: Ford ad - Don't call it a comeback!

Jesda
02-12-11, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsyGOexjdQM

Unofficial video created by Motofinity. Not a real ad.

http://jesda.com/2011/02/13/ford-dont-call-it-a-comeback/

ga_etc
02-12-11, 10:36 PM
Ford should use that. Seriously.

Playdrv4me
02-12-11, 11:20 PM
Wow. Well done.

The Raven
02-13-11, 04:10 PM
But it IS a comeback. They haven't been "here" for years. GM started their comeback about six years ago, Ford started theirs last year. Both automakers are "back".

Unless you really consider the 1996 Ford Taurus, Contour, and ZX2 contenders. :nono:

Jesda
02-13-11, 04:14 PM
The ad isn't about a product rebirth. Its about corporate stability.

That's why its showing cars from the last century rather than new ones. If the main theme was Ford's product renaissance, you'd exclusively see Fusions, Tauruses, and Edges instead of Model Ts.

The Raven
02-13-11, 05:20 PM
The ad isn't about a product rebirth. Its about corporate stability.

That's why its showing cars from the last century rather than new ones. If the main theme was Ford's product renaissance, you'd exclusively see Fusions, Tauruses, and Edges instead of Model Ts.

Well in THAT sense, Ford is most definitely NOT BACK. They are in the same boat they have been for 10 years...just with better product and short term profit. One good year does not equal stability.

I think Ford could be just fine, as long as our current level of economic recovery holds or improves. But if we go right back into another energy-price-fueled recession, Ford is in BIG trouble. They are riding on thin ice right now and it is working because we are seeing improvement in the market. But it can not be said by ANY stretch that Ford is "back" to being stable for the long term. It's going to take years for that to become the case.

Jesda
02-13-11, 08:35 PM
Ford didn't file bankruptcy because its leaders had the foresight to know that the future wasn't made of an unlimited supply of unicorns, fairies, Taylor Swift albums, and sugar canes. Part of sound management is having a vision of the future and scanning for threats and changes in the operating environment.

This is the GM that you once knew: https://www.motorsliquidation.com/
The GM that exists now was created as an entirely new business entity. Now its "back"

Chrysler made the mistake of handing the keys over to Jurgen Schrempp. Now its "back"

So, in the most literal way possible, Ford never left. Its been far more stable than Chrysler and GM since the very beginning. Therefore, its appropriate for whomever created this video to denounce the sad sack attitudes at Chrysler and GM.

Playdrv4me
02-13-11, 10:47 PM
Ford lucked out in that it had a BUNCH of shit to sell in order to save it from the tentacles of bakruptcy and/or federal loans. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you face the prospect of losing your house, and you sell all your fru-fru high end Victorian era furniture down to the bare walls you will get to keep your house, but you won't have anywhere to sit.

However, regardless of whether it was luck or whatever you want to call it, in this strictest sense it is correct to consider Ford as never having left as it relates to the other two. At least SO FAR that is. With nothing left to mortgage off, Ford will have to rely solely on engineering prowess and the strength of its product from here on out. If they fail, it will find itself invariably worse off than the others.

The ad is accurate.

drewsdeville
02-13-11, 11:36 PM
Er...Right around the time of the big bailout, I thought I remember Ford needing billlions from the Deparment of Energy to fund some much needed R&D on it's "green" efforts in order to stay competitive. While it wasn't technically a bail out, it'd be interesting to see where they'd be now if that had never happened. They probably wouldn't be sitting in the same position they are now.

The Raven
02-13-11, 11:37 PM
Ford lucked out in that it had a BUNCH of shit to sell in order to save it from the tentacles of bakruptcy and/or federal loans. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you face the prospect of losing your house, and you sell all your fru-fru high end Victorian era furniture down to the bare walls you will get to keep your house, but you won't have anywhere to sit.

However, regardless of whether it was luck or whatever you want to call it, in this strictest sense it is correct to consider Ford as never having left as it relates to the other two. At least SO FAR that is. With nothing left to mortgage off, Ford will have to rely solely on engineering prowess and the strength of its product from here on out. If they fail, it will find itself invariably worse off than the others.

