: N's where did they get there name from

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 02:28 PM
just wondering i have searched goggled and nothing comes up for how GM names the Northstar the Northstar where did they come up with the name does anyone know where Northstar got its name and why ?

mhamilton
02-07-11, 02:47 PM
The Northstar system was named after the guiding north star, because the new engine and chassis controls were intended to guide Cadillac back to greatness after the '80s debacle of underpowered powerplants (V864, HT4100, Olds diesel) and poor cars (Cimarron, the late '80s Eldorado, etc).

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 02:56 PM
ah ok cool

maeng9981
02-07-11, 07:23 PM
It is very cool to have the own powertrain nickname, like Northstar, than being called a 4.6L or a 279.

goodjim
04-15-12, 12:14 PM
Northstar came from Marvel Comics: first seen in xmen and then alpha flight from Canada.
\
Northstar has twin sister names Aurora,, they named an Olds after her

Northstar was mutated and became the fastest person in the world. He can run faster than the fastest jet plane.

His rreal name is Jean Claude (something) this is a french name and the word Cadilliac was a french name.

Northstar is the first open gay super hero and he gets married to his boyfriend in the comic books.

All of this seems strange at first but I verified all this info. GM will not say if it is tru or not.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-15-12, 03:20 PM
I have my doubts about that.

orconn
04-15-12, 03:25 PM
Sounds plausible, like somebody really slipped one over on the "hep" guys at GM! Great names never the less!

EChas3
04-15-12, 05:11 PM
Any number of things have been named Northstar but the only consistent reference is the North Star: in religion, astronomy, navigation and symbolically as the guide or goal.

It's a great name and I love mine!

KNCadillac8898
04-15-12, 05:25 PM
If only they had come up with something better, like Pentastar.... :suspect:

/sarcasm

EChas3
04-15-12, 06:27 PM
To each, their own!

Submariner409
04-15-12, 08:10 PM
"Northstar" : All engines of this model point to dkozloski up in Fairbanks ?

"Northstar" : An engine designed to run better in the northern hemisphere because we're pretty much right side up above the Equator, while engines south of the Equator are upside down, so the gasoline and oil runs out of them instead of in ? (goggle Southstar)

"Bi-Northstar" : An engine that gets better gas mileage going from Maine to Florida (downhill), as opposed to the one that gets worse gas mileage going back to Maine (uphill) ?

:gah:

Jesda
04-15-12, 08:21 PM
From the side of an ice cream truck
http://www.1127web.com/samples/northstar_2.jpg

cadi509
04-15-12, 08:50 PM
^^ someone's just unhappy cause their north star didn't perform as expected?

Stingroo
04-15-12, 08:56 PM
Northstar came from Marvel Comics: first seen in xmen and then alpha flight from Canada.
\
Northstar has twin sister names Aurora,, they named an Olds after her

Northstar was mutated and became the fastest person in the world. He can run faster than the fastest jet plane.

His rreal name is Jean Claude (something) this is a french name and the word Cadilliac was a french name.

Northstar is the first open gay super hero and he gets married to his boyfriend in the comic books.

All of this seems strange at first but I verified all this info. GM will not say if it is tru or not.

The comic info is true, actually. Except the part about the marriage, that comic is supposed to come out later this year.

However, I doubt that was the inspiration for the naming of the products. Although I suppose anything is possible....

Jesda
04-15-12, 09:59 PM
^^ someone's just unhappy cause their north star didn't perform as expected?

Mine exceeded expectations.

By a wide margin.

The-Dullahan
04-16-12, 02:24 AM
I don't think it has religious significance.

If it does, I propose Cadillac make an immensely overpowered bigblock and name it The Morningstar. Then they can put it in a fullsize Sedan worthy of the title of "Landyacht" and laugh at the idiots out there who sincerely buy a new car based on MPG ratings.

