ThumperPup
02-06-11, 01:33 PM
ok so just like it sounds
what is the single most expensive item on your car that you have ever repaired
just one thing
if you did the work yourself
how much would it have cost you to pay a shop to do it
if you paid a shop what was the total cost
do you think it was a fair price for the amount of work done ?

For me i have had lots of exspensive vehicles lots of exsesively expensive repairs but the one that tops it all was the engine rebuild int his Seville
4035 dollars after taxes

i think it was fair for the work done
however because there was alot to it and it
parts where about 1400 the rest would be fluids and labor
so i think it was a reasonable price

how about your guys

Sevillian273
02-06-11, 01:43 PM
Probably replacing my intake gaskets. I would guess close to $1000 if I took it to a shop. I also painted the manifold and refinished the valve covers. I spent about $100 in materials including the paint.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/merc892003/100_0603.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/merc892003/100_0612.jpg

gary88
02-06-11, 01:56 PM
As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.

Sevillian273
02-06-11, 01:59 PM
They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.

Wow I've never heard of that before. If a mechanic ever tried to charge me for that, I'd tell him to shove it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-11, 02:22 PM
$1165 for a blower motor/resistor in my 1999 Mercedes-Benz S320. The blower motor would intermittently not work, so I had it diagnosed at the M-B dealer I had all my work done at, and they found that the resistor was failing, but it was built into the blower motor as one piece. It was about an $800 part, and about 3.5 hours of labor to access, remove and install the new one. It was gonna be around $1300 total, but I got them to give me some discounts because I was such a frequent and happy customer.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-06-11, 02:31 PM
3200, new transmission for an 2004 SRX AWD

MauiV
02-06-11, 02:35 PM
About $1500 for Maggie rebulid with shipping, gaskets, blah blah blah.

I have traded in cars that needed shocks before so I normally dont fix them, I get rid of them when they start needing stuff and are out of warrenty.

The V may be hitting the bricks soon too if my current trouble is much more than a clogged fuel filter.

orconn
02-06-11, 02:37 PM
As of right now, ~$410 for a new battery from the dealer. They had to reprogram the car to recognize the new battery so it charges accordingly.

Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the day, when ownership of high performance sports cars was relatively affordable we used to laugh at the apparent need that Porsche owners had to spend outrageous amounts of money on the maintenance of their beloved, but overpriced, "wunder" cars. The story went that a Porsche owner when presented with a bill for $65.00 (7 quart oil change on a Jaguar XK ran about $18.00 at the time) for an oil change on his 911, was heard to say "Are you sure that's enough!"

It seems that your BMW dealer is really "guilding his lily" by charging for reprogramming the car to use a factory authorized replacement part that he has already made a substantial profit margin on, not to mention his portion of the highly inflated "book" charge for the installation of the battery! I have long thought they the publics willingness to accept "superior German engineering" had more to do with the fact that they are charged outrageous prices by practitioners of that "black art!"

dkozloski
02-06-11, 02:48 PM
Gary88, I think you have all the makings of a satisfied Porsche owner! Back in the day, when ownership of high performance sports cars was relatively affordable we used to laugh at the apparent need that Porsche owners had to spend outrageous amounts of money on the maintenance of their beloved, but overpriced, "wunder" cars. The story went that a Porsche owner when presented with a bill for $65.00 (7 quart oil change on a Jaguar XK ran about $18.00 at the time) for an oil change on his 911, was heard to say "Are you sure that's enough!"

It seems that your BMW dealer is really "guilding his lily" by charging for reprogramming the car to use a factory authorized replacement part that he has already made a substantial profit margin on, not to mention his portion of the highly inflated "book" charge for the installation of the battery! I have long thought they the publics willingness to accept "superior German engineering" had more to do with the fact that they are charged outrageous prices by practitioners of that "black art!"

