: Most Expensive Warranty Fix $48,000

zero26039
02-14-11, 07:06 PM
2011 Porsche Panamera just left the dealership after three weeks and a 9 page report of what was completed. grand total $48,000. They replaced the cpu and did a full engine replacement. Car had 7,000 miles on it. It was never raced or abused. It went it because the service engine light came on and after they replaced the computer, it didn't go away so they pulled the engine.

The car should have been lemoned out but they wanted it fixed. The original engine and cpu was crated up and is being shipped to Germany for the engineers to examine.

For those who are interested the engine costs $35,000 plus labor.
This was a record for the Porche dealership.

a few wheel clicks and sunroof noise in nothing compared to this

Razorecko
02-14-11, 07:10 PM
lol, I love the markup. A new lsa is what, like $ 15k tops ?

dvandentop
02-14-11, 07:37 PM
good lord insane

snzuloz
02-14-11, 07:45 PM
That doesn't surprise me considering the price of the vehicle (at least 160,000+) and the lack of parts availability as well. Be thankful, because at most dealerships (such as Porsche) they charge you a diagnosis fee for every complaint that you bring forth (min charge is usually 1 hr per complaint) at 140-150$ hr labor. I have never been charged at any Chev dealership in my lifetime to date for such things.

jrcmlc
02-14-11, 09:18 PM
Althought the OP doesn't specify, even the highest end of the Panamera is ~$140k and $35k for an engine in even that car is ridiculous, period. God, let's hope that with $48k of warranty work it was the high-end unit, otherwise they should have crushed it and moved on.

Under warranty I've never had Porsche charge me for anything, diagnosis or anything else, FYI.

Joe

muohio
02-14-11, 09:40 PM
Stories like this make me appreciate the simplicity in the LS line of engines. An LS9 can crank out more than 600hp and probably takes up less room than the Panamera Turbo's engine while weighing less.

cbloveday
02-14-11, 09:49 PM
equivalent to 24m warranty repair on a 70m caddy.

zero26039
02-14-11, 10:18 PM
Althought the OP doesn't specify, even the highest end of the Panamera is ~$140k and $35k for an engine in even that car is ridiculous, period. God, let's hope that with $48k of warranty work it was the high-end unit, otherwise they should have crushed it and moved on.

Under warranty I've never had Porsche charge me for anything, diagnosis or anything else, FYI.

Joe

Model 4s sticker price of about $107,000. The car should have been crushed and replaced but they promised if this isnt the cure then they give up. They finished when they said they would and so far the light is off..... for now

zero26039
02-14-11, 10:20 PM
freight was $3761.00. Every time I look at the work order something else shocks me

dvandentop
02-14-11, 10:39 PM
pretty nuts they can figure out what is triggering a CEL and just rpl the motor instead

baabootoo
02-15-11, 12:35 AM
Yep, I will never complain about a few creaks, rattles, or an oil leak then........

Caddyscat
02-15-11, 12:54 AM
From an engineering standpoint, the German cars are way overdone. There are those that get the impression that because they paid more for something, it should automatically be superior to the rest, i.e. Amsoil. What I really mean is that a pushrod engine, as simple as it is, can be efficient and powerful as well. Granted you might not get as much efficiency as in a VVti engine, but the probability of failure goes up as you add more and more moving parts to help out with saving fuel. We have all read the arguments from the European fanboys that German engineering is top notch. I get the impression that it is simply overkill, and the marketing of these cars appeals to those who love over-engineering and require a status symbol. What I have a hard time understanding is, who in their right mind would pay that much for an engine that has self-destructed? I realize that it WAS under warranty, but if it wasn't, you would have to be out of your mind to think it was of any value to pay that much to have the work done. On that note, I really hope the V does well in the speed world challenge, and I hope to see it walk some volkswagens, I mean, Porsches. It will really be nice to see the elitists reaction when an old mans caddy gets some wins.

Domsz06
02-15-11, 08:18 AM
i'd chime in at my cost of my LSA replacment, but there are not costs associated with my items. IT's all listed as zero.

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-21-11, 02:47 PM
I don't think GM would give a shit if a V engine failed, they'd just tell you to f off. Porsche is doing something you'll never get if you buy GM, they replaced 48k worth of equipment and sent your engine to Germany to be examined to find the problem.

stabie
08-21-11, 03:16 PM
I think GM would care, but I would prefer they just give me a new car and they take the old one and rip it apart. Call me crazy.

