: 2012 SRX Getting Revised Engine Lineup (from GMI)

caddycruiser
02-01-11, 11:24 PM
Great read, great 2012 news. 3.6L across the line, for the SRX...coming soon.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/2012-srx-getting-revised-engine-lineup-100038/

dctex99
02-01-11, 11:35 PM
Anyone want to hazard a guess what the REBATE will be on 2011 SRX's this fall?????? I say $5,000!!!!!

caddycruiser
02-02-11, 10:26 AM
The 3.0L and the unique 2.8T are great powertrains, but it always seemed odd that the SRX--of any model--didn't get the more universally praised, powerful and efficient DI 3.6L. Call this a move such as with the Lacrosse, where the 3.0L went away and all to the 3.6L.

The 3.0L is peakier, but the 3.6L feels beefier. Latest updated version should be terrific, for power & otherwise. It makes even the larger, heavier Lamba crossovers and their FWD/AWD layout perform extremely well & is energetic.

Ponyman
02-02-11, 12:42 PM
I had the 3.6 in our two previous CTS's. It is a fine engine. The 08 engine was bad from the factory and had to be replaced at 1500 miles, but this was a fluke, not the norm. Of course, I am sure taht there will be a few that will be crying for a V-8, and saying the 3.6 isn't powerful enough. You can't satisfy everybody, and some you can't satisfy at all.

dctex99
02-03-11, 02:48 AM
The new 3.6 DI will do fine,,I have driven the CTS with it,,its like V=8!!!and,,I have driven 2010 and 2011 SRX's and just can't take a really gutless vehicle,,,but than some are buying Equinox's with 4 cyl; at least they get great gas mileage. I will be in line for a 2012.....and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I waited!!!!!

stevec5375
02-03-11, 09:23 AM
The new 3.6 DI will do fine,,I have driven the CTS with it,,its like V=8!!!and,,I have driven 2010 and 2011 SRX's and just can't take a really gutless vehicle,,,but than some are buying Equinox's with 4 cyl; at least they get great gas mileage. I will be in line for a 2012.....and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I waited!!!!!

Speaking of gas mileage... it will be interesting to see how the 3.6 DI engine does compared to the current 3.0L. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same or better with the new engine. I always wonder if the 3.0L is under extra "strain" due to the weight of the SRX and thus, the diminished gas mileage. The 3.6 may be relieved of that somewhat.

doctormstein1
02-03-11, 10:58 AM
will this engine use regular gas?

Razorecko
02-03-11, 11:03 AM
I would like to know if they are going to keep the same transmission that is on the 3.0L on the 2012 or will they use the beefier better shifting aisin trans thats in the 2.8L

wag 42
02-03-11, 11:24 AM
I think they'll have to upgrade the tranny. The 3.6 pushes the limits of the 6T70. If they don't, it won't be a strong combination.

Personally, I am glad I grabbed the 2.8T-except for the turbo lag, it pulls really strong and shifts smooth as silk. I think that is why it's 0-60 times are considered marginal (a good .5 seconds of lag). The gas mileage sucks, but it's a quality engine with and exceptional transmission.

PJ1520
02-03-11, 11:43 AM
I think they'll have to upgrade the tranny. The 3.6 pushes the limits of the 6T70. If they don't, it won't be a strong combination.

Personally, I am glad I grabbed the 2.8T-except for the turbo lag, it pulls really strong and shifts smooth as silk. I think that is why it's 0-60 times are considered marginal (a good .5 seconds of lag). The gas mileage sucks, but it's a quality engine with and exceptional transmission.

Curious......re the fule mileage, why do you say that?

PJ

wag 42
02-03-11, 11:49 AM
Well, because it does. Actually, it's my wife vehicle and her commute is one mile each way, and all of the back and forth trips she makes to the high school for my son. Average maybe 14 mpg, if lucky. However, it only has about 1500 miles, so hopefully it will improve once completely broken in.

Razorecko
02-04-11, 12:52 PM

lol, the reason it lags is because those asshats at gm restricted the boost level in 1st gear. It's not lag is the ecu actually pulling power. Why i have no idea. Thats why if you notice on the highway if you hit full throttle you have more instant power than if you go from a stop.

PJ1520
02-04-11, 03:07 PM
Well, because it does. Actually, it's my wife vehicle and her commute is one mile each way, and all of the back and forth trips she makes to the high school for my son. Average maybe 14 mpg, if lucky. However, it only has about 1500 miles, so hopefully it will improve once completely broken in.

wag................you will see a measurable improvement as the miles start piling up. Nearly everyone experiences this "bad honeymoon period."

14mpg isn't bad for the off-highway, one mile short hops your wife is taking. The fuel mileage is better when the engine is fully warmed up and has reached engine operating temperature, there is no stop and go, there is minimal idling (waiting), and when sustained speeds exceed 45 mph.

If applicable to you, the ambient Winter temperatures aren't doing you any favors either. It takes longer for the car to warm up. Nor is the Winter formulated gasoline at the pumps. Here all grades of gasoline are 10% ethanol (by volume). Ethanol by volume produces less energy during the combustion process, and the gas mileage suffers.

PJ