: Cabin Air Filter.....Cheap!!!

sube5186
02-03-11, 09:13 PM
Has anyone replaced their cabin air filter yet? According to our manual, the recommended replacement interval is 1 year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you live in a dusty area I would replace it more often. I just picked up a TYC brand filter and thought I'd share the link. It's OEM equivalent. Meets or exceeds OEM air flow and filtration specs. It has a layer of activated carbon just like the OEM filter too. The best part is it was only $11.98 + $4.95 shipping. The dealer wants $70 for their filter. If you have them install it, it's over $100! If you're wondering why these are so cheap, don't. What you should be wondering is why the GM filter is so expensive. It's a filter for God's sake. There's really not much to them.

These are really easy to install. I just installed mine in about 5 minutes and it fits perfectly. Just remove the four screws (two on each side) on the inner walls of the top shelf in the glove box. Then the shelf slides right out. Behind that you'll see the door for the filter chamber. There are three snaps. One on the left side, right side and top of the door. Unsnap those and the door swings down. The door is NOT removable. It's hinged at the bottom. The attached diagram accurately shows the location, but there are no screws securing the door.

I searched high and low for a filter other than the GM one to fit our car. This was the only one I could find. Probably because if you bought a 2010 SRX you're just now reaching replacement time, so there was no rush to get these to market.

Now, go out and have a nice dinner with the money you saved from doing this yourself. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cabin-Air-Filter-Buick-LaCrosse-Cadillac-SRX-2010-2011-/150457446983?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2307f67247

Sube

tc2010
02-03-11, 11:59 PM
Well, that was certainly worth the read....Thank You..:thumbsup:

sube5186
02-04-11, 12:18 AM
You're quite welcome. :D

I noticed the "Quantity Available" dropped on the eBay site. Did you by any chance buy one? If so, if you have any questions or problems installing it, let me know. You may want to take yours out just to see how dirty it is. Then, decide if you need one. The way I look at it, now that I know how cheap they are, why wouldn't a person change it at least once a year.

Sube

Ponyman
02-04-11, 08:16 AM
Thanks Sube, I will have to get one so that I have it when i need it.

Willo
02-04-11, 11:10 AM
While my SRX is under warranty, I want to keep as many GM parts in it as possible. Like Sube, I was astonished to find out it would cost over $100 to have the passenger compartment filter replaced by the dealer and learned that doing it myself was easy providing I could get the filter. Several local Cadillac dealers did not have the filter in stock, and neither did the local NAPA outlets, so I went to gmpartsdirect.com, which is not owned by GM, but Flow Motors, a large GM dealership in Winston-Salem, NC. The price was half of what my dealer wanted for the AC/Delco filter, thus I ordered not only the passenger filter, but also the engine compartment air filter (which you should be changing at about the same time if you SRX is a year or so old..also, not hard to do as the instructions are in the car manual).

The passenger compartment filter number is 13271191, price paid was $38.69; engine air filter number is 20897358, price was $17.95. A small fee is added for shipping.

These prices are more than what Sube paid, but these are for genuine GM parts. True, a filter is a filter and there may not be much difference between the brand name and an off-brand, but if you want to keep your SRX running with factory spec parts, you may want to consider if the higher cost is worth it to you.

stevec5375
02-04-11, 11:42 AM
It seems that branding and marketing hype really work. Wouldn't you love to have the list that shows who really manufactures parts for GM branded products. It might surprise you to learn that the cheap eBay filter that Sube bought is the exact same one that you got from a GM authorized dealer.

sube5186
02-04-11, 12:07 PM
While my SRX is under warranty, I want to keep as many GM parts in it as possible.

I feel the exact same way...when it comes to "real" mechanical parts. However, after personally examining both filters and reading the specs, I'm confident this filter is equal to or better than the GM version. As I'm sure everyone knows, GM doesn't manufacture these filters. They buy them from another company and stamp their name on them. TYC specializes in manufacturing filters. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the GM filter. Using a non GM OEM equivalent filter will not void your warranty.

I'm familiar with the gmpartsdirect website. I neglected to mention that I found the filter there first but also thought their price was too high ($52.64 including shipping). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only dealers were authorized to sell actual GM parts. This may likely be the ACDelco filter, which is merely a GM authorized substitute. If that's the case, you're still not getting a GM filter.

I respect your decision. After all, it is your car. I just think GM (and every other auto company) count on consumers buying into this notion that all of their parts are somehow superior to aftermarket ones. They mark up the price to add further credence to this malarkey. Now, you're definitely convinced their parts must somehow be better. Hogwash! Some aftermarket parts are even better. K&N high performance filters are a perfect example. Mind you, I wouldn't put a "Jiffy" brand transmission into my SRX. I'm only talking about certain parts, filters being one of them.

