: Do you get used to the engine?

greyghost04
02-10-11, 09:56 AM
I'm just finishing (3month pull ahead) 7 years in 2 CTS's. Both had the 3.6 engine. I will probably moving to a new SRX as the CTS is exactly the same as my '08. I drove a AWD and I can readily sense the common thread on this forum that the engine is weak (I will probably buy a FWD and hope it is a little faster). I drove the SRX into town to see how it behaves in stop and go traffic. No problem there. I drove to the highway and came down the ramp, pedal to the metal. A lot of thrashing and sounds like the mice were really running hard on their treadmills to get us going. Once up to 70 though, it rode just fine. I really like the looks inside and out. It has just the right amount of electronics right in front of me (Lincoln MKX might be too much). I'm hoping that I'm giving up speed for mileage which I wouldn't mind. I know the 3.6 is coming in 2012, but that will raise the price of the SRX and it will go up in a new model year anyhow.

So, do you get used to the engine after a few months? Is the mileage good? If you hit your 'avg miles per gallon' button, what number pops up?

Thanks for any help and I'll soon be leaving the CTS forum (after7 years) for the SRX forum:bouncy:

smiley47
02-10-11, 10:07 AM
Test drive a 2.8 Turbo. There are still a few around. Better yet wait for the 2012 SRX with the 3.6 DI. A bit more power, better mileage and regular fuel as compared to the 2.8 Turbo.

rgalpaugh
02-10-11, 11:16 AM
If you like to drive aggressively, you won't like it much. I'm a fairly passive driver and its fine for me, although I'd like a bit more pop merging into traffic, my wife drives a BMW X3 every day and she hates it (the SRX). Gas mileage wise, close to 20 MPG in Washington DC stop and go traffic, 24 on the highway, about the same as my wife's rocket car. All that said, it is the most comfortable car I've ever ridden in.

Ponyman
02-10-11, 12:32 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the 3.0, but if you are one of those that thinks every car should have 500 HP, keep looking. You won't be happy with the vehicle, adn will be complaining about it all the time. If you already think that it isn't powerful enough for why in the world would you buy one, or not wait for the 3.6 version to come out.

TheCaptain
02-10-11, 04:38 PM
I'm usually an aggressive driver, and the 3.0L DI is just fine, in or out of Sport Mode. I like the aggressive sound of the DI engines, many people don't. (That's the sound of gas exploding at 1700+ PSI /500 PSI @ Idle)
I like the DI engines when they growl. :D
And its a nice engine, good mileage. I was getting lows of 22 mpg and highs of 34 mpg in the summer. I won't post my winter mileage because i Idle alot!

cfp40
02-10-11, 08:55 PM
Runs good for me. Getting about 20mpg and ok power.

greyghost04
02-10-11, 09:47 PM
Now I'm thinking of waiting till September and order a 2012 with 3.6.

Thanks for all the comments.

Smokin' SRX
02-10-11, 10:23 PM
Capt, has it been extra cold up there, LOL I saw your MPG numbers! Was that going downhill only?? LOL You guys go metric don't you? De-confuse me, pls.....

I have a heavy foot and get about 13 in town/21 hwy. (non-turbo) Can do 24MPG, in cruise/winter gas/62MPH

Ghost, you've gotten great opinions here and I hope you join us soon. I will just add that the eng in my opinion is totally adequate (no more) for most situations. But I'm a noise-nerd and when you step into it, the 3.0 comes to life but in a way I find too noisy. My opinion. A quick drive will confirm/deny. Ask the salesman to shutup and turn off the heater fan and radio. (common sales tricks)

SS

GeeVee
02-10-11, 10:59 PM
I think the Captain`s great mileage is partly due to the prairie ( flat ) geography where he lives. I`m in BC which is more hilly and so far I`m only getting 18 mpg in the city and 24 mph on the highway. I had hoped for more but with the weight of the car, perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part.

Smokin' SRX
02-10-11, 11:54 PM
GeeVee that's about all we will get because of what you said. The Capt hit a wrong button on the calculator during conversion I guess (metric/US) But after what he did with all the LED lights..........I forgive him! :-)

SS

GMJim
02-11-11, 06:25 AM
Ghost, I would wait.

Coming from a first gen with a N* V8 i was spoiled.
I continually bitch (to myself, not the forum) about the gear jumping
when passing or going up an incline. It's not that it's underpowered.
It's the six speed tranny, that downshifts at the drop of a hat.
It has plenty of passing/accelleration power, you just have to drop
one, sometimes two gears to get there, thus the mice are working OT.

