: Scenes from a Nissan dealership.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-11, 10:19 AM
I think I've mentioned it before, but I work part time at a Nissan dealership, as a lot attendant/detailer. So I get to drive lots of neat cars from the used lot, and in here I'll make notes and observations about what I thought of them...

-2009 Civic Si sedan. This one sold yesterday, after being on our lot for only about a week or so. It had like 45k miles, and it was in pretty solid shape. Black/black cloth interior, 6 speed manual, etc. Anyways, I didn't think it was worth the hype some people give them. The gearing was incredibly steep. At 30 mph, you had better be in 3rd or 4th gear, otherwise the engine will just scream at you. The shifter wasn't especially smooth and the engine wasn't anything special until you climbed past 4500 or 5,000. Then it started pulling like a freight train and then it got pretty fun. But when is that feasible on a city street? How often can you use that without getting ticketed? I like my power down low, easily accessible and with a linear curve. Anyways, not my cup of tea, but I'm sure somebody will enjoy it.

-2003 Acura TL. I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one. It was a black example with the dark tan leather interior, about 105k miles. I always thought these were pretty staid looking cars and didn't really give them much thought beyond that. But after driving one a few times, I've really kinda come to like them. The interiors have spectacular fit and finish, great ergonomics (in typical Honda fashion) and the driver's seat was amazingly comfortable, with just the right amount of soft leather trim, deep cushioning and lateral support. Easily some of the best seating I've sat in, atleast in an asian car. From a little eBay research, it appears as though the Type S TL did not have the same seats as the base TL. The other thing that blew me away about this car was how fast it was! 225hp and 216 lb/ft isn't that much, but with the way it was geared and the way the engine sounded it really felt fast. I'd guess it's a little bit quicker than my GS, but it's hard to tell without lining them up. I also love how those Honda V6's sound....so smooth, melodic and voracious. They actually sound more like a good inline six than a V6.
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/pictures/EVOX/2003/Acura/2003.acura.tl.20159298-E.jpg

LnCkWJ8MITA&feature=related

ted tcb
02-13-11, 11:50 AM
Chad, I took home a 2002 TL for the weekend a few years ago ... on loan from a dealer.
Low mileage car, around 50k.
I found the previous owner's address in the glove box, and called him long distance.
I asked him when was the tranny replaced ... he was shocked, and asked me how I knew:)
Duh, its a TL, every tranny fails, often multiple times.
The original owner had the transmission fail at 45k.

I was impressed by the acceleration, seat comfort, and fuel economy.
I couldn't get past the generic Accord styling, cheap leather, incredibly poor Bose stereo,
and the plastic wood down the center console.
I pulled up beside my neighbour's 02 Accord EXL, and the cars really seemed similar inside.

I was tempted by the low mileage and almost new transmission, but the Acura forum experts say
replacement transmissions were only marginally improved, and will usually fail again.

Ended up going with an ES300 .... not as fast, but built to a much higher standard.

I like your choice of part time job ... makes a lot of sense for a fellow car enthusiast.

Outside of the Z cars, does Nissan have anything new that doesn't suck?

ejguillot
02-13-11, 12:09 PM
Wasn't the Type S TL of that year rated at 260HP? That would explain why it felt as fast as the GS.

Jesda
02-13-11, 12:42 PM
My roommate had to give up his otherwise awesome 2001 CL because the tranny was failing at 120k. Traded it for a pickup.

The type-S has a manual option.

Jesda
02-13-11, 12:44 PM
Outside of the Z cars, does Nissan have anything new that doesn't suck?

Some people like the new M56, but I find them to be blobby and weird.

The Titan used to be the best V8 truck deal on the market until Chrysler announced the Ram Tradesman with a Hemi for $4k less.

Stingroo
02-13-11, 12:59 PM
I find the new M cars to be hideous compared to the ones that came before them. I saw an M56 on the road yesterday during all my exploring and shopping and it was just weird to look at (so was the woman [?] driving it).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-11, 01:59 PM
I really like Infiniti's lineup, all of it. That QX56 really struck me like a runaway train when I first saw it, but I've grown to like it.

The new Maxima is pretty nice, along with the Titan and Armada, and I guess the Murano is a nice crossover, but the rest of Nissan's lineup is pretty blah. I don't like how all of their FWD cars and crossovers use the CVT transmissions either. That'll never grow on me.

This 3.2TL was not a Type S. I forgot about the 3.2CL. That would be a car worth looking at later down the line, if it wasn't for their inherit transmission issues. I really like the generation of TL that came directly after this one.....2004-07?

