: New DTS owner here...Need help.

bigbluebus2500
02-06-11, 06:23 PM
I recently purchased a 2007 DTS Luxury edition to replace my 05 STS. I needed the 6 passenger seating, otherwise I would've stayed with the STS, since the STS has more features and I prefer RWD.

I have 3 questions:
1)There is a button on the left side of the steering wheel which I have no idea what it's for: it's a circle with an "x" on it. Does anyone know what it's for?

2)Also, the car does not have remaining factory warranty and the check engine light is on: DTC is P2A01, bank 1, sensor 2.

I crawled under this thing and only found one sensor in each exhaust manifold and 1 in the center pipe right after the cat., so a total of 3 o2 sensors, is that correct? Now is bank 1 in the front (radiator side) or rear (firewall side) of the engine. "sensor 2" makes no sense to me as there is only 1 sensor in each manifold that I've found.

3)Does anyone have an owner's manual you could send me in .pdf format for this car?

Thank You.

John

Mark58
02-06-11, 10:07 PM
I can give you an answer to #1 ,, It's your heated steering wheel.

Superjim
02-06-11, 10:50 PM
I recently purchased a 2007 DTS Luxury edition to replace my 05 STS. I needed the 6 passenger seating, otherwise I would've stayed with the STS, since the STS has more features and I prefer RWD.

I have 3 questions:
1)There is a button on the left side of the steering wheel which I have no idea what it's for: it's a circle with an "x" on it. Does anyone know what it's for?

2)Also, the car does not have remaining factory warranty and the check engine light is on: DTC is P2A01, bank 1, sensor 2.

I crawled under this thing and only found one sensor in each exhaust manifold and 1 in the center pipe right after the cat., so a total of 3 o2 sensors, is that correct? Now is bank 1 in the front (radiator side) or rear (firewall side) of the engine. "sensor 2" makes no sense to me as there is only 1 sensor in each manifold that I've found.

3)Does anyone have an owner's manual you could send me in .pdf format for this car?

Thank You.

John

John,

Question 2... I think there are 4 sensors total.
1 in the front manifold... 1 in the rear manifold.. i "BEFORE" the cat and 1 "AFTER" the cat... I "THINK" the bank 1 sensor 2 is the one BEFORE the cat.. but I am not sure of that.

Question 3...I have the owners manual in PDF for my 2006.
It should be the essentially the same as the 2007..
Send me an email address and I will send it to you.
Do you need the "NAV" manual also??

Texas Jim

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 08:30 AM
John,

Question 2... I think there are 4 sensors total.
1 in the front manifold... 1 in the rear manifold.. i "BEFORE" the cat and 1 "AFTER" the cat... I "THINK" the bank 1 sensor 2 is the one BEFORE the cat.. but I am not sure of that.

Question 3...I have the owners manual in PDF for my 2006.
It should be the essentially the same as the 2007..
Send me an email address and I will send it to you.
Do you need the "NAV" manual also??

Texas Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the reply :cool: .

I need a more definite answer to the O2 sensor question. I need to know exactly which sensor is the "bank 1 sensor 2" to make sure it is connected properly. Also, do you know what the ohm reading should be for a good sensor? I figured checking the resistance would be a first step to diagnose it.

About the manual: thanks for the offer. I found another thread here with a link to free online owner's manuals. I'll post it again here in case someone needs one: (cannot post links here, just look for the sticky at beginning of this forum, sorry guys).

I have NAV in my DTS but I don't need the NAV manual since my STS has the nav as well and I'm familiar with the system. Although I will say that the NAV in my '07 Mercedes Sprinter is a much better system than the GM unit.

Thanks again.
John

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 08:31 AM
I can give you an answer to #1 ,, It's your heated steering wheel.

That's NOT the heated steering wheel button, it's the cancel button for the cruise.

I found the manual online.

thanks anyway.

John

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 09:52 AM
http://www.cadillac.com/manuals/
for 2006 and newer

http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/gm/
For your owners manual if your car is older than a 2006 model

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 10:22 AM
Thanks Chris, I had found that already.

I need to know exactly which sensor is the "bank 1 sensor 2" to make sure it is connected properly and has the readings within range. Is that sensor in the manifold (pre-cat) or in the exhaust pipe (post cat)?

