: Tinting a 2011 CTS

Tint Stuff
02-01-11, 09:53 PM
Hey guys!
i have a youtube tinting channel and I tinted a 2011 CTS. i thought you guys might enjoy watchin how it is done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dbtAnAL1A
let me know what ya think!

ben.gators
02-01-11, 11:29 PM
Nice job, and by the way, welcome to the forum! Once I tired to tint my old Regal and although I purchased precut tint film, I miserably failed in installation! and from that moment I gave up tinting....

Aron9000
02-02-11, 12:46 AM
Welcome Tint Stuff:cool2:

Tinting is definitely a learned trade, something that you can't get right the first time you do it. Case in point, my poor old Toyota truck has a bad case of the Wal-Mart tint, its all faded purple, bubbled, flaking off, and probably done halfass by the the previous owner to start with.

Anyways, what is the preffered method for removing old tint? On an old car of mine I've used a razor blade and goof-off, wasn't happy with the results, so I broke out the scotch-brite pad to speed things along. That went really well as you can imagine:nono:

Tint Stuff
02-02-11, 11:13 AM
thanks guys!
yea it takes a lot of patience to learn how to tint. the doors are the easiest to strip. i always start with a steamer to see if the glue will come off with the tint. then a little baby shampoo with water and some razor blades for what glue is left over.

on the back window ill let a steamer steam the back window for 20 min to 30 min. hopefully the glue will come off with it. if not there are special made adhesive removers that help. you can also just use a glass cleaner. but for removing the glue ALWAYS use a 00 steel wool or finer grade.

oh yea ive seen scotch brite scratches galore.

The Raven
02-02-11, 11:27 AM
I've got a question too...

When you did that rear window, did you remove the rear deck cover? It would seem to me that with all the liquid involved, that you would have to remove the cover, or the fabric would stain.

Tint Stuff
02-02-11, 02:16 PM
no i left it in. the deck lid only needs to be taken out when its pressing against the glass. i have a very small amount of johnson and johnson baby shampoo mixed with water in my spray bottle. it wont stain anything.

Playdrv4me
02-04-11, 01:50 AM
I've never put tint ON a vehicle, but I've removed it from a couple. Advance Auto had a kit with a mild spray solution and a plastic blade. You're supposed to spray the solution on, then put a plastic bag over it and peel it off, but I'm not that patient. I just spray the crap on and start at it after letting it soak a little.

383 LT1 SS
02-04-11, 10:40 AM
A 50/50 solution of water & amonia will remove the tint and glue residue. It worked on a used car I had bought & the P.O had installed tint. I am not a fan of window tint. I was told that tinted windows are for ugly people. j/k

383 LT1 SS