: My 2006 CTS-V... Drive home from Denver!

mmayzak
02-13-11, 12:04 AM
WOW! I'll just start by saying there is a BIG difference between my 300 HP Impala SS, and this 400HP CST-V!

It's a stunning vehicle... just stunning... so may features that's it's almost overwhelming.

Wonderful car, I just need to learn the gears better (and clutch) - and be sure car is in reverse before I am backing up (or trying to).

No tickets... :), but I did scuff my car/clear bra on a curb :(... I may be calling my insurance on that.

I had to put new windshield wipers blades on it (they are diffent sizes??)...

All in all an incredible drive home from Denver to OKC! I am home and happy!!!

thebigjimsho
02-13-11, 01:32 AM
looks like you need to change the list of cadillacs you drive...

V-Guy
02-13-11, 09:44 AM
Congrats!!! My drive home with my new V (to me) was only about 25 miles - so I ended up just driving around most of the day - getting to know the car. Denver to OKC had to be fun! Then again, while 6th grear is cool - 1 though 5 are much better!! :lildevil:

mmayzak
02-13-11, 10:29 AM
I have never owned a car with sophisticated... it's got so many setting and buttons to play with... the navi is interesting, serves it's purpose I guess. The XM worked fine, sounds good... it's WHISPER QUIET inside while flying down the freeway at 75-80.
I figured out the thing about the two keys pretty quickly... that's cool.

Mileage wasn't too bad either I guess - all things considered. No problems passing people in that rocket!

Couple questions:

How do I know if I have the factory clutch? This beast has about a 20lb push or so?? Definately 'stiff'..
Oh, is 'wheel hop' a clunky rear end sound when the gear engages? I thought it would be chirping the tires or something??

V-Guy
02-13-11, 11:36 AM
No, the wheel hop occurs when you would ordinarily "chirp" the tires in other high-HP cars, but our cars' rear wheels actually "hop" in that situation, and the sensation is very noticible in the cabin. It's also accompanied by a "bump, bump bump" sound that is very distinct. It's also tearing the heck out of your diff when it occurs, so it's best to avoid - and that's why the Gforce anti-hop axles were one of my first mods after buying my car.

mmayzak
02-13-11, 11:59 AM
Ahh... well, yes, I have experienced some slight wheel hop and that 'bump bump bump' feeling...I thought something was rolling around in the trunk! Didn't happen a lot. That rear end in this car is relatively new (6K miles old).

I will say that shifter is 'gushy' feeling... I can see where that mod is popular! I also experienced the skip shift thing too, which was pretty interesting.

It's an awesome car, I can't wait to wash it and just watch it glow (Infra Red).

MM

V-Guy
02-13-11, 12:08 PM
Yep, I agree completely. The CAGS eliminator and KaTech short throw shifter were also very high on my mod list!!

thebigjimsho
02-13-11, 02:31 PM
Do yourself a favor and find out what generation diff that is.

rand49er
02-13-11, 03:17 PM
The BIG question is, did you bond?"

mmayzak
02-13-11, 03:23 PM
I will 'make the bond' this afternoon (setting myself up on the NAV and what not)... it's an awesome car, I am blessed to have it. The rear end was recently changed, like $6K miles ago, it's likely the newest one. No drone, no vibration.

BTW are the stock exhaust tips kinda oval shaped? Just curious if it's stock.

mstrjon32
02-13-11, 03:34 PM
My V is many things, but I wouldn't say it's whisper quiet at 80 mph. At least, there isn't much wind noise, but you can definitely hear the growl of the engine at that speed.

mmayzak
02-13-11, 03:42 PM
It's so quiet in there that when you close the sun roof it'll make your ears pop. Eerie... the volume on the stereo is on the lowest setting.