: 98 seville sts white smoke

bshack
02-01-11, 04:05 PM
First and formost, thanks to all of the mechanically inclined individuals in our forum. You give so much insight to men like myself. I have a problem with my 1998 STS with white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I had a hole in the radiator and did not replace it for 2 months. When I replaced old radiator with the new radiator, I turned the car over and white smoke rolled out of the tailpipe. The car eventually would not stay running and I flooded it out. I am the only owner of the car and the car only has 82,000 miles on it. I know our northstar engines are very common to have a blow head gasket but I would like one of you guys to give some more insight on how to get my car I love so dear back on the road. Where do I start, Thank you, Brad.

Ranger
02-01-11, 04:10 PM
First off, go back there and smell the "smoke". Does it smell like gas, oil or the sweet smell of coolant?

bshack
02-01-11, 04:33 PM
Ranger, I can not tell you. I wish I could. This happened to me about a month ago and my car has been sitting in the garage since being I did not have the money at the time to get it fixed. I can tell you. Once I first put the new radiator in and the car had the white smoke, thick white smoke coming out of the tailpipe, I went and bought some blue devil and put it in the car exactly how the instructions said to. Once I ran the car for the duration it tells you on the bottle as you gradually put the additive in the motor, is when I could not keep my car running. I had to keep turning it over until I burnt the starter up. This is where I am at now with my car. I had a so called mechanic come and look at it and he said the oil was not milky and he seemed to think it was not the head gasket. I am lost. Thanks Ranger. Maybe this helps you out.

drewsdeville
02-01-11, 06:15 PM
So wait, just to confirm: you bought a bottle off cooling system sealer and poured it directly into the engine, and now it won't run?

Submariner409
02-01-11, 06:36 PM
So wait, just to confirm: you bought a bottle off cooling system sealer and poured it directly into the engine, and now it won't run?

Drew, Chew on this: Could he (saying that "thick white smoke" rolled out of the tailpipe) have literally locked up one or more cylinders with block sealer due to a radical head gasket leak ?

97EldoCoupe
02-02-11, 04:28 PM
That's what it sounds like Sub. Depending on what was used.

RippyPartsDept
02-02-11, 04:37 PM
another tragic snake-oil tale

foxjohnc
02-02-11, 07:33 PM
Just curious, but WHY would you continue spinning the engine over to the point where it burnt up the starter? It seems to me that if it wouldnt start back up on the first or second attempt you would stop and try to locate the problem causing the no-start. Its rediculous to burn up a perfectly good starter when your car is givng you every indication it can that you have major problems. The horrible smoking would seem like a good enough indication it me. The blue devil crap is a rip off plain and simple. All it is good for is making your wallet lighter and giving the guys behind the counter who sold it to you a good laugh.

97EldoCoupe
02-03-11, 01:08 AM
It's pretty simple really; we as man who designed and built the machine, command that said machine work when we want it to. I'm just as guilty of this; finished the starter on my 6.5 Detroit Diesel. It was drawing way more power than it should have anyways, and it was spinning too slow to start the engine even with plenty of volts in the two batteries. So I just kept it spinning. I knew it wasn't a good idea but "what the heck". So there's a new starter in the box from GM waiting to be installed.

The HG repair in a bottle is some people's way of crossing their fingers for a few more miles out of the old 32 valve engine. It's not a good idea but I really don't blame them. The first time my '97 Eldorado overheated was on the Ambassador Bridge coming back from Detroit, on a double date. What a place for a car to overheat. I shut the engine off in the USA and coasted into Canada :) Luckily I had family that could lend me a vehicle in the mean time while mine was down but if it was my only ride, I may have crossed my fingers and tried that miracle sealant (Ok I know better so maybe not). But desperate times call for desperate measures.

Let's help this guy Brad, not condemn him for his efforts to keep his beauty operational.

