: Market Adjustment

rjm
02-12-11, 09:59 AM
I'd already decided my '08 was my last Cadillac, even so while the dealer was finishing up all the paperwork on my lease return yesterday, I walked around the showroom and noticed something SHOCKING.

The dealer had added an extra $1000 to the sticker price of ALL the cars and was calling it a Market Adjustment!

For What, I inquired! Never really did get a straight answer from anyone.

I could see adding extra $$$ to the CTS coupe since its new and hot, but the DTS and the Escalade?????

What with the DTS all but dead, and the Escalade at the end of its model cycle (not to mention the spike in gas prices), you would think that if anything the added sticker would reflect a substantial discount on both vehicles!

I lost one of the top rated Cadillac dealers in the country with the dealer cull during bankruptcy and its replaced with a Used Car Dealer.

I'd been literally sick all week at the thought of not having a Cadillac in my garage, I didn't realize just how attached to them I'd become. After all, a Cadillac has been my daily driver since I was first licensed. But yesterdays experience has made it somewhat easier.

Superjim
02-12-11, 10:07 AM
What part of the country are you in??
I haven't heard of anything like that in this area...
Ads in the paper and on TV every day, are talking about the big discounts you can get.

Texas Jim

Rusty058
02-12-11, 03:08 PM
Interesting,I'm getting some routine maintaince done next thursday @ Tremonte GMC/Cadillac here in Connecticut,I'll have to poke around the showroom and see what's up

billdaman
02-12-11, 04:59 PM
The dealer had added an extra $1000 to the sticker price of ALL the cars and was calling it a Market Adjustment!

For What, I inquired! Never really did get a straight answer from anyone.

I could see adding extra $$$ to the CTS coupe since its new and hot, but the DTS and the Escalade?????

OMG please! With the internet search capability you can get any vehicle you desire delivered to your door by dealers 50 or 5000 miles away. The market adjustment is just a ploy to make it seem like you are getting 25% off the price of the vehicle instead of 20 or 22% of the MSRP. Old trick, very old. Dearlers can technically charge anything that they want for a vehicle, the list price is GM's recommended pricing.

Can anyone really be concerned about such a thing as a dealers typed up add on pricing in 2011? LOLLLL

Maybe that dealer is hoping to snag a few senile customers, but everyone else with a brain will pay the real "market price" or less if they are crafty!! :bigroll:

rjm
02-12-11, 07:09 PM
OMG please! With the internet search capability you can get any vehicle you desire delivered to your door by dealers 50 or 5000 miles away. The market adjustment is just a ploy to make it seem like you are getting 25% off the price of the vehicle instead of 20 or 22% of the MSRP. Old trick, very old. Dearlers can technically charge anything that they want for a vehicle, the list price is GM's recommended pricing.

Can anyone really be concerned about such a thing as a dealers typed up add on pricing in 2011? LOLLLL

Maybe that dealer is hoping to snag a few senile customers, but everyone else with a brain will pay the real "market price" or less if they are crafty!! :bigroll:

EXACTLY!

I let out quite a loud chuckle when I noticed it. A salesman happened to be walking past and asked what was so funny, I just smiled broadly and said "nothing." But I did mention it to the finance guy processing my paperwork, told him I needed a good laugh and that provided it.

On a side note, stopped by Lexus and Mercedes today. Lexus is playing same game as Cadillac only in a more subtle way--Paint Protection, Scotchguard Carpets, Leather Conditioner/Protector, etc.

Mercedes straightforward--salesman discreetly handed me folded card with sticker price and their preliminary OTD price, and told me if that wasn't acceptable there was room for more negotiation based on purchase or lease.

rjm
02-12-11, 07:14 PM
What part of the country are you in??
I haven't heard of anything like that in this area...
Ads in the paper and on TV every day, are talking about the big discounts you can get.

Texas Jim

Same here. The 5pm-6:30pm time period is filled with car commercials. Its refreshing to see something besides a car commercial during the evening news! BUT its a rare occurrence these days. I was hoping the car wars might've slowed after Christmas, but NO WAY!

07DTS12801
02-12-11, 10:13 PM
They can put whatever they want on the windows.It doesn't mean they will get it.Any idiot who pays what they ask deserves to get ripped off! .*

c5 rv
02-13-11, 08:16 AM
I learned that when a dealership has these "market price" markups and overpriced protection packages on all their new cars, it's best to find a new dealer. I always found that these were indicators that their whole sales process was filled with high pressure and/or underhanded tactics.

On a slightly more positive note, the dealership must think the local economy is turning around and folks are becoming less price sensitive.