Many moons ago friend of mine had a Porsche 1600 Normal. One day it quit running and stranded him in the middle of nowhere. He called me for help and it quickly became evident that the cam had quit turning because the teeth were stripped off the drive gear. A trip to the Porsche/VW dealer produced a quote of around $1000 for a new gear because you had to buy the cam to get it. I told the parts guy that I wasn't born yesterday so sell me a cam drive gear for a VW. The gear was less than $10, fit perfectly, and was made of aluminum instead of Micarta plastic like the original. Porsche owners will buy anything as long as you charge them enough for it.

orconn
02-06-11, 02:48 PM
Not the most I have ever spent on a repair, but certainly the most outrageous amount considering the repair, was the $700.00 (in 1989 dollars) I had to spend to replace the radio antenna ($500.00 was for the part alone) on my Audi 5000S Avant! This car had other repairs for which I was charged truly outrageous prices, but I think the antenna took the cake for the repair that reached most highly into "highway robbery" territory. In those days Porsche?Audi agencies were where one bought and serviced Audi's. So they felt it entirely reasonable to charge (Porsche's outrageous prices parts/labor) for what was actually a glorified VW Passat (VW dealers would not service Audi's at that time, despite the cars being essentially identical (Audi 5000/VW Passat) under the hood. Those Germans really know how to make a buck!

orconn
02-06-11, 02:59 PM
$1165 for a blower motor/resistor in my 1999 Mercedes-Benz S320. The blower motor would intermittently not work, so I had it diagnosed at the M-B dealer I had all my work done at, and they found that the resistor was failing, but it was built into the blower motor as one piece. It was about an $800 part, and about 3.5 hours of labor to access, remove and install the new one. It was gonna be around $1300 total, but I got them to give me some discounts because I was such a frequent and happy customer.

Chad, I consider you a bright young man, but after that, and several other experiences, with the likes of the Mercedes repairs I am truly amazed that you are still a believer in "superior German engineering." To me quality engineering includes the design of a component to be as accessible as possible to be easily maintained and inexpensively repaired as possible. German engineering has never been high on the list of those who have attained those goals. Both the Japanese and Americans engineer products that succeed far better in these important area of car design.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-11, 03:19 PM
Yes, in that area of engineering excellence, the Germans usually fail. But nothing else drives like a German car in good working order. There's a reason they've been the benchmark of engineering for other luxury brands for the last 30 years or so.

ejguillot
02-06-11, 03:28 PM
Most expensive for me? The powertrain refresh on my 2000 STS: headgasket repair with stud kit, replaced the transmission (got one with 70K fewer miles for $350), and for good measure installed a Yank Converters 3000 RPM stall torque converter)

ben.gators
02-06-11, 03:46 PM

I have a friend who purchased a Porsche Boxster as his after retirement car. One day he came late to a meeting and said his car's battery was dead since he left the key on ignition for couple of days. And he continued his speech with an smile on his face: my car is not like the normal cars that you have seen, some special procedure needs to be followed if the battery dies. The battery compartment door is electrical and if battery dies you can not access the battery anymore! Someone should growl underneath with a portable battery, and connect the portable battery somewhere to open the electrical door of battery compartment, and then replace the battery!
The next day I saw him with a 600-700$ bill for battery replacement! And the funny part is he paid the money with an smile on his face and he was so proud of this specicility that his Porsche has, "Battery ompartment door is powered by battery itself!"

billc83
02-06-11, 03:57 PM
I don't even want to tell you how much the replacment engine in my Deville cost.

gary88
02-06-11, 03:59 PM

I could have saved $150 or so by buying a battery at Sam's Club and having a buddy install it, but I like the peace of mind knowing that when it comes to the ridiculously complex electrical system of my car I have everything done properly. Here's a good read that explains how the system works:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200906/ai_n32129310/?tag=content;col1

Audi makes you go through a similar process.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_A8_%284E%29_Battery_Replacement

HAZZARDJOHN
02-06-11, 04:02 PM
As far as one single repair. I guess I have been pretty lucky. Just a Clutch and slave cylinder in my 1991 explorer that I used for plowing. I paid to have it done cause it was winter and the thing went out 20 miles from home. Had to force shift it to get to a repair shop and run stop signs (lots of fun). I think it was like $500.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/ranger/explorer2.jpg

Now if you want to talk about lots of small things then that would be my motor in my 95 Impala. I probably put $2500 into chasing down stupid things the previous owner did, then it spun a bearing and I ended up putting a used motor in.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/P7060592.jpg

