: Introduction and a little desperate for a fix

Donald Merrill
02-04-11, 12:32 AM
Let me start off by saying, Hello everybody, I hope your caddies are in better shape then mine. I have a 94 deville, for the past few weeks it has been accelerating very sluggish, and the car shakes a lot. Once in a while it will drive perfectly, but only for a bit. Just yesterday the car decided to quite shifting. By this I mean it would accelerate through first and into second. Nothing after second. The car shifts into park and reverse just fine, but once put into drive it reacts awfully. the car will not shift out of second even if manually shifted to first.

mhamilton
02-04-11, 11:23 AM
What engine does your car have, the 4.9 or the N*? Either way, I believe your car has an electronic controlled transmission, so I would suggest pulling the codes with the on-board diagnostics and see if you have any shift solenoid problems.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/138258-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

Check your codes, then look up the definitions and post back here.

Donald Merrill
02-04-11, 12:41 PM
these are the codes, I also got a no SIR on the screen
P029 (E029) .............. Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear
P056 (E056) ........................................ Transmission Input Speed Sensor
P070 (E070) ................................................ Intermittent TPS Signal
P086 (E086) ................... Undefined Gear Ratio (Transmission Pressure Control)
P094 (E094) ............ Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
P119 (E119) .......................................... Open or Shorted Fuel Injector
A012 ........................................... Low Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
A011 .......................................... High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
T037 ........................................ LR Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault
S036 ...................... Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open
S044 .................................................. ... Lift or Dive Signal Fault
PCM?

Donald Merrill
02-04-11, 12:47 PM
Sorry it's the 4.9 liter

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 01:05 PM
i see you already have another thread on this ... big 'no-no'

try and keep one thread per issue/problem

maybe a mod can merge the two threads?

Donald Merrill
02-04-11, 01:12 PM
Very sorry. In the first thread I was told to se the technical issues section, so I did, won't happen again.

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 01:53 PM
no worries... these kinds of things happen... you live and you learn :)
and by the way...
:welcome:

mhamilton
02-04-11, 02:14 PM
Wow, there's a big list of codes!

Okay so the 4.9 will have the 4T60-E auto, just for reference.

P029 (E029) .............. Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear
P056 (E056) ........................................ Transmission Input Speed Sensor
P086 (E086) ................... Undefined Gear Ratio (Transmission Pressure Control)
P094 (E094) ............ Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

These will be the transmission problem, for sure. With all of those at once, I would lean heavily toward the transmission harness being disconnected or damaged. I'm not sure where it's located on your model, but if you look under the car see if you can find a large connector on the trans. Unplug it and check the condition of the connectors. If that doesn't do it, the harness inside the trans may be damaged. It may also be that the A and B shift solenoids may be bad. This was an issue on the 4T80-E autos, but I'm not sure how similar the repair is on your trans.

P070 (E070) ................................................ Intermittent TPS Signal
P119 (E119) .......................................... Open or Shorted Fuel Injector

These could be causing the poor running/acceleration. You should be able to check the fuel injectors with an ohmmeter for opens or shorts. The TPS (throttle position switch) is easy to replace as well, and they wear out.

drewsdeville
02-04-11, 02:17 PM
Delete.

postman2000
02-05-11, 02:24 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but the 94 Seville was only available with the Northstar. Your choice was either the SLS with the Y code or the STS with the 9 code.. I think he should clarify that before checking tech tips on the wrong drive train...

Submariner409
02-05-11, 12:01 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but the 94 Seville was only available with the Northstar. Your choice was either the SLS with the Y code or the STS with the 9 code.. I think he should clarify that before checking tech tips on the wrong drive train...

OP has a 94 Deville.............something's either incorrect in his updated login profile or the text in his first post is wrong - and he did post later that the engine was a 4.9 - you're correct - hard to diagnose a moving target !!

Donald Merrill
02-05-11, 01:08 PM
very sorry for any confusion. The Car is a 1994 Cadillac Seville, 93,000 miles. I am not sure if it is the STS or SLS, there are no markings on the car, I would imagine that it is the SLS. It does have the 4.9 liter engine.

Ranger
02-05-11, 02:43 PM
The 4.9 was last offered in a Seville (SLS only) in '93. The '93 STS and ALL after '94 where Northstars.