Speedtrapped
08-21-11, 04:35 PM
As an owner of many German engineered cars, and still a proud owner of 03' RS6(only year imported into USA), the cars are more complicated then necessary IMO. I love my RS6 and will never sell it, because I have a shit load of $ into in mods. But, when the car came to the US, it came with a pos suspension, hydraulically actuated called DRC, it has been recalled 2x and most owners rip it out and install coil overs, me KWv3. The other weak spot was trans, tip only and the ZF is awful. The TC has been recalled, and as most newer owners build on the engine, they have to almost always rlace the TQ or beef up transmission, I did both. This was an $83k car in 2003! Now then engine is bullet proof, but that's because it was a Cosworth. Audi owned cosworth in 03'. The engine with TT is amazing and for it's time fast, 450/446. Even funner, a timing belt must be replaced every 15k miles, and involves a total bumper removal, PIA. Got to love pushrods.

JimmyH
08-21-11, 08:19 PM
As an owner of many German engineered cars...the cars are more complicated then necessary IMO.

It's not just the high-end cars. My stepdad's $25k GTI would not pop its hatch. They had to replace the module in the hatch, a module under the dash, and a module in the driver door. Over $600 in parts and labor. Good God. And don't even get me started on the DSG mechatronic...

smackdownCTSV
08-21-11, 08:40 PM
Old thread, but that dealer made some bank on the install. Probably why they wanted to fix it rather than lemon it.

orconn
08-22-11, 08:02 PM
I don't think GM would give a shit if a V engine failed, they'd just tell you to f off. Porsche is doing something you'll never get if you buy GM, they replaced 48k worth of equipment and sent your engine to Germany to be examined to find the problem.

As Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute!

Destroyer
08-22-11, 08:18 PM
As Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute!We are car guys, therefore we are all "suckers" at some point in time. :)

Playdrv4me
08-23-11, 12:43 AM
The car probably should have been lemon lawed, but it's nice to see Porsche stepped up to the plate on this and made it right for the customer one way or another. BMW certainly never responded this way when I complained about a repeated engine vibration in my '03 745i.

Speaking of BMW... Before labor, the M5 V10 *block alone* is still more expensive non-refurb...

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NB93&mospid=48807&btnr=11_3681&hg=11&fg=05

ThumperPup
08-23-11, 10:42 AM
The car probably should have been lemon lawed, but it's nice to see Porsche stepped up to the plate on this and made it right for the customer one way or another. BMW certainly never responded this way when I complained about a repeated engine vibration in my '03 745i.

Speaking of BMW... Before labor, the M5 V10 *block alone* is still more expensive non-refurb...

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NB93&mospid=48807&btnr=11_3681&hg=11&fg=05

I remember dad had so many problems with a 745i that thing was in the dealer every 2 weeks for something
after 5 trips back int he first 2 months they lemoned it it was BMW of Solon he refused to take a new car just left it there got his lawyer in contact with them and finaly the guy who owned jaq and rang rover land rover there also said what do you want he said he would take a rang rover pay any differnece in cost or want any difference in cost refunded but he does not want a BMW finaly after a few weeks of going back and fourth the owner of the dealership decided ok he has never even considered another BMW and never will he said it was most the I-drive that gave him all the trouble i think

Playdrv4me
08-23-11, 02:36 PM
Yeah, that car essentially marked the beginning of the end for BMW.

About all that's left is the E9x series coupes and ironically, the SUVs. Unfortunately, the SUVs are laughably overpriced for what you get given the market.

ThumperPup
08-23-11, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that car essentially marked the beginning of the end for BMW.

