: Backup Camera Quality

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 06:00 PM
I just turned in my GMC Acadia and picked up an SRX. I have noticed that the rear view camera (with Nav screen) is basically black and white and grainy. It looks like the night vision view on the Acadia as opposed to a nice, crisp color rendering that I used to get in daytime.

What does your view look like in daytime? Is it clear and colorful or b/w and grainy?

Marc NY
02-11-11, 06:14 PM
I had an 2008 Buick Enclave with a very similar "colorful" rear view camera. My SRX is somewhat grainier and appears slightly washed out when it sees brighter areas (snow and or wet rainy areas) or bright lights. I believe the SRX's rear camera settings must be tweaked or set to a slightly higher "sensitivity" setting by GM's Navagation vendor.

I was going to ask the dealer to tweak down the sensitivity to help reduce the grain effect and to get better color saturation and have a better and more accurate exposure.

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 06:18 PM
Thanks. It sounds like we have the exact same issue and I am glad to know its not just not me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't just use the camera and settings from the Enclave/Acadia. It was picture perfect.

Marc NY
02-11-11, 06:23 PM
Thanks. It sounds like we have the exact same issue and I am glad to know its not just not me. I can't imagine why they wouldn't just use the camera and settings from the Enclave/Acadia. It was picture perfect.I was told that GM's uses 3 different Navigation Vendors and the one that was used on the Enclave & Acadia was a different vendor than the one on our SRX.

That might account for the difference in the camera's sensitivity settings. You might have also noticed that the rear camera has a slightly wider angle of view than our old GM vehicles.

stevec5375
02-11-11, 06:25 PM
I was told that GM's uses 3 different Navigation Vendors and the one that was used on the Enclave & Acadia was a different vendor than the one on our SRX.

That might account for the difference in the camera's sensitivity settings.

So why would a CADILLAC get the short end of the stick? Isn't that the flagship brand of GM?

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 06:27 PM
I was told that GM's uses 3 different Navigation Vendors and the one that was used on the Enclave & Acadia was a different vendor than the one on our SRX.

You might have also noticed that the rear camera has a slightly wider angle of view than our old GM vehicles.

So stupid not to do a better job of quality control on something like that. Yes, I noticed the wider angle.

Marc NY
02-11-11, 06:30 PM
So why would a CADILLAC get the short end of the stick? Isn't that the flagship brand of GM?Steve don't get so bent out of shape! :nono:

FYI: GM's Navigation on the SRX Nav. screen is much better looking and has more features on it i.e. 3D buildings - than the one I had on the 08 Enclave! The camera's setting is what needs to be tweaked!

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 06:34 PM
FYI: GM's Navigation on the SRX Nav. screen is much better looking and has more features on it i.e. 3D buildings - than the one I had on the 08 Enclave! The camera's setting is what needs to be tweaked!

Fair enough. Hopefully my dealer can work on this.

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 06:39 PM

Fair enough. Hopefully my dealer can work on this.

stevec5375
02-11-11, 06:39 PM
Steve don't get so bent out of shape! :nono:

Just give it a rest. I'm not bent out of shape. When did you become a mind reader?

Marc NY
02-11-11, 06:55 PM
Just give it a rest. I'm not bent out of shape. When did you become a mind reader?Steve one doesn't have to be a mind reader... I have witnessed your negativity towards GM/ SRX etc over the last few months ... you seem to want to see the glass as always half empty and not half full. You have blasted GM many times before and you even told me that I miss read your comments so I said OK to your reply. But here again you take cheap shots at GM whenever you can. No car or car company needs someone who constantly gives negative feedback. Using "constructive" criticism works much better than a lot of negative jabs. Yes, I work for GM for 40 years now and I know how hard they work to make a world class car! If you read my replies I do criticize GM for things I believe to be bad or wrong and stand up for things that I believe are right or good too.

FYI: I am an site Administrator on another website so believe me I can spot good from bad dialog when I see it. Certainly you can critiize... but please do so without being so brash with your negative comments ... :)

Marc NY
02-12-11, 11:03 AM
Steve you have made some very valid points in your PM to me. I will try to reply back to you when I have some extra time to write about your thoughts and comments. Going away tomorrow for a few days for some meetings so I hope to give you my thoughts on your comments during my time away that is if I can get on a computer to write.

Marc

sube5186
02-12-11, 11:25 AM
I've noticed this from day one. The image is washed out, grainy, not sharply focused with poor color saturation. This is even more evident when compared to back-up cameras on other cars. It's almost like no one bothered to test the system before production. I complained about this to the dealer and asked if there was a way to calibrate the camera or tweak the settings on the LCD. I was told "no". If it turns out that there is, somebody please let me know.

I too believe in constructive criticism. I call them as I see them. I point out the things that GM gets right, but I'm certainly not going to hold back on the things they get wrong. I tell it like it is, be it positive or negative.