Sube

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 12:10 PM
Willo - how much was the shipping and handling charge from gmpd.com???

i can usually meet their prices when you factor in total costs (part+s&h)

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 12:12 PM
Sube - gmpd.com is a GM dealer - and the filter is an ACDelco filter... same as you can get from anywhere else that you can buy ACDelco parts (advance auto for instance)

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 12:33 PM
MFG/Brand Part Number
CARQUEST/CHAMPION LABS CAF1872C
CHAMPION LABORATORIES INC CAF1872C
LUBER-FINER CAF1872C
MOBIL CAF1872C
ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT CAF256C
SERVICE CHAMP CAF1872
WARNER WCAF1872
WIX 24191
WIX CANADA 24191

My interchange list for the cabin filter... obviously not comprehensive since it doesn't show the TYC brand but it's something

Ponyman
02-04-11, 01:27 PM
I would like to point out that everybody seems to hammering GM for this. It is not just GM, it is EVERY auto manufacturer that does this. Including all those beloved, Nissans, Infiniti's, Lexus, etc.

GMJim
02-04-11, 02:05 PM
Shame on you Sube for trying to pass off inferior filters to save a ton of money.
WTF? people

Things that cost more, are better, right?

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 04:11 PM
we ran into a car with a WIX engine air filter in it that was throwing a mass air sensor code

before replacing the MAF sensor (like most people would do) we ran some shop air across the sensor

code went away ... car began running smooth again

the WIX filter apparently doesn't have the same filtering abilities as the ACDelco filter (which is rated to a lower micron level)
this person had accumulated enough dust (microscopic dust) on the mass air flow sensor to cause it to stop metering the air

... just some food for thought

tc2010
02-04-11, 10:00 PM
Sube,
I ordered the filter as soon as the printer finished copying your post....:highfive:

The engine filter is extremely well designed and probably will stay with GM

Your post, however, did pay for dinner.....:thumbsup:

PGASRX
02-05-11, 07:21 AM
This is a new forum for me that Iíve been monitoring since buying SRX. First GM Iíve bought in 35 years. I usually order all my car filters/parts from Rock Auto (current TYC $9.08 +ship). Good interactive site. Over years Iíve had only one problem and it was an easy painless return.

RippyPartsDept
02-05-11, 09:01 AM
:welcome: and post up some pictures in the SRX pictures thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/182811-post-pics-your-new-2010-srx.html)

Smokin' SRX
02-05-11, 12:51 PM
MFG/Brand Part Number
CARQUEST/CHAMPION LABS CAF1872C
CHAMPION LABORATORIES INC CAF1872C
LUBER-FINER CAF1872C
MOBIL CAF1872C
ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT CAF256C
SERVICE CHAMP CAF1872
WARNER WCAF1872
WIX 24191
WIX CANADA 24191

My interchange list for the cabin filter... obviously not comprehensive since it doesn't show the TYC brand but it's something
Thx Rippy. Good to have....

SS

Smokin' SRX
02-05-11, 01:12 PM
I feel the exact same way...when it comes to "real" mechanical parts. However, after personally examining both filters and reading the specs, I'm confident this filter is equal to or better than the GM version. As I'm sure everyone knows, GM doesn't manufacture these filters. They buy them from another company and stamp their name on them. TYC specializes in manufacturing filters. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the GM filter. Using a non GM OEM equivalent filter will not void your warranty.

I'm familiar with the gmpartsdirect website. I neglected to mention that I found the filter there first but also thought their price was too high ($52.64 including shipping). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only dealers were authorized to sell actual GM parts. This may likely be the ACDelco filter, which is merely a GM authorized substitute. If that's the case, you're still not getting a GM filter.

I respect your decision. After all, it is your car. I just think GM (and every other auto company) count on consumers buying into this notion that all of their parts are somehow superior to aftermarket ones. They mark up the price to add further credence to this malarkey. Now, you're definitely convinced their parts must somehow be better. Hogwash! Some aftermarket parts are even better. K&N high performance filters are a perfect example. Mind you, I wouldn't put a "Jiffy" brand transmission into my SRX. I'm only talking about certain parts, filters being one of them.

Sube

hey Sube, great tip. THX! I am a contractor and have had need to furnish my "troops" with breathing masks on certain jobs. Not all filters are created equal. I do agree with you and the rest that think in this case, they are close enough to drop concerns, but stay vigilant on ALL filters.....air or oil! Big diffs are out there. (oil especially, as I'm sure u all know)

I think a word of caution/advisory may be due here. I've used K&N air filters and personally had nothing but GOOD luck. I truly felt a bit more power and saw a bit more MPG on a 4.3L V-6 GM sled and a N* , V-8 Caddy, personally. Never dyno-tested other than seat-of-pants dyno however. LOL

Recent years I've read many articles on the Web about K&N, and their "lower" micron level (particle) of filtering. ( E.I....dirt gets thru!) Many Forums tell of Mass Air sensor problems from them, stemming from the oil solution they use on their element to catch more dirt. It can contaminate/affect the MAS. I no longer use K&N and spend the money instead to replace my engine air filters much more often instead. Perhaps if you lease and long term eng wear is not a concern for you? But some warranty work got charged to back customer (big $$) to replace the MAS after the K&N found guilty. Just a heads-up, and JIMHO

SS

marq75
03-03-11, 09:12 AM
Wow that was an easy fix. I thought it had to be there somewhere. Filter cost me $70 from my chevy dealer and the cadillac dealer wanted $13 to install.