Jesda
02-13-11, 02:17 PM
That QX56 really struck me like a runaway train when I first saw it, but I've grown to like it.

brb, pruning facebook :p

thebigjimsho
02-13-11, 02:19 PM
Just looking at the picture of the front seat makes me feel cozy...

thebigjimsho
02-13-11, 02:21 PM
Some people like the new M56, but I find them to be blobby and weird.

The Titan used to be the best V8 truck deal on the market until Chrysler announced the Ram Tradesman with a Hemi for $4k less.
The Titan V8 was a badass truck. One of the nicest looking interiors when shod in black.

As for the M56, it looks off to me as well...unless you look at it from below the beltline. All the magazines would show a ton of pictures from down low or in grass.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-11, 02:25 PM

The interior is great looking, and it looks just as cozy/comfy as a '70s era Lincoln, but much newer and gadget laden. The exterior looks odd to say the least.

Oh, I should mention that the Nissan dealer I work at is GT-R certified, so we'll see a few of those in summer. The only staff members that can drive those is the salesperson, sales manager, general manager and the one and only GT-R certified technician. As for me, it's "look, but don't touch".

We also sell a lot of Kias as well. The '11 Optima has got to be the best car in it's class, especially considering you can get a fully loaded model for $23,995. It'll really kick ass once the turbo model is released soon.

Playdrv4me
02-13-11, 06:40 PM
The only way to do that generation of V6 Honda is with a stick-shift. So for that purpose, the CL Type S is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately the CL has the worst Bose stereo ever conceived, as there is NO subwoofer for it anywhere, and limited speakers.

I would agree with Ted that an ES300 is a far better alternative to a used TL.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-11, 07:40 PM
I'd probably just as rather go for the G35X, 330Xi or A4.

I just drove my cousin to the airport in my aunt's '04 Diamante LS. I was pleasantly surprised with how nicely it rode and how quiet it is behind the wheel. The 3.5L V6 makes good power and the 5 speed auto is geared nicely so you're never in valley of power. It didn't really do anything spectacular, but it wasn't terrible in any respect either.

orconn
02-13-11, 08:14 PM
^^^ The Diamante was a very decent car seemingly in all respects ... but was not a standout in any one area. I drove one at a dealership a couple of times, as I said az decent car but nothing said "buy me" either.

Jesda
02-13-11, 08:25 PM
A friend of a friend has a Diamante. Really nice car except for the heater core that keeps going bad and isnt cheap to fix. He now drives it without heat.

trickedcadillac91
02-13-11, 08:38 PM
The civic Si has always been a low torque high end speed demon in the import world. You dont feel the power of the engine at low RPMs due to lack of torque and under 4500 RPMs the engine is running in basicly economy mode. Once you hit 4500+ RPMs and vtec (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) engages the secondary cam used for a more aggressive timing and fuel curve. They are fun cars to drive and respond amazingly well to basic bolt on performance parts. They are compact sports cars (the Si version anyways) not meant to be luxery cars which is where the acura CL and TL come in as the Honda/Acura luxery sports sedans. Anyways just wanted to throw in my opinions here since I have been dealing with older model Hondas for the past 6 years.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-11, 08:44 PM
Right. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about with the Civic Si. Guess it's not my sort of car.

trickedcadillac91
02-13-11, 09:11 PM
Honda has gained such a huge following over the past 2 decades I believe they could design the worlds worst car and still get a tone of hype LOL. I enjoyed my old Hondas because they were easy for me to work on and maintain.

Stingroo
02-13-11, 10:00 PM
ton*

:)

Playdrv4me
02-13-11, 10:21 PM
Right. I just wanted to see what all the hype was about with the Civic Si. Guess it's not my sort of car.

I'm with you, I like cars with torque and power down low or at least in the mid-range for around town driving. I know Hondas (like the S2000) love to be wrung out to the limits to give you the experience, but that to me just isn't all that desirable.

orconn
02-14-11, 12:40 AM
Chad, glad to hear you are back in "car review" mode. I'll be interested reading more of your reviews of cars from a Nissan's dealers back lot!

ryannel2003
02-14-11, 12:45 AM
I miss detailing cars at my local Cadillac dealership. Nothing like driving a clean XLR-V down the road and people looking and thinking "wtf is this punk kid driving that car for". It's quite a priceless look.

Honda lost it for me with the current Accord, a car that has all the right moves and looks that I've warmed up to, but just has a "cheap" feeling that Accord's from 10 years ago didn't have. I drove a '10 Civic LX not too long ago and it wasn't anything special, and the quality just felt lower than my buddies '95 Civic EX. Hyundai/Kia is THE brand to be looking after, especially since the introduction of the new Sonata and Optima.

Playdrv4me
02-14-11, 12:53 AM
It would be really interesting to see what a Kia version of the Genesis would look like...

ryannel2003
02-14-11, 12:58 AM
Hopefully not like the Kia version of the old XG350 was:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/kia_amanti.jpg

Who was Kia trying to fool? That ain't no damn Jaguar.