Sube

2010sled
02-12-11, 01:43 PM
my cameraa worrks prefecctt

dkmiller3356
02-12-11, 07:57 PM
my cameraa worrks prefecctt

I wonder why some of ud have good cameras and others do not. Is there a way to get in touch with GM about this?

sube5186
02-12-11, 08:43 PM
This is not a "functionality" issue. It's a "quality" issue. The camera works fine. If you compare it to any other SRX it looks normal, because there's no barometer for optical quality. The poor quality only becomes apparent when compared to the back-up cameras of other makes/models. The image of the back-up camera on my wife's car is bright, clear, high contrast with bold colors. The difference is like night and day. If this is the first car you've owned with a back-up camera, you wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like. Compare your SRX to other vehicles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Sube

dkmiller3356
02-12-11, 08:50 PM
You are correct, which is why I do not think that tweaking settings is the answer. I'm going to try to get a new camera.

sube5186
02-12-11, 08:56 PM
I'm going to try to get a new camera.

Compare yours with another SRX on the lot. If it's the same (and it will be), they're not going to replace the camera, because they'll consider it within spec.

Sube

dkmiller3356
02-12-11, 09:07 PM
Compare yours with another SRX on the lot. If it's the same (and it will be), they're not going to replace the camera, because they'll consider it within specs.

Sube

Looks like they're gonna have a bit of a fight on their hands then...

GeeVee
02-12-11, 09:20 PM
I have to agree that the camera system leaves a lot to be desired. I use to run heavy duty equipment with backup cameras and damn they were good.

KevinOpp
02-12-11, 09:20 PM
this is the first backup camera i've ever had so i cannot compare it. i've always been satisfied, but from what y'all are describing as compared to what is currently possible, it sounds like they certainly could do a better job. as a photographer, i can understand what it is you're describing in better quality cameras.

the thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck.

for a car that squirts washer fluid at the damn headlights once every 3rd window wash, and there is a water source to the rear of the car, why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera??? i can't STAND it when i'm pulling back out of a spot and the camera image is unusable. i love this SRX, but the pillars and blind spots on this car are pretty huge, and i use the heck out of my backup camera and mirrors.

i've never heartd anyone mention this before. am i the only one that is driven nuts about this? what to other cars (SUV's in particular, which get dirtier back ends) do? any of them squirt?

dkmiller3356
02-12-11, 09:28 PM
the thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck.

why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera??? i can't STAND it when i'm pulling back out of a spot and the camera image is unusable.

Yeah, it's typical. Not a bad idea you have.

sube5186
02-13-11, 09:37 AM
The thing that drives me nuts about it is the fact that for the last 6 months, i've had to lick my finger and wipe down the camera lens once or thrice during an average day of driving. it gets filthy with snow/road salt/dreck. For a car that squirts washer fluid at the damn headlights once every 3rd window wash, and there is a water source to the rear of the car, why on earth did they not aim a little nozzle at the camera???

This sounds good in theory. However, after the wash you'd be left with water spots on the lens that would render the image just as bad as with a dirty lens. I just take a wet sponge, wring it out and then wipe the lens. Cleans the dirt and won't scratch the lens. As long as there's no rain, snow, slush or road salt, the lens tends to stay clean. Regular road dust doesn't seem to impede vision, at least not noticeably.

Sube

SRXCool
02-13-11, 12:22 PM
Why couldn't they have designed the camera with an appropriate field of view and sensitivity settings to be mounted inside the car, looking out the back window, within the area cleaned by the wiper, perhaps on the uppermost portion of the window, in the molding around the inside rear window, ceiling area, looking out just under the center mounted rear stop lamp. Inside, it would be protected, and the rear window washing system would keep the view clear.

2010sled
02-13-11, 12:44 PM
Go to your dealer and tell camera sucks

KevinOpp
02-13-11, 03:11 PM
As long as there's no rain, snow, slush or road salt, the lens tends to stay clean.
Sube

ha! welcome to upstate NY for the past 6 months---where i live we have had snow on the ground continuously since October; not a moment of let up.

i do like the idea of putting the lens inside the rear window----that would solve quite a few problems. and start several more...........;-)

Ponyman
02-14-11, 08:07 AM
Steve NEVER misses a chance to bash GM, and tout the foreign models.

Ponyman
02-14-11, 08:10 AM
This is the first vehicle we have owned with a backup camera, but it seems to be very clear and have good color. Really like the wide angle that has been mentioned. My wife likes it so much that any time I mention another vehicle, she asked if it has a backup camera. Loks like the Avalanche now has one, so when I replace my Avalanche next year that will be one feature I look for. My present Avalanche has the backup sensors, but the camera is so much nicer, and works really well with teh parking sensors.

cam30era
02-14-11, 10:17 AM
This is not a "functionality" issue. It's a "quality" issue. The camera works fine. If you compare it to any other SRX it looks normal, because there's no barometer for optical quality. The poor quality only becomes apparent when compared to the back-up cameras of other makes/models. The image of the back-up camera on my wife's car is bright, clear, high contrast with bold colors. The difference is like night and day. If this is the first car you've owned with a back-up camera, you wouldn't know what it's supposed to look like. Compare your SRX to other vehicles and you will see what I'm talking about.

