: Kills Battery

pchrider
02-03-11, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know why my 93 drains my battery if it sits for a couple days. It's a new battery. I can drive it all day long with no problems but if it sits it drains.
I don't see any dome lights or anything staying on. Thanks for any help.

cadillac kevin
02-03-11, 08:47 PM
check the alternator

D Yaros
02-04-11, 07:32 AM
These cars do have tons of on-board electronics that stay on, even with the key off. Even so, the battery should stay charged for a period of 2 ds of no driving. As has been pointed out, the alternator may not be charging the battery. You could also have a short somewhere which is draining the system?

billc83
02-06-11, 03:37 PM
With the engine running, make sure the battery warning light isn't on in the dash, indicating a bad alternator. If that's the case, the alternator is the culprit.

Check the pulldown motor for the soft-top. If it is misadjusted it often won't register that the rear of the top is pulled down, and will begin to recycle. This will continue until either the motor burns itself out or the battery dies.

Those would be my first places to check.

David
02-06-11, 03:44 PM
Another area of 'concern' is the antenna motor; this, too, can continue to operate until the battery/motor dies. On earlier years of the Allanté there was a problem with the door lock system; once the car is locked, the system should shut down until a key is inserted to unlock the door; at times the system stay 'awake' and drained the battery as well.

My '92 Allanté can go up to 3 weeks without driving it, and the battery is still ok.

Hope this helps.

94ZR1
03-07-11, 11:16 AM
I once had a car that did this and baffled the hell out of me
and it turned out to be a mirror light that was left on and couldnt be seen with the visor up another time it was a glove box light that couldnt be seen with the door shut another time it was a faulty door jamb switch
I just realized this has happened to me a lot

pchrider
12-30-11, 12:40 AM
Thank you all. Great help.