^ Believe it or not the dirty engine is the good engine.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/PB240095.jpg

^ Just for fun a pic of the car. Man I miss my Imp and only the good lord knows why. I had it for three years and only drove it 3000 miles because it was always broke.

ben.gators
02-06-11, 04:15 PM
Fortunately during my two year ownership of STS there was no major problem, however there have benn small things here and there ....My single most expensive repair was 398$ for AC leak. AAA shop tested my AC system, located the leak, and replaced the AC line with original part and then charged and sealed the AC system, everything for 398$.

orconn
02-06-11, 04:18 PM
Yes, in that area of engineering excellence, the Germans usually fail. But nothing else drives like a German car in good working order. There's a reason they've been the benchmark of engineering for other luxury brands for the last 30 years or so.

Obviously you haven't driven an Italian car in good working order! When it comes to fun behind the wheel the Italians own the territory! Italian cars make Germans cars feel like the dead, overweight cars they really are. I admit BMW does a very good job of doing what Alfa Romeo does best, but a BMW still isn't the real thing. It is a shame that Italian and French cars have been absent from our marketplace for so long that young enthusiast don't have any experience with them!

memphisrep
02-06-11, 04:31 PM
tranny rebuild on a 2005 nissan Maxima.

drewsdeville
02-06-11, 04:33 PM
Most expensive? Probably trans swap on an '89 Eldo. It was also the most difficult I've done.

Playdrv4me
02-06-11, 04:47 PM
3200, new transmission for an 2004 SRX AWD

The '07 'Lade is a higher mileage one and right after we bought it the trans had some issues. Took it in and it ended up being diagnosed as something about a pressure control solenoid failure which in turn caused excess pressure in the trans and took out some kind of piston assembly. These repairs alone were 3k so 3200 for a WHOLE transmission doesn't sound all that bad anymore these days! It was just barely covered under the extended warranty which has now more than paid for itself fortunately.

OffThaHorseCEO
02-06-11, 04:50 PM
The '07 'Lade is a higher mileage one and right after we bought it the trans had some issues. Took it in and it ended up being diagnosed as something about a pressure control solenoid failure which in turn caused excess pressure in the trans and took out some kind of piston assembly. These repairs alone were 3k so 3200 for a WHOLE transmission doesn't sound all that bad anymore these days! It was just barely covered under the extended warranty which has now more than paid for itself fortunately.

i know but who likes to shell out the price of a good used small car just for a part lol. i only paid 3200 for my allante dang!

I got a few quotes and the guy who came highly recommended said 3200 for a new trans with 3 year warranty. i thought it sounded kinda high so i shopped around, everyone else wanted 3800 for a REBUILD. i went with the new

EChas3
02-06-11, 04:59 PM

I believe this BMW service also includes a complete electrical system check. It's still outrageous but there is some value that isn't obvious.

ThumperPup
02-06-11, 05:07 PM

I don't get this iethere wow that was alot
i have a friend who has a 2007 5 series and he had to get a battery ones i remmebr him telling me the outragous amount that the dealer charged for the battery itself but didnt say antying about needing it to be reprogrammed is this liek this on all the BMW's that are newer ?
or just some models

ThumperPup
02-06-11, 05:17 PM

Id have to agree with this statment
its true
atleast in what i have experienced i know that i have never driven a Mercedes or known anyone who has owned one that caused trouble
the lady who lives next door to me has a 1988 SEL model she must have lucked out it hasnt had to have anyting other then normal service since sh owned it she said
not one thing has ever broken on it

i think they are great cars all exsept for the ML if i where to ever buy a Mercedes with my own money i dont care what it would be aslong as its not a ML i think those are crappy built vehicles for Mercredes

ThumperPup
02-06-11, 05:20 PM
Most expensive for me? The powertrain refresh on my 2000 STS: headgasket repair with stud kit, replaced the transmission (got one with 70K fewer miles for $350), and for good measure installed a Yank Converters 3000 RPM stall torque converter)

what was the cost of the headgasket repari with the stud kit u do it yourself or pay someone to do it ?

Jesda
02-06-11, 05:31 PM
The mechanical restoration of the Saab was over three grand.