Sube

I fully agree with Sube's assessment above. I love my SRX. But the backup camera is not competitive. I came from a '09 Lincoln MKS. Backup camera had better color, was far clearer (day and night) had better resolution and far less grainenous. But the SRX does win, hands down, on every other aspect.

mrl859
02-14-11, 12:18 PM
I wonder why some of ud have good cameras and others do not. Is there a way to get in touch with GM about this?We may all have the same image, but some of us are disatisfied with it and others are ok with it?

cam30era
02-14-11, 12:26 PM
We may all have the same image, but some of us are disatisfied with it and others are ok with it?

I believe that the backup camera performance is pretty consistent, from vehicle to vehicle. I suspect that the differences are related to owner's expectations.

dkmiller3356
02-14-11, 06:32 PM
I called my dealer, he said he'd call me back. I am going to vigorously pursue this as I feel it is both poor quality and a possible safety issue. I will keep you informed.

By the way - this is my second GM car (Acadia before my SRX) and I love it so I'm not some crazy GM basher.

mrl859
02-14-11, 08:02 PM
I believe that the backup camera performance is pretty consistent, from vehicle to vehicle. I suspect that the differences are related to owner's expectations.
^^^Yeah. What he said.

jcarlilesiu
02-15-11, 12:35 PM
My SRX is parked on the street in chicago every day. I parallel park it when ever coming or going. I must say, the camera is a godsend.

I hear everybodies complaint about the grainy and washed out nature, but to be honest... does it matter? It isn't like we are watching TV programs on it. It is there to serve the purpose of aiding parking and manuvering in tight spaces. For that purpose, it performs perfectly.

I suppose I see it as a tool which works perfectly for its intended purpose. The color of the trees and flowers around the back bumper don't really affect ones ability to manuver. Right?

Just my .02

dkmiller3356
02-15-11, 01:11 PM
It's a fair position but once you've driven a vehicle with a crisper image its hard to go back. There are also some reasonable safety concerns with such a poor pixelated image.

Ponyman
02-15-11, 02:21 PM
Everyone needs to get a life. I agree with J, it performs it's function very well. Can you really say that the video image is so bad that you couldn't tell that there is a car, kid on a tricycle, or a person walking behind you? Just because you bought what you percieve to be a very expensice car, and it really isn't, ther is no need to nitpick it to death. I wish it got 100 mpg, and rode on a could of air, but get real. It's a car and compromises have to be made in it's manufacture or else it would cost 200 hundred thousand dollars.

jcarlilesiu
02-15-11, 02:34 PM
It's a fair position but once you've driven a vehicle with a crisper image its hard to go back. There are also some reasonable safety concerns with such a poor pixelated image.

Well if its pixelated, then that is a whole different issue. Mine is pretty much black and white, but crisp and clear (so long as the lens is fairly clean).

It washes out from bright lights once in awhile, and I can't tell what color things are, but I have absolutely no problem telling what is what in the picture.

dkmiller3356
02-15-11, 02:36 PM
Everyone needs to get a life. I agree with J, it performs it's function very well. Can you really say that the video image is so bad that you couldn't tell that there is a car, kid on a tricycle, or a person walking behind you? Just because you bought what you percieve to be a very expensice car, and it really isn't, ther is no need to nitpick it to death. I wish it got 100 mpg, and rode on a could of air, but get real. It's a car and compromises have to be made in it's manufacture or else it would cost 200 hundred thousand dollars.

I need to get a life??? That's a pretty immature response. I raise one issue of concern to get feedback from others and you respond like I shot your horse. The purpose of a board like this is to discuss. I raised an issue. That is all. It is not "nit picking." If you are so emotionally tied to your car that you cannot stomach healthy discussion perhaps it is you who needs to get a life.

Smokin' SRX
02-15-11, 04:01 PM
Steve, you're OK with me, so I'm only gonna say this once........you do use a lot of "pepper" in your posts. And that's your priv, but don't deny it now!! LOL (So I know you can take it too!)

I'm a Security Contractor and we do lotsa cameras! I'm gonna do a search and report on our cams. ALL cams have "gain"/ saturation/focus/backlight adjustments. I have to see if they are in the Nav deck or maybe closer to the cam. Will report........

SS

Ponyman
02-15-11, 05:32 PM
The get a life comment was directed at everyone in general, not you specifically dk. If you took it too personally I apologize, but it must have hit close to home. I am not that in love with my vehicle. It is a car and it does most of the things that it is supposed to very well. My problem comes with the vast number of complainers on this board that think their car should do things one way, when it is doing what it was designed to do. Those who have REAL mechanical issues with their vehicles have my sympathy and hopes for a speedy resolution. Did you test drive the vehicle for more than five minutes before you bought it? I always insist on long, extended, and if possible overnight test drives. If something escapes me during this time, and the car is performing as designed, then it is MY fault if I don't like it. As for the immature remark, I think that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Smokin' SRX
02-15-11, 08:57 PM
WOW.....so much "pepper" today here. We're all decent folks here, so I guess we don't realize we're coming on a bit heavy . Sorry Steve if my above stepped on your toes. Unintended but honest.