Playdrv4me
02-14-11, 01:15 AM
Hopefully not like the Kia version of the old XG350 was:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/kia_amanti.jpg

Who was Kia trying to fool? That ain't no damn Jaguar.

I thought it was supposed to emulate a W210 E-Class. In any case, Kia seems to have completely abandoned these odd styling choices and gone head long into the Audi design themes that seem to work MUCH better now.

cadillac kevin
02-14-11, 01:31 AM
hondas are overrated. high end power does nothing for you in the real world, unless youre on a long ass stretch of straight road with no traffic and no cops.
my dad was sitting at a light tonite and some chick in a newer honda civic wanted to get in front of him. she wound up the little honda motor and kept having to shift. he floored his 4.3 safari and blew her doors off. seems pathetic to get beat by an old ratty minivan in your ricer.

ryannel2003
02-14-11, 11:39 AM
I thought it was supposed to emulate a W210 E-Class. In any case, Kia seems to have completely abandoned these odd styling choices and gone head long into the Audi design themes that seem to work MUCH better now.

It looks like it could be either, but from what I read I thought the car was trying to be a copy of the Jaguar S-Type. Thankfully, the new cars look quite a bit better.

Jesda
02-14-11, 12:28 PM
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/medium/MERCEDESBENZE55AMG-W210--medium-1078_2.jpg

Knockoffs for everybody! Yay korea!

hueterm
02-14-11, 01:38 PM
I really do like those Monoblocks...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-11, 07:05 PM
In any case, Kia seems to have completely abandoned these odd styling choices and gone head long into the Audi design themes that seem to work MUCH better now.

Well yeah, Kia stole the head of design from Audi to work for them. His first creation was the Optima.

Speaking of the W210, the dealer I work for has a '97 E430 and an '01 CLK320. Small world. I've driven the E430 once before, nice but not as nice or as over the top as my S320, but not as bad as everyone seems to make them sound.

orconn
02-14-11, 07:27 PM
I kew several people who had W210, long time Mercedes owners from the '60s, and all of them thought the late nineties E class Mercedes was the best one they had ever owned!

ga_etc
02-14-11, 08:55 PM
That 3.2 Honda V6 really is a good sounding motor. Especially when the VTEC kicks in at 5k. I don't think the TL Type-S got a manual option until '04 unfortunately. I like the '04-'07s, but I think the '01-'03 is even better looking.

77CDV
02-14-11, 11:45 PM

This from the man who's finding the new 300 appealing.

Jesda
02-15-11, 12:47 AM
This from the man who's finding the new 300 appealing.

Most of my friends have changed their phone numbers as a result of this declaration.

orconn
02-15-11, 01:04 AM
Jesda, you mean you still had some friends left after the Saab and Abba episodes!

ga_etc
02-15-11, 01:08 AM
I still own up to it, for some reason...

Jesda
02-15-11, 01:52 AM
I kew several people who had W210, long time Mercedes owners from the '60s, and all of them thought the late nineties E class Mercedes was the best one they had ever owned!

My friends say the exact opposite. *shrug*

I fixed the AC on my friend's mom's 2000 E-class V8 (stupid electronic issue). The transmission lost overdrive at 100k. The dashboard had some small cracks in it. Bear in mind, this was in very unsunny Spokane WA, where it was garaged.

It paled in comparison to the W124 they bought from my parents a few years earlier, and it drove like a pile of mush compared to its predecessor.

Playdrv4me
02-15-11, 02:55 AM
i kew several people who had w210, long time mercedes owners from the '60s, and all of them thought the late nineties e class mercedes was the best one they had ever owned!

This crack, I MUST SMOKE IT!

billc83
02-15-11, 12:30 PM
If you think the Koreans knock-off styling cues, wait till the Chinese cars start invading our shores...

Jesda
02-15-11, 02:50 PM
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wpid-byds8-2011-02-14-11-38.png

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wpid-byds84-2011-02-14-11-38.png

Btw, dashboard is "self-illuminating." NO MORE HOLDING A FLASHLIGHT!

http://jesda.com/2011/02/14/a-mercedes-sl-knockoff-to-go-with-your-koach-handbag/

billc83
02-15-11, 02:59 PM
Holy crap. Rear lamp comes standard!

Playdrv4me
02-15-11, 06:35 PM
The panorama glass roof built IN to a retractable hard-top is something I haven't seen before. There must be a safety reason or weight reason why this is not more common.

RightTurn
02-15-11, 08:35 PM
Leather REAR seats??? :wtf:

orconn
02-15-11, 08:48 PM
Leather REAR seats??? :wtf:

On this one they are copying the Germans!