As for single repairs, the $1300 timing chain guide on the Q45 was the most expensive. The pulley and front cover of the engine had to be removed. To save money, I took it to a NICO forum member in Iowa and had him do it in his garage. Had a great time too! He lived on a buffalo ranch with his dad and they treated me to a steak.

http://www.q45.org/jesda/iowa.html

http://www.q45.org/iowa/iowa017.jpg
Old broken plastic guides pictured on the right.

ThumperPup
02-06-11, 05:37 PM
I don't even want to tell you how much the replacment engine in my Deville cost.

was it a rebuilt remaned new at time from dealer Jasper new from GM when they where still making them new ?
come on how mouch

5k 6k ?

Destroyer
02-06-11, 08:55 PM
I have an excellent track record with the used cars I buy. Out of the gazillion cars I've had, the most "would be" expensive repair would have been on my '98 Deville when the H/G issue occurred. Gladly I got rid of the POS and did not do the repair (this was pre-Jake) but I had already done many repairs to it by that point. If I pay anything less than $10k for a car I am happy to get 50k or so miles out of it. If it dies or starts giving problems I 'd junk it and feel I made out ok in usage.

96Fleetwood
02-06-11, 09:12 PM
$2,400 for the upgraded clutch replacement on my 1989 Porsche 944 S2... I loved driving that car but hated the upkeep.

ewill3rd
02-07-11, 08:08 AM
An XLR that someone left something in the trunk in and opened the top.
It bent, broke, and damaged hardware and paint. I think the total bill was close to $10,000.

Next might be an XLR that someone put a cheap knock of fuse in. Some company was marketing them a while back, they don't blow. It melted about 10 feet of harness that required replacement of the entire body harness from the underhood fuse block to the rear bumper. I have pictures of that somewhere, it took me almost a week and I forget how much the harness was but it was probably about $1,200 by itself.

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 10:38 AM
An XLR that someone left something in the trunk in and opened the top.
It bent, broke, and damaged hardware and paint. I think the total bill was close to $10,000.

Next might be an XLR that someone put a cheap knock of fuse in. Some company was marketing them a while back, they don't blow. It melted about 10 feet of harness that required replacement of the entire body harness from the underhood fuse block to the rear bumper. I have pictures of that somewhere, it took me almost a week and I forget how much the harness was but it was probably about $1,200 by itself.

wow was that top one covered by insurance ?
or did you not make a claim and just pay cash for it ?

ewill3rd
02-07-11, 01:17 PM
Long story, it was actually done under warranty.

ThumperPup
02-07-11, 01:21 PM
oh wow thats cool

Aron9000
02-08-11, 02:15 AM
Biggest expense was an auto trans rebuild on my old 1999 Z28 Camaro. It had about 115k on it and started slipping like any good old 4l60e. I didn't really abuse it either, just gave it healthy f-body useage, ie probably 10-15 brake stands, about 1-2 WOT throttle launches every week or so, maybe about 10-20 trips down the quarter mile. $1900

I have an excellent track record with the used cars I buy. Out of the gazillion cars I've had, the most "would be" expensive repair would have been on my '98 Deville when the H/G issue occurred. Gladly I got rid of the POS and did not do the repair (this was pre-Jake) but I had already done many repairs to it by that point. If I pay anything less than $10k for a car I am happy to get 50k or so miles out of it. If it dies or starts giving problems I 'd junk it and feel I made out ok in usage.

You sir are a poor miser compared to my dad. Back in 2000 he bought a 1988 Toyota truck, 2wd, 5 speed, reg cab no option sort of deal for $3500, 75k old lady miles. Got him out of a huge payment on his 1998 T100, which already had like 70k miles on it from his ridiculously long commute at the time. He sold that truck with 180k miles on it in 2004 for $2000 to a family friend. Only problem he had was the a/c needing a recharge, brakes, tires, and a tuneup. Pretty sure he didn't spend more than $1200-1300 on total repair/maintenance costs on that damn truck. I know why he drove that little tin can years later, he saved a ton of $$$$ for me and my sister's college fund.

Funny thing is that truck is still being driven to this day by his friend's son. I saw it last year, they had it repainted after a minor collision a couple years ago. Thing looks like a million bucks and had 270k on it at that time, they even put back on that oh so 80's SR5 side stripe that it originally came with. I asked them if they wanted to sell that little truck back to me, they told me sorry, but HELL NO!!!!

