: Re-reviewing a 1992 Honda Civic hatchback. 50 mpg!

Jesda
02-07-11, 01:25 AM
http://jesda.com/2011/02/07/50-mpg-spokane-to-portland-1992-honda-civic-hatchback/

You may remember, six years ago I took my dad's Honda across the pacific northwest and did some sightseeing. It was interesting to write about this car again, as I've come to appreciate it even more as time has gone by. It's also depressing to see what's become of Honda.

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wpid-portland2005006-2011-02-6-20-22.jpg

Pics and details and such are in the link.

http://jesda.com/2011/02/07/50-mpg-spokane-to-portland-1992-honda-civic-hatchback/

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 01:39 AM
i have only driven one Honda it was a accord 2 door coupe 2001 i belive
it was preaty nice i actualy liked it better then the acura tl i drove ones same year i belive arent they the same cars also just difrnat names ?

drewsdeville
02-07-11, 01:43 AM
Those Vx's have a cult following. My best friends cousin had one and drove it till the doors fell off. Even now after it's been gone, he still talks about it a lot (mostly about how he wishes he still had it).

Although he loved it dearly, I seem to remember him complaining about replacing the oxygen sensor. Some funky 5-wire wideband that costed him hundreds to purchase.

mhamilton
02-07-11, 11:22 AM
That's a great review :) You wonder what's going on with car manufacturers today? Now it seems like 35 mpg is the norm for an "economy" car. And everything you said this car wasn't, is exactly what I hated about the little Nissan I drove as a rental (felt like it was going to fall apart over 70 mph, and every bump on the road caused it to bounce 3-4 inches to the side... very "twitchy").

Destroyer
02-07-11, 11:52 PM
That's a great review :) You wonder what's going on with car manufacturers today? Now it seems like 35 mpg is the norm for an "economy" car. And everything you said this car wasn't, is exactly what I hated about the little Nissan I drove as a rental (felt like it was going to fall apart over 70 mph, and every bump on the road caused it to bounce 3-4 inches to the side... very "twitchy").You know, many "economy" cars in the 80's and early 90's surpass the "economy" cars of today as far as mpg's go. Guess the cars just got heavier or we really have been going forward in reverse. :bonkers:

Aron9000
02-08-11, 02:48 AM
Just curious, but how loud is that car inside at 70mph? That's always been my chief complaint about cheap cars like that civic, is the noise and lack or refinement. You feel like you're in a tin can, which you basically are if it only weighs 2000lbs. I remember my friends 90's civics got a lot of parking lot dings/dents due to how ridiculously thin the sheetmetal was on them.

Jesda
02-08-11, 03:46 AM
Its shockingly quiet on the highway. I mean, it isn't a luxury car, not even close, and there isn't much in the way of sound deadening, but for its class, its reasonably quiet. You get some tire noise but the aerodynamic shape (which the Prius seems to take after) keeps wind at a reasonable level.

An example of typical econocar engineering would be the 1988 Sentra I owned. Being in that car was as loud as driving with an open top. It didn't rattle or shake, but it howled like a wolf.

Bro-Ham
02-08-11, 07:10 PM
They are great cars! I bought a "V" brand new back in 1992, it was a funky teal green, I had it as a companion car to my 92 Legend L. I took the V on one trip, about 500 miles round trip, it did indeed get 50 MPG, I even had four people in the car!

Back when they were new there was a fascination with the car but not any type of huge demand, I sold the car after only a few months, the buyer wanted a Civic hatchback and wasn't particularly interested in the fact that it was the V - he would have equally liked a CX or DX. All part of the fun! :)