: What size fitting goes into the Rochester carb on 472 for fuel line?

73super
02-09-11, 08:12 AM
Mine is completely unusable. Need to get a new one for new (rebuilt) carb. Anybody ? '74 Caddy.

deVille33
02-09-11, 10:05 AM
This fitting is pretty common on Rochesters and should be available at any parts store. Just ensure you get the correct fitting for your application. As you don't describe the problem, I can only guess. Did they forget the seal that goes into the recess at the end of the fitting?

73super
02-09-11, 12:55 PM
Can't tell you as it was impossible to remove. And I TRIED EVERYTHING.. Have no idea how that happened.. it's almost like it "bonded" itself to the carb. I'm installing a rebuilt carb and had to cut the line to get the carb off. Never had this much trouble before.

cadillac_al
02-09-11, 07:20 PM
Since you have the line cut it will be a good place for an in-line filter. You can buy a new short piece of gas line with the fitting already on it. It may have a fitting on each end and you will have to cut one end off.

73super
02-10-11, 08:02 AM
Yep.. I was planning on installing a gas filter right there.. you read my mind.

Anxious to get this mighty 472 up and humming!

deVille33
02-10-11, 09:35 AM
It is a common problem that the fuel line fitting freezes to the inlet nut. Normally, you use a 1" wrench on the nut and a 5/8" line wrench on the fitting, provided the fitting hex isn't rounded out. There have been times when the aid of a propane torch to heat the fitting has assisted removal. Smack the wrench on the fitting. A sharp rap often will break the fitting free, rather than constant pressure.