with the LT1 that's completely stock and in as close to new condition as you'll ever find. He only takes it out of storage once a year for the Carcraft Summer Nationals, but he takes two days off work before the show so he can spend 12-18 hours washing and waxing it, along with completely cleaning the interior and conditioning the leather. The amount of time he spends on it is just mind boggling. If he allows me to ride in it for the 12 mile drive from his house to the Carcraft Summer Nationals, I'm not allowed to touch anything except for the door handle and seatbelt.Now that's just f*cking nuts. I'm as sentimental as the next guy about a first car, but that is probably the most babied '96 Caprice on the planet. Nor do I get the point of only taking it out just once a year. It's not a a priceless gullwing SL Mercedes; it's a freakin' Caprice! What's the point of having a car you love if all it does is sit in the garage under wraps. I bought Betty to drive and enjoy. I spend far more time driving her than I do polishing every spoke of her hubcaps 15 times.

Ranger
02-16-11, 11:15 PM
Better find a new car wash Gary. She looks far worse "after" than "before".

EDIT:
Ahh, I see you corrected it. :)

Koooop
02-16-11, 11:19 PM
It's not a just a freakin' Caprice you dumb ass! It's a taxi...

I still have my first car, it's a chevy too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 11:22 PM
Now that's just f*cking nuts. I'm as sentimental as the next guy about a first car, but that is probably the most babied '96 Caprice on the planet. Nor do I get the point of only taking it out just once a year. It's not a a priceless gullwing SL Mercedes; it's a freakin' Caprice! What's the point of having a car you love if all it does is sit in the garage under wraps. I bought Betty to drive and enjoy. I spend far more time driving her than I do polishing every spoke of her hubcaps 15 times.

Yeah yeah I know, but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum is my friend Andy. He's got that '75 Royal Monaco Sedan, 41k original miles. It's parked in his grandma's garage for probably 360 days out of the year (same # as the size of his engine, lol), but when he takes it out to shows, he just runs it through the touchless car wash, dries it off and hits the road.

gdwriter
02-16-11, 11:33 PM
Better find a new car wash Gary. She looks far worse "after" than "before".

EDIT:
Ahh, I see you corrected it. :):doh: At least we can edit posts, right?

Jesda
02-16-11, 11:34 PM
Years ago I used to run outside with a towel to get the water drops off my Q45 after it rained. Ahh, youth.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 11:37 PM
One of my best friends still lives with his folks in their house. Being a nice, big house, they've got that automatic sprinkler system, so I always park across the street from their place so the sprinklers don't come on and get hard water all over my car, which hurts the finish and must be washed off shortly after.

gdwriter
02-16-11, 11:38 PM
Yeah yeah I know, but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum is my friend Andy. He's got that '75 Royal Monaco Sedan, 41k original miles. It's parked in his grandma's garage for probably 360 days out of the year (same # as the size of his engine, lol), but when he takes it out to shows, he just runs it through the touchless car wash, dries it off and hits the road.He's still not getting nearly as much enjoyment out of his classic car as I am mine. Of course, I've seen pictures and his is almost pristine, and there aren't any restoration parts for a '75 Royal Monaco, while I could pretty much replace anything on Betty out of a catalog. Also, Betty is a driver-quality restoration. For one thing, that's what I can afford, and for another, it's more practical if you want to enjoy driving your classic car on a regular basis. In the 12 years I've owned Betty, I've put 74,000 miles on her, and I've enjoyed just about every one of them.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-16-11, 11:40 PM
I still think all those guys are too anal about their cars. What fun is a car if you only drive it 3-5 times a year? Whenever I get my classic ;) I'll drive it on any summer weekend, as long as it's not raining, so I can atleast enjoy driving it and not just looking at it in my garage and thinking about how great it is.

ThumperPup
02-16-11, 11:52 PM
Years ago I used to run outside with a towel to get the water drops off my Q45 after it rained. Ahh, youth.

ahhhhhh i am guilty of this also just not with a Q45 i did it with my Mark VIII OMG dad was like just leave it be im like noooooooooooooo

The-Dullahan
02-17-11, 03:32 AM
I have never taken my car through an Automatic Wash before. I imagine it is forbidden anyhow. Still, doing it THAT often can certainly cause some lasting damage.

Stingroo
02-17-11, 08:17 AM
I uhm.... I've only washed the wagon once.

:hide:

I hate car washes. lol And I dread the day I ever get the brilliant idea to wash this much car by hand. Hell no.

DouglasJRizzo
02-17-11, 09:04 AM
it depends on a few variables. I hand wash my collectables, but my daily drivers mostly (but not always) go to a car wash. I'm of the opinion that washing frequently is a good thing, as it keeps the salts, tar, road chemicals etc off of the paint.

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 09:57 AM
I have never taken my car through an Automatic Wash before. I imagine it is forbidden anyhow. Still, doing it THAT often can certainly cause some lasting damage.
Since I have a full automatic, with brushes, car wash that is 24 hours and is $3.99 at its cheapest I let my Scrub A Dub yearly VIP pass expire. $400, unlimited washes. But with that pass, on days that snow is melting and the roads are wet I have washed my Town Car 4 times in 1 day.