The ad is accurate.

I don't consider that "back". Nor do I consider it "never gone". Ford, just like GM, has been "gone" since the early 70's. With the exception of their trucks, they have been sleeping giants. Now they both have been awakened and we're seeing a product renaissance. That's great. But they have most definitely been GONE, and niether one is yet BACK.

hueterm
02-13-11, 11:42 PM
And in addition to selling all the furniture, they mortgaged the old homestead to the hilt while they could...

Playdrv4me
02-13-11, 11:48 PM
I don't consider that "back". Nor do I consider it "never gone". Ford, just like GM, has been "gone" since the early 70's. With the exception of their trucks, they have been sleeping giants. Now they both have been awakened and we're seeing a product renaissance. That's great. But they have most definitely been GONE, and niether one is yet BACK.

How you consider it as it relates to product doesn't really matter. The bottom line is (backed by sales numbers at that) that the American public considered the bankruptcy and loan acceptance by GM to be a failure. This, along with the self imposed division and separation of "old GM" and "NEW GM" creates a perception of collapse and re-emergence. Whether we believe the product backs this up doesn't matter, because Ford benefited from the mass exodus of customers who believed, for better or worse, that GM had erred in proceeding down the path that did. So for the audience who would see a commercial like the one above, it would hit all the right chords.

Me? I don't believe this little Ford charade can last. While GM has genuinely done a decent job recently at developing new platforms, powertrains, and creating new strategies for multiple brands, Ford is simply pulling the same old card it always has. Taking a couple of platforms, stretching them into a dozen different shapes and calling them "all new releases". When everything is shiny and new this distracts the public for a short time, but as these vehicles begin to age Ford is destined to go right back down the same path of enhanced badge engineering. I think if GM can continue the momentum it's been building recently, the companies will swap positions within a few years and GM will regain whatever perception it had previously lost... for the most part.

The Raven
02-13-11, 11:56 PM
How you consider it as it relates to product doesn't really matter. The bottom line is (backed by sales numbers at that) that the American public considered the bankruptcy and loan acceptance by GM to be a failure. This, along with the self imposed division and naming of "old GM" and "NEW GM" creates a perception of failure and re-emergence. Whether we believe the product backs this up doesn't matter, because Ford benefited from the mass exodus of customers who believed, for better or worse, that GM had erred in proceeding down the path that did.

Sure, but i'm not necessarily speaking from the point of view of the general public. I, like most of us here, know what REALLY happened, so I simply pointed out that if you consider GM to be GONE and BACK, then Ford must be viewed the same way.

The public has no idea what actually happened with Ford, just as they have no idea what actually happened with GM. They just know what the media fed them.

Jesda
02-14-11, 12:05 AM
Ford didn't go anywhere, not literally or figuratively or in the minds of the public. GM died and spawned a child. Chrysler was swallowed up.

I'm not sure what other meaning there is to take from the video.

Destroyer
02-14-11, 09:27 PM
IMO Ford builds the best American cars at this point in time. The torch has been passed from builder to builder over the years but right now I think Ford has the market nailed down. I have an E250 extended Ford van with 92k miles on it (26+ k put on by me). It is the most solid and reliable van I have EVER had and I have had full size vans from Chevy, GMC and Dodge. It is a vehicle I would trust to go anywhere at anytime. This is what great vehicles are all about to me. Everyone I know with a newer Ford has nothing but praise for them. Perhaps in a few years GM vehicles will savor similar clamor and be the giants they once were. :thumbsup:

The Raven
02-14-11, 11:35 PM
IMO Ford builds the best American cars at this point in time. The torch has been passed from builder to builder over the years but right now I think Ford has the market nailed down. I have an E250 extended Ford van with 92k miles on it (26+ k put on by me). It is the most solid and reliable van I have EVER had and I have had full size vans from Chevy, GMC and Dodge. It is a vehicle I would trust to go anywhere at anytime. This is what great vehicles are all about to me. Everyone I know with a newer Ford has nothing but praise for them. Perhaps in a few years GM vehicles will savor similar clamor and be the giants they once were. :thumbsup:

Ford and GM have always built great full-frame trucks and SUVs. The interiors sure felt cheap and looked plain, but nonetheless they were always GREAT trucks. I can't tell you how many examples of GM trucks with well over 200k miles there are in my family. My father-in-law's work truck (1997 silverado) is just short of the 400k mark, still running great. I'm sure there are plenty of Ford families out there with similiar stories. Trucks were never a problem for American automakers.