00 Deville
02-05-11, 02:59 PM
very sorry for any confusion. The Car is a 1994 Cadillac Seville, 93,000 miles. I am not sure if it is the STS or SLS, there are no markings on the car, I would imagine that it is the SLS. It does have the 4.9 liter engine.

Don, I'll still confused are you positive it's a 1994 Seville with a 4.9? From the info I've got all 1994 Seville's came with Northstar engines. Here's the numbers...

-46,714 Sevilles built in 1994
-22,406 of them got the L37 Northstar engine
-24,308 of them got the LD8 Northstar engine

Why don't you run your VIN # thru the VIN to RPO converter then cut and paste the results back here.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

RippyPartsDept
02-05-11, 03:00 PM
sounds like a VIN check is in order

edit: you beat me to it!

Donald Merrill
02-05-11, 03:08 PM
I ran the VIN through the VIN converter and it didn't find the VIN. The engine itself says 32 valve northstar V8, I could not find any other markings about the engine on the car.

Thank you, everyone for all of the help and support so far, very very much appreciated.

RippyPartsDept
02-05-11, 03:16 PM
what's the last 8 digits of the VIN ??
should start RUxxxxxx (where x is a digit/number, not a letter)

if that first one is an R (10th position overall - left to right) then it is indeed a 1994

the 8th digit overall (left to right) will either be a 9 or a Y
that will tell you which northstar engine you have

but you have confirmed for us that it is indeed a Northstar (and all Northstars at least in these years are 4.6L engines) ...
(fyi the 4.9L says 4.9 right on the air box )

Ranger
02-05-11, 03:18 PM
If it's a 4.6 Northstar the 8th digit in the VIN is a 9 or a Y (can't find the 4.9 VIN code).

Submariner409
02-05-11, 03:31 PM
Here's the VIN breakdown. Notice the 8th character - in my case it's a 9: STS. Y would be the SLS

Donald Merrill
02-05-11, 03:46 PM
From the posts it is indeed the 1994 SLS 4.6L, sorry for the confusion. The eight position in the VIN is a Y, and the last 8 positions start with RU.

jimsbox
02-05-11, 08:46 PM
For what its worth, I don't think you have a disconnected trans plug as was suggested earlier because the engine shouldn't start (neutral safety switch) if the plug was disconnected.

Donald Merrill
02-06-11, 03:14 PM
If it's not the transmission harness or cable connector, what else should I try. Could it be a vacuum of dome sort? or just the solenoids inside the transmission.

mhamilton
02-06-11, 04:08 PM
If you have the N* and 4T80 it's all electronic. It could very well have faulty shift solenoids. But all those other transmission sensors going out at the same time has a low probability... I would still think a corroded trans harness connector or something electrical.

Were all of those codes current? Or were some history?

Donald Merrill
02-06-11, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure how current the codes are. I turn the car to acc power and pulled the codes, I did not do any type of clear. I have looked at the cable connector and it looks ok, could there still be a short or failure in the line?

mhamilton
02-06-11, 04:24 PM
Your code readouts didn't indicated "C" or "H" after the code number?

Did you pull the connector out and see what the terminals looked like? I would doubt that the wiring failed... I don't believe that harness is one that goes near any exhaust components. You might follow it and see that everything looks good up to the PCM.

I think at this point you'd need a FSM to diagnose the circuits in the transmission.

Donald Merrill
02-06-11, 04:33 PM
I cleared and repulled the codes now all I get is
P117 (E117) .................... Open/Short Solenoids/Solenoid Wiring (Transmission).

I take it this means I need new solenoids in the transmission

RippyPartsDept
02-06-11, 04:41 PM
check out these threads (http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=webhp&q=P117+site%3Acadillacforums.com)

jimsbox
02-07-11, 07:45 PM
That code indicates you have a broken wire, a bad connection at the plug, or an open or shorted solenoid winding. What I said is you don't have a disconnected plug earlier, not that you do not have a broken wire or a bad connection. Why don't you check fuse F13 (trans) in the fuse block under the hood.