Even now, I probably send my TC through an automatic wash about 200 times per year. And while the finish is not show car quality, it still has a deep shine with no swirl marks. People constantly confuse my 195,000 mile '07 with a brand new car.

Keep it clay barred, polished and waxed, or use a sealant, every 6 months and it'll be fine.

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 10:02 AM
it depends on a few variables. I hand wash my collectables, but my daily drivers mostly (but not always) go to a car wash. I'm of the opinion that washing frequently is a good thing, as it keeps the salts, tar, road chemicals etc off of the paint.
Exactly. And if you take a car that's got caked on grime through a touchless, you'll see a film of grime remaining. And even if it's not that bad, you're fooling yourself if you think a touchless gets all that crap off. There are levels of clean. We clay bar because using a sponge or brush can't get everything in normal washes. So you can bet that a spray of water gets even less.

A touchless will make it look clean, but it won't really be clean. And eventually that will catch up to you.

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 10:08 AM
Now, the V gets a full bath by hand as often as possible. In between, I will take it to a touchless. Sometimes my hard water is too bad and I'll wash it by hand and then take it to a touchless to get a conditioned rinse and a blow dry. Then I'll use my Griots microfiber drying cloths to get the rest.

It then gets clay barred, polished(if need be) and waxed every spring and fall...

drewsdeville
02-17-11, 10:09 AM
Exactly. And if you take a car that's got caked on grime through a touchless, you'll see a film of grime remaining. And even if it's not that bad, you're fooling yourself if you think a touchless gets all that crap off. There are levels of clean. We clay bar because using a sponge or brush can't get everything in normal washes. So you can bet that a spray of water gets even less.

A touchless will make it look clean, but it won't really be clean. And eventually that will catch up to you.

Touchless still has it's merits. I'm probably not the only one who finds it difficult to clay bar and scrub the underbody of my car, especially in frigid winters with caked on road salt.

Washing painted components are the least of your worries. The main function of paint is to protect the metal underneath. Looking pretty is merely secondary. A car with a crusty/crispy underbody isn't worth anything, regardless of how pretty the body is on top.

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 10:09 AM
And sometimes I just use a little Griots Speed Shine wax detailer to get little spots...

thebigjimsho
02-17-11, 10:13 AM
Touchless still has it's merits. I'm probably not the only one who finds it difficult to clay bar and scrub the underbody of my car, especially in frigid winters with caked on road salt.

Painted components are the least of your worries. The main function of paint is to protect the metal underneath. Looking pretty is it's secondary function. A car with a crusty/crispy underbody isn't worth anything, regardless of how pretty the body is on top.
Yep, I agree. Some of my other posts address that. There are levels of clean. A touchless is better than nothing so hit it if you can...

ThumperPup
02-17-11, 10:33 AM
cool thanks for all the info here

but still im a bit confused i dont really know what claybar is i never used one before
could someone explain please

when the weather is nice ill hit it up with one if i can find out more about it and all thanks

STSS
02-17-11, 10:40 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=clay+bar&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

ThumperPup
02-17-11, 11:27 AM
so basicly its like waxin and then rinse ?

gdwriter
02-17-11, 12:10 PM
The process is hand wash, dry, clay bar, then wax. As mentioned, I do one coat of cleaner wax, then two coats of carnuba wax, but if all you have time for is one coat of wax, that's OK. After growing up with rubbing compound, I was dreading the idea of taking a clay bar to my car, but it's easy and only takes about an hour to do the Seville. And the results are worth it. You'll feel the difference when you run your finger over a surface that's been clay barred.

Submariner409
02-17-11, 05:39 PM
Get into www.autogeek.net and buy their wash, clay bar, wax, buff, swirl removal, detail, you-name-it DVD.

You wanna keep your car concours ??? Start spending money. That little black tub of Pinnacle Carnauba wax, sitting on the Porter-Cable box, will run you $85.

ThumperPup
02-17-11, 06:43 PM
ok im going to for sure clay bar when the weather is nice
who make sthe best claybar ? i think i already asked this and didnt look up so gona go look up a few posts and see if i did and if it was answred but if it wasnt
what is the best clay bar to get ?
is one brand better then the other ok im preatty sure i did ask this so i feel dumb asking again lol

Stingroo
02-17-11, 06:48 PM
I think I would trust Sub's judgment. Any man with a detailing garage like that means serious business. :thumbsup:

ThumperPup
02-17-11, 06:50 PM
i thout he was saying get the dvd from them didnt know they had the stuff also ioh

gdwriter
02-17-11, 07:59 PM
I think I would trust Sub's judgment. Any man with a detailing garage like that means serious business. :thumbsup:Sub's garage is more organized than mine. I've got more stuff for cleaning my car than I do for my house. And I keep my house clean, too. :lol:

Destroyer
02-17-11, 09:42 PM
I have an extended '02 Ford E250 van in black. I wash it at the local gas station car wash. I have no complaints. Spending $6 for the wash sure beats manually washing a big black Ford van. I think the car wash works great. I use it for the Jag and the Daytona as well. The Olds gets washed by me, only because I enjoy it now.

ben.gators
02-17-11, 09:47 PM
^
Your olds is convertible with a soft top... Is it safe to use car wash?

billc83
02-17-11, 10:05 PM
Seriously, clay bar is AWESOME. I wouldn't have believed it before I did it; you can literally FEEL the difference.