I get about 21mph highway @ 80mph. It would be a couple better if I would slow down. But what fun is that.

cam30era
02-11-11, 10:31 AM
I purchased a 2011 SRX premium FWD in late January. After driving it for a couple of weeks, I found the engine performance to be adequate, but I was not fully satisfied with the transmission shift program. So after doing some research I decided to try the ECM and TCM reflash offered by Trifecta Performnce. Peak power gains were around 8HP, but low-mid RPM torque jumped almost 20 lb-ft with their tune.

I just completed the reflash of the engine and transmission modules yesterday (2/10/2010), and I can tell you that from a seat of the pants perspective, the results are extremely impressive. The part throttle and low speed torque is most impressive. WOT seems a little better, but normal driving is far better. The engine and transmission feel very "eager" now, almost like a 3.6l in around town driving. And the transmission does not need to downshift now, to maintain speed on moderate grades.

Chassis dyno results are shown on attachment. Note that chassis dyno power and torque figures are always less than engine dyno results.

greyghost04
02-11-11, 10:58 AM
Very impressive! How much does that cost? What would I look up in my town (Chicago) to find a place that does this. Does it void warranty?

cam30era
02-11-11, 11:08 AM
Their website is: trifectaperformance.com

Website lists many shops that will do this for you. But they offer a "EZFlash" software kit, and you can do it yourself if you are comfortable abound PCs.

Cost is not cheap. But I am very satisfied with the results. $400 for the software, plus a refundable $200 deposit for the cable.

The flash has an option that makes it transparent. But you can also reflash the stock programs anytime you want. That's why I purchased the cable too. And I am sure that this would void the warranty if you took it in for warranty work on the engine or trans, with this program on the module. That's why I purchased the cable also, just in case.

stevec5375
02-11-11, 04:43 PM
There was an earlier thread on this forum about being able to have the 2010 SRX transmission tuned to some new settings by the dealer.
Also, check out this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/216615-2011-srx-powertrain-calibration-enhancements.html

Was anyone ever successful in getting your dealer to recalibrate your transmission in your 2010 model?

TheCaptain
02-11-11, 05:28 PM
Capt, has it been extra cold up there, LOL I saw your MPG numbers! Was that going downhill only?? LOL You guys go metric don't you? De-confuse me, pls.....
SS

GeeVee that's about all we will get because of what you said. The Capt hit a wrong button on the calculator during conversion I guess (metric/US) But after what he did with all the LED lights..........I forgive him! :-)

SS

I do try to post in US numbers so i don't confuse you guys, but i hit a wrong number. 34 is wrong. 26 is my summer high. *embarrassed*
And yea, like GeeVee mentioned, i have the nicety of having the flattest land around here, with lots of highway driving. My in town during the summer ranges from 13-18 MPG US.

Also yep, it was extra cold up here for awhile. Some -32*C (-26*F) with windchill of -45*C (-49*F).

stevec5375
02-11-11, 05:41 PM

Also yep, it was extra cold up here for awhile. Some -32*C (-26*F) with windchill of -45*C (-49*F).

Here in Austin, TX we just had a few days of temps below freezing and one day of light snow. They shut down schools and businesses. LOL!!

I suppose it's all relative.

But one thing can say is that having grown up in East TN near the Smokey Mtn National Park, I was used to a winter with snow. After 30 years of summers exceeding 100 degrees for days on end, I freeze my butt off when it gets below freezing here.

I can't imagine living with your temps.

dkmiller3356
02-11-11, 05:47 PM
Just got my SRX and though the power isn't "impressive" it is perfectly "fine." I was worried it would be underwhelming so I am pleasantly surprised.

randyespo
02-12-11, 07:55 PM
We have about 2500 miles on our 2011 SRX with the 3.0 and really love it... Came from a 2010 GMC Terrain with the same motor... Ride is a true Cadillac, plenty of power and styling.... When I need some more power I drive my Chevrolet SSR with a 6.0 motor.... The Cadi runs great for the wife and I.... We have a very hilly area here in Ct, so we get to put it through its paces.....

tc2010
02-13-11, 09:01 PM
I have no issues with the spunky 3.0....Perhaps a tad noisy in passing gear, but I'm only there 3% of driving time..