: To prevent back problems.

lev
09-29-04, 07:27 PM
I have never worked in heavy manual labor jobs, so please don't think that that is a stupid question.

How do I prevent my back from going bad?

I know I need to lift with knees. I have no idea how to use a special belt I see some weightlifters sporting.

Please, I am looking for serious replies only, as I know nothing about keeping my back safe.

tru504187211
09-29-04, 07:39 PM
I used to wear a lifting brace for my back when I'd lift weights. Otherwise, I guess just don't slouch when sitting and keep your back upright when lifting.

Ralph
09-29-04, 08:40 PM
I used to wear a lifting brace for my back when I'd lift weights. Otherwise, I guess just don't slouch when sitting and keep your back upright when lifting.

That's part of my problem, I used to work construction and lift weights and I never used a back support! Now I have 2 discs that slip occasionally and the pain is unbearable! (L4 and L5) I have to do special exercises to keep the cartilage from slipping and bone from touching nerve.

I also find that the firm leather seats in the Cadillac are extremely beneficial to back pain. With my crappy mushy cloth seats in my Grand Marquis, it made me worse. As crazy as it sounds, when I sit in a new Dodge SX (Neon) I can feel my back almost healing as the seats are properly designed with good, firm lower back support, etc.

I recommend getting a back support for any future lifting or even bending. When picking something up, say, 40 pounds or heavier, try using you legs and arm muscles to lift more than curving your back upwards, and try to keep your back straight in the process. Good luck!

majax
09-30-04, 01:25 AM
Get a Cadillac with the masaging seats, they do wonders for my dad. Oh and heat to. The belts you wear in weight training is for hurnia prevention not back help. When you sit in a chair put your but all the way into it dont slouch.

illumina
09-30-04, 02:04 AM
do drugs.

Stoneage_Caddy
09-30-04, 02:39 AM
Dont take anything lightly when it comes to your back , realize you are not superman ...Be smart , lift with legs only , try to get a buddy to help you lift things when your arent 110% sure you can do it .....Go to the gym to ensure your back muscles and abs get into and stay in good shape ....

Tis why i am labeld a "disabled " veteran , while its nice to pick up a check every month it isnt worth the pain i go thru with hunriated discs in my lumbar reigon ...I have to go to neuroloigts and Mri people and everything else ......I loose feeling in my legs sometimes and other things go out of whack ....I can no longer work on cars and trucks anymore like i used to , takes me 2 hours to change my own oil now....

All because i thought i could move a 400lb firetruck tire(a coworker told me i would be able to move it) , all i wanted to do was scoot it over , i went to lift and scoot the tire/wheel and heard a pop and was unable to stand up stright for 3 days , my life changed forever ...

Good to see you asked the question dude , shows your at least thinking smart ...i belive your employer legaly has to provide you with a back support for lifting ...

D148L0
09-30-04, 05:12 PM
Go to the gym to ensure your back muscles and abs get into and stay in good shape ....
This is the best thing ou can do. Yeah, and the other logical stuff, too.

Ralph
09-30-04, 06:05 PM
This is the best thing ou can do. Yeah, and the other logical stuff, too.

That's true because isn't there something like a 2% muscle loss every year after 30! (or am I thinking of melatonin/or both?) Therefore it's important to build up muscle to help support joints for when we get older, etc.

daacon
09-30-04, 08:01 PM
Ab strength is crucial - if you do crunches do them right. If you lift weights do it right , if you do any excersise do it right !!! (see a pettern here). Anyone that has worked out has from time to time kinda cheated on the last rep or got a little lazy and went into very bad form (I know I have) - better to do fewer reps or use less wieght and maintain form.

Side to side twist are good are well . Try to be watchfull of picking up objects > any wieght actaully from the side by reaching and twisting and bending over.

A good walk / run compresses the disc (sleeping with a bad back is a bad thing .....things swell up and then whoa pain !!! ) - a good thing for a variety of body parts including the back.

Once a disc slips , (as mine has before, knock on wood , not for a while now :worship: ) and pinches the nerve , I have been told the frequency of which it WILL happen again (not if) , increases. Better to never have it happen at all :D

RBraczyk
09-30-04, 08:03 PM
do drugs.

That would probably work.

davesdeville
10-01-04, 03:18 AM
Drugs are only good to mask the pain once you've already screwed yourself up.

Ralph
10-01-04, 03:22 AM
Drugs are only good to mask the pain once you've already screwed yourself up.

True, but in Canada we can get special permits to smoke pot legally for medical purposes. :yup: :nyanya:

orange
10-01-04, 05:11 AM
yeah we can get weed prescribed legally sometimes too..

but reading this is a good thing for me.. every morning i have to move the amp for my bass guitar.. i do that from my right side, then i move it back b4 bed (gotta move it to get to comp in the morning, then back again to get to bed)... i slouch a lil when i sit and type but thats cuz the keyboard is a couple inches too far...

at least i have a CHAIR at the comp now.. no more couch LOL...

but, see a chiropractor even if yoo DONT have back problems, just so yoo can try to avoid them later on.. and i'm sayin this at age 20....

AirJigga25
10-01-04, 11:05 AM
I have never worked in heavy manual labor jobs, so please don't think that that is a stupid question.

How do I prevent my back from going bad?

I know I need to lift with knees. I have no idea how to use a special belt I see some weightlifters sporting.

