: Squirrels gnawing car wiring, any suggestions?

orconn
02-11-11, 07:30 PM
Apparently some neighbors are reporting that the neighborhood squirrel population has developed a penchant for gnawing on car's wiring. This first came to my attention when a friend of my wife called saying that her neighbor was cutting down all the trees on her property because the squirrels had attacked and disabled her car in the last few months. I thought the cutting down of all the r=trees was a bit drastic, seeing as we all live in the woods and have many mature (squirrel inhabited) trees on our properties. A few days later my wife said that is phenomenon was unique to this one property, but apparently was affecting a few other neighbors cars.

Nobody else is planning to cut their trees, but I was wondering if any one on the forums has had this problem ..... and had found a solution short of denuding or burning the neighborhood.

To date our cars have not been affected by these squirrel vandals!

EChas3
02-11-11, 08:36 PM
A garage is your best bet.

I'd try repellents next. A dog would keep them away. (I do mean chemical/biological repellents.)

If that failed, I'd add traps before cutting down trees.

Ranger
02-11-11, 09:22 PM
Cutting down the tree will just move them to your property. Several neighbors with pellet guns, a good aim and a concerted effort will cut down the population. :gun2:

creeker
02-11-11, 09:52 PM
Better than dogs, cats actually kill them, our cat does.

EChas3
02-11-11, 09:58 PM
My wife is too soft-hearted to let me plink-away at them. They can escape dogs but do stay away.

EcSTSatic
02-11-11, 10:03 PM
Maybe they are hungry. We feed the squirrels on our property corn. They eat from my hand. They never bother anything else but they do bark at the cats.

Submariner409
02-12-11, 11:00 AM
We're in the same boat here on Kent Island. The squirrel population has quadrupled since summer. I use a little Browning lever action .22 with a 4X wide angle scope and .22 Shorts to keep 'em controlled. A good Beeman air rifle, .22 cal., will do the same thing. Gut 'em, skin' em, a bit of seasoning (Penzey's prime rib rub) and a Weber. About the same taste as rabbit. Makes for a nice dinner.

Aron9000
02-13-11, 01:51 AM
We're in the same boat here on Kent Island. The squirrel population has quadrupled since summer. I use a little Browning lever action .22 with a 4X wide angle scope and .22 Shorts to keep 'em controlled. A good Beeman air rifle, .22 cal., will do the same thing. Gut 'em, skin' em, a bit of seasoning (Penzey's prime rib rub) and a Weber. About the same taste as rabbit. Makes for a nice dinner.

My grandma would always talk about eating their brains. Crack open the skull, fry them up in some lard.:drool:

ben.gators
02-13-11, 02:55 AM
When I was back in Florida squirrels were everywhere. I used to live in a huge complex with thousands of trees and I parked my car exactly under the trees, since there was no covered parking. Squirrels were living on the trees and there was no harm to my Buick Regal

ben.gators
02-13-11, 02:58 AM

Oh boy, I am totally unable to eat the meat of an animal that I have seen it alive before.... Even beyond it, I have trouble in touching raw meat, forget skinning...

Submariner409
02-13-11, 09:39 AM
Oh boy, I am totally unable to eat the meat of an animal that I have seen it alive before.... Even beyond it, I have trouble in touching raw meat, forget skinning...

Hah !!! You would NOT like to be with us while butchering a 120# deer............

dkozloski
02-13-11, 04:13 PM
Hah !!! You would NOT like to be with us while butchering a 120# deer............

My boys relatives are Point Hope whalers. What would he think about 130 tons of Bowhead whale to butcher.

orconn
02-13-11, 11:24 PM
Projectiles are definitely out in this neighborhood. I never had nay luck with red pepper "squirrel repellent" in Great Falls ......... the squirrels seemed to think it was gourmat bird seed! I was about to try DC current wired squirrel feeders, but we moved to Richmond and no longer had a squirrel problem. At the next meeting I think I will suggest getting biggger, hungrier cats!

jacobsillman
02-15-11, 11:32 AM
You can booby trap you're entire front lawn.

Ranger
02-15-11, 02:13 PM
Ooo yeah, turn it into a mini mine field.

EcSTSatic
02-15-11, 04:06 PM
uh oh...who saw Caddy Shack??