: Is brown an old man's color?

greyghost04
02-14-11, 12:25 PM
Stopped by the dealer lot on Sunday and saw a Mocha with Shale/Brownstone SRX. I loved it! I'm 58. I showed a picture to my son, age 28. He said, "Dad that's an old man's color. Get black or silver". I asked him if grey would be OK and he said yes. So are the brown shades looked down upon nowadays? I'm an earthtone guy. I realize though I have no ability to pick room colors, so I'm just as bad on car colors. Am I out of date on this issue? Be brutally honest about this to me. :yup:

TRMN8R1
02-14-11, 12:32 PM
The morning I went back to the dealer to start the paperwork, the salesguy told me that they had just received the Mocha colored one in. It was sitting outside, cleaned up and I have to admit, it looked awefully good! Hey, I think you should buy whatever color you want and forget about the 'old age' inferrances to colors, etc. Just sayin'

jbsharpe
02-14-11, 01:18 PM
I just got my Mocha Steel on Saturday. I'm 46, considered old I guess on some fronts. Everyone who has seen it states they love the color. In the rainy NW, I wanted a color that doesn't show dirt as much. It also makes the chrome wheels and chrome accents pop nicely. Good luck, so far I love my new ride!

sube5186
02-14-11, 02:34 PM
I would have a few choice words for your son, but I'll respect the fact that he is your son. My wife told me that wood trim on the interior was for old men. Well, I guess I'll just be an old man then, because I love the Sapele wood accents. Is your son paying for the car? Of course not. Colors are purely subjective. It's your car. Get whatever color turns "you" on. Personally, I think the mocha is very rich looking and complements the shale/brownstone interior well. Just my .02 on the matter.

Sube

GeeVee
02-14-11, 02:42 PM
For those of us in our 50s, remember back to the muscle cars of the 70s that were painted lime green, purple, orange etc? If that is what is considered youthful, I think most of us will pass. For what it`s worth, I don`t consider brown to be a geezer color. Like Sube, I really like my Sapele wood. I would have liked a bit more on it as a matter of fact. Buy what makes you and your wife most happy

OffThaHorseCEO
02-14-11, 02:50 PM
WHAT?! I consider myself a "young" man, and i love the Mocha color. i also really like wood accents.

on the other hand i HATE silver cars...
silver to me is for someone who wants a car, and just about any car would do.

ickday1
02-14-11, 05:57 PM
Age is a state of mind, regulated by arthritis and loss of faculties. As you age,
you lose 10 of those faculties. 1. Your hearing starts to fade; 2. Your eyesight
gets a bit dimmer; 3. Your memory starts to go; 4. ...Uhh, I forgot what the
other seven are!
Mocha Steel Metallic/Brownstone interior is simply fabulous. I had my 2011 SRX
delivered last August. First one on the block. Get favorable comments wherever
I go! My 24 year old grandson would give his eye tooth for one of that color.
I am 83! Go for it!

ickday1
02-14-11, 06:29 PM
Speaking of memory, I do not recall if I have posted the invoice for
my first new car. It was a two-tone green Chevrolet Deluxe.
You may be interested in the "sticker price"! Actually, this was my
second vehicle. In 1946, I purchased an U. S. Army surplus Jeep
for (drum roll, please) Four Hundred Dollars! It was like new, and
I sold it three years later for $1300.00 to some hunters for their
deer camp.

xrisus
02-14-11, 09:48 PM
I'm 34 and I have a 2011 Mocha steel metallic performance SRX, and I personally think the color is actually very progressive and modern. In in-direct sunlight it takes on a gun-metal grey or pewter color. In direct sunlight more of the brown tones come out. I love the color of the car and would not want any other color in my car. I think GM did a very good job with this color-and I think that you should get whatever you like...especially if it's mocha steel metallic! :yup:

PJ1520
02-14-11, 11:56 PM
..........on the other hand i HATE silver cars...

From Road and Track Magazine and Dupont:

According to DuPont’s annual “Color Popularity Report,” silver remains the most popular choice worldwide. However, more shocking colors are making inroads. “We’re seeing a rise in purple globally,” says Lockhart. “Orange has also been a color space that has really taken notice the last five years.”

or read this, released yesterday:

http://www.buyingadvice.com/auto-buying-tips/popular-car-colors/

Horse........don't quit your day job. :lildevil:

PJ

Jesda
02-14-11, 11:59 PM
Depends on the shade of brown. The right shade looks rich and luxurious like wood, leather, or expensive coffee. The wrong shade looks like baby feces.

