: Negotiation tactics - GMC Loyalty rebate

jbsharpe
02-08-11, 03:23 PM
I'm in the process of buying a 2011 SRX and just received a GM Loyalty $1500 off rebate. (I have a GMC Denali, wife has a Buick Lucern).
I'm assuming that I can negotiate the price of the car as far as I can go, then once the handshake is done, pull out the rebate for the additional savings This assumption is based on the dealer isn't losing anything as this is a GM item, and the dealer get's reimbursed?

I don't want to screw the dealer, but want to get as much reductions as I can.

Thoughts?

stevec5375
02-08-11, 03:59 PM
What's the worst that can happen? The dealer or you can always say no to any deal.

I always negotiate with with them thinking I'm going to finance the car and then when the final price is arrive at, the next day I show up with a cashier's check for the total. At that point they can take it or leave it. If they think you are going to finance it, they will give you a better price because they get money from the financing.

xrisus
02-08-11, 10:31 PM
You should negotiate the price to where you want it, and once they agree to that price, then pull out the rebate. It does not affect the dealer as GM pays the dealer that amount (thus the dealer does not lose any money in the deal), and you reap the savings from GM and not the dealer. It acts almost like a dealer incentive from GM in that respect. This is how I understand this to work as I just bought my 2011 SRX in December.

walshie
02-08-11, 11:33 PM
I just used mine on a new SRX. We were working on a deal and were close to what i wanted, but not quite there when i mentioned that i had received the offer a couple months ago. They were able to look it up as i didn't have the cert. They took it off their best deal. This was on a lease so you can use it to buy or lease.

jbsharpe
02-12-11, 05:19 PM
Picking up my car today. I think I got a good deal:
2011 SRX Premium Mocha Steel with
Trailering Package, Roof Crossbars, Navigation/HDD, 20" and Chrome Tech wheels
with my $1000 loyalty rebate for a total of $46,780 in the Portland, Oregon area.

When he saw me drive up in my denali, he had already mentioned the loyalty program and tried to only reduce it by that. I hope I got a good deal.

Next is to add that really nice mesh grill to the front.