Please, I am looking for serious replies only, as I know nothing about keeping my back safe.

When yuo are lifting something that is on the ground that is damn heavy, make sure YOUR HEAD IS UP, just look up, this allows your back to straighten out so you aren't lifting with your back. Lift with your ass and legs. If you're weight lifting or moving furniture the weight belt around the waist works to stabalize your back, I like wearing them and feel safer. BAD BACKS SUCK. If you have a bad back, good chiropractors work wonders...no more waking up with sore backs. I also noticed that having a nice firm, brand new bed made a different instead of a soft, old bed with no support.

Rolex
10-01-04, 05:15 PM
Stay in school, get lots and lots of education and work a job that exercises your brain...not your back.

AirJigga25
10-01-04, 05:19 PM
Stay in school, get lots and lots of education and work a job that exercises your brain...not your back.

some people lift heavy things when they aren't working ya know. being a construction worker or is a furniture mover isn't the only way to hurt your back.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-01-04, 07:38 PM
college is overated anyway ....by the time im done ill have spent 40k ...for what ? So i can earn roughly the same ammount per hour as the kid who manages the local macdonalds ... .....i figure in 40 years (ill be 68) my education will have paid for itself....or maybe its just a florida thing...only reason im still there is i want to finish what i started ,havent backed down from a challenge in 10 years , i dont plan to start anytime soon....

added bonus , nice desk jobs with job security and decent benifits are few and far between nowadays , we ship those overseas , the politicans plan ? that we all work in factorys or serviceing the products desgined built and sold overseas ....till that changes we all gotta do what we gotta do to keep food on our tables for our familys

what happend to my country ?

Ralph
10-01-04, 07:43 PM
but, see a chiropractor even if yoo DONT have back problems, just so yoo can try to avoid them later on.

I don't really trust bone crunchers. We had a case here about two years ago of a young 21 year old girl who went in for neck pains, the chiropractor jerked her neck sideways and she died instantly! It made national news and apparently it is VERY rare but it happened. I know that millions of people go to them and nothing happens, etc. Life is a risk.

orange
10-05-04, 01:56 PM
I don't really trust bone crunchers. We had a case here about two years ago of a young 21 year old girl who went in for neck pains, the chiropractor jerked her neck sideways and she died instantly! It made national news and apparently it is VERY rare but it happened. I know that millions of people go to them and nothing happens, etc. Life is a risk.

damn.. never heard of that happening.. dammit.. now yoo scared me LOL

but anyways, reason i'm back here now is, yoo guessed it, my back is fuked.. the bass amp i mentioned... well yup, its fuked my back up quite nicely :canttalk:

ah well.. if u'r worried about chiropractors, try an osteopath, they keep things soft and gentle.. or maybe its just cuz both my chiro and osteo are hot :shhh: hehehe

ah well... this is painful lol

Ralph
10-05-04, 03:42 PM
damn.. never heard of that happening.. dammit.. now yoo scared me LOL

but anyways, reason i'm back here now is, yoo guessed it, my back is fuked.. the bass amp i mentioned... well yup, its fuked my back up quite nicely :canttalk:

ah well.. if u'r worried about chiropractors, try an osteopath, they keep things soft and gentle.. or maybe its just cuz both my chiro and osteo are hot :shhh: hehehe

ah well... this is painful lol

Actually I went to a physio therapist and they recommended some good back excercises that seem to help a bit. Our Provincial health care doesn't cover trips to the physio therapist anymore so I went a couple times ($45.00 each) and I now do the exercises on my own, etc. Apparently, most hearneated discs can eventualy "put back in place" while doing these exercises, but not for me yet.

orange
10-06-04, 09:10 AM
Actually I went to a physio therapist and they recommended some good back excercises that seem to help a bit. Our Provincial health care doesn't cover trips to the physio therapist anymore so I went a couple times ($45.00 each) and I now do the exercises on my own, etc. Apparently, most hearneated discs can eventualy "put back in place" while doing these exercises, but not for me yet.
oh ok..
is there any way i could get the info from yoo? not sure if yoo have a scanner or something

Ralph
10-06-04, 05:57 PM
oh ok..
is there any way i could get the info from yoo? not sure if yoo have a scanner or something

I don't have a scanner and I lost the great sheet that showed all the exercises, however I can describe two of them that I still do and they seem to help a bit.

1) Lay on your stomach like your going to do a push up. From the waist up only, push up with your arms and lock your elbows, but don't raise your waist or legs, etc. The idea of arching your back the opposite direction is to force the slipped discs back into place because usually we bend foreward when reaching for something, etc. (which can cause the disc to slip again especially under load) This is a good preventative excercise for anybody. Hold for about 10 secs, and repeat. Do 3 sets of 10 everyday.

2) Lay flat on your back. Lift your right knee and raise it toward your (and level with) your left hip. Your body has to roll but keep your arms planted on the floor. It is basically a twist exercise and it great to stretch back muscles so you can possibly avoid a back strain, etc. Repeat for the opposite side.

If I can think of more I'll let you know.

orange
10-08-04, 06:19 AM
oh ok, thanx a lot for that, i'll give them a go as soon as i'm off line...

once my back's feelin a little better i think its time i started doin the exercises in this book hehe.. i'm such a skinny bastard lol...

thanx again man :)