: 2011 SRX Spare Tire Option??

jrannis
02-03-11, 07:01 AM
I recently purchased a 2011 SRX Luxury and did not see an option for a spare tire. Is this option even available??
Thanks,

John

cz9h3d
02-03-11, 09:36 AM
You can order a "kit" over the parts counter - spare tire, jack, new piece of foam for under the floor to locate everything.

wag 42
02-03-11, 11:44 AM
Here you go...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/181435-srx-spare-tire-kit.html

Smokin' SRX
02-10-11, 01:52 AM
Welcome to our Forum Jrannis!

Yup, SRX along with BMW and others are deleting spare tires on new models. I for one worried about it as I take frequent 80 mile trips. Late at nite. And Onstar will send a truck but the guy needs a spare to put on, many times.

I bought one and put it in myself. See my album here, for a pix of it installed. Some room still avail for misc stuff..........
Enjoy the new ride!
SS

coolbeans
02-14-11, 12:49 PM
I recently purchased a 2011 SRX Luxury and did not see an option for a spare tire. Is this option even available??
Thanks,

John

Welcome!

Like everyone else, I worry about the long distance traveling, as it would be just my luck, out in the middle of nowhere, get a blowout! So, I just purchased a kit from Luke@Lindsay, should be here by Friday....part #9598758..Thanx to Luke for his help, and Smokin SRX for his pic !

suncoast
02-15-11, 05:55 PM
I just bought one too. I hope to have it in time to install it this weekend

suncoast
02-16-11, 10:01 PM
I just bought one too. I hope to have it in time to install it this weekend

It arrived! A very large box was on my porch when I got home today. I opened it up and found all of the parts and instructions. Box said Made in China. lol
I was kinda disappointed that the tire was not mounted on the wheel. I will have it mounted and balanced when I get my first oil change.
The entire swap took about 20 minutes. I understand about the hard time some people had getting the old bucket out. I took out the center screw and just wiggled the entire bucket around until it popped out. The new one went in very easy. Now to get that tire mounted. :mad2:

Smokin' SRX
02-16-11, 10:26 PM
Good news guys. Remember ,jack mounts laying on its side, halfway opened/cranked. The directions are not clear......

SS

suncoast
02-16-11, 10:41 PM
Good news guys. Remember ,jack mounts laying on its side, halfway opened/cranked. The directions are not clear......

SS

It was packed like that, I was just disappointed that the tire wasn't mounted.

RippyPartsDept
02-16-11, 10:46 PM
tire can't be mounted on wheel due to shipping laws i believe... since mounted it would be under pressure, and therefore a hazardous shipping part

well it could be done, but hazardous shipping costs a lot more

suncoast
02-16-11, 10:52 PM
tire can't be mounted on wheel due to shipping laws i believe... since mounted it would be under pressure, and therefore a hazardous shipping part

well it could be done, but hazardous shipping costs a lot more

OK maybe so, but if it were mounted, I could have used the "inflater" to top it off.
BTW, I can buy tires mounted on wheels from Tirerack.
Maybe since the kit came from China the air in the tire might have been a hazard.:bigroll:

RippyPartsDept
02-16-11, 10:57 PM
yeah, nothing on air freight can be pressurized and not be considered hazardous... ground shipping doesn't really matter (afaik)

Smokin' SRX
02-16-11, 11:01 PM
OK maybe so, but if it were mounted, I could have used the "inflater" to top it off.
BTW, I can buy tires mounted on wheels from Tirerack.
Maybe since the kit came from China the air in the tire might have been a hazard.:bigroll:

LOL! Probably would have lead in the air!!

Rippy's correct.....no inflated shipping allowed with normal stuff. As for why not even mounted deflated.................different sources/venders no doubt. Ease of handling for them I guess. My Dealer (local) gave it to me at cost and mounted it as well. Price only little better than Lukes. Rippy and he are good guys!

