: Forum loading times/posting issues/crashes

BlackCadillac91
02-02-11, 02:33 PM
Ok so I'm just wondering if i'm alone here. I've been having serious trouble getting the site to load lately. It takes forever to come up, then it crashes, says the page isn't available, and often fails to accept posts I try to make.

I doubt it's a problem on my end, I often run several internet windows at the same time including high-bandwidth sites like youtube/pandora/grooveshark. They run no problem. I use google chrome mostly but sometimes I find the site runs better on windows IE. I'm also usually on a 1gb network, hardwired, and my computer is more than fast enough to host the forum let alone bring up a single page lol...

Anyone else having similar issues?

Y3E
02-02-11, 02:41 PM
Yep, same problem here, right now as a fact. I had this problem last night too and other sites are loading without any problems.

txbest1980
02-02-11, 02:41 PM
this goes in this section...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/

side note: i have no issues at all with the site as of lately or within the last 6 months or so

odthetruth
02-02-11, 03:19 PM
I noticed the same thing about 2 nights ago. I posted, the forum page stated I had made the post, but when i went into the thread, the post did not exist in it. So i cleared cache, checked again, nothing. Went from Firefox to IE to check and still not there. Checked from my cellphone to the forum, not there either. So now I knew that it just wasn't there, so I remade the post, and it showed up in the thread about 2 hours later.

Probably just some bigtime server checking. Gotta keep an eye on the amount of guests lurking. lol

BlackCadillac91
02-02-11, 03:59 PM
Yeah I hear ya Od i remember you mentioning that before...

Gotta keep an eye on the amount of guests lurking. lol

This is definitely true too lol...

AxelsHumanDad
02-03-11, 07:42 AM
Anyone else having similar issues?
I'm the FNG here, and I notice when I click to mark the forum read nothing happens. no refresh, no change in thread status(es). notta. just a quirk for me.

Roger3116
02-03-11, 09:37 AM
I have noticed that this is the slowest loading form of all I visit, in fact so slow that I rarely come here any more. My other observation is, this form has more advertisements than any other form I visit. If this is the cause of the problems, it appears that the form owners have sacrificed a good form for the almighty dollar. I think they have to decide if this form is about helping Cadillac enthusiasts or making money. Roger

ride_002000
02-03-11, 10:02 AM
Many of these forums were started by normal people and began as a hobby, many good forums tend to grow quickly and become very popular and flooded with users. This mass of users is what slows it down, combined with lack of servers and bandwidth on the admin side. Many other forums have many advertisers that pay the forum Admins for the space that in turn funds the forum, allowing for more servers to be purchased as well as bandwidth. The admins have put out there that this forum needs more advertisers and contributors in order to purchase these aforementioned upgrades. So if you want faster load times and improvements to the site I suggest upgrading to a paid account or donate a small amount to the forum, every little bit helps and will be used to further your experience here on this particular forum.

I am not an admin nor have I donated, but doesnt mean I wont in the future, I have spoke with Sal about some possible funding opportunities and he is definitely trying to get the funds to help the forum expand.

**EDIT**
And this forum has by far the least amount of advertisements and I have been apart of about 6 forums, from CBR, R1, Dodge, 2 F150 forums which has a ton of advertisements, which I had many loading problems due to the masses of ads. I just went on the forum and counted how many ads they have including flash ads and banners and the total was 22 and that was just on the main category page, not the interior. Also this forum tries to have Cadillac specific advertisers, so that if you do need a part or anything you have the option to click on the ad and have relevant material, while the f150 forum also has relevant material it does run unrelated ads such as credit score etc...

manoogia
02-03-11, 10:40 AM
This forum always is much slower and much harder to navigate than all of the other forums I belong to. And I think there are more ads here than anywhere else I go as well.

Not complaining, just an observation.

Fishcakes
02-03-11, 11:48 AM
Could be time to buy more Server space .
I've moderated a forum for 15 years now ; Most of them have been different versions of vbulletin which is a good product .
Yes, we have days like the ones we have been having here of late .

As for ads; Server space costs money; I doubt this place is run for profit, and I'll bet these forums require one hell of a lot of Server space .

Fish

ride_002000
02-03-11, 12:01 PM
Could be time to buy more Server space .
I've moderated a forum for 15 yeras now ; Most of them have been different versions of vbulletin which is a good product .
Yes, we have days like the ones we have been having here of late .

As for ads; Server space costs money; I doubt this place is run for profit, and I'll bet these forums require one hell of a lot of Server space .

