: Just got a used CTS-V and have a few questions.....

gshaffer71
02-05-11, 02:24 AM
I just picked up a 2005 CTS-V with 50k on it. I am new to this type of car but pretty sabby when it comes to mechanics. Its cold hear so I have not had a chance to further inspect the car but noticed there are afew things now that are concerning me. after the engine warms up and letting the clutch out in 1st without any accel pedal there seems to be a slight vibration or rattle like sound. Is this normal? My first high HP motor. Shifting out of first when close to redline there is a thump......I just assumed either I'm shifting bad or there is a tremedous amount of torque that this engine puts out and maybe not to do that.
It's only in first.
Aside from that I notice that there is a knock of something loose in the front end when I hit bumps in the road at lower speeds. I am pretty sure its the struts but want an opinion or two.
How hard is i to replace the clutch yourself in this car. I wonder if that rattle or vibe is the throwout bearing.

I know its hard to tell without being in the car, just looking for a few opinions of owner that may have had the same problem.
Who know how hard the previous owners drove this car? But if I was a betting man, I'd bet it wasn't mildly....

ctsvdubbz
02-05-11, 04:05 AM
i have an 05 cts v.. motor mounts are a big thing that go wrong with these.. mine has the same vibration in the front also and i haveant figured that out yet... urethane motor mounts are a must.. thats def my next upgrade... the guys on the forum forsure will help u out but its mostly engine mounts n bushings that need to be upgraded.. its hard to stuff a corvette engine in a four door car and try and get luxury and horse power all at the same time.. without having a few flaws... when u start it up does it vibrate.. n shutting it off too prolly has some vibration??

Mystical_Ice
02-05-11, 01:18 PM
as a 4 year owner of a 2005 CTS-V, i can probably answer some of your questions -

The 'knocking' when you go over bumps is, in fact, your front shocks. Had the same problem several years ago, replaced the shocks, and the noise disappeared. Now, a few years later, the same problem is beginning to occur again.

The 'clunk' when you shift out at high speeds is probably normal. I'm not too technical, so I probably won't do a good job explaining it, but to my understanding, when you disengage the clutch (shift to another gear) at high RPMs, there's a lot of torque built up in the drive train, and the drive shaft bushing is made of rubber or something like that, so it has some 'play' in it. with all that torque suddenly gone, and that's what the clunk is.

also with the vibration/rattle, my car's done that since day 1 that i've owned it when the clutch is cold. the first three or four times after i shift, the vibration disappears. is yours like that too? if not, i don't think you'd need a new clutch, probably just some work on your clutch system - maybe bleeding it? someone will post here and confirm it though

rand49er
02-05-11, 04:39 PM
Good ideas, above ... Gshaffer71, where do you live? I mean, it's cold all over the darn place ... need to pin that down a bit and maybe get a current owner to have a look see.

leosul@verizon.net
02-05-11, 06:35 PM
I just picked up a 2005 CTS-V with 50k on it. I am new to this type of car but pretty sabby when it comes to mechanics. Its cold hear so I have not had a chance to further inspect the car but noticed there are afew things now that are concerning me. after the engine warms up and letting the clutch out in 1st without any accel pedal there seems to be a slight vibration or rattle like sound. Is this normal? My first high HP motor. Shifting out of first when close to redline there is a thump......I just assumed either I'm shifting bad or there is a tremedous amount of torque that this engine puts out and maybe not to do that.
It's only in first.
Aside from that I notice that there is a knock of something loose in the front end when I hit bumps in the road at lower speeds. I am pretty sure its the struts but want an opinion or two.
How hard is i to replace the clutch yourself in this car. I wonder if that rattle or vibe is the throwout bearing.

I know its hard to tell without being in the car, just looking for a few opinions of owner that may have had the same problem.
Who know how hard the previous owners drove this car? But if I was a betting man, I'd bet it wasn't mildly....

I noticed someone was selling a brand new complete set of upgrade struts/shocks in the classified section of this forum for $1100 with free shipping. Same price GM charged to put on a brand new V for these years.

MikeV
02-06-11, 12:02 AM
Clunk of any kind is not normal. It's the motor mounts. Stock they're only good for maybe 10K miles. Replace them with CS mounts (search) and you'll tighten it up and power will feel like a light switch on/off. Ditch that stock shifter (for PISNUOFF version), run some amsoil ATD in the tranny and check your clutch fluid (10 bucks says it's filthy and low.). Then you'll be loving it.

PISNUOFF
02-06-11, 10:15 AM
There are several items that could cause that vibration and driveline clunk. Yes, the motor mounts go bad and seem to he the leading cause for everything on this forum right now (if your heated seat doesn't work you need to change your motor mounts). I had one bad one and it didn't cause any clunking or shifting issues. The first place to look for the clunk is the bushing at the front of the differential. It is most likely worn out and should be replaced with an aftermarket one. The vibration and a portion of your clunking is most likely caused by the dual mass flywheel. Definitely flush the clutch fluid and it's a good idea to fill your trans with some amsoil torquedrive synthetic ATF. I also recommend one of my short shifters.

Your clunking over bumps could either be the sway bar or a worn out strut.

Gishdream
02-06-11, 06:01 PM
Subbed for later. I just bought one also and I am about to change most of the fluids. I guess I will take a look at the Motor Mounts also. Anything else that I should take a gander at?