Gonna come back tomorrow. Goodnite.

SS

dkmiller3356
02-15-11, 09:09 PM
The get a life comment was directed at everyone in general, not you specifically dk. If you took it too personally I apologize, but it must have hit close to home. I am not that in love with my vehicle. It is a car and it does most of the things that it is supposed to very well. My problem comes with the vast number of complainers on this board that think their car should do things one way, when it is doing what it was designed to do. Those who have REAL mechanical issues with their vehicles have my sympathy and hopes for a speedy resolution. Did you test drive the vehicle for more than five minutes before you bought it? I always insist on long, extended, and if possible overnight test drives. If something escapes me during this time, and the car is performing as designed, then it is MY fault if I don't like it. As for the immature remark, I think that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

1. I took it personally because I started the thread, thus the comment was, IMO, directed at me. By the way, there seemed to be a lot of interest in the discussion.

2. Yes, my test drive was somewhat cursory and it wouldn't have mattered. I would have gotten the care regardless - I do love it.

3. I still think the "get a life" comment was unwarranted but I do apologize for overreacting to it. Bad day at work that morning... sorry.

4. I still think the camera issue should be addressed by GM. I spoke to my dealer and he pretty much told me "that's the way it is." If there is enough attention raised by owners they will do something. If we say nothing they'll do nothing. Manufacturers regularly perform recalls on items like this.

Ponyman
02-15-11, 09:22 PM
Ok, now maybe we can agree on something. If enough people do complain to GM, then maybe they will change it. I personally dislike the way the key fobs are set up. The old #1 and#2 were a much better system, and I have expressed this to GM.

Hockeytown 1340
02-15-11, 09:59 PM
I agree with the washed out or fuzzy picture in my SRX backup screen. My 2011 Avalanche backup camera screen is so clear it almost looks as if it's in High Def, all be it a 3 inch screen on my review mirror! I was recently in an Accura with backup camera and the image on the screen was very clear and crisp looking.

Ponyman
02-15-11, 10:42 PM
Nice to hear about the Avalanche screen. My 07 doesn't have the backup camera. Planning on purchasing a 12 Avalanche since the rumor is it will be the last year for it. This one will have a backup camera in it.

TheCaptain
02-15-11, 11:33 PM
I think it's just "washed" out because the cam is so cranked out in its brightness/contrast ratios. I back into some really dark spots, and with the tiny ass backup lights, this cam picks up even the most insignificant changes in terrain/surroundings. Also, while it does have colour, i will agree it is washed out.

BUT! Think of this: you got a new tv (LED, LCD Plasma)! What is the first thing you do (once its set up)? Is adjust the brightness/contrast/ audio settings. Am i right? NOW! You want a good picture, so the darkness and contrast are mid ranged, so you have a sweet picture, but some of the darks/blacks blend into shadows and whatnot (i notice this a lot on vid games. they like to hide stuff in shadows!).
So what do i do in order to "see" into the shadows? That's right, crank up the brightness/contrast ratio so i can see outlines and stuff. Guess what also happens at the same time? Yea, i lose a bit of my crisp, super clean picture.
The only thing now is, this is the same thing on MY SRX anyway... though without HD quality (of which i bet many of us are used to) the picture loses more quality, and thus one complains.

I wish the SRX had HD screens in it, and a HD backup cam. None of this 1990's crap!
:D

Hockeytown 1340
02-16-11, 07:00 AM
I hear ya Captain. I think the big overall complaint is, that GM has some great back-up camera's in other vehicles as in my Avalanche, why not in our SRX? Also, months ago I mentioned in this forum about the Nav screen picture quality not being up to par as in other vehicle's I've owned. I felt the colors on the mapping could be more vibrant. Heck a $150.00 Garmin GPS unit has better color and contrast in bright sunlight than my SRX!

Willo
02-16-11, 11:44 AM
I have found that attaching the pictured device where my back up camera was greatly imrpoved the quality. In fact, I even have polarized glasses to put on when the car is in reverse to see the view in 3D. Of course, nobody can see the license plate now. :)

Seriously, the Captain spelled it all out in his recent post. You compromise clarity for resolution in low light and let's face it, the trickiest maneuvers you may face backing up will likely be at night. I'm satisfied with my quality...and another thing to consider, if the rear view mirror is being used for the image, the quality may be better than the larger picture shown on the nav screen.

Smokin' SRX
02-16-11, 10:23 PM
glad things have calmed down a bit. Written words can be taken out of context without a tone, facial expression like a wink/smile and some body language. It can be a real turn off to other members. Flame wars suck and ruin it for all......