Playdrv4me
02-15-11, 04:14 AM
My 2002 Dodge Ram V6 work truck actually puts my far more luxurious 2000 Expedition to shame, and the Ram has been through the vehicle equivalent of a war-zone. The Mach audio system is garbage, the seat leather is paper thin, the door locks are getting weak, and now it just ate an alternator at 112k. This is a mint two owner truck to boot.

That said, the most GLARING difference between the two is actually the RIDE and handling! The Ram has near effortless steering with good communication and decent precision, and it soaks up bumps like a decent mid-sized car. Moreover, despite the V6, it never feels taxed around town unless you really put your foot into it. The Expedition by contrast always feels like a lumbering behemoth with terrible steering. You feel every bit of its weight around town, which makes it tiring to drive.

billc83
02-15-11, 11:05 AM
Regardless of how Ford avoided bankruptcy, the overall point is they did not declare it. It's all about spin and public perception.

The Raven
02-15-11, 12:20 PM
My 2002 Dodge Ram V6 work truck actually puts my far more luxurious 2000 Expedition to shame, and the Ram has been through the vehicle equivalent of a war-zone. The Mach audio system is garbage, the seat leather is paper thin, the door locks are getting weak, and now it just ate an alternator at 112k. This is a mint two owner truck to boot.

That said, the most GLARING difference between the two is actually the RIDE and handling! The Ram has near effortless steering with good communication and decent precision, and it soaks up bumps like a decent mid-sized car. Moreover, despite the V6, it never feels taxed around town unless you really put your foot into it. The Expedition by contrast always feels like a lumbering behemoth with terrible steering. You feel every bit of its weight around town, which makes it tiring to drive.

I have not had the same positive experiences with Dodge trucks in my life. From my own experiences, they have not been able to match Ford and GM in dependability.

Oh and personally, I think they look TERRIBLE. I have NEVER liked Dodge's styling. But that's all subjective.

billc83
02-15-11, 12:40 PM
Damn, where is my copy of Guts by Bob Lutz when I need it. The styling of the Dodge trucks (which really is an extension of the original 90s design aesthetic) was basically OK'd because study groups rated the styling with an average score of 5 - some people HATED the look but others LOVED it. Dodge trucks had a really low market share, and they decided to produce, figuring they had nothing to lose. Dodge's trucks styling upped their market share substantially.

The Raven
02-15-11, 01:59 PM
Damn, where is my copy of Guts by Bob Lutz when I need it. The styling of the Dodge trucks (which really is an extension of the original 90s design aesthetic) was basically OK'd because study groups rated the styling with an average score of 5 - some people HATED the look but others LOVED it. Dodge trucks had a really low market share, and they decided to produce, figuring they had nothing to lose. Dodge's trucks styling upped their market share substantially.

Yes because people want attention. They want a car that gets them attention, and it doesn't have to be good attention either...the success of the Jackass movies proves this theory.

billc83
02-15-11, 02:46 PM
By that logic, the Aztek should have sold like the original Mustang!

Jesda
02-15-11, 02:47 PM
I think "ugly to half the population" is how the 2006 Silverado was intended.

Sierra looks great.

Playdrv4me
02-15-11, 06:40 PM
I have not had the same positive experiences with Dodge trucks in my life. From my own experiences, they have not been able to match Ford and GM in dependability.

Oh and personally, I think they look TERRIBLE. I have NEVER liked Dodge's styling. But that's all subjective.

The Escalade is in for the same transmission problem for the SECOND time right now, so so far I'd have to say the old Dodge is batting 1000 against both. We'll see how long that lasts.

Playdrv4me
02-15-11, 06:49 PM
Regardless of how Ford avoided bankruptcy, the overall point is they did not declare it. It's all about spin and public perception.

Pretty much. Not really sure why anyone would take it any different way.