TheCaptain
02-15-11, 06:28 AM
Well, to be truthful... my friends (and me included) all seem to think that any Gold or Brown coloured vehicle's are "old persons" colours, and essentially don't pay them a second glance.
Now having said that, the Mocha Steel Metallic colour is done well for a shade of Brown. And the SRX's lines accentuate it too. :D

TRMN8R1
02-15-11, 07:22 AM
WHAT?! I consider myself a "young" man, and i love the Mocha color. i also really like wood accents.

on the other hand i HATE silver cars...

Ouch! This is the FIRST silver car I've ever owned (at age 59), everything else being black or a variant of black! My friends were laying odds that I wouldn't come home with anything other than black he! he!. This color just looks dripping wet when clean. Ok, I'm done ranting! ;)

stevec5375
02-15-11, 08:33 AM
Well, to be truthful... my friends (and me included) all seem to think that any Gold or Brown coloured vehicle's are "old persons" colours, and essentially don't pay them a second glance.
Now having said that, the Mocha Steel Metallic colour is done well for a shade of Brown. And the SRX's lines accentuate it too. :D

Would someone please tell me what's wrong with old people's choices? You know, everyone's gonna be there sooner or later. :cookoo:

pastohio
02-15-11, 10:55 AM
Sometimes the color is also dictated by what part of the country you live in.....IF south and warm in the summer, darker colors do absorb the heat a little more...that is why you usually see a lot of white cars and silver....my $.02

OffThaHorseCEO
02-15-11, 06:50 PM
From Road and Track Magazine and Dupont:

According to DuPont’s annual “Color Popularity Report,” silver remains the most popular choice worldwide. However, more shocking colors are making inroads. “We’re seeing a rise in purple globally,” says Lockhart. “Orange has also been a color space that has really taken notice the last five years.”

or read this, released yesterday:

http://www.buyingadvice.com/auto-buying-tips/popular-car-colors/

Horse........don't quit your day job. :lildevil:

PJ

at the same time, alot of cars nowadays are appliances for the people who arent car enthusiasts. car enthusiasts are a minority now, doesnt it make sense then that toyota is currently at or near the top and silver is the most popular color?

TRMN8R1
02-15-11, 07:20 PM
Well there's a real stretch of logic for you.................................

OffThaHorseCEO
02-15-11, 07:52 PM
im not saying that everyone who picks silver is boring and not a car enthusiast, im saying that silver white and beige are very "safe" and "inconspicuous" colors.

but again, im not saying if you have any of those colors youre automatically not a car enthusiast. as a matter of fact, i had a cashmere (beige) deville and have a white allante and i consider myself an enthusiast.

stevec5375
02-15-11, 08:38 PM
Maybe we can put this to rest.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/silver-is-most-popular-car-color-again/

OffThaHorseCEO
02-15-11, 09:41 PM
How does that put anything to rest? All it does is say the same things the other links said,"people buy silver more" . I never said silver didnt sell well, i said it was a boring color for appliance cars. Even the article you linked says "(yawn) silver".

Whats so hard to grasp about what im saying?

The toyota camry outsells the camaro and the corvette...not because its a better or funner car but because its a normal everyday yawnmobile. People buy camrys, enthusiasts buy corvettes and camaros

Sent from my Dell Streak

TheCaptain
02-15-11, 11:42 PM
Would someone please tell me what's wrong with old people's choices? You know, everyone's gonna be there sooner or later. :cookoo:

Not usually much, but being young, one (usually) wants to stand out. Getting older, you traditionally want to attract less attention to yourself... or am i grasping thin air?
:D

Now, when i see the Mocha Steel Metallic colour, i think; "that's an old person. but a modern one (/with taste)" Rather then seeing a gold Impala /Silverado /Slade etc and just saying, "standard old person".
Also, when i see a "hip /standout-ish" colour, check the driver out; and its an "old person"... then i'm like, "yea, that person still has spunk!"

I dunno, fellas... maybe its just one of those preconception things?

z06bigbird
02-16-11, 12:16 AM
1958 Ford had that color. My parents had a two tone, brown top and bottom with white middle section. A real looker.