Submariner409
04-16-12, 09:44 AM
Northern Tools ??? sells NorthStar generators and other power equipment...............

dkozloski
04-16-12, 10:48 AM
Catchy names like "NorthStar" are dreamed up by focus groups convened for just this purpose. Large corporations and ad agencies have name possibilities lined up years in advance for car models, refrigerators, dish soap and just about anything else you can name. Are you ready to market a new product? Look in the company book for a name that's copyrighted already.

talismandave
04-16-12, 12:38 PM
We always laugh at the paint color names at the hardware store. A co-worker said "how do you get that job, sit in a room and make up names?"
My response was. Remember that friend who was an art major in school? Remember making fun of them? "What are you going to be when you graduate, an artist?"
Who's laughing now!:rolleyes:

Aron9000
04-17-12, 07:15 AM
We always laugh at the paint color names at the hardware store. A co-worker said "how do you get that job, sit in a room and make up names?"
My response was. Remember that friend who was an art major in school? Remember making fun of them? "What are you going to be when you graduate, an artist?"
Who's laughing now!:rolleyes:

Great stuff right there. . . .

As much as I would like the Northstar to be named after a gay superhero, I'm sure it was named after the actual "North Star" in terms of the brightest star in the Northern Hemisphere, aka the one used for centuries as a navigation tool.

vincentm
04-17-12, 07:21 AM
And because they knew it would run hot.....

Thank you thank you, ill be here all week folks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-17-12, 11:13 AM
Minnesota's old NHL team was called the North Stars. They went to Texas in '93, the same year the engine was released.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5W_PKdz9LEk/Sp7Cy4LwniI/AAAAAAAAANQ/y3Na_wyTg3o/s320/minnesota_north_stars_1982.gif

77CDV
04-17-12, 09:38 PM
And the CLC's region in MN is called the Northstar Region! :)

Interestingly, the 1993 full-line Cadillac catalogue refers to "The Northstar System", which referred to the engine itself as well as the Road-Sensing Suspension, Speed-Sensitive Steering, and Traction Control.

orconn
04-17-12, 09:56 PM
I much prefer the story that the Northstar and Aurora were named after "gay" comic book characters. The image of the executives sitting around their conference table watching a slide show announcing these new additions to the GM lineup .... and then being told "Oh, by the way!" The image of these stayed pillars of American corporate mediocrity getting this news is just too good to pass up!

KNCadillac8898
04-17-12, 10:09 PM
And the CLC's region in MN is called the Northstar Region! :)

Interestingly, the 1993 full-line Cadillac catalogue refers to "The Northstar System", which referred to the engine itself as well as the Road-Sensing Suspension, Speed-Sensitive Steering, and Traction Control.

I have a '97 full line entitled "Northstar System Series" where the first 10 pages are about everything you mentioned.

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 02:16 AM
and because they knew it would run hot.....

Thank you thank you, ill be here all week folks.
lolololyes

The-Dullahan
04-18-12, 04:30 AM
Apparently, it is rather widely believed that the Northstar powered every fullsize Cadillac made between now and the sixties. I have heard enough people speculate, or flat out state that these engines were in those cars. In even more rare cases, they will argue it.

I have myself, personally been asked if or told that my car had a Northstar and when I acquired the engine for the engine swap, one of the very first people who heard of this (Whom I did not get too technical with, being of less education in this field) engine "From a 1970 Eldorado" immediately decided I meant a Northstar and misquoted this information to many people within a week. He had also told me he has never heard of an Eldorado before and asked what it was.

As for myself, I have doubts I should ever own one, because Cadillac never produced anything Northstar-powered that interested me. Not the engine, or the fear of headgasket problems the world tries to instill in me, I just never really liked any of those cars to begin with.

brandondeleo
04-18-12, 04:35 AM
Oh my god...

77CDV
04-19-12, 03:54 AM
Apparently, it is rather widely believed that the Northstar powered every fullsize Cadillac made between now and the sixties. I have heard enough people speculate, or flat out state that these engines were in those cars. In even more rare cases, they will argue it.

I have myself, personally been asked if or told that my car had a Northstar and when I acquired the engine for the engine swap, one of the very first people who heard of this (Whom I did not get too technical with, being of less education in this field) engine "From a 1970 Eldorado" immediately decided I meant a Northstar and misquoted this information to many people within a week. He had also told me he has never heard of an Eldorado before and asked what it was.

As for myself, I have doubts I should ever own one, because Cadillac never produced anything Northstar-powered that interested me. Not the engine, or the fear of headgasket problems the world tries to instill in me, I just never really liked any of those cars to begin with.

IDK, I could see you sporting a black over black ETC with deeply tinted windows. I know you'd love the N*'s power. :)