Koooop
02-09-11, 12:31 AM
$55,000 (or so) to put my Vette back together after the great fire of 2007.

Thank you Allstate!

Aron9000
02-09-11, 01:40 AM

Thank you Allstate!

What year is your Vette? Pics?

ben.gators
02-09-11, 02:09 AM

Thank you Allstate!

Back together? You mean 55k repairs and it was not totaled?!
And how much your next insurance premium increased after filing such a big claim?

Playdrv4me
02-09-11, 04:32 AM
And how much your next insurance premium increased after filing such a big claim?

LOL, seeing as how a brand new one costs about the same amount, I think he was being sarcastic Ben.

ben.gators
02-09-11, 05:03 AM
^
I hope so!

Stingroo
02-09-11, 12:51 PM
Reading this thread makes me feel like Drew.

In my relatively (okay, extremely) simple wagon, the most expensive repair I've gone through was $150 to pay someone to rebuild the steering column because I didn't think I could do it successfully.

Other than maintenence items, I've put nothing into it (tires, oil changes, wiper blades, other fluids, and rear brakes).

drewsdeville
02-09-11, 02:18 PM
Yeah yeah. I know, I'm the forum cheapskate.

But yeah, low cost of operation is really something you can appreciate at our age where resources are limited and you are trying (hopefully) to establish yourself for an easier/happier road ahead, leading to an early-as-possible retirement. Right now, for me, it's more about needs than wants. Wants will come later down the road.

I can appreciate a nicer/better car just as much as the next guy, but it's nothing important to me at this point in my life. Until my '90 stops serving it's purpose (cheap-to-own transportation), or if my needs change, I will continue to use it.

BTW, what was the steering column rebuilt for. Theft attempt?

ryannel2003
02-09-11, 03:31 PM
I really haven't had any major problems with my car, I've had small things like the radiator and the A/C go out at the same time that combined cost nearly $1000 to fix. I don't do any repairs on my own car mainly because if I did I would most likely set the damn thing on fire. With the car within miles of closing in on 100k, I'm going to have to start replacing thing like struts and other suspension parts.

iametarq
02-09-11, 04:35 PM
This thread is a hilarious read. I have been convinced to never buy a BMW or Audi. Needing to program a battery? That is just ridiculous, its a car, not a space shuttle. I bet the space shuttle doesn't even need that.

My most expensive repair to date is the HG job on the 98 Deville. $3114.95 at the dealership.

http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20deville/engine/.cache/499x640-Kring%20Head%20Gasket%20Repair.png

00 Deville
02-09-11, 04:42 PM
I had a Porsche dealer quote me $6100 for a new PCM for a 99 Boxster... I was able to find a used one on Ebay for $325.

Stingroo
02-09-11, 04:58 PM
Yeah yeah. I know, I'm the forum cheapskate.

But yeah, low cost of operation is really something you can appreciate at our age where resources are limited and you are trying (hopefully) to establish yourself for an easier/happier road ahead, leading to an early-as-possible retirement. Right now, for me, it's more about needs than wants. Wants will come later down the road.

I can appreciate a nicer/better car just as much as the next guy, but it's nothing important to me at this point in my life. Until my '90 stops serving it's purpose (cheap-to-own transportation), or if my needs change, I will continue to use it.

BTW, what was the steering column rebuilt for. Theft attempt?

No no, I agree with you. It's just that you're the one who normally sings the praises of easy to operate, and in this thread, I can see why.

Not a theft attempt. Forgive my layman's terms, but the rod that allows the wheel to tilt and lets the key still turn regardless of where the wheel is broke, so I couldn't turn the key but I could still tilt the wheel. I found a 50k mile 9C1 in the junkyard and took the column from it, and one of my dad's friends swapped over all of the pieces in it.

I'm still pissed the most that that 9C1 didn't have its instrument panel or dash board. I wanted that damn dash surround. :(

Koooop
02-10-11, 12:45 AM

First off, I meant the great fire of 1997...