I use Meguiar brand myself, though I suspect most clay bars are the same. Gary hit the nail on the head: Wash, dry, clay bar, wax.

Also, Pup, please get off terry cloth towels and get yourself a chamois or microfiber towels.

ThumperPup
02-17-11, 10:24 PM
Seriously, clay bar is AWESOME. I wouldn't have believed it before I did it; you can literally FEEL the difference.

I use Meguiar brand myself, though I suspect most clay bars are the same. Gary hit the nail on the head: Wash, dry, clay bar, wax.

Also, Pup, please get off terry cloth towels and get yourself a chamois or microfiber towels.

thats something els i never understood
my father was the one who washed a car with me for the first time well he let me wash one of his cars with him the first time i ever did
and he always uses a shamee i never understood
how come a shamee it seems like no matter how much i squeez it to get it dried before going back over the car again it is still wet
so im not sure i understand that

i do use microfiber towels when i do hand wash it
and the car wash near me uses a soft microfiber towel

they even have a sighn up and are responsible they say not responsible for parts loose or broken but if there towels or workers scratch your car they will pay for it to be touched up or repaired if rubbing compond doesnt work at there cost

so im asuming that have a towel that is not a scratcher i think

orconn
02-17-11, 11:52 PM
What do you guys think of those California "Squeegees?"

gary88
02-18-11, 08:47 AM
What do you guys think of those California "Squeegees?"

I use one on my windows, I used it on the body for a little bit but it just didn't sit well with me (although it worked nicely!). For painted surfaces I still prefer drying with a couple of microfiber cloths.

drewsdeville
02-18-11, 09:04 AM
We used nothing but the water blades at the auto body shop I worked at. It's ideal as long as the car is perfectly clean. No risk of streaks, scratches, or swirls, and it's really fast an effective.

Use a water blade on a car that was poorly washed or is dusty and you could run into some problems, however.

Submariner409
02-18-11, 03:29 PM
For light work I use a California Duster, followed by Pinnacle Crystal Mist detail spray used with microfiber towels. Use an air compressor and hose/gun to blow out the cracks and crevices.

The garage is a car/hobby/audio/planting/marine engine/woodwork/home maintenance shop - so I have to configure it for the task at hand.

gdwriter, My problem is that a 2.5 car garage is too small for all the toys - I'm always screwing 1 X 12's to brackets to accomplish this:

ben.gators
02-18-11, 08:24 PM
^
Wow, look at those chairs hanging there... Sub, any earthquake in Kent Island?

ThumperPup
02-18-11, 08:39 PM
wow sub i would seriously be freaked to have anything hanging over my car

Ranger
02-19-11, 02:03 AM
Maybe it's an illusion, but those puppies seem to be packed in rather tight. How do you get into (or out of) them?

Submariner409
02-20-11, 11:12 AM
The point-and-shoot camera lens distorted the garage - the chairs are hung on plastic-covered "bike hooks" screwed into the joists. The truck and car are 5 feet apart. Regardless, there IS a lot of stuff in there and up ^^ there.

You can't see it, but there's also a 12 foot stepladder hanging horizontally over the car..............:bomb:

Funny you mention earthquakes - we did have a tremor here last year. Slight, but enough to rattle the glasses in the china closet.

This gives a better idea of the actual distance between vehicles................December.............

Stingroo
02-20-11, 10:58 PM
Seeing that photo makes me think of one thing:

Yo dawg, I herd u like wreaths, so we put a wreath on your wreath.... Ah you know the rest.

Frikiton
04-10-11, 05:09 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/automatic-car-wash-tips/

Interesting..... :hmm:

Sevillian273
04-10-11, 06:45 PM
One time I was at a light watching a group of cute high school girls in bathing suits enthusiastically advertising, CAR WASH!! CAR WASH!! - You stop, give them your money, then they direct you to pull around the building where the football team awaits to wash your car. :ill:

orconn
04-10-11, 07:39 PM
One time I was at a light watching a group of cute high school girls in bathing suits enthusiastically advertising, CAR WASH!! CAR WASH!! - You stop, give them your money, then they direct you to pull around the building where the football team awaits to wash your car. :ill:

Fair enough! I know, you were expecting something like the car washing scene from "Cool Hand Luke!" Oh, well the boys probably do a better job .... but there tips probably aren't as good!

Sevillian273
04-10-11, 07:45 PM
Neither are the visuals. :nono:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-10-11, 07:52 PM
I miss the bikini car washes. There seemed to be more of them around here like 4-5 years ago, and I think last summer I only saw one.

And yes, if you're wondering, I had them wash the Astro.