Back to thread, my Enclave also has a much clearer/higher def type pix on the screen. I will have some time to check for adjustments in gain/contrast, etc tomorrow. I have my scopes/tools ready and hope to have some info. Just gotta find the circuit board..... May be that it is a diff vendor/cheaper product?

Peace
SS

dkmiller3356
02-24-11, 03:39 PM
UPDATE: I went to my dealer twice, and ended up with the answer: "That is how the product is made, we cannot fox it." My response was that I felt it was safety issue and if seat belts, brakes or a steering column were built in a faulty, and potentially dangerous manner it would be rectified. They told me to call GM and gave me a phone number. I called GM and they "elevated my call."

I heard back from GM today. They told me the same thing - that this was the product and how it was made but that my concern would be noted to Engineering for improvement on future vehicles. I told them I felt the response was unacceptable and that I would contacted the FTC. I was told that "this is my right as a consumer."

No less than 10 minutes later I get a cal from my dealership. Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."

I am going in tomorrow for the update. I will keep you all posted. I'm not expecting great at this point but a slight improvement would be nice.

To be continued...

cam30era
02-24-11, 03:55 PM
UPDATE: I went to my dealer twice, and ended up with the answer: "That is how the product is made, we cannot fox it." My response was that I felt it was safety issue and if seat belts, brakes or a steering column were built in a faulty, and potentially dangerous manner it would be rectified. They told me to call GM and gave me a phone number. I called GM and they "elevated my call."

I heard back from GM today. They told me the same thing - that this was the product and how it was made but that my concern would be noted to Engineering for improvement on future vehicles. I told them I felt the response was unacceptable and that I would contacted the FTC. I was told that "this is my right as a consumer."

No less than 10 minutes later I get a cal from my dealership. Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."

I am going in tomorrow for the update. I will keep you all posted. I'm not expecting great at this point but a slight improvement would be nice.

To be continued...

If you decide to followup with an official complaint, the FTC is not the right place. Go to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/)

dkmiller3356
02-24-11, 04:39 PM
Hopefully the software upgrade will do the trick. I'd rather not fight wind mills.

cam30era
02-24-11, 05:25 PM
Hopefully the software upgrade will do the trick. I'd rather not fight wind mills.

Yes, I agree with you. But this NHTSA site is specifically designed for vehicle owners to file safety related complaints. If the NHTSA receives enough customer complaints about a specific vehicle/issue, then they will open an investigation.

dkmiller3356
02-24-11, 06:08 PM
Good to know. Thanks!!

sube5186
02-25-11, 11:13 AM
Apparently there is now a software fix where there are 21 or so items and one of them is to improve clarity on a "fuzzy camera."

I guess the squeaky wheel does get the oil after all. If a software update can fix this, that's great. If not and it turns out to be more of a hardware issue, then I guess we're all screwed.

Is the camera image on the LCD sufficient to make sure you're not running over the neighbor's kid? Yes, of course it is. Is it inferior compared to some of GM's own other vehicles? Absolutely! Whether you love you car or hate it, the fact is undeniable. Somebody got the bright idea to cut corners (costs) by using a mediocre back-up camera and hoped no one would notice. Unfortunately for GM, WE DID!

Dkmiller3356, please post the Service Bulletin no. once you get the update performed. I complained about this some time ago and was also told, "It is what it is".

Sube

dkmiller3356
02-25-11, 11:47 AM
Just got back from the dealer and they performed the update. Early returns are that it doesn't look any better but it is a rainy over cast day here in NY. I think I need to wait for some nicer weather but it doesn't appear promising.

As far as the service bulletin number goes when I call them back I will ask for it. I hadn't asked for that info.

sube5186
02-25-11, 12:19 PM
As far as the service bulletin number goes when I call them back I will ask for it. I hadn't asked for that info.

Thanks!

This may just be a limitation of the camera lens itself. If that's the case, all the software changes in the world won't help.

Sube

racingf1
03-01-11, 08:58 PM
I asked the dealer w/r/t a blurred camera picture and they said that they would change out the back-up camera. They did this BUT, no improvement to picture quality. This is not meant to be a negative comment BUT, any GM cadillac dealer/manufacturer of a "high end" vehicle should be ashamed to continue to sell a back-up system with such a poor quality picture. My other car is the Jaguar and a Honda CRV. Both have a high quality back-up camera picture. ie VERY clear and wide angle. This is not a few complainers. It is real.

racingf1
03-17-11, 06:23 PM
Anyone know of an after market camera that would plug into current one. ie replace w/ another similar camera with better spec's and clear pic?

Hockeytown 1340
03-17-11, 10:56 PM
I think you guys may be missing the fact that the LCD Nav screen is the real culprit leading to our disappointment in the camera image you see! I've complained in earlier post's that the Nav screen seems washed out. Heck a $100.00 Garmin GPS screen has a much clearer image than my Nav screen. Therefore, you can re-place all the backup camera's you want but if our Nav screen is made of poor quality materials what's the point! I've seen built in Nav screen images in other vehicles and there almost of High Def quality. What say you?