Donald Merrill
02-09-11, 10:42 PM
I checked that fuse and all others. All of the fuses are in good condition, any other ideas.

mhamilton
02-10-11, 10:44 AM
Here's some info on checking the transmission solenoids and wiring... though these will not indicate if you have a broken shift solenoid (broken physically).

http://www.caddyinfo.com/transmissionresistences.htm

Here's a schematic, but I don't know what year it's off of, or how the wire color codes will translate to your car: http://www.caddyinfo.com/transmissioncontrols.png

Donald Merrill
02-25-11, 02:42 PM
The solenoid was cracked, now I am trying to remove the plate inside of the trans pan. Any Ideas on how I can remove the pan to remove the solenoids?

Donald Merrill
02-25-11, 06:36 PM
Ok, Once I started using my head the solenoid change was quite easy. I purchased the AC Delco solenoid kit for the 4t80e trans. It included two solenoids, a filter, and a bracket. I pulled the Trans pan and removed the valve plate. Once the valve plate was out I could easily access the solenoids. The bearings inside of the valve plate remain in the exact same spot. I pulled the clips out and the solenoids shot out, I then pulled the small black filter out and replaced it. I then replaced the solenoids with the new ones (I did not think it was a big deal to pay attention which solenoid went to which hole since the part numbers were identical) The solenoids went in easily and the clips went on the same. I cleaned any dirt or debris that I may have gotten on the valve plate, reassembled the valve plate, and returned it to its home. I reconnected the three cables, one to each solenoid and the other to the side of the valve plate. After all of this I thoroughly cleaned the pan and magnet, and replaced the pan gasket. The entire job was fairly easy. I also made sure not to over tighten the bolts on the valve plate assembly.

Now, The car rolls but I only have 3rd and fourth gear, the car will not accelerate from first and I have not yet experienced second. Any Ideas on what else may be wrong with the poor car. Now I just feel bad for the car, I would like to bring it back to life.

mhamilton
02-25-11, 10:34 PM
Oh... that's a real pain that the problem was not resolved with those solenoids. I'm not sure what else would cause the first 2 gears to not engage. Does it have any new codes?

I think I would consult with a trans expert on what else it might be.

Donald Merrill
02-26-11, 01:37 AM
I don't have any new codes, only the fuel pump short/ or open pump. The only other thing I have to do would replace the cable harness completely. Any other Ideas on what could be wrong. Also the dash reads Traction control disabled, what can I do to remedy this, I would like to fix it and not byoass the traction control.

Ranger
02-27-11, 12:37 AM
I'd go back and double check your work.

98eldo32v
02-27-11, 03:09 AM
Taken from the 98 FSM E/Ksp platform: Page 7-119/120 4T80E

NO FIRST GEAR D2,D3, D4
CHECKS / ACTION
CHECK BALLS / MISSING FROM FWD/ COAST CLUTCH
LO/REV SERVO APPLY PIN / APPLY PIN DAMAGE
1-2 SHIFT VALVE / STUCK IN UPSHIFTED POSTION
FWD/CC SUPPORT SEALS / DAMAGED
FWD/CC STUDS / DAMAGED BROKEN
LO ROLLER CLUTCH / WORN OR DAMAGED
1-2 SHIFT SOLENOID VALVE / *DEBRIS OR FAILED OFF/PINCHED OR DAMAGED WIRES/INOP
FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON / DAMAGED OR CRACKED
FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON SEALS / ROLLED, CUT OR DAMAGED
SUPPORT HOUSING SEAL RINGS / LEAKING, DAMAGED OR CUT
FORWARD SPRAG / DAMAGED, NOT HOLDING
CHECKBALL #8 / MISSING

NO SECOND GEAR D2, D3

2ND CLUTCH PLATES / BURNED OR DAMAGED
2ND CLUTCH PISTONS/SEALS / *CRACKED OR DAMAGED
*ROLLED, DAMAGED OR LEAKING
2ND CLUTCH RETURN SPRINGS / BROKEN, OUT OF POSITION
2ND SPRAG / DAMAGED, NOT HOLDING
1-2 SHIFT SOLENOID VALVE / STUCK ON
1-2 SHIFT VALVE / STUCK IN 1ST GEAR

