: Newb here with an 01 Seville STS.

Biff85ta
02-10-11, 01:15 AM
My name is Mike I am from Benton IL and monday my wife and I purchased a nice 01 Seville STS and so far I am loving it. We had been looking to find the big GM at the right time and had missed out on a couple of different cars for one reason or another. I am glad they did because I am extremely happy with the car I ended up with.

I am DIY with all of my vehicles. No one else will touch my caddy if it can be prevented. I am also currently in the parts gathering phase of a LS1 swap in my 87 Monte Carlo LS. Anyway I look forward to being a positive addition here.

kckranz
02-10-11, 11:06 AM
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum - glad you are here. You'll find lots of useful information here - lots of "been there, done that" in the Seville / Eldorado and Northstar forums. Take my advice and start by doing a few day's worth of solid reading, starting with the "Cadillac Technical Archive" link above in the black banner.

Submariner409
02-10-11, 11:46 AM
:highfive: Hi, and Welcome Aboard.

Go up in the black bar ^^^ and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive (especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation is good...............), go down to Discussions, Technical Tips and wade through that, as well as Engines: Northstar Performance. Run your car's VIN through the sticky post "VIN to RPO converter" to find out what's built into that car. Your RPO and paint codes are also on a sticker under the spare tire cover. The car's build date is on the driver's door tire ID stickers. Carry 32 psi, cold, in the tires for best all-around ride, handling and gas mileage. You'll get, on 87 octane, between 13 - 17 city and suburban and up to 27.5 on the Interstate. Google "top tier gasoline" and "chevron techron" to get a few ideas on gasolines and fuel system cleanliness. DO NOT run any sort of aftermarket potions or snake oils in the gasoline, engine oil, or coolant. Your car has a 3.71:1 final drive, so the engine should turn about 1750 rpm on level road at 60 mph.

Either get a real GM/Helm Service Manual from eBay or www.helminc.com (Haynes and Chilton are FAR too generic) and/or subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com

Lord Cadillac
02-10-11, 11:49 AM
Welcome aboard, Mike! And thank you for signing up!

orconn
02-10-11, 01:09 PM
Welcome!

Ranger
02-10-11, 03:57 PM
:welcome: and congrats

drewsdeville
02-10-11, 04:15 PM
:welcome:

Sub, I have to ask: I feel like I've read those exact words before, and the first line in your reply tells him to read the tech archive, though he already stated that was the plan...Is that a saved speech especially for newcomers?

gdwriter
02-10-11, 04:51 PM
:welcome: I've had my 01 Seville for two years, and it is by far the best car I've ever owned (not counting my '64 Impala). Hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine and that it gives you many miles of pleasurable driving and reliable service.

Submariner409
02-10-11, 04:53 PM
Sub, I have to ask: I feel like I've read those exact words before, and the first line in your reply tells him to read the tech archive, though he already stated that was the plan...Is that a saved speech especially for newcomers?

The OP made no mention of the Technical Archive, kckranz did. My constant references to the Archives and Tech Tips are meant to get everybody in the same pool as fast as possible............... Most new CF members aren't gearheads or shop techs, and it's obvious from their first posts that most have not done much homework or even realize the vast amount of technical knowledge stored in CF. :cool2:

drewsdeville
02-10-11, 04:57 PM
The OP made no mention of the Technical Archive, kckranz did.

Oh yeah, my bad :banghead: Too quick to read carefully after I thought I had heard that exact paragraph before.

Submariner409
02-10-11, 08:02 PM
:devil: I need a copy/paste folder - it would save my two index fingers..........

Biff85ta
02-11-11, 12:57 AM
I know all about searching a forum and reading the technical archives on a forum. My automotive forum experience started on TGO almost a decade ago with my old trans am. I don't plan on making many posts till I have time to learn most of the more common quirks to these cars from a lot of reading on here.

I have also way in the past (95) actually had a northstar (well it was an aurora 4.0) apart and was extremely impressed with what I found inside.