SS

poor00
02-18-11, 11:54 AM
thanks

poor00
02-18-11, 11:55 AM
thanks again

poor00
02-18-11, 11:56 AM
fog light pictures

coolbeans
02-19-11, 01:46 PM
It arrived! A very large box was on my porch when I got home today. I opened it up and found all of the parts and instructions. Box said Made in China. lol
I was kinda disappointed that the tire was not mounted on the wheel. I will have it mounted and balanced when I get my first oil change.
The entire swap took about 20 minutes. I understand about the hard time some people had getting the old bucket out. I took out the center screw and just wiggled the entire bucket around until it popped out. The new one went in very easy. Now to get that tire mounted. :mad2:

Howdy,
I received my kit, part #09598758, you mention after removing the "old bucket", the "new one" went right in...I received no "new bucket"..I did get the instructions, jack stowage container, jack, etc., all the accessories, the foam spare tire spacer, tire, and a shiny black spoked aluminum wheel! Maybe I'm just too literal!! LOL!

Smokin' SRX
02-19-11, 02:19 PM
If I may guess, Suncoast accurately refers to the styro/plastic type molded storage tray. No "bucket" literally .

Enjoy the POM........

SS

coolbeans
02-19-11, 04:41 PM
Thanks SS,
Sometimes I just want to make sure I am getting/doing the correct thing..as I live way far from anybody that would actually help.

Smokin' SRX
02-20-11, 11:19 PM
measure twice, cut once! Wisdom you have.

These guys here always willing to help.

SS

coolbeans
02-22-11, 01:17 PM
Speaking of help..
Just a simple question..I am not familiar with these "temporary spares" so when I had the tire mounted, the installer said that the tire does not need to be balanced..is this true??

Smokin' SRX
02-22-11, 11:03 PM
Yes. I guess they have such little mass (think bicycle tires) and are speed limited (55MPH) & distance limited (I think 300 miles?) that I've read/been told to use them as is. Worked for me a few years ago.........

SS

coolbeans
02-23-11, 12:18 AM
Thanks again, SS!
The liar who mounted the tire for me said he did 18" rims all the time..end result being I now have a rim with major scratches in several places, and the fool expected me to pay him for the job. I told him I'll pay the $10.50 when he mounts the tire on a new rim without any scars, just like the new one was that I brought to him.
When I hire someone, I expect for them to do the work that they tell me they can do, no more, no less. I can certainly understand a problem, and I am especially easy to work with...if an accident happens, please stop and let me know..we can then either proceed, or I'll pay for the effort, and I'll look elsewhere. I told the guy, that if he is unsure, thats fine! I'll find another place as I do not want my rim all beat up..I like my stuff nice. So, thats one store I will never enter again, and hopefully, neither will anyone I tell about it.

littleriverpat
04-11-11, 09:58 PM
Have 2010 SRX with 11k on it. Ran over something in road (walked back a mile and didn't see anything) - piece of tire torn off. Luckily (or unluckily) I was able to pull into a Goodyear Tire store. Of course they didn't have the Michelin. Had to wait 4 hours for their truck to deliver it. Won't buy a car again without a spare...

TheCaptain
04-12-11, 12:11 AM
Come to Canada! It's mandated that ALL vehicles sold here have a spare, (exceptions apply) or can of inflat-a-crap.
=D

dctex99
04-12-11, 11:31 AM
It should be in the US also....I remember all these people in early 2010 saying they NEVER need a spare..just ait til you hit something like many of us have....its been great for the "aftermarket" people to make extra money on new owners,,,,I am really disappointed in Cadillac in shorting people a spare just to give them enough room for almost nothing!!!

RippyPartsDept
04-12-11, 11:38 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3843/srx2ndgensparetirekit.jpg

kit comes w/ everything in the above illustration
List price: $516.17
Forum Discount is $381 plus shipping (which could be a lot depending on where you are)

There is an RPO code for this (ZAA) which is probably not in any package (except maybe a fleet package)
so you would have to special order your SRX to get the spare
(or buy this kit after the fact)

Ponyman
04-12-11, 11:40 AM
They didn't do it to give more room for anything. They did it to save money. No jack, no spare, cheap compressor with a can of fix a flat equals more money for them. They aren't the only ones doing it. Spares are like insurance, don't need them till you need them.