383 LT1 SS
02-14-11, 09:24 AM
[QUOTE=c5 rv;2494785]I learned that when a dealership has these "market price" markups and overpriced protection packages on all their new cars, it's best to find a new dealer. I always found that these were indicators that their whole sales process was filled with high pressure and/or underhanded tactics.

Bingo! We have a winner! Do your home work before you buy.

383 LT1 SS

Lev Blekher
02-24-11, 12:55 AM
rjm, why no more Cadillacs?

clusco
02-25-11, 12:31 PM
I've always wanted to ask this based on the quote below....What is a good number to offer below the sticker price on a new car? Is it too bold to offer $5,000 below? On a lease if Cadillac is wanting $5000 down on the new CTS Coupe and $599 a month. Is it crazy to offer them $5000 down and $499 a month or is that a set price?

They can put whatever they want on the windows.It doesn't mean they will get it.Any idiot who pays what they ask deserves to get ripped off! .*

Superjim
02-25-11, 12:57 PM
I've always wanted to ask this based on the quote below....What is a good number to offer below the sticker price on a new car? Is it too bold to offer $5,000 below? On a lease if Cadillac is wanting $5000 down on the new CTS Coupe and $599 a month. Is it crazy to offer them $5000 down and $499 a month or is that a set price?

None of the prices are set in stone.
But...It will be a lot harder to get them to negotiate on a new CTS Coupe than a DTS, because the Coupe is selling so well.

My rule of thumb is... if you are not embarrassed to make the low offer... you are offering way too much.

Texas Jim

RSD
03-05-11, 02:59 PM
My rule of thumb is... if you are not embarrassed to make the low offer... you are offering way too much.

Texas Jim

I like that one Tx Jim, I will use it on my next shopping spree to Lindsay's certified lot

Southern
03-05-11, 10:09 PM
The DTS Premium has been on sale for about 10K off list at Val Ward in Ft Myers for many months now.
But I just noticed that they are now only discounted 6 K.

This makes sense to me.

If I was a caddy dealer....my last DTS would not be discounted at all, I can promise you that.

rjm
03-06-11, 04:42 PM
rjm, why no more Cadillacs?

Simple...I want a full-size, fully-featured, V8 powered, LUXURY car. With the death of the DTS, Cadillac no longer has a car to meet my wants/needs.

The Escalade is nice, but its a TRUCK.

The only problem I'm experiencing is deciding between an MB S550 or a Lexus LS460 L, they're both such excellent cars I might just end up with one of each.

RSD
03-07-11, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking an Audi A8 may fit my future requirements. Sad to see the V8 Caddy go, an American symbol of quality and performance.

Playdrv4me
03-13-11, 03:47 AM
S550 trumps the LS460 on every possible front except for future reliability in my book. Also, the LS's build quality has fallen each subsequent generation since the last LS400 was produced. The LS430 was still pretty good, but the 460 offers nothing to interest me.

c5 rv
03-13-11, 09:26 AM
S550 trumps the LS460 on every possible front except for future reliability in my book. Also, the LS's build quality has fallen each subsequent generation since the last LS400 was produced. The LS430 was still pretty good, but the 460 offers nothing to interest me.

The LS430 added a good dose of luxury and technology (for its day) while retaining the reliability. I too, felt Toyota took a step backwards with the LS460. I could have chosen either but went with a LS430.

rjm
03-13-11, 10:54 AM

Reliability is the only thing holding me back on the S. I know several owners and while they've never experienced anything serious with their cars, its seems as though they're always experiencing something. I can't say that all my Cadillacs have been completely trouble free, but on the whole, I have the oil changed and the tires rotated a couple of times, then get a new one.

I also know many who've owned many LS and they say the same--their LS400s where the best of the bunch and its been a slow downward trajectory since. Personally I thought some of the interior materials were a little too cheap for a Toyota, let alone the Lexus flagship. Case in point, when I pressed the trunk button on the dash, the entire panel flexed its made of such cheap hollow plastic.

The other thing drawing me to the LS is the ride. With the air suspension set to comfort mode, I don't believe there's another car made that can touch its ride. The standard LS OTOH, I think my DTS rode better and it had MRC and I sometimes criticized its ride as to firm!

At this rate I'll probably end up with the Escalade Platinum after adamantly saying I wouldn't!

Playdrv4me
03-13-11, 04:01 PM
Can't fault you there, the Platinum Escalade is an incredible truck, and the cheap "nuance" leather I've got gives way to the REALLY nice Tahama leather (my guess is it's Cadillac equivalent to the Semi-Aniline option in the Lexus) in the Platinum. That leather interior and the interior trim is most of the reason to step up, as the powertrain and other features are fairly standard across the line.