About all that's left is the E9x series coupes and ironically, the SUVs. Unfortunately, the SUVs are laughably overpriced for what you get given the market.

i rememebr when the X5 first came out but i had no idea they have even smaller SUV's untill just about 4 years ago when i started seeing the really small X series and those i think are loughably over priced also

but i know ill never own a car with I-drive thats for sure no matter ho much they have fixed it i don't agree with it

but i also remember lots of ppl saying that the erly 2000s had some bad rang rover designee and builds
i know someone who personally had a 2002 Rang Rover and he cussed it to death lol it was in the shop all the time and he also bought a 2003 after that and it was in the shop constantly also need i say he never bought another one LOL

but the Rang Rover my dad got to replace the BMW i drove that for about 4 or 5 months about 15k i think and i never ones had a problem with it i think its got like 80k on it now and other then basic Maintenance it has never been in the shop

gary88
08-23-11, 09:15 PM
The newest iDrive is pretty simple and easy to use now, still a slight learning curve to it though. Now they moved a ton of buttons to the controller itself which eliminates the need for scrolling through menus, and they added six buttons on the dash which you can program to any function you want (radio stations, navigation addresses/configurations, phone numbers, traffic info, audio source, etc).

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2008/10/the-new-bmw-7-series-idrive-controller.jpg

Jesda
08-23-11, 10:51 PM
Cars with knobs, driven by knobs.

Playdrv4me
08-23-11, 11:48 PM
i rememebr when the X5 first came out but i had no idea they have even smaller SUV's untill just about 4 years ago when i started seeing the really small X series and those i think are loughably over priced also

but i know ill never own a car with I-drive thats for sure no matter ho much they have fixed it i don't agree with it

but i also remember lots of ppl saying that the erly 2000s had some bad rang rover designee and builds
i know someone who personally had a 2002 Rang Rover and he cussed it to death lol it was in the shop all the time and he also bought a 2003 after that and it was in the shop constantly also need i say he never bought another one LOL

but the Rang Rover my dad got to replace the BMW i drove that for about 4 or 5 months about 15k i think and i never ones had a problem with it i think its got like 80k on it now and other then basic Maintenance it has never been in the shop

The L322 Range Rover deployed in Europe in 2002, and in the US in 2003, was a design created almost entirely during BMW's ownership of Land Rover. When they sold Land Rover to Ford somewhere around 2000, the nearly completed project, along with the lead engineer went with it.

We've had both a 2002 X5 4.6iS and a 2003 Range Rover, and both were above average on reliability (and both of which tend to spark the same kind of FUD as the CL55, possibly with reason) . Neither truck did anything annoying or consistently problematic. The X5 is the only one that had a disabling failure of a water pump and belt during that time. The Range Rover, which is based on a stretched X5 platform, is one of the most amazing uses of platform engineering I've ever witnessed. The average consumer would NEVER have any idea they are essentially the same truck given the extremely luxurious furnishings, materials, and shapes in the Range Rover's cabin.

As for iDrive... I never had a problem with it, but I'm tech inclined. The new iDrive controller Gary pictured is magnitudes more user friendly and mimics the well received Audi arrangement, as it should since they are engineered by the same company.

ThumperPup
08-24-11, 12:01 AM
The L322 Range Rover deployed in Europe in 2002, and in the US in 2003, was a design created almost entirely during BMW's ownership of Land Rover. When they sold Land Rover to Ford somewhere around 2000, the nearly completed project, along with the lead engineer went with it.

We've had both a 2002 X5 4.6iS and a 2003 Range Rover, and both were above average on reliability (and both of which tend to spark the same kind of FUD as the CL55, possibly with reason) . Neither truck did anything annoying or consistently problematic. The X5 is the only one that had a disabling failure of a water pump and belt during that time. The Range Rover, which is based on a stretched X5 platform, is one of the most amazing uses of platform engineering I've ever witnessed. The average consumer would NEVER have any idea they are essentially the same truck given the extremely luxurious furnishings, materials, and shapes in the Range Rover's cabin.

As for iDrive... I never had a problem with it, but I'm tech inclined. The new iDrive controller Gary pictured is magnitudes more user friendly and mimics the well received Audi arrangement, as it should since they are engineered by the same company.

ah cool thanks for this info i knew i read something along the lines once of the X5 and Ranger Rover ebing on the same Platform

JimmyH
08-24-11, 11:49 AM
The newest iDrive is pretty simple and easy to use now, still a slight learning curve to it though. Now they moved a ton of buttons to the controller itself which eliminates the need for scrolling through menus, and they added six buttons on the dash which you can program to any function you want (radio stations, navigation addresses/configurations, phone numbers, traffic info, audio source, etc).

http://www.automobilesreview.com/uploads/2008/10/the-new-bmw-7-series-idrive-controller.jpg

I think I will start my ipod before I start moving, then just stick to driving :D