Yeah, $55,000 and it certainly should have been totaled. It's a 1969 L48 t-Top (350ci/300hp) car with just a few options. But my Dad bought the car new and at the time of the fire it was in showroom condition with receipts for repairs going back decades and I had just completed a complete and very extensive mechanical restoration ('cept for the Transmission which caused the fire). I used an independent adjuster, he just kicked the snot out of the insurance company.

The claim was comprehensive so my rates didn't go up a Dime.

I'll put up a picture tomorrow, it's nothing more than a real clean old Vette.

Koooop
02-10-11, 12:52 AM
Years ago I had a bad BMUU habit, early M cars were so much fun to drive. They cost SO friggin' much to keep on the road. So I bought a Maserati, it cost about 1/3 to keep on the road vs. the BMUU of the day.

Koooop
02-10-11, 01:22 AM
This car was a huge mess, it was a task to bring her back from the dead.

Playdrv4me
02-10-11, 01:38 AM
Years ago I had a bad BMUU habit, early M cars were so much fun to drive. They cost SO friggin' much to keep on the road. So I bought a Maserati, it cost about 1/3 to keep on the road vs. the BMUU of the day.

With the exception of my 745i, my BMW experience has been nothing if not reliable. They're some of the best cars I've owned. Hell, even the 2003 Range Rover I had, which is basically a stretched X5 with an air suspension was well behaved outside of little things.

Aron9000
02-10-11, 03:05 AM
With the exception of my 745i, my BMW experience has been nothing if not reliable. They're some of the best cars I've owned. Hell, even the 2003 Range Rover I had, which is basically a stretched X5 with an air suspension was well behaved outside of little things.

See my whole problem with German cars is even if they are reliable, when that one random sensor or whatever goes bad, bam, $500 minimum repair bill.

I know Chad mentioned the blower motor on his 99 S-class going out and costing $1100 to fix. The one on my 91 Brougham went bad as well. I went down to NAPA, walked out with my part minus $20. The blower motor sits right up on top of the cowl next the windshield. Took 15 minutes for me to unbolt a few bolts and put in a new one.

Just something about ANY car once it reaches past the age of 10 years it might require some sort of small repairs, no matter how well maintained or the miles. Just something about German parts and labor being 55 times more expensive like the example I gave is the SINGLE reason I won't own any newer German car. Although I really would like something more basic like Rick's E30 BMW

Jesda
02-10-11, 03:16 AM
Oh yeah, Rick. Havent heard from him since I talked to him in December

Playdrv4me
02-10-11, 06:09 AM
See my whole problem with German cars is even if they are reliable, when that one random sensor or whatever goes bad, bam, $500 minimum repair bill.

I know Chad mentioned the blower motor on his 99 S-class going out and costing $1100 to fix. The one on my 91 Brougham went bad as well. I went down to NAPA, walked out with my part minus $20. The blower motor sits right up on top of the cowl next the windshield. Took 15 minutes for me to unbolt a few bolts and put in a new one.

Just something about ANY car once it reaches past the age of 10 years it might require some sort of small repairs, no matter how well maintained or the miles. Just something about German parts and labor being 55 times more expensive like the example I gave is the SINGLE reason I won't own any newer German car. Although I really would like something more basic like Rick's E30 BMW

That's the difference between MB and BMW, or at least it WAS until the major changes began in the newest models. Parts for the E30, E36 and E46 3 Series and all the 5 Series up to the E39 are dirt cheap and in fact in some cases were cheaper than equivalent Cadillac parts. Even the E38 7 isn't nearly as bad as the W140 S Class.

Sevillian273
02-10-11, 06:37 AM
I had a Porsche dealer quote me $6100 for a new PCM for a 99 Boxster... I was able to find a used one on Ebay for $325.

That reminds me... Heres an 'expensive' fix:

The vacuum-fluorescent display in my '90

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/merc892003/100_0334.jpg

GM price: $1750.

