: Part No. Request: Lower MM Bracket Torx Bolt

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 02:59 PM
Need someone with a service manual to look up and see if there is a part no. for the torx bolt that holds the bottom MM bracket. I called a couple dealers and the parts guys told me that it only lists one bolt for the bottom bracket and it is 10mm. There are definitely two bolts that hold that bottom bracket in place and to my knowledge neither is 10mm. One with the normal hex head is 13mm and the other is a torx bolt that requires a E10 reverse Torx bit and the nut on it is 21mm.

I snapped the torx head off of this bolt and need a replacement. :banghead: Anyone able to look this up as I wasn't able to get it over the phone with a parts guy. Or anyone have one sitting around? :cloud9:

I can post pics of the bolt in question in case it isn't clear, but anyone who has done this swap should know what I'm talking about or if you have watched Creative Steel's youtube install video.

Much love to anyone out there that can help.

PISNUOFF
02-01-11, 03:19 PM
702-647-8670 ask for Luke. I think GM superceded that bolt from the torx head to a regular hex.

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 03:40 PM
I talked to Luke. He said it only listed one bolt for the bottom bracket and it was 10mm. Unless they have a new mount that doesn't require two bolts, then I don't think him and I had the right one on the phone. Also 10mm is a little small in my opinion, the other non torx bolt in the bracket that comes out the top was 13mm.

I'd try and drive to a dealer and take a look at their computer to see what it looks like, but I'm in metro ATL and nearest dealer is 30mins out into the subburbs and my car is on jackstands. I could take my wife's car when she gets home, but by then plus the 30min drive, they'd be closed. Both Luke and the other guy said they could fax me the info, but it's 2011 and I don't have a fax machine or a phone line for that matter.

I know Darkman has the pdf for this part (he knows/has everything). Soon as I get the part no. I can call Luke up and he can look up and see if it has been replaced by a reg hex bolt.

CancerJCC
02-01-11, 03:44 PM
PM Rippyparts, he realizes it is the 21st century and is thus available online. When I asked him for a specific part he posted the diagram and allowed me to pick it out. No offense to Lindsay Cadillac but I don't use the phone...

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 03:59 PM
Once again Cancer, I was drinkin...errrr working without your assistance, which lead to this.

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 04:54 PM
Via RippyParts

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1636/2007ctsvmotormount.jpg

I knew that I wasn't crazy and I knew that Luke knew what he was doing. I broke the torx head portion that #8 nut goes on to. In the picture they have it as part of the bottom bracket. That bolt comes out, but I believe they have it like this so you can have options when install/removing it. You can either stick the bolt in the bracket and put it on the frame then snug it tight with the nut. Or you can do like how the Creative Steel install instructions suggest and put it in after the mount is in place.

Since GM is probably going to want me to buy the whole bottom bracket to get this bolt, anyone see any issues with me just using a regular bolt?

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 04:56 PM
Wait, #8 is going to the bottom of the motor mount. I'm talking about the bolt right near there that is attached to #9.

repenttokyo
02-01-11, 05:24 PM
edit.

CadiBlk
02-01-11, 05:49 PM
Thanks to Chris at Rippy Automotive for the help. The torx bolt that I broke is not able to be purchased separately. I am going to end up replacing this torx bolt with a normal hex head bolt.

RoverGuy7
02-01-11, 06:56 PM
are you sure that by 10mm they meant 10mm hex head, im not positive as ive never had to check, but the stud youre looking for is a 10mm(or at least pretty close)... metric bolts are sized by size of the threads, not just the head... if your parts dept came up with a part number, and its pretty cheap, might want to give it a shot and have them order it

CancerJCC
02-01-11, 10:39 PM
Once again Cancer, I was drinkin...errrr working without your assistance, which lead to this.

Lol just trying to help out one of our various supporters who was very helpful to me!

Seems you are on the right track with just using a bolt. I am not sure why they used a stud vice a bolt anyhow. Perhaps if the nut accidentally came off, the stud would still hold the mount in its position with the weight of the motor. If it were me I would throw a bolt in there and be on the lookout for that part off of a wreck etc...

