: Help please major coolant leak and overheating!

catdaddie
02-15-11, 01:13 PM
My cadillac catera started having major problems when i was driving my car in -11 degree weather without warming it up and coolant light on and heat was on ? so i started driving and i notice my temp gauge got hot and i heard water leaking from passenger side but didnt see anything! i checked my radiator and hoses for leaks nothing but i noticed resevoir tank empty any suggestions?and i have another problem when i drive i either make a turn or press lightlyy on the brakes my car kills and fuel cap and battery comes on !
please help me !:hmm:

AHazzardToAll
02-15-11, 04:20 PM
Sounds like your heater control valve. Check these links out.

Locationvvv
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/208516-heater-control-valve-hoses.html

Relocationvvv (something to think about as it is a common part to go out.)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/184451-98-catera-hcv-relocated.html

catdaddie
02-15-11, 05:11 PM
thanks i just ordered a hcv i will replace it and update it!
any idea on whats wrong with my car stopping and my fuel cap light comes on and battery and stops when i press on the brake???

hgqguy
02-15-11, 06:59 PM
I had a problem with my car stalling out on me when I would make left had turns.. . Mine ended up being a shoot.. I cant think.. hold On Ill get the repair bill..ok... evap purge valve. My car would act up on a full tank of fuel. below 1/2 tank was fine... the purge valve was stuck open.. they told me that it could damage the charcole filter insode the canister in the tank, and if that happens.. then it will need a new tank, $700 from cadillac... Mine was ok though..

Maybe this helps??

My repair bill was $650 from the GM dealer at $90 hr labor.

retho78
02-16-11, 05:00 PM
The HCV relocation was done by me and it is working good so far :-)! Also, I do not use dexcool antifreeze but just the normal all makes and model anitfreeze from Walmart. I have been using the all makes and model coolant for the past 5 years and so far no issues. With dexcool antifreeze I used to have problems, so flushed the whole system out with the prestone flush and using the all makes and model antifreeze.

Thanks

retho78
02-19-11, 09:27 AM
did you ever get this leak fixed...any updates?

catdaddie
02-28-11, 05:46 PM
welll i flushed my system and replaced my HCV (which was hell) and it seems to be better but the stalling still persists so im thinking if purchasing that evap purge valve because my car just dies and i crank it right back up and go . it dies when i press on the brake , making turns, and before it kills it hesitates ? any suggestions?

hgqguy
02-28-11, 06:31 PM
the stahlling issue sounds EXACTLY like mine was!! Take notice if the car does not have a problem with the tank only 1/2 full or under?? and if it has more of a problem when full???

Also.. like I mentioned the GM dealer said there is a charchol filter inside a canister in the fuel tank for the vent I belive... if the purge valve is stuck.. it sucks fuel threw the filter and can ruin the filter and thus will need to replace tank. If that is needed find a used tank on ebay.. or something. I had found one for $60 or so.. but didnt end up needing it.

What happens is fuel is being sent threw all the time, so the throttle body is always trying to adjust.. so when u hit the brake there is to much fuel.. or so the car thinks, so it leans it out, then it stalls cause there wasnt too much fuel where needed.. but was fuel where not needed thus messing up the idol on the car.. Mine would stall on left hand turns! Id throw it in nuetral restart and go.. I got good at it.. If u go to the gm dealer I would recomend the computer to be reflashed.. once work is done.

retho78
02-28-11, 06:47 PM
Just curious! Where is the evap purge valve located?

Thanks.

catdaddie
04-07-11, 02:35 PM
i have no clue but if any one could tell me i would be most appreciative!.............please help me and guide me to locate where the exact problem is !

hgqguy
04-07-11, 08:14 PM
HRM... Im not really sure where it is.. I belive it is on the engine... There was a guy that sold his catera a cpl months ago that did the work himself.. busta something was his name..

Ok I sent him an email.. and I will wait for his reply.. I will try to post it when I get it.

I also just bought a set of service manuals from kaustin?? I should pick them up in a few days!... I know the GM dealer charged me $609 or so for the replacement of the valve.. I think it included doing upper intake and all that.

hgqguy
04-08-11, 09:03 PM
purge valve is in the engine compartment. passenger side and bolts to the back of the cyl. head. it will have a green plastic tag on the line.

This is what busta emailed me. He replaced his. I hope this helps!!

catdaddie
05-07-11, 09:56 PM
where can i purchase the valve?? and wat is the exact part name and where can i buy it?

catdaddie
06-07-11, 04:36 PM
do u know where i can purchase it???

kaustein
06-07-11, 07:11 PM
Parts supply store. For me it was only about $100 and I paid someone to buy and install.