$53 on Ebay

Took about 10 min to R&R but probably would have been an hour book time in a shop. Add on whatever profit they would want to make off the part and I'd guess about $2000 out the door. Man, I am in the wrong business.....

orconn
02-10-11, 12:03 PM

Perhaps it is that you do not own any car long enough to experience the problems many of have.

gary88
02-10-11, 02:01 PM
Everybody will have their unique experience with their own particular car. The definition of "reliable" can vary from person to person, some think anything more than scheduled oil changes is unreliable, others come to expect a certain level of necessary repairs and plan accordingly. The reality though is no German car is particularly reliable in respect to what Americans have come to consider "reliable" since the introduction of later model Japanese cars. Not saying that German cars shouldn't be reliable, but their engineering philosophy is different, and that benefit is seen in the unique driving experience over other brands. Additionally as the more complex a car becomes, the chance of something failing also rises, hence the complaints on all car forums of all brands about problems and debatable reliability. Reliability is somewhat relative and one's level of tolerance is personal. My car puts a huge smile on my face every single time I get in it and that's well worth the cost of ownership for me. Luckily aside from the battery going bad (which was mostly my fault from not keeping it on a tender last winter) and my mechatronics sealing sleeve leaking (fixed under warranty), I haven't had any other problems in close to two years now, and I will continue to stick to German cars until I can afford Italian :thumbsup:

Playdrv4me
02-10-11, 07:39 PM
Perhaps it is that you do not own any car long enough to experience the problems many of have.

I've owned most of these cars 15-25,000 miles. I've had some cars that have been horrible in that time frame, and others that have been flawless. With as many as I've had, I consider that more than sufficient timing to give a car a real test.

I also tend to buy my used cars with significant numbers of miles already on them with a few exceptions, I also usually obtain service histories so I have some idea about how the car had behaved if it had been my own. The Range Rover for example already had 86k on it when I bought it in 2008 and was no more troublesome for the original owner than it was for me.

drewsdeville
02-10-11, 08:28 PM
I've owned most of these cars 15-25,000 miles... I consider that more than sufficient timing to give a car a real test.
:confused:

Then wtf were we arguing about Vic vs Impala reliability for? If true reliability can be determined in as little as 15k miles, the Impala is definitely every bit as reliable as the Vic. Hell, they could be successfully enforcing the law using Sebrings!

Playdrv4me
02-10-11, 09:02 PM
:confused:

Then wtf were we arguing about Vic vs Impala reliability for? If true reliability can be determined in as little as 15k miles, the Impala is definitely every bit as reliable as the Vic. Hell, they could be successfully enforcing the law using Sebrings!

What the hell does how long I own a car have to do with the proven reliability or lack there-of in an environment with heavy abuse by a group that relies on these vehicles on a daily basis? For that matter, how can you or I make valid arguments on any car we don't own? We take the data that others have generated and apply it as necessary. Trust me, you can still incur a LOT of cost and frustration with the wrong car in 30k. I usually respect your opinion, but that post was a little absurd, even for you.

drewsdeville
02-10-11, 09:24 PM
I love it when people give me an opportunity to use this. Many hate it dearly:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Heavensword/picard-facepalm.jpg

You could also incur a lot of cost and frustration within 5k, no problem. The point is that the shorter the duration, the less likely failure will occur. Personally, I'm with Orconn on this one. I don't feel that's even close to being long enough for a machine to show it's true colors...partly because reliability of a machine is also a function of age. 15-25k miles is barely even two years for many people, based on the average miles-per-year for a typical vehicle (what is it now, 12k?).

Playdrv4me
02-10-11, 09:29 PM
I love it when people give me an opportunity to use this. Many hate me dearly:

Fixed. :bouncy:

drewsdeville
02-10-11, 09:37 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/4/oh_snap.jpg

Stingroo
02-10-11, 09:49 PM
Ian's trollin'.

orconn
02-10-11, 11:38 PM
What the hell does how long I own a car have to do with the proven reliability or lack there-of in an environment with heavy abuse by a group that relies on these vehicles on a daily basis? For that matter, how can you or I make valid arguments on any car we don't own? We take the data that others have generated and apply it as necessary. Trust me, you can still incur a LOT of cost and frustration with the wrong car in 30k. I usually respect your opinion, but that post was a little absurd, even for you.