1972 Olds 4-4-2 looked fantastic in GM's original brown. Two neigbors had 72 Olds. One was Choc; other was light green. Same $$. Green looked like crap 2 years later. Brown looked fantastic for years. That is still a popular color on the 4-4-2.

When younger relative asks about a 4-4-2, tell him the internet is his friend. He can look it up.

Nancy116
02-16-11, 12:52 AM
Well, Mocha Steel is hardly a plain-Jane "brown". It's a pretty shade....sort of a cross between gray and brown. However, I wouldn't consider it a "sporty" color. I am a car "enthusiast" from childhood, and all my cars for 20 years have been black or white. To me, they look the cleanest and sportiest...I just gravitate to them. I'm definitely not a bright-color person and would never be able to stand a red vehicle, in particular.

Speaking of silver and whether it's an old person's color: My mother (in her 80's) had a silver Corolla that I bought at lease-end as a second car. A few years later, I was buying a BMW 3 coupe and I decided to deviate from my standard black or white. I got titanium silver. I couldn't stand it! As beautiful and sporty as the car was, I felt like I was driving my Mom's Corolla. I had some problems with the car, and BMW let me trade it for another vehicle. This time I got white, and I love it. The lease will be up in Sept. and I have my heart set on a jet-black SRX with 20" chrome wheels. BTW, I'm a female, age 61.

PJ1520
02-16-11, 12:54 PM
at the same time, alot of cars nowadays are appliances for the people who arent car enthusiasts. car enthusiasts are a minority now, doesnt it make sense then that toyota is currently at or near the top and silver is the most popular color?

If you check out the most popular automotive colors by class of vehicle (like "sports" and "upscale"), you might be surprised where silver stands. Not a recent trend either.

PJ

OffThaHorseCEO
02-16-11, 02:47 PM
OK, I give up! Silver is the best, funnest, most vibrant color ever.

all sports cars should be painted silver from, now on. Hell, ALL cars should be painted silver from now on.

PJ1520
02-16-11, 05:29 PM
"on the other hand i HATE silver cars...
silver to me is for someone who wants a car, and just about any car would do."

"at the same time, alot of cars nowadays are appliances for the people who arent car enthusiasts. car enthusiasts are a minority now, doesnt it make sense then that toyota is currently at or near the top and silver is the most popular color?"

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Horse.........my point is that you make a sweeping and inflammatory generalizations about those owners who have chosen silver. This thread and the OP started out with a son who expressed a distaste for his Dad's Mocha SRX color and promptly and neatly placed his father, in a disrespectful negative way, into an "old person" box.

Neither sits right with me. Neither was necessary.

Automotive color is a matter of personal preference. And it is such a strong preference that the second article I referenced noted that 40% of automobile purchasers surveyed responded that they would go as far as change brands rather than settle for a color they did not want. I subsequently pointed out (gently) that silver is not merely a safe, pedestrian color for those only interested in just the utilitarian four wheels and transportation (from same Dupont report, and backed up by other automotive reports). Silver is popular amongst car enthusiasts as well.

If you had stated "I hate silver cars" and left it at that, fine. I respect your choice and color preference. Whatever floats your boat.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How would it sit with you if I had made the exact same statements about the owners of white vehicles, your personal choice of a vehicle color (in your SRX)?

When you attack a person's preferences you attack the person, and their judgement.

PJ

stevec5375
02-16-11, 05:54 PM
Gentle Readers:

When you are feeling attacked by the content of someone's post or their words spoken directly to you, please consider that you own your feelings. No one else creates your feelings but you. You choose to become upset or stay calm. The phrase, "He made me so mad." is really just admitting that you allowed yourself to be controlled by someone else. In other words, you gave up all your power to them. To remain in the most powerful position, you must get control of your feelings and stop blaming your state of mind on others.

Now having said that, I will be the first to admit that I have allowed myself to fall into the trap and given up my power. However, if knowledge is power then being aware of what's really going on is half the battle won. I feel like I can at least quit blaming other people for my own state of mind.

Take the red pill.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-16-11, 06:26 PM
"on the other hand i HATE silver cars...
silver to me is for someone who wants a car, and just about any car would do."