Maxdmax
10-12-11, 10:00 PM
While it is not what I would call outstanding, our SRX backup camera seems fine to me. I just noticed something on our SRX tonight and while it may not have anything to do with the issue some are having I thought it might be worth throwing this out just in case. If it is dark and your lights are on put your car in reverse and turn your dash light dimmer up and down. When I did this it also dimmed the backup image quite a bit. So if your dash lights are dimmed so will your backup image.

gedecker
10-28-11, 11:13 AM
Gary, CA
I have a 2011 SRX and the camera is not very good. I think they must have put in the cheapest 1 Megapixel camera they could find. I wonder if there is a better after market camera?

inspectorudy
10-28-11, 12:09 PM
My camera seems to be ok. It is not up to the standards that I would have imagined for Cadillac but I can live with it. I have noticed when backing out of my dark garage the picture is in the dimmed mode and is basically unusable until it hits the sun and the auto dimmer kicks out. I have more of a problem with the nav display and have to leave it in the night mode to see the lines on the screen. In the day mode they are a very pale yellow and are unreadable. Who in hell would have ever used that color? Did they never look at a Garmin or a Magellan receiver? I would also like to have some form of control over the screen display such as brightness or color. Can you imagine a TV with no controls for these items? I understand auto companies and know they will NEVER retrofit any of our cars but it might help newer models get a better system so keep the responses coming.

Jonkarn
12-09-11, 11:57 AM
As an amateur photographer I would say the poor image is the result of very low resolution(low megapixels, blown up to an 8 inch screen) plus boosted contrast, making the image grainy. I just switched from an Infiniti, which had a pretty clear picture although would react too strongly to changes in brightness. The caddy's is definately grainy and washed out, but does the job. The other thing I liked about the Infinitis backup camera was that besides the lines showing wheel direction, it also had lines showing the cars orientation in relation to where the wheels were pointing, as well as different Colors on the lines to show distance to object in camera. Oh well, some things about the Infiniti I didn't like as well. Although I miss the automatic back seat lower and raise button and the electroni

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

As an amateur photographer I would say the poor image is the result of very low resolution(low megapixels, blown up to an 8 inch screen) plus boosted contrast, making the image grainy. I just switched from an Infiniti, which had a pretty clear picture although would react too strongly to changes in brightness. The caddy's is definately grainy and washed out, but does the job. The other thing I liked about the Infinitis backup camera was that besides the lines showing wheel direction, it also had lines showing the cars orientation in relation to where the wheels were pointing, as well as different Colors on the lines to show distance to object in camera. Oh well, some things about the Infiniti I didn't like as well. Although I miss the automatic back seat lower and raise button and the electroni

...electronic steering wheel adjustment...

paid4c4
12-09-11, 09:50 PM
I am beginning to think all car manufacturers must use the cheapest backup cameras they can find. The camera in our 2012X has the same quality as our 2009 Infiniti FX. I'm also surprised an aftermarket manufacturer hasn't developed a plug and play high quality replacement camera.
Bill

Jonkarn
12-10-11, 11:02 AM
It cant be too difficult to get a replacement camera of better quality, can it? There are probably many options that would fit the present camera housing and be compatable I would think. Does anyone have any experience with this?

pblonde
12-20-11, 09:13 AM
I just purchased a 2012 SRX after trading in a 2009 Lincoln MKS and am very disappointed with the camera quality of the SRX. Both my husband and I have owned a number of Cadillacs over the years and have never been disappointed with any features. However based upon the comments I'm seeing on this site, there have been ongoing concerns about the quality of the camera for quite some time. Given the exemplary quality of the camera on my MKS which was 3 years old when I switched to a brand new 2012 SRX this past weekend as well as what appears to be other brands where the cameras are superior I question why Cadillac has not improved on this feature. I'm told that the new 2012 SRX was redone from the previous version of the SRX (of which I did have one when they were originally introduced). Isn't Cadillac listening????

inspectorudy
12-22-11, 02:41 PM
PBblonde, to answer your question, NO, they are not listening. They never have and they never will. GM is under so much pressure to cut costs that we are not even on their radar screen. With disasters like the Volt they are scrambling to earn a profit on all of their other models. This is called bean counter folly. It's were a company lets its bean counters make decisions that cut costs but undermines their product's quality. It happens in every industry. Good management would not let it happen but with the game of musical CEO's at GM there is no one concerned about GM's image at this moment only their survival. I agree with the writer above who wanted to know if there was not a good replacement camera that could plug and play. However if it is the screen then all is lost. To me I am an old guy who thinks that I should buy American whenever I can and I have always treated the big two like I treat our Olympic athletes, with respect and hope they win. But when a company cannot go out and buy their competitors products and make their own better then I start to lose respect and realize that they are big corporations that really do not have the welfare of their customers at heart. Like most have said here, there are so many other backup cameras and screens available that you have to wonder how Cadillac could have chosen this crappy model. It had to be a purely cost decision. The same goes for the low beam head lights and why they would think that Cadillac owners would want safety to be an option. Merry Christmas!

