: V is overheating, and driving me insane

johncm
02-13-11, 05:39 PM
I bought a new radiator, was going to install, but mine is good so I figured hey it's probably something stupid, so I decided to change the thermostat, the old one was fine althought it wouldn't open until it was 200 degrees, but I think stock is 187?

Anyhow, I replaced the thermostat with a stock replacement, tried burping the radiator and it never went down? I'm used to just letting it run until the thermostat opens and then fill it up to get the air out. That never hapenned, temperature started getting around 212 and I said kill it.
The car will get up to around 234ish degrees.

One thing that I did notice that I thought might not be right is that the engine fans aren't coming on at all the whole time up to the 212 degrees.. Is that normal?
They work with the A/C on, but it doesn't seem to help it much. Still runs hot, whatever.
I think I've got myself into a disaster now.
Thought it was going to be a quick simple fix, looks like it's something more serious..
Water pump? Water pump isn't leaking, is it possible it's not moving water really?

All stock 04 V

:crying2:

CancerJCC
02-14-11, 03:22 PM
I bought a new radiator, was going to install, but mine is good so I figured hey it's probably something stupid, so I decided to change the thermostat, the old one was fine althought it wouldn't open until it was 200 degrees, but I think stock is 187?

Anyhow, I replaced the thermostat with a stock replacement, tried burping the radiator and it never went down? I'm used to just letting it run until the thermostat opens and then fill it up to get the air out. That never hapenned, temperature started getting around 212 and I said kill it.
The car will get up to around 234ish degrees.

One thing that I did notice that I thought might not be right is that the engine fans aren't coming on at all the whole time up to the 212 degrees.. Is that normal?
They work with the A/C on, but it doesn't seem to help it much. Still runs hot, whatever.
I think I've got myself into a disaster now.
Thought it was going to be a quick simple fix, looks like it's something more serious..
Water pump? Water pump isn't leaking, is it possible it's not moving water really?

All stock 04 V

:crying2:

Those temps do not sound that crazy for a stock car at all. Stock settings are:

Fan 1 On: 226*
Fan 1 Off: 219*

Fan 2 On: 235*
Fan 2 Off: 227*

Perhaps compare your fans to these on/off numbers and see if they are working at those temps. It sounds to me like you are just worrying yourself for no reason. Of course your best bet is to have a tuner lower the on/off temps. I have a stock thermostat and NEVER see over 197*.

Oh and as for air in the lines just run the car and keep some coolant with you. Check the overflow periodically or when the dummy light tells you its low.

johncm
02-14-11, 08:36 PM
I got my info from other posts seeing members post their running temps were hardly above 200 degrees ever. It sounds like in the 190s is where I want to be.
I ordered a water pump today so hopefully I can get it by Saturday so I can install this weekend.

Just to clear it up though, 234 is running hot right??
That's what it stays around when driving

Andringa
02-15-11, 11:21 AM
Look at some of the posts below, it sounds like there are a lot of people that see temps up to about 230F when driving. Which makes sense if the second fan doesn't turn on until 235F. You may just be wasting your time and money on replacing the water pump. The consensus in the threads below seems to be having a tuner set your fans so that they turn on earlier to lower running temps.

Some people also changed to a 160F thermostat, but 'C66 Racing' pointed out that thermostats control the coolants minimum operating temp, not it's maximum operating temp.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/10135-v-coolant-temp.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/136094-what-your-coolant-temp.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/140010-why-does-my-v-run-so.html

CancerJCC
02-15-11, 11:52 AM
I got my info from other posts seeing members post their running temps were hardly above 200 degrees ever. It sounds like in the 190s is where I want to be.
I ordered a water pump today so hopefully I can get it by Saturday so I can install this weekend.

Just to clear it up though, 234 is running hot right??
That's what it stays around when driving

IMHO I don't like 234* coolant but that is how Cadillac designed the V. Get a tuner to lower your fan on temp and you will be fine.

Look at some of the posts below, it sounds like there are a lot of people that see temps up to about 230F when driving. Which makes sense if the second fan doesn't turn on until 235F. You may just be wasting your time and money on replacing the water pump. The consensus in the threads below seems to be having a tuner set your fans so that they turn on earlier to lower running temps.

Some people also changed to a 160F thermostat, but 'C66 Racing' pointed out that thermostats control the coolants minimum operating temp, not it's maximum operating temp.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/10135-v-coolant-temp.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/136094-what-your-coolant-temp.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/140010-why-does-my-v-run-so.html

Word.

Twitch
02-15-11, 12:04 PM
I'm gonna jump in and say no, your not overheating. 230ish with a stock tune is normal.
When I changed my radiator, it ran over 230* (I'm tuned to run under 200) for quite a while. Then I heard a big burp, sounded kinda scary. I quickly shut it down and checked under the hood. Everything was fine and the fluid finally dropped. Topped it off and I was good to go.
Your car sounds normal to me, OP.

Tony

kevm14
02-15-11, 11:14 PM
If you see anything higher than about 205 while driving down the highway, that is too hot and if it were my car, I'd try to find out why. It should be real close to 195 just rolling down the highway. Stop and go, well, that's going to be up to the fan settings, as the others mentioned.

johncm
02-16-11, 12:51 AM
Well, after drivin it around today after being freaked out all weekend.
The hottest it got up to in traffic was 230.
It stayed around 212-222

That's in town, city driving

I'm not too freaked out anymore after reading the other posts. But definitely going to get hptuners/hypertcech to get it to run cooler.

Just for piece of mind

Thanks everyone for the responses

CancerJCC
02-16-11, 02:21 PM
But definitely going to get hptuners/hypertcech to get it to run cooler.

Just save the money and grab yourself a tune from a shop. Even if you are staying stock a tune can pick you up some MPG's and HP. Also it will get rid of the stupid CAGS and lower your fan settings. IMHO $300-400 is definitely worth paying an expert if you are staying stock. HPtuners isn't cheap.