: Who pays for membership and what does it get you

zero26039
02-06-11, 03:22 PM
I have been a supporting member since i joined. I learned a lot from reading posts, asking questions and meeting other v owners. Paying $50 a year seemed worth it if it would help keep the forum alive.

Is $50 a lot of money for a year? NO. Thats doesn't even fill the gas tank for a week. I still get pop up ads, and flashy advertisements some that i have to turn my speakers off. I get server are over loaded messages and when everything is working, the search function.......... is it even called a useful function?

My post is basically What do I get with membership? I would at least expect the moderators to give some slack to a paying member as they pay there salaries. oh wait they volunteer.

so where does the money go? I think i will save the money for the gas companies instead.

cbloveday
02-06-11, 03:56 PM
I pay for plat stat. My plat stat expired and my siggey went away and adds were flying all over. It drove me crazy. I resigned up the same day.

zero26039
02-06-11, 04:13 PM
What the diff between plat and supporting? I still get annoying ads, are you ad-free

neuronbob
02-06-11, 04:37 PM
It used to be that with Supporting Membership we got far fewer ads, but with the site's software upgrade last year this changed. I've had to resort to using AdBlock for Safari. This has been brought up to the admins before but nothing has changed. I suspect that the site is short-handed on admins and this sort of stuff is a lot of work.

My membership runs out in about a month and I am also mulling whether I should renew. The main reason I paid in the first place is because I received far more benefit than the $50 I spent. I bought my V for thousands off, got to meet Jesse Bubb and have him install stuff on my car at reasonable prices, and saved by using some of the other vendors. I would also like better service from the admins for the money....I've requested several times for my username to be changed, only to get no reply by anyone except Florian, who has tried to be helpful but can't do the deed. Gave up asking.

cbloveday
02-06-11, 04:52 PM
I asked for a username change as well. Nobody responded. I am hesitant to speak freely as EVERYTHING can be found on a google search.

zero26039
02-06-11, 06:10 PM
If the admins don't wake up, they will be left with no one paying for membership, servers crashing and members going elsewhere. It would be nice if someone in charge responded.

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 05:01 PM
Im not sure that your user name can be changed i have asked for this in the past last time was over the summer and i think Rolex said it cant be doen
i don't understand why
almost all the other forums i am on they can change a user name with 2 clicks of a button and what ever letters on the keyboard why they cant do it hear i don't understand
i am a supporting member and i dont really notice anything other then being abel to change my status badge lol

JimmyH
02-07-11, 05:43 PM
This site has 111000 members. There are typically over 1000 people browsing this forum at once. That's big doings folks. Throw 1000 simultaneous hits at any server and see what happens. This one is owned by ONE guy with a day job. Not a corporation with a team of lackeys to watch it. If everyone who came here threw a couple dollars in the kitty, he would be able to buy a shiny new server farm to handle all the requests.

JimmyH
02-07-11, 05:45 PM
If you want your username changed, pm Lord Cadillac, boombotz, or Brett. Only they can change your login name. And they usually only do once, and only for people with low post counts. Changing a login name tends to upset the database if you have a lot of posts.

Lord Cadillac
02-07-11, 06:11 PM
It used to be that with Supporting Membership we got far fewer ads, but with the site's software upgrade last year this changed. I've had to resort to using AdBlock for Safari. This has been brought up to the admins before but nothing has changed. I suspect that the site is short-handed on admins and this sort of stuff is a lot of work.

My membership runs out in about a month and I am also mulling whether I should renew. The main reason I paid in the first place is because I received far more benefit than the $50 I spent. I bought my V for thousands off, got to meet Jesse Bubb and have him install stuff on my car at reasonable prices, and saved by using some of the other vendors. I would also like better service from the admins for the money....I've requested several times for my username to be changed, only to get no reply by anyone except Florian, who has tried to be helpful but can't do the deed. Gave up asking.

Send me a screenshot of the ads you see so I can look into this.. Yes, platinum supporters do see LESS ads. There should be ZERO network ads for platinum supporters. "Supporting Members" do see a few but it shouldn't be very bad. Let me take a look at a screenshot (or a few if you want to send them). Maybe your account isn't configured properly.

Send this and your screen name request to [email removed].