Fish

Exactly

RippyPartsDept
02-03-11, 12:37 PM
this goes in this section...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/

side note: i have no issues at all with the site as of lately or within the last 6 months or so

More specifically this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/site-news-feedback-questions-suggestions/155213-all-site-speed-issue-discussion-goes.html) would be a better place... but now this thread has taken off... and this conversation seems to pop up once a week in the various forums here...

if people knew how much the ad loads were slowing down their browsing of the site they might be more inclined to purchase a subscription to get rid of the ads

i also have had no problems with the site for a long time (and i'm on here as much as anyone else)

RoyalFlush
02-03-11, 01:20 PM
I have no problems here. I just use firefox with a few addons and it works fine. I could go into the dirtiest site and not get any popups or spyware unless i allow it.

Addons:
- betterprivacy (blocks third party cookies)
- No script (blocks all scripts in the page u manually allow only scripts from the url that u want. Its awesome since it blocks even ads and banners on a page)
- Ghostery (u block all the trackers that websites place)
- Beeftaco (kinda like betterprivacy)

It might be a bit annoying to allow certain sites manually but once you do it u never have to do it again. Plus it's better than formatting my pc every 6 months. So far it's been 2 virus/ad free years.

ride_002000
02-03-11, 01:32 PM
I have a macbook pro for my personal computer and a 24" iMac at work so I dont have to worry about virus' and I dont have much trouble loading, sometimes when Im editing a post that is lengthy. the ads dont bother me, being only 25 years old and growing up with the internet and being a web designer I am accustom to seeing ads every day and creating them, I look at them more in a design sense and usually pick them apart, lol. But thats just me

RippyPartsDept
02-03-11, 01:42 PM
I have no problems here. I just use firefox with a few addons and it works fine. I could go into the dirtiest site and not get any popups or spyware unless i allow it.

Addons:
- No script (blocks all scripts in the page u manually allow only scripts from the url that u want. Its awesome since it blocks even ads and banners on a page)

It might be a bit annoying to allow certain sites manually but once you do it u never have to do it again. Plus it's better than formatting my pc every 6 months. So far it's been 2 virus/ad free years.
:yeah: good suggestions... it's a shame that you have to do this kind of stuff, but it's always better to be safe than sorry

odthetruth
02-03-11, 01:50 PM

Addons:

LOL I wasn't gonna share that, but i do the same thing minus betterprivacy. Noscript especially helps on this forum, but I ran into about 2-3 solid issues where posting didn't go thru, and then went thru about an hour later. It was weird.

BlackCadillac91
02-03-11, 02:07 PM

Addons:

Lol thats quite the setup man. didn't really expect this thread to take off like this it was more or less just to see if i was alone in this situation or not. its good to see that there's a fix though.

ride_002000...You may want to invest in a good antivirus. i know since you have a mac you're a bit safer than most since most viruses target PC's and windows based operating systems. but now that there are many more apple computers out there, more viruses are starting to pop up for Macs. just a thought.

Too bad people have to be douchebags. viruses wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for people who like to ruin other peoples days :(

Rolex
02-03-11, 06:12 PM
I see a trend in all those complaining about site issues. I'm just sayin'

:moved: to the proper forum.

drewsdeville
02-03-11, 08:55 PM
If you are referring to everyone being non-supporters, take a look at the "All site speed issue" thread, where most of the complaints are site supporters. There's not much incentive to be a supporter when those who support are promised faster speeds and don't receive...

ghettomike
02-03-11, 09:04 PM

Addons:

just added those right now, and it seems a lot faster right away.
i also added beeftaco and some facebook blocker....that site is evil

ghettomike
02-04-11, 12:58 AM
If you are referring to everyone being non-supporters, take a look at the "All site speed issue" thread, where most of the complaints are site supporters. There's not much incentive to be a supporter when those who support are promised faster speeds and don't receive...

actually, i do get lass ads and faster loading than before. less ads pop up.
still slow, but namageable.
on my blackberry i open the link i want and just ket it log...2-5 mIn usually

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 01:20 AM
on my blackberry

found your problem! :helpless:

Roger3116
02-04-11, 09:41 AM
" I just went on the forum and counted how many ads they have including flash ads and banners and the total was 22 and that was just on the main category page, not the interior. Also this forum tries to have Cadillac specific advertisers, so that if you do need a part or anything you have the option to click on the ad and have relevant material, while the f150 forum also has relevant material it does run unrelated ads such as credit score etc... " I just counted 38 ads on this page alone, including Best Buy, Acura, ING, BMO, Travel Zoo, Mortage Rates, and Love Enhancement ( not sure what that one is). I still believe there are too many ads, they are not specific to Cadillac, and they are slowing down an otherwise great form. Roger

RippyPartsDept
02-04-11, 11:09 AM
Roger, try out a supporting membership for a month and see if your situation improves...

