: Battery Chargers & Boosters

iametarq
02-09-11, 05:20 PM
I'm wanting to get a battery charger. I was looking at some at K-Mart and Diehard makes one that says "80amp engine start".

If my wall outlet is only rated at 15amps how can this thing start the car? I only have a 100amp services to my house.

Thanks.

00 Deville
02-09-11, 05:33 PM
I'm wanting to get a battery charger. I was looking at some at K-Mart and Diehard makes one that says "80amp engine start".

If my wall outlet is only rated at 15amps how can this thing start the car? I only have a 100amp services to my house.

Thanks.

The 80 amps coming out of the charger is only at 12-14 volts DC. The input from your house to the charger is at approximately 115 volts AC. Therefore the charger is only going to pull approximately 9-10 amps from the outlet to produce the 80 amps going to the car.

iametarq
02-09-11, 05:36 PM
Is 80 amps enough to start the Deville/Seville if it is totally dead and I don't have another car around to jump it?

00 Deville
02-09-11, 05:55 PM
Is 80 amps enough to start the Deville/Seville if it is totally dead and I don't have another car around to jump it?

I've got the same charger... I used it to jump start a 4.0L Jeep.

I'm sure it would turn the starter with no problem on my Deville... IDK if I would trust it enough to put out nice clean DC power... risking burning up one of the many electronic devices.

ben.gators
02-09-11, 06:14 PM
It is all about the power, not currents. The power that the charger receives from the AC outlet is transformed and given to the car. So the amounts of these powers should be almost equal (There will be some waste of power during transformation), not the currents.
Some basic elementary physics:

Power from outlet to the charger= power from the charger to the car
1/2*V(outlet)*I (outlet)=V(charger)*I(charger)
1/2*120*15=12*80
900 watts =960 watts
and you see the equality is almost satisfied.
I am assuming the AC current is 15 A, AC volt is 120V, and the charger produces 12V and 80A.

jayoldschool
02-09-11, 08:41 PM
I have three small battery chargers, a big rolling charger/booster like pro garages use, and a booster pack. By far the most useful is the booster pack. Portable, rechargeable, and works every time. A must for someone with occasional use cars.

iametarq
02-09-11, 11:47 PM
I picked up the 80 amp start up unit. Thanks for the input.