Smokin' SRX
04-12-11, 11:41 AM
Many autos come w/o a spare. Honda Vans, and many BMW's, to name the few I have seen personally.....
I think it's stupid.

JIMHO

SS

RippyPartsDept
04-12-11, 11:44 AM
Lots of similar discussion in this thread started almost exactly a year prior to this one
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/181435-srx-spare-tire-kit.html

dctex99
04-13-11, 05:19 PM
UNLIKE insurance, which is REQUIRED!!!

mrl859
04-13-11, 09:17 PM
Actually, no spare is becoming more and more common, especially in performance cars. Including this vehicle, my last four didn't have it. And none came with run flats.

RippyPartsDept
04-13-11, 09:35 PM
i just ran a vin on someone's SRX and it had the ZAA option...

i noticed it because it was the last one and it caught my eye as i selected the text for printing

makes sense really

i think the problem was that many people didn't ask and/or weren't told that their new car didn't have a spare and then found out this 'bad news' broke down on the side of the road

now we're a few years into sales of these cars and dealers are becoming more sensitive to this market segment that 'demands' a spare and are ordering vehicles for their stock with this option

if the fourm is interested i can ask one of our sales people how much this ZAA option adds to the bottom line

SoCalSRX
05-01-11, 07:07 PM
If anyone with the spare tire kit installed could post pictures of the kit, both exposed and covered with the carpet, I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the kit, and seeing it installed would help.

Thanks!

Smokin' SRX
05-03-11, 06:33 PM
see my Album for a pix that may help. Lid closes flat as usuual............

SoCalSRX
05-03-11, 06:48 PM
It looks...sssssssmokin! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Thanks! :D

Smokin' SRX
05-05-11, 10:10 PM
LOL . anytime.

SS

SoCalSRX
05-29-11, 07:54 PM
In case anyone is interested, I posted my experience installing the spare tire kit here: http://tinyurl.com/3m2q9lr

It wasn't difficult at all. I hope my posting helps the next person who tackles this project!

jeburner@aol.com
04-12-12, 09:33 PM
So does the spare tire kit replacment unit fit in the area that the compressor and small storage area are? So you would lose that small storage compartment then?

SoCalSRX
04-12-12, 10:14 PM
So does the spare tire kit replacment unit fit in the area that the compressor and small storage area are? So you would lose that small storage compartment then?

Yes...the styrofoam storage compartment under the rear deck comes out, and the spare tire kit is installed in its place. Once the spare tire kit is installed, there are a couple of "cubby holes" to store some small things, but that big storage area is filled with the tire, jack, etc.

I've had my car for about a year, and not once have I missed that storage area. The peace of mind I get knowing I have a spare far outweighs having another few cubic feet of storage, IMHO.

HTH.

VHA
04-16-12, 10:30 PM
if the fourm is interested i can ask one of our sales people how much this ZAA option adds to the bottom line

According to Edumds.com, dealer invoice on an SRX spare is $308, with MSRP at $350.

packardv8
04-22-12, 06:14 PM
According to Edumds.com, dealer invoice on an SRX spare is $308, with MSRP at $350.

Those of us fortunate enough to have bought the Saab 9-4X not only got the better looking ride, but only had to pay a MSRP of $250 for the spare tire kit. Since there were only 450 of the 9-4X made, we'll likely never see another one in our travels ;>)

jack vines

allgm
04-22-12, 07:26 PM
Those of us fortunate enough to have bought the Saab 9-4X not only got the better looking ride, but only had to pay a MSRP of $250 for the spare tire kit. Since there were only 450 of the 9-4X made, we'll likely never see another one in our travels ;>)

jack vines June issue of my Motor Trend quotes a total of 738. Still it is a rare bird.