(I count 28 ad blocks when i logout and browse the forums - that counts the google ad units as once even though they have three ads each)

Submariner409
02-04-11, 11:38 AM
FWIW, I'm sitting here reading this thread and occasionally going back to the main Forums page. The total number of ads is ZERO.

Once in a while the site gets slow for loads and posts - and I pitch a whiney fit in Site Speed - but, as several have posted, you go down and look at the staggering number of "guests" in-site and it's no wonder that Sal has a few bad hair days...............

ghettomike
02-04-11, 11:40 AM
found your problem! :helpless:

LOL - ya i know bb is known for slow browsers, im using the torch with os6, so its not that bad.

Roger, try out a supporting membership for a month and see if your situation improves...

(I count 28 ad blocks when i logout and browse the forums - that counts the google ad units as once even though they have three ads each)

+1 - when i got my supporting membership i noticed my loading times cut in half, it makes a big difference. i had just about given up on using my blackberry on this site until i had my membership upgraded.
its a great site and ill be extending my supporting membership.
Thank you Mods.

JimmyH
02-05-11, 04:15 PM
I see a trend in all those complaining about site issues. I'm just sayin'

:yup:

Every once in a great while I come here and it is slooooooooowwwwww. I just leave and come back a little later, and it's back to normal. This is one of the busiest forums out there. That's just the way it is.

I think geography has a lot to do it with it too. I have experienced problems in the past that no one else seemed to. And people complaining about site speed at particular times that I have seen fast loads.

There are probably 100 nodes between your computer and the CF server. Any one of them can cause a problem. And if anyone of the network advertisers are experiencing slow loads, it is going to affect this site.

Accept it.

Lord Cadillac
02-06-11, 05:36 PM
I noticed the same thing about 2 nights ago. I posted, the forum page stated I had made the post, but when i went into the thread, the post did not exist in it. So i cleared cache, checked again, nothing. Went from Firefox to IE to check and still not there. Checked from my cellphone to the forum, not there either. So now I knew that it just wasn't there, so I remade the post, and it showed up in the thread about 2 hours later.

Probably just some bigtime server checking. Gotta keep an eye on the amount of guests lurking. lol

This sounds like your post when into moderation...

I have noticed that this is the slowest loading form of all I visit, in fact so slow that I rarely come here any more. My other observation is, this form has more advertisements than any other form I visit. If this is the cause of the problems, it appears that the form owners have sacrificed a good form for the almighty dollar. I think they have to decide if this form is about helping Cadillac enthusiasts or making money. Roger

As mentioned other times, this is one of the busiest automotive forums with probably the smallest aftermarket for vendors/advertisers. There just aren't enough companies making Cadillac performance parts and/or interior/exterior modifications.. There's not enough money coming in to pay the bills without network advertisements - which is probably a big part of the problem with slow loading pages. The other problem is simply the amount of traffic we're getting.

I'm just one guy who started a Cadillac site as a hobby and not a large corporation with relationships with advertisers across the globe and 65 websites to advertise on to entice vendors to "advertise across our extremely busy network of sites that we just 'acquired'". It's just me. Some guy in Florida named Sal.

It only costs a few dollars per month to speed up page loading. If you're here on a daily basis, it's worth the few bucks. If you're a real fanatic and spent a lot of time here, you can choose a plan that removes all the network ads. Unfortunately, there are still times when the site is bogged down with traffic where even a simple HTML page will take awhile to load.

Rolex
02-06-11, 07:25 PM

Nail -> Head

But the non-supporters complain the loudest IMO. All this infotainment is absolutely free of charge to anybody that wants to come here and complain about it. :pwn:

Jesda
02-10-11, 04:41 AM
actually, i do get lass ads and faster loading than before. less ads pop up.
still slow, but namageable.
on my blackberry i open the link i want and just ket it log...2-5 mIn usually

On the Blackberry (I have a Tour 9630) I use Bolt. The built-in browser is a dog.

http://www.boltbrowser.com/

Free and great for browsing forums.

Of course, the Blackberry Torch doesn't have this problem.