I asked for a username change as well. Nobody responded. I am hesitant to speak freely as EVERYTHING can be found on a google search.

Send your screen name request to the email address I posted up above...

If the admins don't wake up, they will be left with no one paying for membership, servers crashing and members going elsewhere. It would be nice if someone in charge responded.

We're looking into moving to new forum software as we feel this one queries the database about 50 times per page-load more than it should. Page-load speed and uptime has been much worse since we upgraded to this latest version of the forum software. This is why most websites have decided AGAINST upgrading and are still using vBulletin v3.x... We probably should not have upgraded - but the old software had issues as well - mainly due to our excessive use of modifications...

This site has 111000 members. There are typically over 1000 people browsing this forum at once. That's big doings folks. Throw 1000 simultaneous hits at any server and see what happens. This one is owned by ONE guy with a day job. Not a corporation with a team of lackeys to watch it. If everyone who came here threw a couple dollars in the kitty, he would be able to buy a shiny new server farm to handle all the requests.

This is true and we have almost 3000 people browsing the site right now. Almost 2000 in the forums and 1000 elsewhere.. The server is suffering. :o And, yes - this is a very busy site to be owned by one guy - me. Most admins of busy automotive forums have sold them to one of two corporations who've been buying over the past few years. Most busy automotive forums are owned by one of these two companies. They've both contacted me several times with decent offers. I don't plan on selling as this is my hobby but it's been getting more difficult to hold on to over the past couple of years.

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 06:21 PM

Send your screen name request to the email address I posted up above...

what emaila ddress are you speaking of i don't see a email addy posted above

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 06:22 PM
oh wait i found it i figured it you spelled it out the email and all i got it

JimmyH
02-08-11, 02:06 PM

FYI, I am pretty sure the new generation of robots know how to translate this :lol:

Lord Cadillac
02-08-11, 04:30 PM
Damn... I kinda figured that in the back of my mind, but... :(

FYI, I am pretty sure the new generation of robots know how to translate this :lol:

P.S. I have not received any screenshots yet......

Lord Cadillac
02-08-11, 06:03 PM
Several more ads have been removed today. Some from guest view, some from member view and some from supporter view. I'd identified some of the slower loading networks and removed them. I think the speed issue lies more in the hands of the amount of traffic we're getting, however...

Lord Cadillac
02-09-11, 02:41 PM
To note, the "Explore Content" ad links at the bottom of all posts have been removed for Platinum and Supporting members... Over the past couple of weeks, a lot of ads have come out.. Some you may have noticed and some you may have not. This is about all I can do for now...

Jesda
02-10-11, 04:37 AM
Saab Central had to disable search for a while because vB hammers the hell out of the server. The alternative was to leave it on and get "server busy" errors. :/

JimmyH
02-10-11, 04:51 PM
I remember when Maxima.org had no search feature. That was years ago when, it too, was privately owned. I used to love all the newb repetitive posts with the "since i can't search..."

neuronbob
02-12-11, 10:21 AM
Sal, I sent a screen shot and a request to change my username to your email address. I apologize that I haven't sent it sooner as I've been pretty busy with work.

Thanks for addressing our issues as you certainly didn't have to. I do appreciate that you're busy as you've got a day job AND work on the site.

zero26039
02-12-11, 06:25 PM
Sal nice to hear from you. Im glad you were able to remove some ads
Thanks for the resspone

neuronbob
02-12-11, 08:24 PM
To note, the "Explore Content" ad links at the bottom of all posts have been removed for Platinum and Supporting members... Over the past couple of weeks, a lot of ads have come out.. Some you may have noticed and some you may have not. This is about all I can do for now...

Thanks for the change. I did notice (finally). :thumbsup:

neuronbob
02-27-11, 10:49 AM
Still looking for a response to my request for a username change. Thanks!

Lord Cadillac
02-28-11, 01:33 PM
If you sent me an email, I must have missed yet.. Get me one more time...

Still looking for a response to my request for a username change. Thanks!

JimmyH
02-28-11, 03:24 PM
fyi Sal, this is how I post my email address

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/email.gif

I think the bots will have a harder time with that one.

neuronbob
02-28-11, 11:39 PM
Done, thanks!