Brad are you willing to save up and spend a few $$ to get this beauty back on the road? White smoke is normally coolant; so you are getting coolant in the cylinders. This is one of two things - a cracked block or a blown head gasket. Most likely a blown head gasket. Do not try starting it any more with that much white smoke. If the block is still good and not cracked, let's not do any more damage.

Ranger
02-03-11, 11:59 AM
The HG repair in a bottle is some people's way of crossing their fingers for a few more miles out of the old 32 valve engine.
It's not called "Hope In A Bottle" for nothing.

drewsdeville
02-03-11, 01:54 PM
Drew, Chew on this: Could he (saying that "thick white smoke" rolled out of the tailpipe) have literally locked up one or more cylinders with block sealer due to a radical head gasket leak ?

Definitely. I just didn't know if I was reading it right. I was confused by "Once I ran the car for the duration it tells you on the bottle as you gradually put the additive in the motor, is when I could not keep my car running."

Put the additive in the motor? Where in the motor?

Nothing seems to surprise me, so I had to confirm that I shouldn't be taking that literally...

bshack
02-03-11, 02:17 PM
Thanks EldoCoupe for your thoughts and keeping me upbeat on my best efforts and to all for your help. Maybe I should not have turned the starter over one to many times, but it was frustrating to say the least to have just have the new radiator installed to have white smoke suddenly appear coming out of the tailpipe. I thought I did my research on the additive blue devil and yes, I was sold trying to save a penny. I have now learned my lesson. Through all of this, is it safe to say to keep me on the bright side this, I have a blown head gasket. I am pretty mechanically inclined but this issue is where I can no longer fix my car car myself. I am confused and just would like an honest opinion on where I need to go from here. Thanks, Brad.

97EldoCoupe
02-03-11, 02:26 PM
I can probably help you out with a good, low mileage used engine, studded, resealed, and ready to install. (what I consider to be reconditioned). Cheaper than a rebuilt unit. Simplest way to get you up and running again, just swap this one in.

bshack
02-05-11, 06:47 AM
Shoot me an email with further details. Brad.Shackelford@yahoo.com.

97EldoCoupe
02-07-11, 06:05 PM
I will do soon. Sorry for the late response I've been on the road the last couple days. There's 4 feet of snow in front of my shop right now.... being cleared as I type this

RippyPartsDept
02-07-11, 06:40 PM
There's 4 feet of snow in front of my shop right now.... being cleared as I type this

yeah we heard about that :)

Robertsong
02-08-11, 09:28 PM
Reading this thread, has caused me some concern. I have a '94 Deville Concours with now about 104,000miles. I had the car in the shop getting my regular oil change, and I asked about white smoke I was seeing. The Service advisor asked me how much, and I said a bit, usually when I first start it up in the morning. Now I also get smoke coming up from the front hood when I hit a stop light after driving a while. I have an oil leak. I just cant see myself clear to pay nearly $4000 to have this remedied, so I go the $8.00 oil drip pan route. The service advisor said at least the color is white, and he thought it was just water vapor burning off. Actually it is not noticeable once the engine is warmed up. Nothing like a "smoke screen". But now I am concerned. Is this something I need to worry about? Any simple checks to put my mind at ease? And on a separate note 97Eldocoupe would a reconditioned engine cost less than the amount being charged around here for sealing my existing north*? Thanks in advance for all good advice

Ranger
02-08-11, 11:08 PM
What you are seeing might (probably is) just be normal cold start condensation. You should see ours up here in the frozen North. Unless you are overheating or using coolant, don't worry about it.

Submariner409
02-09-11, 11:39 AM
^^^ Yeah that...........your mufflers have weep holes in the low spots underneath. The vapor condensation of which Ranger speaks should also leave drips on the garage floor or street.............my car happily piddles a trail as I back out of the garage - burning gasoline creates a LOT of water which steams off as the exhaust system warms up. (Which is why we have stainless steel systems now instead of the old galvanized pipes which rotted out in a couple of years: how Midas Muffler got its start.)