: Auto-dimming left outer mirror

mrl859
02-06-11, 09:36 AM
Just picked up a 2011 SRX Performance yesterday. According to all literature, it should have an auto dimming driver's side outer mirror. Mine doesn't seem to. At least, it didn't darken like the inner reaview mirror or like my other vehicles with the same option. Also, all other auto-dimming mirroros have a "ring" around the perimeter of the glass which contains the electro-chromic portion. Both of my outside mirrors look identical. Did I get a mis-build? Help?

sube5186
02-06-11, 11:29 AM
Just picked up a 2011 SRX Performance yesterday. According to all literature, it should have an auto dimming driver's side outer mirror. Mine doesn't seem to. At least, it didn't darken like the inner reaview mirror or like my other vehicles with the same option. Also, all other auto-dimming mirroros have a "ring" around the perimeter of the glass which contains the electro-chromic portion. Both of my outside mirrors look identical. Did I get a mis-build? Help?

Normally, both mirrors look identical. The ring you're referring to is only visible under certain lighting conditions. Sometimes I see it. Other times I don't. I haven't cared enough to pinpoint exactly which times produce which results. As far as I can tell, the feature works pretty seamlessly. That is, you don't see it dimming. It only dims when headlights are present and it reacts instantaneously. If another vehicle is on your ass at night and their lights aren't blinding you, you know it's working.

Trust me. You have it.

Sube

Marc NY
02-06-11, 12:31 PM
Just picked up a 2011 SRX Performance yesterday. According to all literature, it should have an auto dimming driver's side outer mirror. Mine doesn't seem to. At least, it didn't darken like the inner rear view mirror or like my other vehicles with the same option. Also, all other auto-dimming mirrors have a "ring" around the perimeter of the glass which contains the electrochromic portion. Both of my outside mirrors look identical. Did I get a mis-build? Help?If both of your mirrors look clear and the driver's side mirror does not have a blue cast to it you may have gotten one without the auto dimming mode. My driver's side has a blue cast with a clear outer ring mask around the edges. I don't know why GM decided to use that style of mirror. I have an SSR that doesn't show blue until night time and a rear light hits the mirror. For some reason I find the SRX's mirror somewhat annoying when I have a rear car headlight come across the clear line into the blue zone and then go back through to clear again. I wish they would have used a full blue coverage coating of film on their mirrors.

*Red arrows shows clear areas and Blue arrow shows tinted mask area.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/DSC_4575Mirror.jpg

mrl859
02-06-11, 01:02 PM
After review, I do have it. When looking at it in the correct light, I can see the ring, althought it doesn't look blue. My biggest concern is why it doesn't darken as much as the center rearview. In my other vehicles, they always seemed to dim and brighten together. It still looked clear when the center rearview mirror was quite dark. Also, again realize I've had it for 22 hours, there is clunking in the rear when driving as if gas were bouncing around in the tank. Comments about the mirror operation or the sound?

cam30era
02-06-11, 01:13 PM
I can hear fuel "sloshing" around in the tank, between about 1/4 and 3/4 tank. But I wouldn't describe it as a clunking sound. Every "open" type vehicle (crossover, station wagon, etc.) that I have owned has exhibited this.

If you are hearing a clunking sound, it might warrant a return to the dealer.

mrl859
02-06-11, 01:31 PM
I can hear fuel "sloshing" around in the tank, between about 1/4 and 3/4 tank. But I wouldn't describe it as a clunking sound. Every "open" type vehicle (crossover, station wagon, etc.) that I have owned has exhibited this.

If you are hearing a clunking sound, it might warrant a return to the dealer.

It's more of a soft thud. I don't believe it's a problem, just a curiousity.

cam30era
02-06-11, 01:59 PM
Yes, that's a good description of what I hear.

Smokin' SRX
02-11-11, 12:16 AM
Great pix Marc. excell detail

mrl859, best wishes with the new X! The gas thunking sound is normal on many crossovers. Keep tank full :-) Pls consider adding model/options to your Profile description. Helps with answering questions.

SS

mrl859
02-11-11, 02:21 PM
Thanks everybody for all your help. Yeah, it works fine :owned:. Marc:The clear ring around the electro-chromic portion also exists on my Chrysler mini-van casuing the same in/out effect with car's headlights. I never noticed that before. Smokin:I'll add details to my profile.