Superjim
02-07-11, 11:19 AM
Thanks Chris, I had found that already.

I need to know exactly which sensor is the "bank 1 sensor 2" to make sure it is connected properly and has the readings within range. Is that sensor in the manifold (pre-cat) or in the exhaust pipe (post cat)?

I did a little research and I was wrong about the 4 sensors.
You only have 3 sensors and bank 1 sensor 2 is the POST CAT sensor.
I do not know the ohm range for it.

Jim

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 11:41 AM
I did a little research and I was wrong about the 4 sensors.
You only have 3 sensors and bank 1 sensor 2 is the POST CAT sensor.
I do not know the ohm range for it.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks again...this is great. Now I know where to start.
Ok so I suppose then that bank 2 sensor 2 refers to the same unit. It's GM so now it makes perfect sense.

I'm glad it's not the sensors in the manifolds; I just can't see any way of replacing those without removing the engine. What a terrible design!!!! This engine seems like it was cast in the vehicle. It's so tight, I can't fit my hands anywhere around the engine compartment. I also understand, there's no way to remove that engine by lifting it out the top, it looks like it would have to be dropped out of the bottom, along with subframe, trans, steering, suspension, etc. PITA !!!:mad:

I'm a mechanical engineer, there is NO WAY I would've designed this car this way, if I had the final say in it. But I'm sure the marketing people were the ones pulling the strings and did this on purpose to eliminate the backyard mechanics, do-it-yourselfers, and to make sure cars go back to the dealer for repair work at $200+/hr labor rate.

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 12:46 PM
if you have proper equipment (a vehicle lift) it is actually a lot easier than you think ...

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 12:53 PM
if you have proper equipment (a vehicle lift) it is actually a lot easier than you think ...

I do have a lift...and I can tell you from experience it's not any easier (it's more difficult and takes longer) to drop the entire subframe because of all the extra's that have to be disconnected and reconnected later upon assembly.:hmm:

I've lifted several engines out the top over the years, and one out the bottom; Lifting it out and back in is easier and faster.

TulsaVic
02-07-11, 01:01 PM
Relative to Question 1: It's not for the heated steering wheel. It's the cruise control dis-engage.

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 01:08 PM
I just asked my top N* mech what it usually takes to drop the cradle and he said on average it's about 2.5 hours if he's taking his time and not rushing....

sure he's got a lot of experience (maybe that's what it takes to work on these cars efficiently)

bigbluebus2500
02-07-11, 01:43 PM
I just asked my top N* mech what it usually takes to drop the cradle and he said on average it's about 2.5 hours if he's taking his time and not rushing....

sure he's got a lot of experience (maybe that's what it takes to work on these cars efficiently)

A more accurate way to figure this out would be to check your labor guide for the shop hours to R & R the cradle & engine/trans assembly. I bet you it's much more than 5 hrs. (2.5 x 2). Now I'm curious.

ltdltc
02-07-11, 03:12 PM
Bank 1 Sensor 2 is post cat. I had a damaged harness. Couldn't get it out with the O2 wrench I had. Took it to the shop and he had it off in less time then it takes me getting the jack under the car : | (leveage is what I lacked). It is possib=le to take the engine out from the top, not easy but is doable.

Recommend you get a service manual, wealth of information there. Can get them on eBay pretty, cheap CD of book.

Now I got to tackle my valve cover leaking (had it fixed, leaks again) and crossover gasket.

ltdltc
02-07-11, 03:13 PM
Bank 1 Sensor 2 is post cat. I had a damaged harness. Couldn't get it out with the O2 wrench I had. Took it to the shop and he had it off in less time then it takes me getting the jack under the car : | (leveage is what I lacked). It is possible to take the engine out from the top, not easy but is doable.

Recommend you get a service manual, wealth of information there. Can get them on eBay pretty cheap, CD or book.

Now I got to tackle my valve cover leaking (had it fixed, leaks again) and crossover gasket.

07DTS12801
02-07-11, 09:53 PM
Are you sure it's not warranty stuff?/You do have the balance of the 5yr/100k powertrain warranty if you have less then 100k on it.Would something like this be covered under that?