"at the same time, alot of cars nowadays are appliances for the people who arent car enthusiasts. car enthusiasts are a minority now, doesnt it make sense then that toyota is currently at or near the top and silver is the most popular color?"

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Horse.........my point is that you make a sweeping and inflammatory generalizations about those owners who have chosen silver. This thread and the OP started out with a son who expressed a distaste for his Dad's Mocha SRX color and promptly and neatly placed his father, in a disrespectful negative way, into an "old person" box.

Neither sits right with me. Neither was necessary.

Automotive color is a matter of personal preference. And it is such a strong preference that the second article I referenced noted that 40% of automobile purchasers surveyed responded that they would go as far as change brands rather than settle for a color they did not want. I subsequently pointed out (gently) that silver is not merely a safe, pedestrian color for those only interested in just the utilitarian four wheels and transportation (from same Dupont report, and backed up by other automotive reports). Silver is popular amongst car enthusiasts as well.

If you had stated "I hate silver cars" and left it at that, fine. I respect your choice and color preference. Whatever floats your boat.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How would it sit with you if I had made the exact same statements about the owners of white vehicles, your personal choice of a vehicle color (in your SRX)?

When you attack a person's preferences you attack the person, and their judgement.

PJ

Thanks for leaving out the parts where i said that those statements dont necessarily apply to everyone who likes silver cars. Or the part where I ADMITTED to having had beige and white cars.

I still stand by my opinion that the sales numbers dont mean everybody LIKES silver.

How many people restore a vehicle and CHOOSE to paint it silver. How many times is silver CHOSEN as an aftermarket paintjob? Of course it isnt zero but when people who care enough to pay to repaint the entire car choose, i bet most dont choose silver.

Silver isnt a hate it or love it color, i dont hate it, i dont love it. if i was looking for a specific car, it would be last on my list but i wouldnt turn away from one if it was the only option at the right price.

My posts were definitely not meant to offend, if you WERE offended, please see steves post above

OffThaHorseCEO
02-16-11, 06:32 PM
also, if you made the statement that black vehicles and white vehicles (my srx is black, allante is white) are for boring people, old people, dorks and 40 year old virgins who dont know how to change their own oil, id say "maybe youre right but i dont fall into any of those categories, i must be the exception to the rule!"

mm9351
02-19-11, 09:27 AM
Well... having the mocha steel metallic color for my SRX, I just had to chime in! First, this is a new color for the 2011 models. I have seen it on other GM products, but they may go by a different name. My take? It shows off the car extremely well, expecially with the chrome accents. Someone mentioned earlier that the color tends to hide dirt, and yes that is true! At first, I had some reservations, thinking the color tended to be a bit feminine, i.e. "like make-up powder / rouge" ... can't quite explain why I thought this way. I'm over that now. On second thought, could that be the reason why the ladies like it so much? :hmm: I do love the color; it grows on you even more. You would not believe the comments I get at work, expecially on how this is a "stand-out" color.

GeeVee
02-20-11, 10:28 PM
Folks, please just buy the color you like. It`s simple and it`s self pleasing. That`s all that is important. I have owned cars of every color over the years and have enjoyed them all. Currently my color is Crystal Red and I love it. I`ve also read that red car buyers consider themselves racy and rebellious....not sure if that is true or not?

Cadillacyakyak
02-22-11, 06:03 PM
"Dad that's an old man's color. Get black or silver".

LISTEN he's right!:yup:

Cadillacyakyak
02-22-11, 06:09 PM
"Dad that's an old man's color. Get black or silver".

LISTEN he's right!:yup:

I'm 63 yo, cars and motorcycles should only come in two colors, red or black.

tc2010
02-22-11, 11:10 PM
Is brown an old man's color? Nope.....My wife loves it!
It is against some law (per wife) to disclose her age though....:tisk:

greyghost04
02-23-11, 10:28 AM
Well I thank everyone for their posts. IMHO, I like Mocha/Brownstone combo the best. I saw one on the lot and would have bought it on the spot, except it was Sunday. I see that people are equally divided on the color and subject. I will always be an earthtone guy, can't help it. All this being said, I ended up getting a Gray/Titanium Coupe. I love the color (as does my son) The lease deal was just incredible. When my wife's RDX lease runs out, I'm getting her a SRX. Probably Mocha Steel/Brownstone.