: Does anyone recognise this 1950 Cadillac Series 61 Sedan and Dawg ?

Art Tidesco
02-12-11, 04:44 AM
I know it's a ridiculous long shot but working on a blog about a photograph of a Maserati 300 S (http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/2011/02/private-investigations-maserati-300s.html) at Lime Rock on May 9th 1959 yesterday I got real curious about this Series 61 Sedan and hound. I imagine it must have been a memorable combination for anyone who saw it but I wonder if anyone knows who the owner of said vehicle and hound was ?

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

Art Tidesco
Bristol, UK

http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/

Edited just realised its actually a Series 75 Caddy but all other details are correct, my bad.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-12-11, 10:11 AM
thats a huge car.

orconn
02-12-11, 11:04 AM
Where exactly is the Maserati? I see an MGA with an abreviated racing windshield and a Formula B or C Sports Racing either a Lotus or an Elva. Don't know the ownership of the Cadillac Series 75 limo or the German Shepherd.

Ok, the red car in the fore ground coukd be a Maserati, judging from the hood (bonnet) scoop and the color of red!

OffThaHorseCEO
02-12-11, 12:20 PM
if you click his link, itll give you the full version of the pic. Its a full shot of the red car complete with the maserati logo in the grille

orconn
02-12-11, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip! Nice shot of the Maser. I also was need to correct my identification of the black roadster in the first picture. It is not an MGA but rather a AC Ace (British) the car that eventually became the Shelby Cobra (with the addition of Ford mechanicals).

I recognized the Lotus sports racing car because my old friend Frank Monise used to race one like it in the early sixties. Frank had a long career as a SCCA racer and if memory serves me correctly, Frank beat Jim Clark while driving his Lotus 11 (?) at Laguna Seca!

Art Tidesco
02-12-11, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the tip! Nice shot of the Maser. I also was need to correct my identification of the black roadster in the first picture. It is not an MGA but rather a AC Ace (British) the car that eventually became the Shelby Cobra (with the addition of Ford mechanicals).

I recognized the Lotus sports racing car because my old friend Frank Monise used to race one like it in the early sixties. Frank had a long career as a SCCA racer and if memory serves me correctly, Frank beat Jim Clark while driving his Lotus 11 (?) at Laguna Seca!

my friends Dad Ed Arnaudin is responsible for the Maserati photo, and by definition the detail shown above.

That is a neat story about your buddy Frank orconn here is a blog I did on the Lotus XI (http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/2011/02/colins-eleven-lotus-xi.html)(or Eleven if you prefer) earlier in the week, using another of Ed's photo's from Thompson CT in 1958.

orconn
02-12-11, 02:23 PM
Back in the late sixties and early seventies I used to go to a lot of the SCCA races in Southern California with Frank Monise and his son Frankie Monise (Formula B). I used to take a lot of pictures of the cars and races. Frank's shop in Pasadena, California was a hangout for several of the top sports car and other car drivers of that period. Frank, who started racing Jaguars in the early fifties, was a top SCCA driver, helped win the Championship for BRE Racings Datsun 2000s in the mid sixties and later won several championships with his Datsun powered B sports racing LOLA. On the Saturday nights of race weekends we would have dinner with many of the top drivers of the day. This is how I came to know Richie Ginther, Phil Hill, Tony September, Parnelli Jones and many other drivers of that time. Somewhere I still have pictures from those days, I will have to search when I get a chance.

Those were great days for sport car racing, I particularly remember the thundering Chevy powered "A' sports racing "Can Am" cars. Those cars were monsters and to see them run in competition at Willow Raceway or Riverside was a real experience! I will also never forget seeing the Ferrari 250 GT Berlinettas (forerunners to the fabulous Ferrari GTOs) run at the SCCA races at the old airport track at Cumberland, Maryland and also at the first races at Mid America in Ohio.

elphil
02-12-11, 03:02 PM
orconn; I was there, as a spectator, starting with Torrey Pines 1954. Later. Paramount Ranch, Pomona Fair Grounds, Bakersfield on the airport, and of course, Riverside and Palm Springs.

The AC Ace, 16, looks like the engine is out of it from how high the fender looks above the wheel.

Art Tidesco
02-12-11, 04:27 PM
orconn; I was there, as a spectator, starting with Torrey Pines 1954. Later. Paramount Ranch, Pomona Fair Grounds, Bakersfield on the airport, and of course, Riverside and Palm Springs.

The AC Ace, 16, looks like the engine is out of it from how high the fender looks above the wheel.

Coincidentally I did a blog on the AC Ace (http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/2010/10/much-in-common-with-nascar-cot-ac-ace.html) late last year I'd say the front suspension looks about right when compared to the one in my October 25th blog elphil.

Thanks in anticipation of your looking orconn, remember the photo of the Series 75 seen here with the hound was taken at Lime Rock so it might belong to someone who only raced on the East Coast, but it would be thrilling to find it in a West Coast paddock ! :-)

orconn
02-12-11, 04:43 PM
Doubt that Series Seventy-Five will show up on the West Coast. Frank et al. used a Jag Mark IX as his tow car! A lot of the racers used older Cadillacs for tow cars. I used my dad's '56 Fleetwood to tow my sailboat to various competitions on the East Coast. The Cad V-8 had better low end torque which made slow maneuvering of the trailer easier, especially when backing down and pulling up the launching ramp.

Elphil sounds as though you got to see some great old machines run. Ever see "Old Yeller" Buckovitz's old Buick powered special? Those old Cad Allards must have been cool. I never saw a Cad Allard run in the States but did see one run in Brazil in the 1950's. If you were going to all those early racing venues you must have seen several of the racing legends in action!

elphil
02-12-11, 05:13 PM
Orconn, lived in San Diego and a friend and I attended sports car races from San Diego to Laguna Seca from about 1954 to the mid 60's. Saw both "Old Yellers" run. Another one I liked was Ken Mills in his MG special, "the Flying Shingle". Also saw Dan Gurney, Carroll Shelby and Phil Hill race in their early years. Two months ago I took a two day driving course at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving and got to meet the man himself. I told him I saw him race Corvettes back in the day. It was a thrill.