Ponyman
12-22-11, 04:06 PM
Don't forget about the front parking sensors too!

MacMuse
12-22-11, 10:03 PM
PBblonde, to answer your question, NO, they are not listening. They never have and they never will. ...

Actually, an official GM employee/department DOES hang out at this site and talks to customers on-line. Sure, it's official, legal-approved conversation but THEY ARE HERE AND PARTICIPATE.

They may not change a design based on activity at one site, but it does feed into their corporate world.

Ponyman
12-23-11, 07:44 AM
The backup camera on my 11 Avalanche does seem to have a better picture, but that may be because it is a quarter the size of the one in the SRx. I would take the size of the SRX screen over the smaller one anyday. I'm not using it to watch movies, just to see if anything is behind me, and it does that job very well.

Huey Driver
04-13-12, 05:42 PM
I'm just a little sorry to dredge up such an old thread... Lots of comments recently on various posts about it tho.

Just thought I'd chime in that my '12 withOUT NAV has GREAT resolution. I can clearly see the grain of asphalt, cracks in the surface, etc. Today I backed into a space in the parking garage and could see bolts on the wall. When I walked back to look at them, they were no bigger than 1/2".
While I'm sure its true that different people expect different things, I dont expect to be able to read the headline on my neighbors newspaper as I back up. I figure if I cant clearly make out the leaves on the weeds growing out of my driveway, I can avoid a bicycle or person behind me (and that I need more roundup!)...
I'm just sayin'...

sube5186
04-13-12, 06:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but without Nav isn't your backup camera monitor within the rearview mirror? If so, that explains the difference. I'm not sure the poor backup camera image on the Nav screen is due to the camera itself. It may be due to the resolution of the pop-up LCD.

Sube

Huey Driver
04-13-12, 06:33 PM
Yes, its in the mirror. And it could be argued that compressing into a much smaller screen makes it APPEAR to have better resolution, plus, being closer to your eye helps. 480x600, for instance, on an 8" screen "looks" worse than the same resolution on a 2" screen. It is most likely that the camera is the limiting factor, as LCD displays are extremely cheap and yet still pretty high res.
The 'old' iPhone 4 is a 3.5 inch display with 960 x 640 pixel display, my Evo is a 4.3 inch screen with 800 x 480 pixel resolution. Not too hard to get a nice picture compressing that many pixels into that small space.
But as for being good for 'assisting' with vision, its relatively flawless, IMO.

sube5186
04-13-12, 06:49 PM
Good points. Like I've always said, when it comes to audio/video, auto technology is always about five years behind the rest of the world. I remember my first car with a CD player. It was such a big deal, when in fact home CD players had already been out for five years. By the time DVDs made their way into cars, Blu-ray was already out.

Sube

inspectorudy
04-13-12, 08:25 PM
I agree and I bet the screen is the weak link in our system. It would be great if someone could hook our camera to a different screen to see if it was the screen or the camera.

stevec5375
10-24-12, 06:10 PM
Resurrecting this old thread. I have 18K miles on my 2010 Premium. I am now starting to see the backup image as very degraded. The interior screen seems fine when I play a video so I suspect the rear camera has gone awry. Any helpful hints are appreciated.

allgm
10-24-12, 07:51 PM
I wonder if the lens is degrading. The tailgate sure picks up all the road grime. When I wax my SRX I wax the lens also. Maybe try some polish on it can't hurt.

300:29:1
10-24-12, 09:29 PM
My camera seems fine for it's intended purpose when there is no moisture on the lens. If it rains at all, I either have a hard time seeing on the monitor, or I see a blur/blob. I can't imagine what will happen when the snow starts flying in Central New York State. I wonder if precipitation is a problem for all back up cameras. This is my first back up camera. As I said, the quality seems fine for the intended application. I use the camera to gauge the space in the rear when backing. I haven't really used it for anything else.

TheCaptain
10-25-12, 10:31 PM
300, moisture on backup cams is a problem anytime any precipitation falls. Lucky ours is out all the time and easy to clean. Some manufacturers have a flip camera to try and assist in preventing this, but anywhere actual snow falls, it just jams the flip mechanism and burns the motor out. Really leaving you in the dark!
I just walk by and wipe my camera off when in wet/snowy conditions. Easy as pie.

300:29:1
10-26-12, 05:12 PM
300, moisture on backup cams is a problem anytime any precipitation falls. Lucky ours is out all the time and easy to clean. Some manufacturers have a flip camera to try and assist in preventing this, but anywhere actual snow falls, it just jams the flip mechanism and burns the motor out. Really leaving you in the dark!
I just walk by and wipe my camera off when in wet/snowy conditions. Easy as pie.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that after reading this thread, I looked at my monitor on the nav screen while reversing again. The display is actually quite good imo, but is noticeably poor at night.

ezstriper
11-30-12, 06:09 PM
there is a GM TSB of the poor rear camera issue now...saw it listed on the equinox/terrain/srx forums

sube5186
11-30-12, 07:25 PM
there is a GM TSB of the poor rear camera issue now...saw it listed on the equinox/terrain/srx forums

So what did it say? How about a link?

hambone8
11-30-12, 09:33 PM
I was just thinking a couple of days ago that the rear camera on the srx seems to be lacking in regards to resolution. I wonder is there is a way to hook up my old iPhone to replace it lol. I think in this day and age upgrading the camera wouldn't require tremendous amounts of brain power for from engineers or cost that much when considering the overall cost of an srx.

