: key broke off in ignition.... any ideas?

Jared0029
02-15-11, 09:06 PM
Part of my key broke off into the ignition yesterday. I have an extra key, but I am not able to get the piece out. Called a locksmith and he said it was in too far and he couldn't get it out either. Does anyone have any ideas? or any tips on how to take the steering column apart to get to the ignition? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

destinyintllc
02-16-11, 05:35 AM
small thin flat head with a magnet tip. I would think a locksmith would have one though. tell us the year that might help not sure.

good luck

Jared0029
02-16-11, 09:34 AM
its a 2000. I don't think a magnetic tip of a screwdriver is going to do the trick. I am looking at removing the ignition, any tips on how to do that?

Jared0029
02-17-11, 09:55 AM
well I now have it all torn apart. However, I still can't figure out how to get the lock out. I was doing some research and one person had said to remove the set screw and turn the car to the on position to remove it. I removed the screw, however, I can't turn the lock at all. Does anyone know how to remove the lock?

Jerms77
04-09-11, 06:30 PM
I have a similar problem. One of my tumblers dropped in my lock cylinder and I cannot turn the key. I have torn everything down as well but you cannot depress the release pin without turning the key to run. I can't turn mine at all it's stuck in lock. I have been searching and searching the web but can't find any information on removing the cylinder lock by another method.

Jerms77
04-09-11, 06:31 PM
So If anyone has any information please share!