I am sampling a few myself this evening! :alchi:

CadiBlk
02-02-11, 09:40 AM
I guess the diameter of this bolt could be 10mm, but I haven't ever purchased a bolt buy specifying that size. I always buy by head size and thread pattern. The part isn't crazy expensive, but I feel like a bolt will do the same job.

Ya, I see what you're saying about it being a safety bolt, but there is another bolt in there also. I could use a similar approach and use a stud with a nut like they have, just not use some unobtainable torx head stud. I'll post up what I end up with.

CadzillaTN
02-02-11, 11:21 AM
Cadiblk,

Can you do me a favor? Since you are under the car looking at the mm mounting points- -the stock motor mounts have 2 round 'indentions' on the top surface. I need to know if the upper mounting plate (i think item 12 on rippys diagram) utilizes these indentions at all.

I've modified my mounts a bit and need to know if I refill these holes completely vs leaving the small space, will it affect my install.. Thanks

CadiBlk
02-02-11, 12:36 PM
CadzillaTN, I bolted everything up last night (minus my broken bolt), but I believe that the top brackets were completely flat. I am saying that there were no protrusions that would line up with any indentations on the mounts. The CS replacement mounts are flat on both sides and any thing on the brackets that would utilize an indentation would not allow the CS mounts to sit flush. CS provides heat shields also that go on the top of the mount that are smooth.

So, though I can't confirm because I can't look at them right now, I am comfortable saying that if my memory serves me correctly (working with these mounts the past few days) that you would be fine leaving your modified mounts with the holes filled.

CadzillaTN
02-02-11, 09:38 PM
That works, thanks. Now that you mention it, I do recall my cs mounts being flat on the top.

CadiBlk
02-15-11, 12:13 PM
I got a new bolt in there that worked like a charm. I tightened the passenger side stud, that I didn't break, and marked it where the nut would tighten down to. I took the stud out and went to the hardware store to match it up. I bought two lengths of bolts that were near the length of my mark, one longer and one shorter. The longer one was too long (I figured that was going to be the case), the shorter one fit snug as a bug with a washer on it. Took it back out and put a dab of locktite on to make sure it doesn't vibrate out and started to swap the tranny mount.

GDI GM! Trying to use every type of bolt in the fastener world. Bolts in the tranny brace and 2 of them have to be T-50 torx bolts!!!?! I think to myself, no biggie, I have a few big torx bits. I dig through my box and find a T-30, T-40 and a bunch of smaller ones, sob. Had to wait till the wife got home to go buy that bit.

Someday I'll have this project done and then it'll be on to the next one.

Cancer, I brought a couple bottles of some Panamanian sugarcane booze back from my last trip. Come on up for a header reinstall party.

CancerJCC
02-15-11, 10:45 PM
I got a new bolt in there that worked like a charm. I tightened the passenger side stud, that I didn't break, and marked it where the nut would tighten down to. I took the stud out and went to the hardware store to match it up. I bought two lengths of bolts that were near the length of my mark, one longer and one shorter. The longer one was too long (I figured that was going to be the case), the shorter one fit snug as a bug with a washer on it. Took it back out and put a dab of locktite on to make sure it doesn't vibrate out and started to swap the tranny mount.

GDI GM! Trying to use every type of bolt in the fastener world. Bolts in the tranny brace and 2 of them have to be T-50 torx bolts!!!?! I think to myself, no biggie, I have a few big torx bits. I dig through my box and find a T-30, T-40 and a bunch of smaller ones, sob. Had to wait till the wife got home to go buy that bit.

Someday I'll have this project done and then it'll be on to the next one.

Cancer, I brought a couple bottles of some Panamanian sugarcane booze back from my last trip. Come on up for a header reinstall party.

Sounds like you are coming along! Yeah how random is that huge torx, thanks GM.

:alchi: Sounds good, I like to sample any type of beer I can get my hands on. When are you putting them back on? I might be able to sneak up there this Friday and get my laser jammers tested as well...(guy I know with lidar gun lives in atl).