: Expensive to maintain?

mhemsley
02-02-11, 08:47 AM
Folks:

I'm in trouble with my wife. I'm looking at a nice '06 CTS V, but when I showed her the ad, the current owner said:

"For a high performance vehicle that can be expensive to maintain, this warranty is worth its weight in gold. I've had 5K worth of wear and tear items replaced on it under warranty...."

So, she is now reluctant about the purchase. I have not seen an indication that the cars are "expensive to maintain" here on the forum, but I need some help if I'm going to get this car without being in the doghouse.

Are CTS Vs expensive to maintain? Should I expect a lot of maintenance issues over the next years of ownership?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike

ctsvohio
02-02-11, 09:12 AM
I did my research on here when I was thinking about buying. Basically, if you push the car to the limits stuff will break. Have fun but don't get crazy and you should be fine. If you want to get crazy, the guys on here can tell you what you need to upgrade. I am by no means wealthy. I didn't need a 400hp sedan. I had never owned anything like this. I am very happy that I bought the V.

06BlackonBlackCTSV
02-02-11, 09:12 AM
I have an 06 V, I bought it with 24k miles. I have not spent any money to maintain it yet, other than the oil changes and tires. But I have had my transmission rebuilt twice, clutch pedal spring replaced, motor mounts replaced, and had my nav buttons replaced under the factory warranty. As long as you still have your warranty you should be good. She should be worried about the money your gonna spend in mods and not worry so much about maintenance. This car has a couple flaws like the rear end and wheel hop, but I am very happy with my V. You can do what I did, and make a deal with your wife to let her drive sometimes ( had to since I wrecked my first one the first or second week I had it, and she never drove it). Now my wife loves my V, and usually is cool with any mods I want to get, she has already approved pretty much every mod I can do to the car. Now I just have to stop spending all my money on fixing my house LOL. I would rather have heat in the house then a little more horsepower in the car.

rand49er
02-02-11, 10:41 AM
Expensive to maintain? No, assuming normal driving with only an occasional burst of power.

Expensive to mod? Yes, assuming you come to this forum which will guarantee that you get the mod bug.

I'd suggest never coming here again. Find a hypnotherapist to totally forget that this forum exists. It's for your own good.

lucasmartin
02-02-11, 10:59 AM
My advice would be to make sure you have some type of warranty with a low deductible on it and you will be fine. I put a lot of miles on mine and so far it is just the standard stuff (oil change, etc). If you are coming from a Civic or something like that, sure tires and brakes may be more expensive but it isn't like they would be if you went to a BMW M5 or another one of the V's competitors.

From my own experience and the knowledgeable folks on this forum, you will definitely have to fix the mounts a few times during ownership and if you don't have the upgraded rear-end it may need replaced as well. This is where the warranty work really comes in handy.

Go for it man - I really doubt you will regret your decision.

mhemsley
02-02-11, 01:19 PM
Good information, as usual. I appreciate the encouragement and the suggestion of the hypnotherapist...LOL! Actually, I'm not much for mods. The car the V will replace is a box stock SVT Focus (seriously fun car to drive, light, 170 hp, 6-speed, big brakes, great suspension, etc. - all the way it came), so the V is a logical step up.

Mike

V-Guy
02-02-11, 01:45 PM
It would be very interesting to know what repairs/replacements the original owner had done - that would have otherwise cost $5K absent the warranty. If he's already replaced the motor mounts and differential (which would be my guess) - especially with the "4th gen" diff - you might have yourself a very reliable car there - that won't need much else while you own it. My car is a '07 and when I bought it, it already had all of the typically troublesome issues resolved - MMs, diff, shifter, etc., plus some other mods that I love. You might have found yourself a similar candidate.

heavymetals
02-02-11, 01:52 PM
You should have been here when a member had a poll on whether to buy breast implants for the wife or rims for the V. :histeric:

06BlackonBlackCTSV
02-02-11, 02:21 PM
You should have been here when a member had a poll on whether to buy breast implants for the wife or rims for the V. :histeric:
:rofl: I hope he got the rims. LOL

rand49er
02-02-11, 05:33 PM
I remember that thread ...

Yeah ... don't recall how that turned out, but I'd hazard a guess that he's happy.

Mike, I sold my ZX3 5-spd with a full Ford racing suspension last summer. Not an SVT, I realize, but I'm tellin' ya, the CTS-V will indeed be a step up. I love shifting ... wouldn't have it any other way, and if you enjoy a manual trans, you will very much enjoy a V with it's low-end torque not to mention superb handling. If you drive it the way you indicate, you most likely won't have extraordinary operating expenses (tires, gasoline, oil, brake pads, etc), and you'll have a big smile on your face to boot.

heavymetals
02-02-11, 05:37 PM
OT. Hey Rand, who won the ZR1?

WesH8398
02-02-11, 06:12 PM
By no means am I living in the lap of luxury either, and I find my V is just fine maintenance-wise. You just have to shop around a bit if you're replacing parts out of warranty and you don't want to spend top buck. This forum will save you LOTS of money (mod bug aside) with advice and experiences from the community here. Granted, it will also give you the itch to mod.

rand49er
02-02-11, 11:08 PM
OT. Hey Rand, who won the ZR1?Oh, crap! OldRoadDawg PM'd me the other day asking if I had heard anything, and I told him I was gonna call the dealership today. Darn snowstorm we got last night got me all discombooberated, and I forgot. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Geez, they're probably waiting for me to come pick it up.

thebigjimsho
02-03-11, 12:06 AM
With a warranty, I got my problems replaced. The gen 4 diff is pretty close to indestructible, much better than the first 2 it had. The radiator, battery and sail panels were replaced as was the diff bushing.

I tracked my '04 a ton and it never broke on me. I think the V was well designed to take the abuse(minus the original diff) and is cheap compared to most cars with this type of power and handling...

WesH8398
02-03-11, 11:20 AM
Sidebar: Can anyone tell me how to decipher which generation diff I have? I recall a thread somewhere that you could post up your serial # and someone would reply back with the generation, but it seems that thread is no longer alive (?). I've got an '06 and understand I could either have a gen III or gen IV ... curious which it is.

Houdini
02-03-11, 12:11 PM
You'll need to get the part number from the sticker that is on top of the diff. It's impossible to read without a flashlight and a cellphone camera or something to stick up there and try to snap a good pick. From the rear of the car the sticker is on top of the case on the right side.

JD03Cobra
02-03-11, 12:49 PM
Bought my 06 with 22k miles on it..now 3 years later with 60k. Other than mods, oil and brakes its been dealership free.

WesH8398
02-03-11, 01:08 PM
You'll need to get the part number from the sticker that is on top of the diff. It's impossible to read without a flashlight and a cellphone camera or something to stick up there and try to snap a good pick. From the rear of the car the sticker is on top of the case on the right side.

Thanks! And what series of numbers reflect 4th generation?

mhemsley
02-03-11, 01:38 PM
I'd be interested in the answer to that question too - how to tell which generation diff is on the car.