Frustration perhaps, but cost unlikely given the new car warrantys that the better brands have come with over the last fifteen years. My Alfa came with a 48 month and 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ion 1992. While nor covered when I bought them, the Sevilles originally came with 4 years and 50k miles. Frustration is one thing, paying for repairs when out of warranty leads to a more extreme for of frustration! If buying used cars with mileage or age past warranty coverage it is quite likely the first owner had many of the vehicles defects under warranty, so the next buyer was left with only nigly repairs till he passed the car on to the next buyer when it was past 100k miles.

Then there is the "guardian angel" effect that some people experience with certain cars, or cars in general. I have never had any major problems with any of the Jaguars that I have owned since my first one, the 1958 XK 150 bought in 1964! Even with the relatively short warranties given on new cars in the 1970's and '80's I never really had other than small things like broken Lucas switches or a rusted expansion tank go wrong with any of them. Cadillacs have also been very good to me over the years. Of course, each car was rotated out of my ownership at the most every three years!

Playdrv4me
02-11-11, 12:16 AM
Frustration perhaps, but cost unlikely given the new car warrantys that the better brands have come with over the last fifteen years. My Alfa came with a 48 month and 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty ion 1992. While nor covered when I bought them, the Sevilles originally came with 4 years and 50k miles. Frustration is one thing, paying for repairs when out of warranty leads to a more extreme for of frustration! If buying used cars with mileage or age past warranty coverage it is quite likely the first owner had many of the vehicles defects under warranty, so the next buyer was left with only nigly repairs till he passed the car on to the next buyer when it was past 100k miles.

Then there is the "guardian angel" effect that some people experience with certain cars, or cars in general. I have never had any major problems with any of the Jaguars that I have owned since my first one, the 1958 XK 150 bought in 1964! Even with the relatively short warranties given on new cars in the 1970's and '80's I never really had other than small things like broken Lucas switches or a rusted expansion tank go wrong with any of them. Cadillacs have also been very good to me over the years. Of course, each car was rotated out of my ownership at the most every three years!

Like you said, the cost factor depends on when the warranty runs out. In most cases my cars are past the warranty either for time or mileage. Sometimes however, I do purchase an extended warranty, but that's still a cost.

iametarq
02-11-11, 10:15 AM
I guess I could argue that reliability is defined as, has the car ever left you stranded or if you drive it do you think you will be? I've only had 1 car leave me stranded and it was at 230,000 miles on a 89 Deville that had its water pump seal fail on I-94. Then I had my Chrysler start leaking its coolant from the water pump seal at 75000 miles on I-75 but I made it home before any overheating started.

I've never had my Seville leave us stranded.

justin4yu
02-22-11, 03:35 AM
Yeah nobody wants to know!

DouglasJRizzo
02-22-11, 09:24 AM
I've been most fortunate to have vehicles that have been long lived and relatively trouble free. The only car that was ever a pain was the '84 Pontiac Trans Am I bought brand new. I sold it with 20k on the clock, hating every mile.

I put an engine in a 98 Park Avenue, cost me about $5k. Got about 100k from that Jasper replacement before it went. Other than that, all of my rides have been trouble free. I had a 78 LTD that went 300k before expiring. An 80 Fleetwood Brougham that went 330k and a 92 Caprice that went 307k.

trickedcadillac91
02-22-11, 09:51 AM
Full engine swap in my 92 honda accord after catastrophic engine failure when the timing belt broke at the track.

piston meet my friend head
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8df11b3127ccec3687837382200000010O00AbOW7Fo0cOG IPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

oh and my other friend valve
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8df11b3127ccec369bda1580200000010O00AbOW7Fo0cOG IPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

$1000 and 2 nights of work later ...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8da00b3127ccec3bf86b9f49700000010O00AbOW7Fo0cOG IPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

toltal i spent $800 on a new engine and $200 on various other little parts such as plugs, fluids, tune up parts .... where at a shop it would have easily run $3000+

I will say I didnt do ALL the work myself I had a good friend helping me so we had the old motor out in roughly an hour then spent a day prepping, cleaning and swapping over accesory parts. After that we took our time reinstalling.

airportwv
02-22-11, 09:45 PM
Ecm $1.300 2006 cts 3.6

ThumperPup
02-23-11, 12:01 AM
wow 1300 for a ECM couldnt find a used one ? not covered under warranty ?