Denny41
11-30-12, 11:38 PM
My thoughts would be that it's not an Engineering issue but a cost issue. You might be surprised at the amount of blood, sweat and tears over a savings of a few pennys per unit.

inspectorudy
12-01-12, 10:29 AM
You are right about cost Denny. I remember when Johnson/Evinrude were the only big outboard motor manufacturers in the world and they refused to put stainless screws in their engines to save a few cents per motor. Now they are almost out of business. The bean counters can ruin any business if you let them. It would be interesting to see how much more in cost there would be to a new SRX if they came equipped with HIDs, a spare tire and a decent backup camera. I'm not talking about what they would charge us to buy these additions AFTER we own the car but when it is being built.

Marc NY
12-01-12, 10:49 AM
...The bean counters can ruin any business if you let them. It would be interesting to see how much more in cost there would be to a new SRX if they came equipped with HIDs, a spare tire and a decent backup camera. I'm not talking about what they would charge us to buy these additions AFTER we own the car but when it is being built.IMO: Bean counters back in the dark days of GM did do that, especially in the late 70's & 80's! :(

BTW:I have to agree... I would like to see more added features (HUD) to the SRX. I see that Cadillac is offering a spare tire as an option for those that want to have it. :)

The back up camera on my 2013, at least to me, seems to be an improvment over my previous SRXs... the camera also comes on much quicker (lesser of a delay) and seems to have a little bit more detail in it too. :thumbsup:

TheCaptain
12-01-12, 02:32 PM
Ya, the CUE reverse camera is very good, and it doesn't have the lag programmed in to account for the popup nav wait time.

Ponyman
12-01-12, 02:37 PM
I have to agree the 13 backup camera has a better quality image. Also like the fact you don't have to wait for the screen to rise before it comes on. Almost had an accident in our 10 when I started to back out of a parking space. Looked, it was clear, then started to bbackup, and another car came into the parking lot like it was the Indy 500. The backup camera wasn't up and on yet, but the rear parking sensors saved me.

hipkts2014
07-31-14, 06:21 PM

The camera in my 2012 Equinox was great, even though it was a small window. Perfectly clear.
The camera in a 2014 SRX is almost perfectly clear.
The dealership where I purchased the vehicle says that what I am seeing in the 2011 SRX is good. (Like looking through a cloud)
Second dealership said that they could not improve on what I had.
Thinking about replacing the camera lens portion.
Yes, my lens is kept clean.

dallyalley
08-02-14, 07:03 PM
I totally agree with this comment. It all depends on the user. I don't use the back up camera. I personally don't like the grainy image as others have said. I actually don't care for this entire pop up system. IMO... cheap looking and I despise that it moves up and down. I would love for it to be solid and flush with the dash. I didn't personally buy this car... it was handed down to me. It wouldn't have been my first choice by a mile. I am over 70k and I am looking forward to trading it.

hipkts2014
08-17-14, 12:42 PM
Well, I have news of the backup camera cloud. After discovering moisture inside the lens, I took that photo to the dealer. The camera also showed tiny water droplets on the edge surface of the lens. The dealer agreed to replace the camera (CPO vehicle). After the camera had been replaced, the tech showed me additional moisture inside the lens. The trick is to shine the led light at a right angle to the lens. The "cloud" then becomes visible.
Here is the older picture.
Here is the moisture that I saw the day the above picture was taken.

Here is the camera image with the new camera. No cloud any more.

hipkts2014
08-17-14, 01:12 PM
Deleted a duplicate message.

SRXpsych
08-30-14, 03:00 PM
Had a 2015 SRX with cue as a loner, and got to experience the cue system and the back up camera. What I concluded is I prefer the camera and picture in my 2012 SRX Lux. I didn't opt for the Nav so my picture screen is actually in upper left hand corner of the rearview mirror. I noticed the smaller image was clear and more of a natural position to view than looking at the dash. Also realized that with my smart phone I can replicate everything the cue system can do in terms of media and navigation, this includes better voice recognition, response time and reading out and responding to txt via the car audio via Bluetooth connectivity .

ladypro
09-01-14, 07:24 PM
I love my pop up nav, I can watch movies on mine

jrose7004
09-01-14, 07:47 PM
My 27 year old son thinks that the pop up screen is really cool.

Mike-Mike
09-01-14, 10:02 PM
My 27 year old son thinks that the pop up screen is really cool.

I'm 35 and I think it's pretty cool, strong selling point of my 2011 CTS