NO FIRST GEAR

LO ROLLER CLUTCH / WORN OR DAMAGED
FORWARD SPRAG / DAMAGED, NOT HOLDING
OIL TRANSFER SLEEVE / MISALIGNED, DAMAGED, LEAKING
FORWARD CLUTCH PLATES / BURNED, DAMAGED
FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON SEALS / LEAKING, CUT OR ROLLED
DETENT LEVER / MISALIGNED
FWD/COAST HOUSING / BROKEN OR SPLINE DAMAGE
FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON / CRACKED OR DAMAGED
1-2 AND/OR 2-3 SHIFT SOLENOID VALVE / *DEBRIS*PINCHED OR DAMAGED WIRES*INOPERATIVE
MANUAL VALVE / MISALIGNED
CHECKBALL IN HOUSING / LEAKING

Based on what was described, my guess is dirt, missing/leaking checkball, pinched wires. That's the EASY stuff to look at.......

Good luck.

Donald Merrill
03-06-11, 09:58 PM
Ok, I went back over the work and found a ball out of place. I replaced the ball and put it all back together with a torque wrench to the proper specifics. The car shifts when it is cold but once the car has been driven a bit it feels like the car shifts to third but it feels like it is slipping into third. It doesn't feel like the car is completely shifting into third, when its warm, when its cold it shifts just fine. Any Ideas? and Thank you very much for all of the aid so far, without you people I would still be at square one, or spending way too much to have it repaired, Thank you.

98eldo32v
03-07-11, 04:57 PM
I'll have to dig through my service manual again for the sypmtoms in third. Hold tight....

Donald Merrill
03-07-11, 11:01 PM
I took the codes off of the car once again. Now I am Getting;

History
P029- Transaxle Shift 'B' solenoid problem (1st, 3rd, 4th gear)
P039-Torque Coverter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem
P056-Transmission Input Speed Sensor
P071- Intermittent MAP Signal
P076-Transmission Pressuse Solenoid
P086-Undefined Gear Ratio (Transmission Pressure Control)
P094-Transaxle Shift "A" Solenoid Problem (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
P119- Open or Shorted Fuel Injector
A011- High Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
Current
A012-Low Side Temperature Sensor Circuit
T037-LR Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault

Once they are History does that mean that they have been fixed, or that they are existing issues? I understand the short in the fuel injector and the LR wheel speed sensor, but I would like to figure out what the other codes mean, I have replaced both the shift A and B solenoids, the small filter, and added the bracket that is included in the kit. The filters have been replaced and the transmission was put back together with care, what else could be wrong?

Ranger
03-07-11, 11:42 PM
Once they are History does that mean that they have been fixed, or that they are existing issues?
It means the fault has been detected and was current. If it is not detected in 3 consecutive ignition cycles it is moved to history where it will remain for 40 -50 ignition cycles. If not detected again after that it will be cleared. If it is detected again, obviously it is moved back to current. They only get "fixed" if you fix 'em. History just means that they have not come back recently. Make sense?

98eldo32v
03-08-11, 01:14 AM
You've got a grocery list there.....wow.

If you haven't taken the time or the money to invest in the factory service manuals, I suggest that you do.

I have now acquired two sets. I have the original first edition version and now have the second edition version as well.

I happen to find these necessary if you plan to do any intricate work on these vehicles. I suggest you may have to get a set in order to figure out why these codes keep returning, to solve them once and for all.

I shall see what I can dig up on the codes you have listed........

dabbarno
03-20-11, 06:50 PM
started new thread

Donald Merrill
06-10-11, 08:53 PM
I am returning to this issue again. The car starts and shifts hard into reverse and drive. Once the car is in drive it feels as if it wants to run at an idle speed, once any pressure is put on the accelerator it seems to slip out of drive, not completely out but enough to make it very difficult to make it up a driveway approach. Any Ideas? I am currently reopening the transmission and removing the valve plate to check the previous work, for the third time. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them immensely.

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 09:11 PM
very hard to help on this type of problem via the internet ... sorry

Donald Merrill
06-11-11, 02:31 PM
Would the valve body from an '05 4t80e cadillac transmission be compatible with the 4t80e in the '94 cadillac

RippyPartsDept
06-11-11, 02:55 PM
not sure, maybe... maybe not ... i'd have to ask some of the more experienced techs